FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #2 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a bad idea at that - a buzzer system to get in.

Maybe that's what we need in the USA...
We have that in northern indiana since well before 2000 in all ages

I don't know about anyone else here, but does it seem like there is a lot more mental illness in people nowadays than there used to be, especially in our young people? Makes me really wonder what on earth is going on sometimes? I guess social media gives a lot of kids a platform nowadays too, and once upon a time kids didn't have all this technology their brains are swamped with now. Life used to be a lot more simple back then it seems. All IMO.

Back "then" parents had a lot more control over their children. Today's parents are afraid of going to jail if they physically discipline their children. I believe a good spanking would work wonders on many of today's kids, put a little fear of consequences in them.

Back "then" parents had a lot more control over their children. Today's parents are afraid of going to jail if they physically discipline their children. I believe a good spanking would work wonders on many of today's kids, put a little fear of consequences in them.

BBM

That has become a big problem in our society, next to no consequences for antisocial behavior. That needs to change.

It's bedtime for me.

:offtobed:

There has to be a consensus amongst Congress and our political bodies about a few things in order to keep a safe society.

One, we must determine the need for analysis on the topic of these young, crazed killers....a very deep statistical analysis of our current American culture from A to Z. This helps to identify what we are up against. Let’s just agree that we have a complex society chock full of unusual influencers, history, stats, & laws.....because we do.

Two, analyze our definition of constitutional rights and when there’s a break from that with an individual’s rights based on reports, their actions, words, etc

Three, what are the agencies/authorities/parental figures allowed to do about it after the investigation

Four, where can we place these individuals that pose harm to society and to themselves and for how long?

Five, there has to be accountability for agencies/authorities that fail to take reasonable action

We’ve got to start getting **real** about our issues. Utilize a multi-faceted approach & put it into action. No more generalizations, no more fear of offending some group.....

I completely respect your opinion. Your Son has a healthy mind. My point is that when there is mental illness, combined with unmonitored psych drugs, unregulated violent video games, parents that are ill equipped or negligent or just too busy putting food on the table, terrible social service assistance. The video games provide a fantasy outlet that becomes obsession to those that "wronged" them. This fantasy advances to a point that it turns into planning and then acting on that fantasy, to the detriment of Us.

The game grand theft auto is not even the worst of them, but there is a part of the game where you can hire a prostitute, your money in the game goes down. The car jumps up and down simulating sex. Then the prostitue gets out and you can shot and kill her then your money bank goes back up. Repetition and hours being played causes desensitation that is absolutely not healthy for a child's developing mind, much less a child that has mental issues.

I am not going to say anything else about violent video games because it seems to be a touchy issue. Good night.

I get it. I do. But... I also must admit, I loved playing GTA! That was a hilarious game! ( Not intended to taken seriously).

Much like the movie Pretty Women staring Julia Roberts and Richard Grere. Yup there was prostitution in that very popular comady, but oddly, I never turned a trick, nor a proved of actual prostitution from watching that movie, or playing Grand Theft Auto.

[/B]
BBM

Adressing the bolded:

In my opinion it's less of an "elephant in the room" then it is a Red Herring...

No media exists that will turn an emotionally healthy person into a killer, any more than a normal four year old who plays "Whack-a-Mole" would ever be inclined to bash in the head of an actual mole with a mallet.

I have a son who's been a Sergeant in the Army for 20 years now. He owns guns, goes target shooting and he still plays Call of Duty and other games, which he has done since he was young.

He has never harmed an animal or another human being in his life intentionally. All of my sons have played games, listened to music, watched movies, with violent content, as have I.

In fact, I am a huge Stephen King fan, love horror movies, and as I recall, I had a respectable high score in Mortal Combat back in the day...

I remember I took a lot of crap off people who insisted that my son was going to be a failure in life because of how often he played these video games.

The underlying basis of most of these games are about skill and strategy. No sane individual would believe that these games have any bearing on what would happen in real life, if you shot someone.

My son has great leadership skills and strategic skills and he took those skills, honed in those video games and he now uses them as Army Special Forces Air Defense, to protect you. All of us.

He did not take from those games "gee I should be a mass murderer".

Of all people, we who feed our minds day in and day out, with violent crimes, here on websleuth should understand the distinction. Jmo.

Agree, but the violent video games didn't turn him into a racist, anti-Semitic xenophobe. This guy was full of hate against many groups of innocent people. Those were the motives behind his plan to attack the school. We need to take a hard look at what is stirring up the rising tide of violent hate and intolerance towards people of color, of other religions, genders, lifestyles, of other races and ideologies. I hope he wasn't learning that from video games, but he was learning it elsewhere, most likely on the internet.

I get it. I do. But... I also must admit, I loved playing GTA! That was a hilarious game! ( Not intended to taken seriously).

Much like the movie Pretty Women staring Julia Roberts and Richard Grere. Yup there was prostitution in that very popular comady, but oddly, I never turned a trick, nor a proved of actual prostitution from watching that movie, or playing Grand Theft Auto.

