FL- 12 Story Condo Partial Building Collapse, many still unaccounted for, Miami, 24 June 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, a 17 page letter was sent to all of the residence providing excruciating detail of the issues when they were notified of the special assessment. You can read that letter here: https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/documents/miamiletter0628.pdf

As the former president of an HOA, I can tell you, that residents often just don’t care. The whole reason they bought a condo in the first place so they don’t have to deal with maintenance issues. The board has to be elected every year, and board members often campaign on not raising maintenance fees and not doing special assessments. It’s literally how they get elected. A special assessment requires a majority vote from the residents who live in the building. Many of the people in condos are on fixed incomes and have no way to pay an extra $1000 a month for the next 15 years — so they vote no.

The only solution I can see here is more government oversight. Condo boards cannot be left in charge of their own safety because they have a major conflict of interest.

I read this days ago, thanks though. This letter was shared with them 70 days ago, at which point it was probably too late anyway. I am referring to the 2018 reports.

“I want to pick up 100% of the cost from the county and the state over the first 30 days,” Biden said at a command briefing Thursday morning, flanked by Gov. Ron DeSantis and Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava. “I think I’m quite sure I can do that.”

Biden in Surfside: ‘I want to pick up 100% of the cost’

Live..... with rewind capabilities. He's at the hotel where displaced folks are relocated (Marriott hotel)

ETA: This has ended, but it appears that this specific livestream will follow with more LIVE when it happens and they can put online of Biden's visit etc.

Last edited:
Probably FEMA money.

Agree, as he said he would pick up the expenses of the county and the state. And put a 30 day time period on it. Perhaps later today he will state any federal help for those affected and their financials... dunno if federal can pick up loans for folks mortgages they had outstanding or etc etc etc. Then again, all are exposed to financial losses whether they had mortgages or not.

And ALLLLL is overshadowed of the loss of so very many lives.

Live..... with rewind capabilities. He's at the hotel where displaced folks are relocated (Marriott hotel)

ETA: This has ended, but it appears that this specific livestream will follow with more LIVE when it happens and they can put online of Biden's visit etc.

Back live in hotel right now - President just walked in and speaking to first responders... said thanks to first responders ....

backlive.JPG

Speakingtofirst.JPG

ETA: Feed just ended when they started the Q&A.... looking for another live stream... they all ended at the first of the Q&A???

Anyone have live?

Last edited:
I read this days ago, thanks though. This letter was shared with them 70 days ago, at which point it was probably too late anyway. I am referring to the 2018 reports.

The letter sent 70 days ago references the engineer in report from 2018, so it appears it was shared. The board commissioned it, so legally they had to make it available for all owners to view. Whether the owners took the initiative to go view it, I do not know.

Another great article. The word "DEVELOPERS" is going to become worse than it already is!!

I live on a barrier island. The citizens protest big developers. And we have won a couple of big ones. (The wanted a race track, a bigger airport and gambling!!!)

Who is going to be willing to be on condo boards anymore? Or town commissions --the common county form of governance in Florida? A single vote can change EVERYTHING.

As this article states, Reiber won some of his bullying efforts "3-2"... a single layperson vote.

The love of mammon .....

@JaimeInLA If you or any folks come across MSM stuff, and as you are seeing about names/stories/background of all affected, please share here on the threads as many here are interested.

TIA
OK, I'll start with some of the names not named in the NYT layout.

11th floor:
Brad and Barry Cohen (unit #1110)
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article252421998.html
Gloria Machado (unit #1111)
Loved ones share photos of those missing in Surfside condo collapse – WSVN 7News | Miami News, Weather, Sports | Fort Lauderdale
Tzvi and Itty Ainsworth (renting; unit # unknown)
Florida tower collapse: Couple who lived in Australia among the missing
Simon Segal (unit # unknown)
Who is still missing in the Miami condo collapse? Here's what we know.

That leaves one apt on the 11th floor with unknown status. Five were occupied and one unoccupied.

6th floor:
Estelle Hedaya (unit #604)
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article252388108.html

7th floor:
Ruslan Manashirov and Nicole Doran (renting; unit #703)
Brooklyn Man And Wife Missing In Deadly Miami-Area Tower Collapse

Last edited:
The letter sent 70 days ago references the engineer in report from 2018, so it appears it was shared. The board commissioned it, so legally they had to make it available for all owners to view. Whether the owners took the initiative to go view it, I do not know.

It's sad that the recent letter from the assoc president is the first time that there seems to be any urgency. I am sure many people who read the 2018 report probably just saw the price tag and said NFW. Especially if it wasn't their main residence and these issues weren't staring them in the face every day. This whole situation is such a shame.

This is a different building with similar issues. Watch the video and look at the damage. It's shocking!

Condo Repair Problems – WSVN 7News | Miami News, Weather, Sports | Fort Lauderdale

Another great Florida article. Thanks.

This article provides a HUGE answer to what is likely going to happen up and down the coastlines.....

If the board refuses to act, you can file a lawsuit to ask a judge to order them to fix the building. If they still refuse, the JUDGE CAN REMOVE THE BOARD AND APPOINT A RECEIVER TO MAKE REPAIRS.

Is it just me or does anyone else think the cities and counties should conduct independent inspections and condemn these buildings, as necessary. Yes, it would be wildly inconvenient for these homeowners, as well as costly, but it also could potentially save more lives.

I don't have any answer to such. There are many folks who strongly believe that government should not interfere with freedoms etc. Florida is perhaps well know for such? (e.g. the stance of many and government re COVID that is outstanding in the US?)

Forgive me if this was already posted about the victims that were found overnight: Live Updates: Rescue Work Paused Over Fears of Further Collapse at Florida Condo Site

Even before the pause, the search had progressed slowly. The bodies of two sisters, ages 4 and 10, were pulled from the rubble on Wednesday as the known death toll rose to 18. Lucia Guara, 10, and her sister, Emma Guara, 4, were among four victims identified by the authorities on Wednesday evening, along with their mother, Anaely Rodriguez, 42. Rescue workers also found the body of Andreas Giannitsopoulos, 21.
Two sisters and their mother. How devastating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
31Deeds