FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #2 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's hope. I swear I'm losing faith after every mass shooting though.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...11/can-we-identify-psychopathy-in-young-child

We need to wake up and accept the fact that we have an unhealthy culture - not all of it, of course as we also have a fabulous culture as well!! But we need to put our good aspects to work.

Part of my job is working with people who are visitors to my city. Just today I was talking to someone from Asia who commented - with some amazement - at how friendly Americans are. He said he heard about that quality, but didn't really understand it until he encountered it. We are a friendly people. And we're generous and we value ingenuity and progress. So, let's put those positive qualities to work and FIX this (as best we can...of course there will always be violence, no need to remind me of that).

Sorry to keep repeating myself. But I'm not interested in bashing the perp (I get it - he was and still is a clear danger and must be put away) - but I am very interested in doing something positive. I am at a loss to what that is and am frustrated to feel at a loss. I do feel called to....something, but don't know what! I also realize I'm sort of spewing this "let's do something, but what?" emotion on the board and I will try to keep in check.

jmopinion

“We can and should add up the number of students and teachers who are killed in school shootings and not forget their names, or forget the gift of their lives. But the casualties of school shootings just don't include those killed or wounded. Each child who has to run for their life from their own school, each parent who has felt a stab in their heart to hear a child is in danger and even children and parents who may be thousands of miles away from the crime but terrified by it, have been inflicted with fear.”

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/17/586682171/this-weeks-school-shooting-was-a-very-american-tragedy

Our children should not be growing up like this ... :tears:

attachment.php

[FONT="]Four children with hands around each other approach a vigil post at Park Trails Park in Parkland honoring the 17 students that were shot at the high school.[/FONT]
[FONT="]C.M. Guerrero cmguerrero@miamiherald.com
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article200598934.html#storylink=cpy

[/FONT]
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article200598934.html

One silver lining is that this particular community seems like it's pulling together instead of apart in the aftermath of the tragedy. These kids might have life-long bonds with each other that will remain strong and intense - and might go through life truly valuing their relationships as they know how precious life is.

Sad way to learn these lessons, of course.

jmo

“We can and should add up the number of students and teachers who are killed in school shootings and not forget their names, or forget the gift of their lives. But the casualties of school shootings just don't include those killed or wounded. Each child who has to run for their life from their own school, each parent who has felt a stab in their heart to hear a child is in danger and even children and parents who may be thousands of miles away from the crime but terrified by it, have been inflicted with fear.”

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/17/586682171/this-weeks-school-shooting-was-a-very-american-tragedy

That is a good idea. Put up a marker in Washington D.C. with the names on it. Make us see that marker and feel shame until we figure out how to keep from adding more names.

jmOPINION

We need to wake up and accept the fact that we have an unhealthy culture - not all of it, of course as we also have a fabulous culture as well!! But we need to put our good aspects to work.

Part of my job is working with people who are visitors to my city. Just today I was talking to someone from Asia who commented - with some amazement - at how friendly Americans are. He said he heard about that quality, but didn't really understand it until he encountered it. We are a friendly people. And we're generous and we value ingenuity and progress. So, let's put those positive qualities to work and FIX this (as best we can...of course there will always be violence, no need to remind me of that).

Sorry to keep repeating myself. But I'm not interested in bashing the perp (I get it - he was and still is a clear danger and must be put away) - but I am very interested in doing something positive. I am at a loss to what that is and am frustrated to feel at a loss. I do feel called to....something, but don't know what! I also realize I'm sort of spewing this "let's do something, but what?" emotion on the board and I will try to keep in check.

jmopinion

Awesome post. :)

Each state must be different because they still exist maybe not enough of them.
Although psychiatric hospitals still exist, the dearth of long-term care options for the mentally ill in the U.S. is acute, the researchers say. State-run psychiatric facilities house 45,000 patients, less than a tenth of the number of patients they did in 1955. With the doubling of the U.S. population, the researchers write, this is a 95 percent decline.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/384838/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

From this article previously posted:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...al-nikolas-cruz-abusive-mom-article-1.3826633

"Among the more disturbing reports was a Jan., 15, 2013, incident where Nikolas — then age 14 — refused to attend school. He exploded in anger after Lynda Cruz hid her son’s Xbox as a punishment.

The youth “retaliated and threw a chair, dog bowl and a drinking glass across the room” before denouncing his mom as a “useless b---h,” according to the police report.

Nikolas Cruz was handcuffed and held in the back of a police car until a counselor from a nearby behavioral health facility arrived with prescribed medicine that calmed him down."

XBOX- what games was he playing? I am sorry to be a echo chamber, but were they first person violent video games? This is a discussion that has to be added to the national dialogue. IMO it cannot be ignored, it is one of the elephants in the room.

Gold said that Cruz escaped his misery by playing video games for eight, 12, even 15 hours a day. Gold, who owns a film and video production company, sometimes would play a game or two with them.