We had a great time playing GTA in my place as teens, lol. But then, we are neurotypical.

Agree, but the violent video games didn't turn him into a racist, anti-Semitic xenophobe. This guy was full of hate against many groups of innocent people. Those were the motives behind his plan to attack the school. We need to take a hard look at what is stirring up the rising tide of violent hate and intolerance towards people of color, of other religions, genders, lifestyles, of other races and ideologies. I hope he wasn't learning that from video games, but he was learning it elsewhere, most likely on the internet.

I felt his motive for shooting up the school on Valentines Day was he was still reeling from some other guy “taking her away” from him. There were comments posted upthread about him still harassing his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend.

Re the FBI:

Can the FBI Be Legally on the Hook for the Parkland School Shooting?

<snip>

(1) The Victims Probably Can’t Win A Personal Injury Case...

(2) The Victims Probably Can’t Win A Case For Violating Constitutional Rights...

(3) But, Congress Can Investigate...

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profil...on-the-hook-for-the-parkland-school-shooting/

http://www.makaremlaw.com/federal-tort-claims-act-can-sometimes-sue-government-negligence/

When does the FTCA Say You can Sue the Government?

The FTCA allows you to file a lawsuit for injury, loss of property, or wrongful death caused by a federal employee only if it was caused by negligence and if you could file a similar lawsuit against a private person and win. So, if state law doesn’t allow you to sue someone in a certain situation, then you can’t sue the government for that same event.

Furthermore, for you to be able to sue, the federal employee must have been within the scope of his/her employment when the event occurred. For example, if an FBI agent crashed into you while chasing a suspect, then you might have a case. However, if the same FBI agent crashed into you while driving his kids to school, you can’t sue the government, even if he was driving his work vehicle.

You can only file a lawsuit if the claim is the result of negligence and not intentional misconduct, though in a few cases you can also file for intentional misconduct if the party to blame was a certain type of federal law enforcement officer. For example, you cannot sue the United States for assault, false imprisonment, false arrest, abuse of process, slander, battery and so on, unless any of these actions are the result of a law enforcement officer’s negligence

Thank you for that. Now, where do we go from here?

It might be a good idea to follow good examples used in other, similar developed nations like Canada, England, France, Australia, etc. They do a much better job of providing a comprehensive system of quality health care (including mental health care) for all of their citizens. They don't bother with the expensive, inadequate patchwork system like the US has, putting the financial burden on state and local governments and leaving many people with no help at all.

No system is perfect, but other countries are doing a much better job than the US. We should try to learn from the systems they have in place.

I felt his motive for shooting up the school on Valentines Day was he was still reeling from some other guy &#8220;taking her away&#8221; from him. There were comments posted upthread about him still harassing his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend.

I don't think we know all the details yet, but there is a great deal of evidence of his angry racism, etc. in his social media posts leading up to the attack. Hopefully we'll learn more from investigators and experts. Hopefully, they won't sweep this stuff under the rug. It's been part of the motivation behind many domestic terror attacks like this one.

I'm not sure why our leaders, the news media and some of the public resist recognizing these attacks for what they are: terrorist crimes. Not all of them, but many are. Time to face reality. It's not always because of bullying and romantic rejection, it's about putting fear into the public psyche and promoting certain ideologies.

There has to be a consensus amongst Congress and our political bodies about a few things in order to keep a safe society.

One, we must determine the need for analysis on the topic of these young, crazed killers....a very deep statistical analysis of our current American culture from A to Z. This helps to identify what we are up against. Let’s just agree that we have a complex society chock full of unusual influencers, history, stats, & laws.....because we do.

Two, analyze our definition of constitutional rights and when there’s a break from that with an individual’s rights based on reports, their actions, words, etc

Three, what are the agencies/authorities/parental figures allowed to do about it after the investigation

Four, where can we place these individuals that pose harm to society and to themselves and for how long?

Five, there has to be accountability for agencies/authorities that fail to take reasonable action

We’ve got to start getting **real** about our issues. Utilize a multi-faceted approach & put it into action. No more generalizations, no more fear of offending some group.....

Very good post, food for thought. We NEED to come up with answers for the sake of our children/grandchildren, and ourselves. Too long have WE allowed society to drift into the gutter, dragging all of us and our families with it. Time to speak up, CHANGE things, and I don't necessarily mean what's going on in another forum. There are many ways to changes things, to bring our society from the brink of destruction, and make no mistake, we are standing on the brink. No, I don't have a link for that.

19-year-old shooter entered Sunrise Tactical Supply in February 2017 to purchase the AR-15 rifle used to slaughter 17

The gun store owners who sold confessed Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz the semiautomatic refile he used to kill 17 people on Wednesday said their devastated the weapon came from them.
Michael and Lisa Morrison said that they are so 'mortified' over the event, they shuttered their business, Sunrise Tactical Supply, indefinitely on Friday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ool-shooter-close-business.html#ixzz57QWXuR8f
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ool-shooter-close-business.html#ixzz57QW5ZDZY

I want to know his commitment history

I felt his motive for shooting up the school on Valentines Day was he was still reeling from some other guy &#8220;taking her away&#8221; from him. There were comments posted upthread about him still harassing his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend.

I think this may be the article you are talking about:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/remysmidt/cruz?utm_term=.qkryZyZrx&bftwnews#.airX0X0VJ

If you scroll to the bottom there is a text message exchange between the new boyfriend and killer that is very alarming. I just don't have words to express how I feel.

It might be a good idea to follow good examples used in other, similar developed nations like Canada, England, France, Australia, etc. They do a much better job of providing a comprehensive system of quality health care (including mental health care) for all of their citizens. They don't bother with the expensive, inadequate patchwork system like the US has, putting the financial burden on state and local governments and leaving many people with no help at all.

No system is perfect, but other countries are doing a much better job than the US. We should try to learn from the systems they have in place.

Exactly. That's another thing I intend doing, tomorrow, looking into the way other countries handle health care. Although, I better do it quick 'cause I see other countries changing right before my eyes.

19-year-old shooter entered Sunrise Tactical Supply in February 2017 to purchase the AR-15 rifle used to slaughter 17

The gun store owners who sold confessed Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz the semiautomatic refile he used to kill 17 people on Wednesday said their devastated the weapon came from them.
Michael and Lisa Morrison said that they are so 'mortified' over the event, they shuttered their business, Sunrise Tactical Supply, indefinitely on Friday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ool-shooter-close-business.html#ixzz57QWXuR8f

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ool-shooter-close-business.html#ixzz57QW5ZDZY

Would you be kind enough to give us a quick rundown on funding, or the lack thereof, for mental health? You seem to be quite knowledgeable on the subject.

TIA

I was just thinking about this very same thing. If I was the store owner and after looking over this kid, I strongly felt that he shouldn't have a gun, what could I do?

I doubt very much that I would have sold him a gun, but on what legal basis could I deny him making that purchase?

My thought was, hey it's my store I don't think he should have a gun and I'm not selling him one.

Nikolas Cruz cut his arms on Snapchat and said he wanted to buy a gun in September 2016, more than a year before he was accused of killing 17 people in a school in Parkland, Florida, records obtained by the South Florida Sun Sentinel show.

The incident on the digital social network prompted an investigation by sheriff&#8217;s deputies and adult welfare investigators from the Department of Children & Family Services.

The documents provide further evidence that Cruz was a troubled teen who repeatedly went without help before he stalked the halls of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School with an AR-15 rifle on Wednesday.

In another stunning example, the FBI acknowledged Friday that it ignored a tip last month that Cruz was at risk of committing a school shooting.

A person close to Cruz contacted an FBI national tipline on Jan. 5 with concerns about the young man&#8217;s &#8220;gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting,&#8221; the agency said in a news release.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...las-cruz-cutting-snapchat-20180216-story.html

fromlink

....investigation came four days after Cruz&#8217;s 18[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday, meaning he could legally purchase a rifle.

&#8220;Mr. Cruz has fresh cuts on both his arms. Mr. Cruz stated he plans to go out and buy a gun. It is unknown what he is buying the gun for,&#8221; the DCF report reads.

.......concluded there were &#8220;some implications&#8221; for Cruz&#8217;s safety but determined he was receiving adequate support from his school and outpatient care from Henderson Mental Health in Broward County.

......Cruz came under DCF&#8217;s supervision and care because he was classified as a vulnerable adult due to mental illness..

&#8220;[Cruz&#8217;s] final level of risk is low as [he] resides with his mother, attends school and receives counseling through Henderson,&#8221;

the Snapchat incident alerted at least four local agencies &#8212; DCF, the Broward Sheriff&#8217;s Office, the Broward school district and Henderson Behavioral Health

, one of the largest mental health providers in the county &#8212; that Cruz was in crisis and posed a potential danger to himself and others.

.......A mobile crisis unit from Henderson had been called out at some time in the past to figure out whether Cruz needed to be committed for psychiatric treatment under the Baker Act,

.....mother, Lynda Cruz, told investigators that her son had been diagnosed with autism and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. He was being treated for depression, had a behavioral disorder and had been taking medication for the ADHD, the report said. Investigators

......did not know whether he was still taking the medication.

.....mother told investigators his behavior was linked to &#8220;a breakup with a girl who was cheating on [him].&#8221; She and the girl&#8217;s mom had told the teens they &#8220;had to end the relationship because it was unhealthy for everyone.&#8221;

....began cutting himself after his relationship broke up,

She said her son did not have a firearm. She said she had confiscated his air gun because he didn&#8217;t follow house rules about only shooting it &#8220;within the backyard and at targets.&#8221; It was unclear precisely what he was doing.

Cruz had &#8220;hate signs&#8221; &#8212; including a Nazi symbol and the words &#8220;I hate N------&#8221; &#8212; drawn on his book bag

........ department has petitioned the court to be allowed to release any and all records we have on this individual,&#8221;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sachivcochin