FL FL - Ace Kimberly & his 3 kids missing off coast near Englewood, 21 June 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Seems to indicate that someone survived the initial capsizing (if that's what it was). There seems to be some organization with water bottles being tied together, the cell phones in bucket etc, and the used flare. This makes me sadder somehow

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

http://www.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007/2858498/
**MULTIMEDIA RELEASE** COAST GUARD CONTINUES SEARCHING FOR MISSING FAMILY EAST OF BOCA GRANDE
A Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater HC-130 Hercules aircrew searches east of Boca Grande, Florida, for a missing family on June 24, 2016. The father and his three teenage children were last heard from June 19 after they departed Sarasota en route to Fort Myers.

So tragic.:cry:

I'm sailboat-challenged, so please help. How did an adult and three teenagers live on that small boat?? My only sailboat experiences are when I was a kid at camp one year (much smaller than this boat) and watching Dead Calm dozens of times (Billy Zane! :loveyou: ).

Billy Zane.....just wow. i need to watch that movie again.

I got the feeling they jumped shipped and tried to float out the storm with a makeshift raft and thier important documents and flares. The one water jug looks like it has juice in it, maybe they were hopeful another boat in the area would see them.

These are NOAA/AOML charts of surface currents from Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, June 18-20. I want to emphasize that surface currents are only one factor and this is a snapshot of a full day but the Sunday map has an anomaly. It's along the family's route in the area where the dad said he was struggling in a storm with 6' seas and as we learned later 30 knot winds.

I annotated the Saturday map (rather than mess with the Sunday map) as best I could given it's small size. Sarasota = point of departure; Englewood = dad called brother; Fort Myers = destination; Sanibel Island = the debris field was located 37 miles west of Sanibel. The purple oval outlines the relevant area to check in each map.

Saturday

attachment.php

Sunday - note the tangle of currents just off the Englewood/Fort Myers area

attachment.php

Monday - no tangle

attachment.php

At the link you can view other charts and also an animation of a month's charts including this month to date.

Attachments

• 20160618_gc-anno.gif
    20160618_gc-anno.gif
    106.4 KB · Views: 361
  • 20160619_gc.gif
    20160619_gc.gif
    57.6 KB · Views: 362
  • 20160620_gc.gif
    20160620_gc.gif
    57.5 KB · Views: 361
Just FYI...when it was stated the children weren't being homeschooled, all that means is that they weren't registered with the county to homeschool. Registering with the county is only one way to legally homeschool in Florida. They could have been enrolled in an online school or correspondence school, neither of which are required to report to the state.

What has me a little baffled is the dad's preparedness for the trip. The pic taken of the boat on Saturday, the day prior to departure shows a front (jib) sail furled up tight that is unfurled (unrolled) when in use. The larger rear sail (mainsail) is usually rolled up and stored and usually covered horizontally on the boom. (see pic below and note the blue boats rear sail covered and stored on the boom), The mainsail could be stored below deck for this pic and they attached it to boom post-pic. My point being, once seas get rough you need to keep front of boat (the bow) pointed into the large rolling waves. You would need to be using a very small amount of sail or the motor to maintain control of direction of boat. If they departed at 7 a.m. and called brother 3:00ish they had been on the water approx 8 hrs. I doubt they planned to motor that far/long. Maybe they planned to sail vast majority of the way with the jib sail. It's always problematic to have an outboard motor in rough seas as each time the boat rises as the big waves roll, that the motor propeller comes out of the water with loud whirling noise that can quickly overheat the motor. No doubt there were some scary moments and decisions to be made on that boat Sunday afternoon. The kayaks aren't sinkable. I know I am Monday morning quarterbacking but in hindsight maybe everyone should have put on a life jacket and attached themselves to a bright colored kayak maybe.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 335
What has me a little baffled is the dad's preparedness for the trip. The pic taken of the boat on Saturday, the day prior to departure shows a front (jib) sail furled up tight that is unfurled (unrolled) when in use. The larger rear sail (mainsail) is usually rolled up and stored and usually covered horizontally on the boom. (see pic below and note the blue boats rear sail covered and stored on the boom), The mainsail could be stored below deck for this pic and they attached it to boom post-pic. My point being, once seas get rough you need to keep front of boat (the bow) pointed into the large rolling waves. You would need to be using a very small amount of sail or the motor to maintain control of direction of boat. If they departed at 7 a.m. and called brother 3:00ish they had been on the water approx 8 hrs. I doubt they planned to motor that far/long. Maybe they planned to sail vast majority of the way with the jib sail. It's always problematic to have an outboard motor in rough seas as each time the boat rises as the big waves roll, that the motor propeller comes out of the water with loud whirling noise that can quickly overheat the motor. No doubt there were some scary moments and decisions to be made on that boat Sunday afternoon. The kayaks aren't sinkable. I know I am Monday morning quarterbacking but in hindsight maybe everyone should have put on a life jacket and attached themselves to a bright colored kayak maybe.
attachment.php

I think you are right that he lost the outboard and that is when things got more dire,not able to stear.

I don't believe they jumped ship at all. There was apparently only 1 person with a life jacket on and there where 7 life jackets with 6 accounted for in the "debris field". The kayaks where also accounted for. There would have been no reason for them to make a make shift raft with kayaks and jackets available. Also they have not found the boat, from what I've read, only the mast. Something hit that ship whether it was a large wave or even a waterspout while they where apparently attempting to get life jackets on and only 1 person was able to. Unfortunately that person did not make it.

attachment.php

Everyone should definitely have had a PFD on. I don't routinely wear one in good weather (although I'm very strict about children wearing them), and I can't be judgmental about other boats who don't routinely wear them. But once the weather started getting rough, they all should have put on PFDs.

I wonder if the mainsail was off because it was one of the repair items? A torn or blown out mainsail would need replacing or repairing. Most people don't routinely remove their mainsail; as you noted, they flake them down onto the boom and cover them.

Heading south, with an east wind, they would have had the wind & waves on their beam. Very dangerous.

As with most incidents like this, it sounds like there was a combination of multiple bad decisions and bad luck.

I am so sorry for these kids. This boat was unseaworthy, in need of repairs, had no radio and the Captain (dad) took it out without checking the weather station; a perfect recipe for a disaster. Then the uncle waited 2 days to report that they phoned him to report that they were in trouble? 6 unused life jackets? I imagine they were old, dry rotted and useless. What is wrong with people? Seriously, what is wrong with them?

Everyone should definitely have had a PFD on. I don't routinely wear one in good weather (although I'm very strict about children wearing them), and I can't be judgmental about other boats who don't routinely wear them. But once the weather started getting rough, they all should have put on PFDs.

I wonder if the mainsail was off because it was one of the repair items? A torn or blown out mainsail would need replacing or repairing. Most people don't routinely remove their mainsail; as you noted, they flake them down onto the boom and cover them.

Heading south, with an east wind, they would have had the wind & waves on their beam. Very dangerous.

As with most incidents like this, it sounds like there was a combination of multiple bad decisions and bad luck.
Wow, this hits close to home. I owned a boat exactly like that one. Why they did not have life jackets on is a mystery to me. Why they did not have a radio for the boat is also discerning. I haven't followed this case extensively but watched news accounts and I'm wondering how much experience the father had with sailing. Very tragic.

We know at least one body was found wearing a life vest. Contrary to popular belief, a life vest doesn't guarantee survival in rough seas.

jmo

This is so sad! But HOW were there 4 people living on the boat? Is there a larger lower area under the water? I don't see how 4 near adults could live on the boat.

This is so sad! But HOW were there 4 people living on the boat? Is there a larger lower area under the water? I don't see how 4 near adults could live on the boat.

ITA - I would lose my mind in those cramped quarters.

I don't believe they jumped ship at all. There was apparently only 1 person with a life jacket on and there where 7 life jackets with 6 accounted for in the "debris field". The kayaks where also accounted for. There would have been no reason for them to make a make shift raft with kayaks and jackets available. Also they have not found the boat, from what I've read, only the mast. Something hit that ship whether it was a large wave or even a waterspout while they where apparently attempting to get life jackets on and only 1 person was able to. Unfortunately that person did not make it.

I bet the boat was hit as they were preparing to evacuate and that is why only one with a life vest (that we know of).They were in the middle of getting survival items together but it was too late.

If anyone is interested there is a movie about being stranded on a sailboat alone, it stars Robert Redford called "All is Lost".It is a little slow and not much dialogue because well he is alone.

We know at least one body was found wearing a life vest. Contrary to popular belief, a life vest doesn't guarantee survival in rough seas.

jmo

I'm not sure that anyone believes that wearing a PFD guarantees survival. But it most definitely improves your odds.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back