“It was kill, kill, kill, blow up something, and kill some more, all day,” he said.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article200754714.html

Lots of new info here

To longtime friend, school shooter Nikolas Cruz was lonely, volatile, ostracized

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article200754714.html

Sounds like his mom was lacking a support system herself:

“'He was ostracized his whole life,' said Gold, who said he was one of only four people, including Nikolas, and his younger brother, Zachary, who attended the funeral of his mother, Lynda Cruz, in November."

(From the link above)

:(

jmo

I think you're right. Maybe we need to look at changing that for the truly mentally ill. JMO

Yes, we closed the institutions/mental hospitals. They had turned into snake pits. Hundreds/thousands of buildings are rotting against the night sky while kids and others are running around murdering each other. Re-open these buildings and it will only be a matter of time before they devolve into snake pits again. Take a look at the abuses going on in nursing homes.

We need to clear the slate and come up with a better plan.

You may be right about generalizing but it is important to recognize that all that you want to hold accountable may have been performing to the best of their duties given the constraints they have----person power, monetary and legal. If we want to be effective do the assessment and put the resources there to fix the problems. The assumption that all of the people and agencies fail is not a fair assumption until WE know that they did.

I am all for people losing their jobs if they failed to perform. That said, when looking at performance, it is not feasible to do if you don't look at resource limitations. For example, a teacher who has a class of 30 and books for 15 will probably not have children perform as well as a teacher who has the resources needed to do the job. If the school board did not have resources to upgrade security at a school, we must accept that what they did was their best. If a school board has millions for training and items requested but fails to train and utilize the funds should absolutely accountable. If protective services don't have enough people hired to do the home visits, we can't complain that it takes time to get out to a home--they must prioritize and will surely get it wrong.

I am surely no throwing up my hands. I am saying that calling for blood can scapegoat and give many the sense that justice was achieved. But that can be short sighted and lead to the problems down the road. I don't want that. I assume you don't either. I see the focus on "bad" agencies without looking at policy and funding is throwing up the hands. I guess i see it just the opposite that you do.

Let’s not make excuses for the agencies/ organizations such as the FBI, DCF, the local LE, or the school administrators. Our job as a society is to ask the questions and demand accountability.

Let **them** tell us why they all failed. Don’t assume the reasons for their failure. Let’s just ask why.

The brave YouTube guy that reported NC’s horrendous posts was interviewed once when he alerted the FBI (although they did not contact N.C.). He was then interviewed again by the FBI the day of the shooting and informed him this was the shooter! How disturbing.

Let’s let the agency/authorities answer the questions and be accountable.

I’m catching up and just saw this.

Bumping. Thank you, Tricia.

We are allowing 1 gun control debate on Websleuths. CLICK HERE to join the discussion.

If anyone mentions the gun debate someone please, post this link to show them where to go for gun talk.

If anyone keeps posting about guns in this thread please alert and I will take care of it.

Take the gun discussion to this thread, please.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?365927-Gun-Control-Debate

we are allowing 1 gun control debate on websleuths. click here to join the discussion.

If anyone mentions the gun debate someone please, post this link to show them where to go for gun talk.

If anyone keeps posting about guns in this thread please alert and i will take care of it.

Take the gun discussion to this thread, please.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?365927-gun-control-debate

please no posting about guns or anything to do with guns on this thread. Click on the link above and take gun discussions to our gun debate thread. Thank you

Sounds like his mom was lacking a support system herself:

“'He was ostracized his whole life,' said Gold, who said he was one of only four people, including Nikolas, and his younger brother, Zachary, who attended the funeral of his mother, Lynda Cruz, in November."

(From the link above)

:(

jmo

Seeing that Nikolas was adopted - were there not any warning signs at all given to the adopting parents from the agency they adopted him and his brother from?

I don't know if anyone has found out anything about the adoption of the two, but I read one article that said the older one was adopted around age 2 and the brother (half brother actually) was younger and they were adopted at the same time. I wonder if they came from one of those orphanages overseas or from an original birth parent with psychosis. I have not read anything about the adoption in detail and wonder if this was one of those overseas adoptions.

I was reading the threatening texts that some of the classmates received via text that are being reported in Buzzfeed. Reports say he was not exactly expelled but moved to another school, then there are reports that he was moved yet again to one and perhaps another school through some other process other than expulsion. This sounds like people were terrified of him almost like the professors and students were terrified of Cho prior to the Virginia Tech shooting.

The NY Times posted this https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/17/us/nikolas-cruz-florida-shooting.html . I don't know what a "threat assessment" actually is, but it seemed like an army of people over and over again tried to minimize the violence. This could have been posted earlier to if it has already, I apologize for reposting it.

Yes, we closed the institutions/mental hospitals. They had turned into snake pits. Hundreds/thousands of buildings are rotting against the night sky while kids and others are running around murdering each other. Re-open these buildings and it will only be a matter of time before they devolve into snake pits again. Take a look at the abuses going on in nursing homes.

We need to clear the slate and come up with a better plan.

I'm all ears, what's the better plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member