FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with you on being willing to take what comes for daring to mention the obvious.I try to abide by the rules out of respect but sometimes you have to speak out instead of dancing around the issue.
For the person clapping earlier....I wonder what they fear when it comes to a certain discussion.
Fear of the thread being shut down?

Fear of the thread being shut down?

rsbm:

(snip)

To instruct people to not discuss the only thing that can really stop these atrocities and their never ending occurrences (Americas Gun Laws) Is just plain wrong and really makes any conversation about this meaningless and changes nothing ...

(snip)

In this instance I am in complete disagreement and I believe ALL you guys should be talking about is serious changes to the availability of guns. (I'll take the suspension willingly as I feel I have to say this )

I can't begin to explain how obvious this is to the outside world ... my sincere condolences goes to America today.

I wondered if he stopped going after he turned 18.

Gun purchased feb.17

Yes, I agree with you...after he turned 18. Not unusual imo. Becomes very difficult on parent/s at that point!

Thank you. I hadn't seen BettyP's post above and didn't want to repeat...

So, he stopped treatment about a year ago. Around the same time he purchased the rifle

He didn't even try to keep the AR 15 purchase a secret since he posted that ad/pic of the automatic rifle on his SM acct.
Wonder if his mother knew about his purchase. And where did he get the funds for all the guns and ammo he had?
One of his old instagram posts showed a pic of 7 large rifles and comments hinting they were his.

Also I wonder if there was any $$$ financial incentive for the friend's family taking him in? Is it possible he was still a
ward of the state due to his past mental problems?

As far as we know his 1/2 bio brother is still with the original friends of his family.

I wondered if he stopped going after he turned 18.

Gun purchased feb.17

If the family knew he was in treatment even one year ago, then the death of his Mother, why would there ever be any access to deadly firearms? Did they resign themselves to not being interested in his SM, friends or hobbies? Did they share any family or holiday meals or activities with him?

Not blaming this family, as I am sure there were not many people available that would have taken him in knowing he was unstable.

A report I read in the news media said he hadn't accessed mental health services for over a year.

http://www.richmond.com/news/nation...cle_df0927a2-dc94-52f8-8de9-5d27717b3825.html

I'm only bringing it up because some of our leaders have proposed it as a solution to the problem without discussing the problem of access to quality, affordable mental health care. There are many other factors to consider in finding ways to prevent this epidemic of gun violence.

I am with you ONE HUNDRED PERCENT.

Actually, it's also the responsibility of Dept of Homeland Security. They're the ones who are supposed to be keeping track of domestic terrorists and right wing hate groups. They're the ones who are better equipped to monitor domestic hate group activity online and prevent these events.

That said, the federal funding for this work was cut last year

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/346552-trump-cut-funds-to-fight-anti-right-wing-violence

Had DHS been monitoring social media activity of these right wing hate groups, they would have picked up on this kid's connection to them and his extremely troubling posts in social media. They have better legal and surveillance tools to seek out and stop these terrorists than the FBI. It will be interesting to learn how they missed Cruz's association with this group:

Nikolas Cruz Trained With White Supremacists, Group Claims

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nikolas-cruz-trained-with-florida-white-supremacist-group-leader-says/

https://www.adl.org/blog/florida-wh...-alleged-parkland-school-shooter-nikolas-cruz

This is interesting imo - it's DHS that came up with the 20 million for 'the wall' prototypes last year. Wall prototypes were not included in the DHS budget - something had to be cut to find it. Thanks!

Presser coming. Can this type of weapon be broken down? I just heard on CBS he had a back pack and duffel bag.

Presser coming. Can this type of weapon be broken down? I just heard on CBS he had a back pack and duffel bag.

A day after a mass shooting that killed at least 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, a student Thursday talked about her friend’s face-to-face encounter with the shooter.

Appearing on “The Laura Ingraham Show,” Addison Jost said her friend saw accused shooter Nikolas Cruz putting together his AR-15 rifle in the bathroom.

Jost said her friend told her Cruz cocked the weapon and pointed it at him.

“He turned to Chris, and he said, ‘You should run. I would run if I were you,'” she said.

Jost said her friend immediately ran to the nearest security guard, Aaron Feis, who also was an assistant football coach at the school.

She said Feis responded immediately.

https://www.lifezette.com/polizette/florida-school-shooter-to-student-i-would-run-if-i-were-you/

When did he purchase the rifle? I wonder if it coincided with his no longer keeping up with the local mental health clinic he had been receiving services from

Which one? According to police, he had several long guns and at least one pistol, too.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43067530

ETA: Also, link to charging documents.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/02/15/us/document-cruz-arrest.html

He was driven to the school by an Uber driver.

He purchased the AR 15 in February 2017

I did not watch what were some of the suggestions he outlined?

My take was that there were no suggestions, if by that you mean specific policies. The sheriff and survivors have been vocal with their own suggestions -- which seem to focus less on the "crazed kid" angle and more on...other components of the attack.

As the parent of a kid in grade 4 and another about to start middle school, I would plan to advocate hard for solutions, starting now, and having spoken to several people today, I don't think many will be satisfied with what we've heard thus far from Congress (we live between the UK and Canada).

A day after a mass shooting that killed at least 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, a student Thursday talked about her friend’s face-to-face encounter with the shooter.

Appearing on “The Laura Ingraham Show,” Addison Jost said her friend saw accused shooter Nikolas Cruz putting together his AR-15 rifle in the bathroom.

“He turned to Chris, and he said, ‘You should run. I would run if I were you,'” she said.

Jost said her friend immediately ran to the nearest security guard, Aaron Feis, who also was an assistant football coach at the school.

https://www.lifezette.com/polizette/florida-school-shooter-to-student-i-would-run-if-i-were-you/
Oh my heart.

And today we have this...

cache.php

6th-grade student arrested for writing note, threatening to shoot up Davie school

Is a 6th grader an 11-year old kid in the USA? did he/she hand this page in to a teacher -I am guessing given the message "Be prepared b+tch"- at his/her school? I cannot open the link to read it myself :confused:
Thanks.

A security guard was tipped off as NC was putting the gun together or shortly after the gun was put together AND there was an armed LE official on the school campus and NC still managed this much catastrophic damage. Awful.

Well, speaking of mental health services, I wonder if the killer had access to it? His mother was recently deceased, he was 19 yrs old. There's probably a very good chance he had no health insurance or access to Medicaid. It will be interesting to know if being uninsured caused him to fall through the cracks.

Yesterday, I read somewhere that he previously had been seeing a mental health provider at a local clinic in the area, but he stopped showing up for his appointments over a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the family knew he was in treatment even one year ago, then the death of his Mother, why would there ever be any access to deadly firearms? Did they resign themselves to not being interested in his SM, friends or hobbies? Did they share any family or holiday meals or activities with him?

Not blaming this family, as I am sure there were not many people available that would have taken him in knowing he was unstable.

This is not directed at you, Gooddeeds, but I'm using your post to highlight something...

All of those teenagers, teachers, and parents are now 'in treatment' for the PTSD they acquired yesterday. So, should they not be allowed to purchase a gun ever again in their life? Perplexing, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vec416