FL - 17-yo Boy Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why was Trayvon suspended from school? A great mystery solved! Doesn't explain though why he was shot and killed.
And another mystery solved in the same article. It says he went to the store before the game.

"Trayvon was not a violent or dangerous child. He was not known for misbehaving," the teacher said. "He was suspended because he was late too many times."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/os-trayvon-martin-shooting-tension-20120317,0,3347110.story

Another article littered with discrepancies. Was the suspension 5 days or 10 days. Was the home that of a relative or his fathers girlfriend. IIRC, I thought one of the articles I read said 'mom took him to school every day.' Was GZ in a criminal justice program at school or a general education program. Rather than things becoming more clear the more articles I read, it seems like most of the articles dispute each other IMO. That's why it's hard to get a handle on what happened that night. :moo:

Another article littered with discrepancies. Was the suspension 5 days or 10 days. Was the home that of a relative or his fathers girlfriend. IIRC, I thought one of the articles I read said 'mom took him to school every day.' Was GZ in a criminal justice program at school or a general education program. Rather than things becoming more clear the more articles I read, it seems like most of the articles dispute each other IMO. That's why it's hard to get a handle on what happened that night. :moo:

He was living with his mother (who presumably had a chance to take him to school every day) and visiting his father. In the end, none of these details really matter.

Yoda, she consistently refers to the person we now know was GZ as "the man" or "this person" during the call. It's about 14 minutes, and what I transcribed above was the first time I heard her refer to Trayvon as "a young person." It was also after she offered to open her window to better hear what was going on outside--it's not clear to me, as I listen, whether she did open that window or not. I can't hear any outside conversation or activity on her call. But if she did open it, it sounds like she was close enough that she may have overheard GZ or an EMT or someone at the scene mentioning Tray's age? She says it was all happening "10 feet" from her window. I'll go listen again and see if I pick up anything else.

OK, didn't hear any other references to Tray's age in that call. But having listened to it like 8 times now, I am 100% convinced that this 911 operator is an angel here on earth.

<modsnip>. GZ was running after Trayvon..!!!! I don't care if Tray had been suspended or expelled, if his father NEVER called to find him, if he didn't have a cell phone or if he bought a 40 oz of Budweiser at the 7*11 as opposed to skittles and iced tea,
Zimmerman should have minded his own <modsnip> business and stayed in his car and/or not pursued Tray as the police had instructed. End of story.
We heard the 911 calls <modsnip> and it is so obvious that GZ was in Rambo mode.
This was such an unavoidable crime and the Sanford PD :maddening:
I won't even go there but I will pray that karma is in full effect for the whole LOT of the "good ole boys"

I'm walking away from commenting on this case. I love this place too much to --- well --- I love this place too much. I just can't!

R.I.P. Trayvon and I hope that no matter what... somehow... someway... there will be justice for you! Give all our littles angels (Caylee, Shaniya, etc...) hugs and kisses!

Listen to the 911 calls, if you have questions, do not depend on someone else to listen and transcribe. The voice inflection is important and so are so many other aspects of those calls. I know they are hard to listen too, but if you want answers to your valid questions then please listen.

Why was Trayvon suspended from school? A great mystery solved! Doesn't explain though why he was shot and killed.
And another mystery solved in the same article. It says he went to the store before the game.

"Trayvon was not a violent or dangerous child. He was not known for misbehaving," the teacher said. "He was suspended because he was late too many times."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/os-trayvon-martin-shooting-tension-20120317,0,3347110.story

Thanks. I have never been able to understand how a suspension for this offense helps the student. GZ made a fatal error.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/17/o...ase-of-trayvon-martin.html?src=me&ref=general

Trayvon had left the house he and his father were visiting to walk to the local 7-Eleven. On his way back, he caught the attention of George Zimmerman, a 28-year-old neighborhood watch captain, who was in a sport-utility vehicle. Zimmerman called the police because the boy looked &#8220;real suspicious,&#8221; according to a 911 call released late Friday. The operator told Zimmerman that officers were being dispatched and not to pursue the boy.

Zimmerman apparently pursued him anyway, at some point getting out of his car and confronting the boy. Trayvon had a bag of Skittles and a can of iced tea. Zimmerman had a 9 millimeter handgun.

How can it be hard to get a handle on what happened that night when those things would have no bearing on what happened when he was murdered?

How does the length of suspension change anything?
How does what program GZ was in change anything?
How does whether it was the home of a relative or girlfriend change anything?

As far as his mom taking him to school everyday, wasn't it reported that he was staying with his dad during his suspension? Where's the discrepency?

In the end none of it changes the fact that GZ took it upon himself to pursue a person who was doing nothing wrong. It doesn't change the fact that GZ was in no position to pursue anyone, toting a gun. It doesn't change the fact that this was a 17 year old kid going to the store, whether he went before or during the game doesn't change anything. It doesn't change the fact that GZ was instructed NOT to pursue him but he did so anyway.

Hi peeps. Seems like it's getting a little hot in here... :hot:

Please remember your IMOs and JMOs and :moo: s.

It's entirely possible to disagree with another poster's interpretation in a manner that is respectful and not aggressive. In fact, we expect that out of our sleuthers. And it's absolutely paramount when emotions start running high.

(Please note that disagreeing respectfully does not mean posting "With all due respect," in front of snarky or aggressive comments or questions. Mods have special goggles to see through that kind of thing.)

Sometimes folks just have to agree to disagree. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Everyone take a breath.

Where this post lands is random.

WHY in the world did his parents not say that? I mentioned that possibility a WAY long time ago, kind of ruling it out - saying something along the line of surely if he was suspended for excessive tardies they would have said that immediately. Really? They felt like they had to keep it a secret that he was suspended for "excessive tardies"? And REALLY, the school district would do that? Ours doesn't. You don't get off going to school just because you're constantly late. You get INschool suspension for that, so you don't miss out academically and so the school doesn't lose out on your state funding for being in class.

Oh my word, a young man has lost his life because this man couldn't follow the simple instructions from the 911 operator. I can't believe there is still a massive debate going on about the reasons in which Trayvon was suspended from school. The facts in this case are very simple - Trayvon was walking home, this "would be cop" didn't like his looks and the way he was acting, he calls 911 who specifically directs him to not pursue the individual, yet he continues to do with a loaded weapon and ends up murdering this 17-year-old you man for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON. As I said last night, this man is no better than the murderers that we follow in other cases on this board.

~JMO~

WHY in the world did his parents not say that? I mentioned that possibility a WAY long time ago, kind of ruling it out - saying something along the line of surely if he was suspended for excessive tardies they would have said that immediately. Really? They felt like they had to keep it a secret that he was suspended for "excessive tardies"? And REALLY, the school district would do that? Ours doesn't. You don't get off going to school just because you're constantly late. You get INschool suspension for that, so you don't miss out academically and so the school doesn't lose out on your state funding for being in class.

Because the reasons for his suspensions have about zero to do with what we are discussing here?

Perhaps they weren't trying to intentionally keep anything a secret.

More likely after just finding out that their child was gunned down and knowing that his suspension had no bearing on it, it wasn't a priority. More likely that they didn't think at the time that they needed to or should have to explain to anyone all of the details regarding a suspension that had zero to do with his murder.

JMHO

Because it's completely and totally irrelevant. What Trayvon's parents said or didn't say has absolutely no bearing on this case or the fact that George Zimmerman is a murderer!!

I just have to wonder if Trayvon was white, if anyone would be asking these types of questions.

Seriously? Do you really think there will be justice? A white child was killed in this general area and her white mother got away with it.

We have seriously looked at relocating to the area after DH finishes graduate school. I am rethinking this.:banghead::moo:

If Tray's parents have not done so yet, they need to get that autopsy report.

Because the reasons for his suspensions have about zero to do with what we are discussing here?

Any kind of correct information adds to an understanding of what happened IMO. When there are continual discreptancies, it only tends to muddy the waters. The timeline has been way off from the beginning. Much has been made of GZ's 'cop wannabe' *attitude*. Shouldn't we also be curious as to the *attitude* of TM that night? So far, in what I've read, we don't have knowledge of which of these persons was calling for 'help' before the shooting. At least one of the witnesses first said it was GZ, and that's what GZ himself said to LE. TM's father said the voice wasn't that of his son. GZ, at least in my opinion, didn't sound 'out of control' on the 911 call he made. And he didn't sound like he was *running*, as he was able to maintain a conversation with the 911 operator. I think it would be important to know if TM did leave his home *during the game* simply to get snacks. Or if TM left his home say after an argument with his father, and that's why his father didn't go out to look for him. Why did his father call police to see if he'd been arrested as his only method of 'looking for him'. If GZ 'chased him down and shot him in cold blood' then he should be charged with that crime. But before making a judgement on any of this, I for one, would like to know everything that would/could/might play into the dynamics of that night. :moo:

The fact that TM's father said 'he'd brought TM to this place to 'work out' what ever reason he was suspended from school for, IMO, does play a role. Especially if, as I'd read, TM's mother 'takes him to school each day'. If that is the case, then why is he excessively late enough to get suspended? Does anyone else recall whether TM had just started at this school a number of weeks earlier? I *thought* I'd read that he'd recently changed schools? Something like six weeks earlier. That would have put the change after the xmas holidays? No reason other than it being another piece of the puzzle. Just curious again. Did he just start at this new school and was already suspended? I can't recall for sure, and hopefully I'm not confusing this with another case, but I distinctly recall hearing *some* mother say 'I drove him to school each morning' in an interview on TV. This was early on, when this case was first brought to the attention of the general public. Much like with any case, each piece of information is another puzzle piece IMO. And in order to see the whole picture, we have to have pieces that fit together. :moo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkravetsky