FL - 17-yo Teen Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I applaud the outcry as well , but just because GZ May have made this racial doesn't mean we need to continue in this manner does it. Ive been reading a lot of black white posts and it bothers me. Police did not arrest Gz but we don't know why. Was it because of race,or his parents positions in the court systems (prior service I know but I'm from Chicago where it's all about who you know) or because as I've read in MSM that the prosecutor refused for some reason not to file charges. I am outraged. A white woman in her 40s on chicagos south side. I am outraged that that this young man lost his life. That a mother lost her son.(I have a 12 yearold son) I worry for my boy. This is a shame a horrible tragedy but do we have to make it a worse racial divide that's my question

Actually, if you watch the rallies and you hear the outcry, this has brought different races closer together with just as many Non African Americans outraged over this injustice. If GZ made this racial, I don't think that should be ignored. It is what it is. All of the rallies have been peaceful, the only one booed was the mayor.

I don't think this has been only because he's black, the outcry has also been because he was just a kid, but we can't just take out the racial aspect because it's hard to hear. If GZ made this racial that's a major part of this murder.

Yes we don't know for sure regarding all of it, but there are many things that are pretty obvious, at least to me.

JMHO

That may be so, but they had no idea that a call of a suspcious black kid who was simply walking, one that the caller could NOT state with any accuracy was doing anything but walking and looking suspicious would result in a death...It's not as if GZ reported an armed robbery, or someone threatening or mugging another person.

And in this instance their reponse time was pretty darn good

:neighbors were calling reporting the gunshots around 7:15 and the police arrived at 7:17

and GZ's non emergency call was around 7:09 IIRC. and if I don't someone will correct me.

and in just those few minutes GZ went from being outraged, fed up, and with a gun on his person, determined to stop and find out what this suspcious kid was doing in his neighborhood, a kid that he told the person on the phone had something in his hands, his hands at his waistband and that he looked like he was high on drugs....so it made perfect sense to attempt to confront him....and a scant few minutes later wants to claim he was afraid for his life and HAD to shoot him.

Why was he not afraid for his life when he realized that he was stupid enough to attempt to follow and confront a person that he just finished explaining had something in his hands and was high on drugs or up to something...he should have been afraid for his life then because that is stupid enough to walk in front of a moving truck IMO JMHO and stuff.

Whoops sorry rant over

BBM.

Seems like over reacting, yes he escelated himself

How did he get a gun?
How did he get permission to even be a watchman –
you need to check people out.

LOL LOL Poor Gearaldo, I think he lost his mind. Sure lost his own argument. LOL

Fox News host Geraldo Rivera thinks he knows who or what is to blame for the slaying of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin: the hoodie did it.

Appearing on Fox News early Friday morning, Rivera conceded that George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch captain who shot Martin, should be investigated, but he urged black and Latino parents to not allow their children to wear hooded sweatshirts.

"I think the hoodie is as much responsible for Trayvon Martin's death as George Zimmerman was," the host ranted. "You have to recognize that this whole stylizing yourself as a gangsta -- you're going to be a gangsta wannabe, well people are going to perceive you as a menace. That's what happens. It is an instant, reflexive action."

Rivera compared the situation to NPR firing Fox News contributor Juan Williams for saying he was scared of Muslims at the airport because of the way they dressed.

"That's an automatic reflex," Rivera explained. "When you see a black or Latino youngster, particularly on the street, you walk to the other side of the street. You try to avoid that confrontation. Trayvon Martin, God bless him. He's an innocent kid, a wonderful kid, a box of Skittles in his hand, he didn't deserve to die, but I'll bet you money if he didn't have that hoodie on, that nutty neighborhood watch guy wouldn't have responded in that violent and aggressive way."

Fox & Friends co-host Steve Doocy noted that New Yorkers on Wednesday had held a "Million Hoodie March" in support of Martin.

