FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #1 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last fall, a Mississippi bail bondsman and frequent YouTube vlogger noticed an alarming comment left on one of his videos. "I'm going to be a professional school shooter," said a user named Nikolas Cruz.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/briannasacks/the-fbi-was-warned-about-a-school-shooting-threat-from

"They came to my office the next morning and asked me if I knew anything about the person," Bennight told BuzzFeed News. "I didn't. They took a copy of the screenshot and that was the last I heard from them."

FBI agents contacted Bennight again Wednesday, after a 19-year-old named Nikolas Cruz allegedly opened fire at a Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in south Florida, killing at least 17 people.

JMO
From reading that I get the feeling they did not do the needed investigation to figure out who the person was. I hope I am wrong.

If they would have figured out who he was and gone to talk to him and let him know they are watching him then maybe just maybe it would have put enough fear in him that he may not have acted.

Everyone at school seemed to know about this kid. So I am curious how many times some authoritative figure went and talked to the boy to let them know they are watching him.

Thoughts and prayers.........and campaign donations, thank you very much.

From the same article as above

They were very much on their own. The kids seem to roam around and come and go as they pleased,” Richie Speno said.

"Police were called out numerous times, and Shelby said Cruz was seen shooting at a neighbor’s chickens.

“I told my husband I was so glad they moved. I’m afraid he was the kind of kid who would do something crazy,” Shelby said. “The older he gets, the worse kind of trouble he got into.”

From what I've been reading since yesterday, this incident was 100% preventable, JMO. :notgood:

I agree about “if you see something, say something” but then what is the authorities’ protocol after that? Do they even have one?

Didn’t the **FBI investigate** NC? And if they did, what were their options?

We need protocols for this type of thing.

Exactly. It sounds like someone did report his strange SM posts so what investigation was done after that.

Quite a few cases now where people are doing the right thing and it sounds to me that nothing gets done about it. We need to pressure authorities to tell us what their protocol is once we do "say something" because obviously it is not enough what they are doing and more must be done.

Blank eyes..Nobody is home.

Very constricted pupils IMO. You can always see it in their eyes. They are either wide-eyed with constricted pupils OR their eyes are half-mast. Just look at mugshots of serious criminals, you'll see it.

From the same article as above

From what I've been reading since yesterday, this incident was 100% preventable, JMO. :notgood:

I totally get you want this to be preventable, as we all do, but what would be done to prevent these lone attackers? Lock people up for life who may commit a crime? Preventative punishment doesn't work in society. Interventions, sure, but what interventions? Would counselling have stopped this? 24/7 monitoring? Unfortunately until more is understood why this keeps happening and action taken at a broader preventative intervention level, nothing can be done at an individual level. It's a sad truth.

And whilst I'm a firm believer in the right to own guns within legal limits (I'm in Australia btw), the US' rules on gun ownership are just so backward. In Australia, sure we have gun crime, violence with and without firearms, but at the end of the day, the strict controls mean gun ownership is possible, but highly monitored. It doesn't eliminate the existence of guns but it sure as heck reduces the number of everyday weirdos that have access to them. The statistics say it all - and regardless of political orientation, our PM at the time of the Port Arthur killings, John Howard, saved many many many lives by acting swiftly for legislative change and a gun buy back scheme straight after that atrocity.

Exactly. It sounds like someone did report his strange SM posts so what investigation was done after that.

Quite a few cases now where people are doing the right thing and it sounds to me that nothing gets done about it. We need to pressure authorities to tell us what their protocol is once we do "say something" because obviously it is not enough what they are doing and more must be done.

It sounds like the school gave clear warnings about him to LE, too. That should have been sufficient, but from what I'm reading, its no longer possible to prevent someone with mental illness from buying dangerous weapons and ammo.

Police can't lock him up until he breaks the law. Sadly, the first time he did so was when he killed 17 people.

My solution: Boycott Florida or any state that can't deal with theses problems. Works great. I ask my friends and family who are thinking of retiring in FL or down south to think again. I also refuse to travel there on business or for professional conferences. Wanna have a beach vacation? I'd rather go to CA or the East Coast or North Coast.

I totally get you want this to be preventable, as we all do, but what would be done to prevent these lone attackers? Lock people up for life who may commit a crime? Preventative punishment doesn't work in society. Interventions, sure, but what interventions? Would counselling have stopped this? 24/7 monitoring? Unfortunately until more is understood why this keeps happening and action taken at a broader preventative intervention level, nothing can be done at an individual level. It's a sad truth.
SBM

Exactly, LE have their hands tied until a law is broken or it can be proven the person is a danger to themselves or others and can be given inpatient treatment. jmo

We could start with addressing our issue of toxic masculinity and our macho relationship with the-thing-that-shall-not-be-named.

And whilst I'm a firm believer in the right to own guns within legal limits (I'm in Australia btw), the US' rules on gun ownership are just so backward. In Australia, sure we have gun crime, violence with and without firearms, but at the end of the day, the strict controls mean gun ownership is possible, but highly monitored. It doesn't eliminate the existence of guns but it sure as heck reduces the number of everyday weirdos that have access to them. The statistics say it all - and regardless of political orientation, our PM at the time of the Port Arthur killings, John Howard, saved many many many lives by acting swiftly for legislative change and a gun buy back scheme straight after that atrocity.
An AR-15 can be bought legally. That tells you everything you need to know. Guns and serious assault weapons are everywhere in the USA. Illegally with criminals and legally with enthusiasts and weirdos. The supply and penetration is crazy. Supply and manufacturing need to be strangled to have any hope

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Eta

Snip

Cruz’s adoptive mother Lynda Cruz died of pneumonia on Nov. 1, family and friends told the Sun Sentinel on Wednesday. Cruz’s adoptive father also died of a heart attack years ago.
iirc from an article I posted yesterday, they married in 2002 and he died in 2004.

Bump.

Let's put aside the gun issue. Let's just assume everyone has access to guns and that's all there is to it.

To get these kids to stop killing their classmates we have to figure out why this keeps happening.

What is going on at home? In their life?

That's what we need to find out. Why these kids think killing is the answer.

I am at a loss.

Tricia
PS. Did I mention do not bring up guns? Oh, yes I did right at the top. SEE IT RIGHT THERE IT SAYS " LET'S PUT ASIDE THE GUN ISSUE. LET'S JUST ASSUME EVERYONE HAS ACCESS TO GUNS AND THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT". Did you read it? Good!

SBM

Exactly, LE have their hands tied until a law is broken or it can be proven the person is a danger to themselves or others and can be given inpatient treatment. jmo

And even then, where is the line drawn so that human rights of people with a mental illness are respected? Who can say definitively whether things like fantasy writing and threats made to others are going to lead to a crime? It's just a messy grey area to protect society but also protect individual rights and not return to the days of locking up and throwing away the key for people in mental institutions.

He really and truly looks inherently evil - as much as I hate saying it.
There's something about his eyes that just looks incredibly sinister.

What a sad life for this kid. It’s certainly not an excuse, but still sad. A lot of tragedy in his young life. Adopted as a baby. Father died during his formative years. Behavior worsened. Mother asks another family to take the boys after the father dies. Expelled from school. Only remaining parent (mother) died.

Certainly all of those things greatly impact someone who may have a lot of unresolved feelings from being given up for adoption and then losing the only family he’d ever known. Such a tragedy all around.

[emoji22][emoji22][emoji22]

Talked with SD briefly this morning. I asked if she had heard about it, she said yeah Florida? She heard about it while at school in the locker room from a girl with a smart phone (she only has a dumb phone). She knew about it before I did (hectic day).

They drill twice a year. Get to class, lock the door, lock and cover windows, get down on floor. They don't drill during class changes. That needs to change.

After a deer-in-the-headlights moment, she did name a boy, and she said they try to include him in things, but he is reluctant to join. I told her to imagine if she were queen of the universe to think about what she would might do to try to fix things and we would continue the conversation later. That's as far as we got in 10 minutes.

It would be great if we as a group could share our letters to our schools congressmen etc here, once we get to that point. Maybe a no discussion actions thread or something.

JMO
From reading that I get the feeling they did not do the needed investigation to figure out who the person was. I hope I am wrong.

If they would have figured out who he was and gone to talk to him and let him know they are watching him then maybe just maybe it would have put enough fear in him that he may not have acted.

Everyone at school seemed to know about this kid. So I am curious how many times some authoritative figure went and talked to the boy to let them know they are watching him.

What is attached to these notions are that they are dealing a person who is processing the world around them in a normative fashion

They are not --telling an autistic child not to do anything most times results in nothing

they dont have the capacity to do that

I noticed this am what we do as a society is alway try to attach blame - blame permits those blaming to go on with their business

now i am "doing " anything either? It wont stop it will only get worse and worse

you need asphalt to repair a road and asphalt costs money and their is no money nor any money coming

hate to a be a bummer but spent years realizing their are no options in terms of placement so we cant really blame like it is happening this am

what was the FBI to do

Funding is start not gonna happen

were kinda stuck in the sad place we have gotten in

I am very very confused about his caretaker changes dates times his ages duration of living where ? From birth

It would also be helpful to know dates of his private school placements and reasons for getting expelled over and over

it is not gonna change much but will give us insight into the life this kid experienced growing up

wonder how long he was at dollar tree - kinda surprising

after each expulsion how long was he in kicked out mode

when was he kicked out of ROTC -- him wearing his rotc shirt is classic autistic behavior they need intense consistency

changes in most things (who is around them food their rooms can overwhelm totally and they have an inability to control themselves they are scared to death (this is when they are younger)

a lot of them must wear the same things it is consistent stuff like when young iif they are ok eating pizza and you put a hamburger down forget it just forget it -- a volcano erupts

like watching the same video over and over if changed look out

its is loud scary they can hurt themselves or others

he held a job and did make it kinda to school so he had functioning

peers said he was always twidgeting his thumbs

an example below i selected the age i did -- see what they experience as they are maturing a rough rough world

just to get an idea adult:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CumTA_k0a0

they are in need of blood down there

Lynda and her husband, Roger, who died many years ago, adopted Nikolas and his biological brother, Zachary, after the couple moved from Long Island to Broward County.

Another relative, who spoke on condition of anonymity over the sensitive matter, said Nikolas had been diagnosed with autism.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...g/fl-school-shooting-cruz-20180214-story.html

Lynda, who died of pneumonia, adopted Nikolas the day he was born.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missingjustice89