FL- 12 Story Condo Partial Building Collapse, many still unaccounted for, Miami, 24 June 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the early hours of June 24, a 13-story beachfront condo partially crumbled in thunderous, smoke-billowing waves. At least half of the 135 units of the Champlain Towers South in Surfside, Fla., disintegrated in mere seconds in what was most likely one of the deadliest building collapses in American history. Here are the apartment locations of the known missing and the confirmed dead.
Floor by Floor, the Missing People and Lost Lives Near Miami - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
Out of cca 80 apartments in the collapsed part, 34 have listed people missing (some already found) in the article and 5 were confirmed unoccupied at the time of the collapse. The status of other apts isn't indicated. JMO - the woman who saw the pool deck collapse is listed in the wrong unit (the one she lived in previously). At least two of the residents reportedly wanted to move out before the disaster.

Every insurance company who has a current policy on this building is paying policy limits. The building policy should be replacement value of the building, it has to be a lot more than $5 million.

I was talking more about the liability limits to pay out to the families for damages. As for property damage, every insurance policy has a clause in it that you are required to maintain your building. Claims arising from failure to maintain your building can be denied.

I was talking more about the liability limits to pay out to the families for damages. As for property damage, every insurance policy has a clause in it that you are required to maintain your building. Claims arising from failure to maintain your building can be denied.
There is a pretty easy counterargument that the board was doing what it needed to do to maintain the building. I stand by my statement, I would almost wager $ that every insurer will be paying policy limits.

There is a pretty easy counterargument that the board was doing what it needed to do to maintain the building. I stand by my statement, I would almost wager $ that every insurer will be paying policy limits.

Whether or not they were doing what they needed to do to maintain the building is still tbd. They were sued in 2015 by a condo owner for not maintaining the building, so it’s not like this all came out of nowhere in 2018. I think when the current president took over, she really tried her best to get the repairs going. The previous years boards, idk.

I’m not arguing with you. I do think they will pay.

Renters will have additional avenues for payment because they can also sue their landlord (the condo unit-owner) for liability. Same with any guests that were staying there - they can sue the unit owner’s insurance. Homeowners typically can’t sue their own insurance policy for liability damages though so they can only sue the condo association policy (and maybe the board members?). Again, I’m speaking about liability here, not property damage. In order for the liability to pay out, the policy holder has to be negligent in some way.

From the article above

“We’re removing items that we can that might fall off the building,” Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said at a Tuesday afternoon briefing. “We are taking necessary measures to avoid those sort of falling items.”

Officials confirmed that crews haven’t been able to access a 45 feet area around the remaining building because of the shifting debris and other hazards.

THE LATEST: Death toll rises to 16 in Surfside; Dump trucks begin removing debris away from scene

From the article above

“We’re removing items that we can that might fall off the building,” Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said at a Tuesday afternoon briefing. “We are taking necessary measures to avoid those sort of falling items.”

Officials confirmed that crews haven’t been able to access a 45 feet area around the remaining building because of the shifting debris and other hazards.

THE LATEST: Death toll rises to 16 in Surfside; Dump trucks begin removing debris away from scene
One of the newly identified victims was a police chief's mother who lived in apt #602. She was one of the people who intended to move out. The victims identified so far all lived on the northern side of the building, floors 6-11.

I’m not arguing with you. I do think they will pay.

Renters will have additional avenues for payment because they can also sue their landlord (the condo unit-owner) for liability. Same with any guests that were staying there - they can sue the unit owner’s insurance. Homeowners typically can’t sue their own insurance policy for liability damages though so they can only sue the condo association policy (and maybe the board members?). Again, I’m speaking about liability here, not property damage. In order for the liability to pay out, the policy holder has to be negligent in some way.
I wonder if the city is liable at all. They let the building continue to be occupied. They could have condemned it.

Gio Insignares

@giowplg

1m

Update - Four additional bodies were pulled from the site of the Surfside building collapse overnight, bringing the total number of confirmed deaths to 16, officials confirmed Wednesday.

This screen shot from video at above link reminds me of Katrina. How they do X's with information from the area being searched. I've heard that they sent drones into some locations vs. physically entering the condos that are still standing.

Katrinalike.JPG

Sara Nir, a resident, told The Post that shortly before 1 a.m., she noticed loud “knocking” noises that she assumed were caused by construction work. Around 1:14 a.m., she heard a noise that she thought sounded like a wall crashing down, and she left her ground-level apartment to complain to a security guard in the lobby.

She estimated that about a minute later, while she was in the lobby, she heard a very large boom and saw that part of the surface-level parking area — and part of the pool deck — had collapsed into the underground parking garage. She and the two of her children who were home at the time then ran from the building.

Nir’s son called 911 at 1:19 a.m., he said, a time that he said he confirmed by checking the time stamp on his phone. About a minute later, a dispatcher with Miami-Dade County Fire and Rescue called for an engine to respond to an alarm at the building, audio shows...

The experts said that the columns may either have suffered “axial failure,” meaning that they suffered too much stress from compression, or punching shear failure, when a concrete slab fails under pressure at the point that it connects to the column and falls. The column effectively “punches” through the slab. This can cause a succession of collapses as weight accumulates from above, the experts said.
The video footage shows that about seven seconds after the initial collapse, a second section of the building starts to fall…

According to Jack P. Moehle, a professor of structural engineering at the University of California at Berkeley, the first section probably “dragged the remaining portion sideways until its gravity-load carrying capacity was exhausted and it, too, collapsed.”

Experts noted that, unlike the first section, the second section visibly twisted and sloped to one side in the moments before it fell…
https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...e/2021/building-experts-miami-condo-collapse/

Attachments

• 1A269F36-4D6C-4F77-8EB9-144C8A49B153.jpeg
    1A269F36-4D6C-4F77-8EB9-144C8A49B153.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 698
  • 59A22F52-E661-4346-AF03-42AD7D7FBA51.jpeg
    59A22F52-E661-4346-AF03-42AD7D7FBA51.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 57
Sara Nir, a resident, told The Post that shortly before 1 a.m., she noticed loud “knocking” noises that she assumed were caused by construction work. Around 1:14 a.m., she heard a noise that she thought sounded like a wall crashing down, and she left her ground-level apartment to complain to a security guard in the lobby.

She estimated that about a minute later, while she was in the lobby, she heard a very large boom and saw that part of the surface-level parking area — and part of the pool deck — had collapsed into the underground parking garage. She and the two of her children who were home at the time then ran from the building.

Nir’s son called 911 at 1:19 a.m., he said, a time that he said he confirmed by checking the time stamp on his phone. About a minute later, a dispatcher with Miami-Dade County Fire and Rescue called for an engine to respond to an alarm at the building, audio shows...

The experts said that the columns may either have suffered “axial failure,” meaning that they suffered too much stress from compression, or punching shear failure, when a concrete slab fails under pressure at the point that it connects to the column and falls. The column effectively “punches” through the slab. This can cause a succession of collapses as weight accumulates from above, the experts said.
The video footage shows that about seven seconds after the initial collapse, a second section of the building starts to fall…

According to Jack P. Moehle, a professor of structural engineering at the University of California at Berkeley, the first section probably “dragged the remaining portion sideways until its gravity-load carrying capacity was exhausted and it, too, collapsed.”

Experts noted that, unlike the first section, the second section visibly twisted and sloped to one side in the moments before it fell…
https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...e/2021/building-experts-miami-condo-collapse/

Whoa. Good catch on that first photo as I had not noticed as to those pilings still standing and punched through. (reposting your photo below)

At this time, there are some on scene personal videos/testimonials/interviews that night that were done.. waiting to discuss on the main thread/public thread here.... waiting here at WS for them to hit MSM. Sitting on hands................ sitting on hands... as will take time to hit MSM.

1a269f36-4d6c-4f77-8eb9-144c8a49b153-jpeg.302932

At this time, there are some on scene personal videos/testimonials/interviews that night that were done.. waiting to discuss on the main thread/public thread here.... waiting here at WS for them to hit MSM. Sitting on hands................ sitting on hands... as will take time to hit MSM.
SBM, BBM. This could be sped up if someone tweeted at a reporter or two.

This morning's press conference:

Hopefully, the video will start at the correct time, since I re-linked it. If not, the actual PC starts at around 15:13.

I'm sure that the fire chief is doing a great job coordinating the rescue work, but in the PCs, IMO, he seems to me to come across as in-exact, self congratulatory, and somewhat defensive when answering questions. He must be under a tremendous amount of stress though, so I should cut him some slack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member