"You cannot rehabilitate the hoodie," Rivera insisted. "I understand that the reaction might be overzealous or even irrational in some extent. You are not going to rehabilitate the hoodie. Stop wearing it!"

"There are some things that are almost inevitable. I'm not suggesting that Trayvon Martin had any kind of weapon or anything. He wore an outfit that allowed someone to respond in this irrational, overzealous way. And if he had been dressed more appropriately -- I think unless it is raining out or you are at a track meet, leave the hoodie home."

"Perception is reality," guest co-host Juliet Huddy agreed.

In fact, Zimmerman told the 911 dispatcher that it was raining as he was pursuing Martin.

"This guy looks like he's up to no good or he's on drugs or something," the neighborhood watch enthusiast said. "It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about. ... These *******s always get away."

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/david/geraldo-rivera-hoodie-allowed-george-zimmerm

GOSH! Armed with a can o tea, a bag o skittles, and a hoodie! Perhaps young AA males should wear dress suits and ties when walking to the 7/11 for some skittle and a can of iced tea.

sarcasm

wm

Just received an update from the Change.org petition...

Tracy and Sybrina have vowed to fight as long as it takes to get justice for their son -- so this Monday they are leading a march in Sanford, Florida to deliver more than one million petition signatures demanding justice for Trayvon. Will you join them?

Here are the details for the event:

WHEN: Monday, March 26 at 4pm
WHERE: Centennial Park, 400 S Park Avenue (between W 4th St and W 5th St), Sanford, FL 32771 -- we’ll march to the Civic Center from there.

The police chief convicted the victim in the media before any proper investigation took place.

Re the bolded: And it was the police who never arrested or detained GZ, it was the police who tried to change witnesses statements as to what they heard.

JMHO

Well to be fair, and I do think Sanford did a cr*ppy job here of investigating, if one person's account differs from another sometimes LE will ask them if they are sure what they saw, heard, etc. This is only to verify which witness is correct since their statement does not agree with another. Unless we know exactly what the officer said to this person and how he said it I would assume that is what the officer was trying to do. He was testing their statement against another. jmo

The 'police' don't make the laws, the government does. The police arrest and detain so the government can prosecute. :woohoo: It was the government who decided not to prosecute Zimmerman, not the police. I'm not saying the police are 'guiltless', just saying that if anyone wanted to place a 'blame' in this case, it was up to the prosecutors as to file charges....or not.

BBM
I know the police does not make laws, but they do arrest people.
I know they do not make laws but they tested a victim for DNA/Drugs,
but they do not test the shooter.
I know they do not make Laws - but Tyron has a very clean record and GZ not so much.

:what:
It was the police that did not arest him.

Well to be fair, and I do think Sanford did a cr*ppy job here of investigating, if one person's account differs from another sometimes LE will ask them if they are sure what they saw, heard, etc. This is only to verify which witness is correct since their statement does not agree with another. Unless we know exactly what the officer said to this person and how he said it I would assume that is what the officer was trying to do. He was testing their statement against another. jmo

I believe the witnesses said that they told police that they heard Tray yelling for help, as soon as they said that the officer told them that they were wrong, that it was GZ who was calling for help and tried to correct their statement right then and there, that very night.

There isn't any reason to believe that these witnesses just made that up.

They were pretty adamant that they were concerned about police 'correcting' their statement and then all of their calls were not being returned when they were trying to call to make sure that their statements hadn't been changed.

JMHO

Just received an update from the Change.org petition...

Tracy and Sybrina have vowed to fight as long as it takes to get justice for their son -- so this Monday they are leading a march in Sanford, Florida to deliver more than one million petition signatures demanding justice for Trayvon. Will you join them?

Here are the details for the event:

WHEN: Monday, March 26 at 4pm
WHERE: Centennial Park, 400 S Park Avenue (between W 4th St and W 5th St), Sanford, FL 32771 -- we’ll march to the Civic Center from there.

AL Sharpton signature is all over this. :sick:
I hate Al Sharptons signature, it only derails Martin Luther King’s message, no I do not think it is good.

