FL - 17-yo Teen Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Demonstrators plan to march to the state capitol in Tallahassee, Florida on Friday to protest the death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, who was shot and killed by a neighborhood watch volunteer while walking home from a convenience store.

The death has sparked outrage nationwide.

More than 1.3 million people have signed an online petition urging authorities to file criminal charges against George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch leader who has told police he shot Martin in self defense.

(snip)

http://wtvr.com/2012/03/23/rallies-set-over-trayvon-martin-shooting/

I apologize if this was posted earlier, I searched the thread but didn't see it.

"Why Blacks Don't Trust Police". This is front page on CNN.com?!!!

This is doing exactly what people are accusing GZ of doing-stereotyping.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/22/opinion/granderson-florida-shootings/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Sounds to me as if this is the everyday experience of black Americans and it makes me very very sad.

There is a tremendous diffenence when the sterotyping is done by just average joe citizen, member of a minority or not, and when it is done by LE.

We vest LE with the job of keeping us safe, and when we do that they have privileges that the average citizen does not have, they are allowed to carry loaded guns, and tazers and other implements which when used can do us bodily harm. The are given the trust that when they write a report and report about evidence that it is factual, and truthful and complete, because those reports can become the evidence that is used to deny someone of their freedom.

So while sterotyping of police is wrong and shouldn't be done, it is far less harmful than sterotyping BY police .... since they actually have power of authority over average citizens IMO JMHO and stuff

I didn't know about the PC 'convicting' the victim in the media or witnesses changing statements...and Sanford police are 'notorious' for being a 'good ole boy, back slapping, covering each others and their offsprings butt's' police department. That have a long history of that.

I do maintain that they have no authority or cause to 'arrest' when the DA and SA fail to press any charges. :rocker:

If LE had followed SOP such as drug test GZ,knock on doors talking to witnesses,documenting any injuries instead of deciding without following SOP charges would have been filed IMO.Failure of LE is why GZ is still walking the streets instead of being behind bars where he does belong. I have been asking a lot of questions and I thank many here for taking the time to respond to my questions.

It would be nice to know what Geraldo thinks is "proper" attire for a kid running out to the store while watching sports on tv.

Suit and tie? Khakis and an Izod golf shirt?

LOL @ CA wearing hoodies.

I'd personally love to see Geraldo in a hoodie, but only if he's wearing it backwards. :)

That's awesome. If you're watching the livestream - the kids are spelling out TM on the football field.

Are you saying that every cop out on the street has to call the prosecutor before they can make an arrest? That is incorrect. It is up to the police whether to arrest and up to the prosecutor whether to press charges.

Can't pull my quote forward because I'm all kinds of challenged that way :) But that is not 'exactly' what I said. In THIS situation, not 'every' situation, I think the police went to prosecutors, presented the 'evidence' that they had and it was the prosecution who declined to prosecute.

I'd personally love to see Geraldo in a hoodie, but only if he's wearing it backwards. :)

After his ridiculous statements I would like to see him off the air.This is the USA any of us should be able to dress in any clothing we want to wear.No one deserves to be executed because they decide to wear a hoodie.

Okay, thanks button is just not enough....ROFL

you owe me, I spit coffee all over my monitor....stealth humor can be dangerous.

Its on our local news now and they are reading off all the schools that are participating - well over 15 schools now. Also reporting that the kids, themselves have organized all of this. Now reporting that some middle schools are walking out too.

There were some problems at a local mall by some of the kids - Southland Mall in south Miami Dade - the Macy's had to be shut down. No word on arrests yet.

Sorry, no link - its on my noon news at www.local10.com

During the million hoodie march, one of the networks flashed a picture sent to them of someone who had a picture of his chiuahua in a hoodie,(extemely cute too BTW) I wonder if Geraldo would have said it made him look like a rottweiler?

Can't pull my quote forward because I'm all kinds of challenged that way :) But that is not 'exactly' what I said. In THIS situation, not 'every' situation, I think the police went to prosecutors, presented the 'evidence' that they had and it was the prosecution who declined to prosecute.

I'm not so sure that is what happened here. LE was quoted as saying they were conducting their investigation, that nothing they had from their investigation disproved GZ's claim of self defense and unless they could disprove it, they could not arrest. Then last week ( I believe it was last week, might have been this week) they reported that they had completed their investigation and had turned over their files and reports to the state attorney's office for them to decide what, if anything, would be done.

It isn't my understanding from following this that their decision to arrest or not arrest was based on any input at all from the state attorney's prosecutors.

IMO

During the million hoodie march, one of the networks flashed a picture sent to them of someone who had a picture of his chiuahua in a hoodie,(extemely cute too BTW) I wonder if Geraldo would have said it made him look like a rottweiler?

At one time I had 5 Rottweilers and when I dressed them in their hoodies they looked as sweet and mild as a chihuahua.

Sounds to me as if this is the everyday experience of black Americans and it makes me very very sad.

There is a tremendous diffenence when the sterotyping is done by just average joe citizen, member of a minority or not, and when it is done by LE.

We vest LE with the job of keeping us safe, and when we do that they have privileges that the average citizen does not have, they are allowed to carry loaded guns, and tazers and other implements which when used can do us bodily harm. The are given the trust that when they write a report and report about evidence that it is factual, and truthful and complete, because those reports can become the evidence that is used to deny someone of their freedom.

So while sterotyping of police is wrong and shouldn't be done, it is far less harmful than sterotyping BY police .... since they actually have power of authority over average citizens IMO JMHO and stuff

It's not just a race issue it's a teen issue, too. I lived in a small town in CT and LE was always stopping young drivers asking them if they had drugs in the car. There is a big problem with drugs in this country but not all teens use them. And if LE has to ask they already know they don't have any in the car, they are just harassing them because they can. Funny, too, because given permission by the driver they never search.

Even LE has the ability to set young people on the right path if they get into trouble. When my husband was in LE he did that. When he passed away someone he had arrested and took the steps to place this young man on the right path away from crime wrote in the comment section of my husband's obit how he had been helped by my husband and how grateful he was for his help. Made me cry because at the time this happened my husband never mentioned this young man to me. But I did find out later there were many he helped to get a fresh start. Attitude is everything but it should never be a reason for someone's death. jmo

Miami high schools walking out again today. There are several schools involved today.

Here's livestream video:

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/Trayvon-Martin-Walkouts-at-Miami-Schools-143962536.html

I just think this is great, I am happy and encouraged when our young people show that they are aware and active in our society and that they do care about issues beyond what is going on in the music world and on videos...

I am also very hopeful that the State of Florida, is properly incentivized and motivated to do a very thorough investigation and make that investigation transparent to the family of TM and the public. No matter what might have to be rethought and looked at as far as the law, and even if it becomes apparent that they have to gut the Sanford PD and hire all new people entirely.

:giggle: Quick, lock up your poodle!

My chihuahua mix is smarter than Geraldo.

D Wade is joining the support:

pic-wade-hoodie.jpg

http://www.local10.com/news/D-Wade-...ayvon/-/1717324/9687530/-/4b74o9/-/index.html

LE confiscated a holster that Zimmerman had along with the firearm. I would assume the weapon was in the holster until seconds before he used it; otherwise Martin probably would have run. imo

My guess is that he took it out of the glove compartment (heard on tape) and had it in his hand, not concealed.

I've lived in NC for almost 2 years now. I have never walked on the other side of the street and never felt I had to when a young man with a hood came walking towards me. Going into the stores if a young man is coming out they hold the door for you and when you say thank you they say yes, Mam, or you're welcome Mam. Everyone is very respectful of one another and it's why I like it here.

When you create a situation out of fear it's what you will get in return. It's human nature. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member