I do want t see Justice for Tyron.
I do not want to see another derailed case of "race"
IF GZ has even one ex GF who is black it will blow this case out of the water.
WHY can’t they go by the detail, the evidence. ?

JMHO

Police are the ones responsible for an arrest. If LE has a question regarding charges they could go to the DA and ask whether or not arrest charges are warranted. The DA might say not enough evidence and LE won't arrest. But I don't think the DA can arrest someone themselves. They would need to get a warrant from a judge and LE would arrest someone on the basis of the warrant. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that is the way it goes. If LE presents the DA with info that is not 100% correct you can't expect the DA to get a warrant on misinformation. jmo

I believe the witnesses said that they told police that they heard Tray yelling for help, as soon as they said that the officer told them that they were wrong, that it was GZ who was calling for help and tried to correct their statement right then and there, that very night.

They were pretty adamant that they were concerned about police 'correcting' their statement and then all of their calls were not being returned when they were trying to call to make sure that their statements hadn't been changed.

JMHO

:what: WHY was GZ yelling for help? the kid had nothing but some snacks on him.
GZ had a gun - :waitasec: and was at least twice the size of this kid.

They will test this voice that sais Help! we will know for sure sooner or later.

JMHO

Yes, that is indeed wrong if what they are saying is true. I hope they continue to make sure their statement was entered into evidence. jmo

Unbelievable, but that Geraldo for ya.

Does Geraldo not know that almost every kid out there, as well as many adults, wear hoodies nowadays as a regular part of their wardrobe, many of them sports related?

He need to catch up with the times, lol

Poor Jerry has been swallowing too much saltwater on those boating trips with his BFF, Jose.

Incidentally, FCA wore a hoodie, and that didn't seem to bother Geraldo a bit.

LOL LOL Poor Gearaldo, I think he lost his mind. Sure lost his own argument. LOL

Fox News host Geraldo Rivera thinks he knows who or what is to blame for the slaying of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin: the hoodie did it.

Appearing on Fox News early Friday morning, Rivera conceded that George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch captain who shot Martin, should be investigated, but he urged black and Latino parents to not allow their children to wear hooded sweatshirts.

"I think the hoodie is as much responsible for Trayvon Martin's death as George Zimmerman was," the host ranted. "You have to recognize that this whole stylizing yourself as a gangsta -- you're going to be a gangsta wannabe, well people are going to perceive you as a menace. That's what happens. It is an instant, reflexive action."

Rivera compared the situation to NPR firing Fox News contributor Juan Williams for saying he was scared of Muslims at the airport because of the way they dressed.

"That's an automatic reflex," Rivera explained. "When you see a black or Latino youngster, particularly on the street, you walk to the other side of the street. You try to avoid that confrontation. Trayvon Martin, God bless him. He's an innocent kid, a wonderful kid, a box of Skittles in his hand, he didn't deserve to die, but I'll bet you money if he didn't have that hoodie on, that nutty neighborhood watch guy wouldn't have responded in that violent and aggressive way."

Fox & Friends co-host Steve Doocy noted that New Yorkers on Wednesday had held a "Million Hoodie March" in support of Martin.

"You cannot rehabilitate the hoodie," Rivera insisted. "I understand that the reaction might be overzealous or even irrational in some extent. You are not going to rehabilitate the hoodie. Stop wearing it!"

"There are some things that are almost inevitable. I'm not suggesting that Trayvon Martin had any kind of weapon or anything. He wore an outfit that allowed someone to respond in this irrational, overzealous way. And if he had been dressed more appropriately -- I think unless it is raining out or you are at a track meet, leave the hoodie home."

In fact, Zimmerman told the 911 dispatcher that it was raining as he was pursuing Martin.

"This guy looks like he's up to no good or he's on drugs or something," the neighborhood watch enthusiast said. "It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about. ... These *******s always get away."

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/david/geraldo-rivera-hoodie-allowed-george-zimmerm

OMG Geraldo :what: get over yourself. Or better yet find a hurricane. IMO JMO MOO

:what: WHY was GZ yelling for help? the kid had nothing but some snacks on him.
GZ had a gun - :waitasec: and was at least twice the size of this kid.

They will test this voice that sais Help! we will know for sure sooner or later.

There are some who suggest that after being followed in the vehicle, and then followed on foot, and attempting to evade the person following him, that once the person following him caught up to him, and we don't know how close the following person was, and after he belligerantly asked him "What are you doing around here" that Trayvon changed directions, approached this man, and attempted to attack him, somehow managed to knock him off his feet and was attacking, (bare handed mind you, with nothing that would be considered a deadly weapon) so viciously that GZ was in mortal fear, and had no option but to shoot him dead....

Doesn't sound reasonable or plausible to me, but that is the theory....

I apologize if this was posted earlier, I searched the thread but didn't see it.

"Why Blacks Don't Trust Police". This is front page on CNN.com?!!!

This is doing exactly what people are accusing GZ of doing-stereotyping.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/22/opinion/granderson-florida-shootings/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

LZ Granderson is a commenter for CNN. IMHO, he is always a breath of fresh air and makes perfect sense - and is reliable. I do see his point -

On a lighter note, anyone who listens to Dave Chapelle, a black stand up comedian - he's got some really funny but I'm sure true routines about being Black and being stopped by cops. Black men and white men do seem to be treated very differently.

I think if you go back and read, her parents did not want her questioned by the Media, she would ONLY speak with the Attorney and they did not want her questioned by Sanford PD...both conditions that I beleive I would want followed if she were my underage child in this whole hot mess that Sanford PD and GZ have created

I don't think that it is stated anywhere that she would not comply with a lawful subpeona or co operate with legal authorities who were NOT Sanford Pd.

Sensei, I know and agree with everything you stated here.

Unfortunately, there were some posters yesterday who claimed that the parents would ONLY allow their daughter to speak to and through the attorney.

The articles I read said they were turning over her statement to the Justice Department.

I wouldn't trust the Sanford Police, either.

Why is this man still on TV? No hoodies. Does that mean when it rains I can't go out with the dog with a hoodie to protect myself because security may shoot me? I have at least 10 in my house for when the grandkids visit. Two are mine, the rest are theirs.

IMO Tray was walking with his hood up and head down to protect the phone he was talking into while he spoke with his GF. GZ was following him so why wouldn't TM keep looking around? The incident was created by GZ. He started the pursuit and ended it with deadly results. I do imagine Mr. Z knows what he did wrong and that is why he is hiding. jmo

ETA: LOL. In my post above it would be ME in the hoodie, not the dog.

Poor Jerry has been swallowing too much saltwater on those boating trips with his BFF, Jose.

Incidentally, FCA wore a hoodie, and that didn't seem to bother Geraldo a bit.

It would be nice to know what Geraldo thinks is "proper" attire for a kid running out to the store while watching sports on tv.

Suit and tie? Khakis and an Izod golf shirt?

LOL @ CA wearing hoodies.

We are planning vacation for later this summer and have rented a very nice house in a gated community in Florida. We will have 8 of our children with us and as many of you know, our children are all African American. Honestly, I'm scared and seriously considering cancelling a wonderful family vacation because of what happened to Trayvon. It could just as easily be one of my kiddo's.

As a native born Floridian I understand your concern. Florida has struggled with civil rights and in the last decade we seem to be losing that fight.

If you decide not to come, PLEASE let the Governor know WHY you are cancelling your Florida vacation. He, and the Legislature need to understand how this very bad law is hurting the state economy.

Since the Florida Legislature ignores the opinion of a large portion of the population here, maybe economic pressure from the rest of the world will get them to change this horrible law.

Write to:
Executive Office of Governor Rick Scott
400 S Monroe St
Tallahassee, FL 32399

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics