FL FL - Adji Desir, 6, Immokalee, 10 Jan 2009 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the human traffic angle been checked out? Is that why LE thinks he might be in Miami? Maybe LE is staying quiet in order to keep from scaring off the kidnapper? I'm not sure that makes sense, but I don't think anything about Adji's disappearance makes sense.

Salem

I thought I read in one of the articles that his area was a community of LEGAL immigrants (not that it would preclude illegals from being there too). I agree with other posters, if the family was crazy or there was some weird angle they would be getting the press.

Has the human traffic angle been checked out? Is that why LE thinks he might be in Miami? Maybe LE is staying quiet in order to keep from scaring off the kidnapper? I'm not sure that makes sense, but I don't think anything about Adji's disappearance makes sense.

Salem

Makes as much sense as anything. To me, my unfamiliarity with the community makes everything seem mysterious. He speaks Creole? I didn't know anyone actually only spoke Creole. That's just an example of my own ignorance that makes it hard for me to pick the case apart.

I think we all see how vulnerable this particular child is, can't speak much and can't speak the langauge, developmentally disabled. He needed to be watched so closely. He is the perfect victim/target for a predator.

Praying that Adji's story will be paid some attention by Oprah or someone who has some clout. It's going to take something of the sort to make people (except for a few who already do) to pay attention to this precious little boy.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we found out Adji was alive in Miami. I saw the interview with his parents. They had an interpreter. The parents were asked to describe the things Adji likes so whoever has him would know. Prayers for you, little Adji.

Salem

That could be. Or, it could be the large number of Haitians that live in Miami. Miami has a neighborhood that is called Little Haiti (BTW, there's also Little Havana).

Makes as much sense as anything. To me, my unfamiliarity with the community makes everything seem mysterious. He speaks Creole? I didn't know anyone actually only spoke Creole. That's just an example of my own ignorance that makes it hard for me to pick the case apart.

I think we all see how vulnerable this particular child is, can't speak much and can't speak the langauge, developmentally disabled. He needed to be watched so closely. He is the perfect victim/target for a predator.

When I was in Miami, I oversaw a program that serving Haitians, among others. I don't speak Creole at all and my one of my staff was Haitian (he spoke Creole, French, Spanish and English!).

What I learned is that Creole is only a spoken language, not written. Meaning, if someone only speaks Creole, they also don't know how to read:(

I didn't know people spoke Creole, either, until I moved down here. There is a significant population of Creole speakers here. Whoever said Adji's community is almost all legal immigrants is correct. Actually, iit is HUD housing so they can't live there unless they are legal immigrants or US citizens. Adji is significantly developmental disabled so if someone did take him, he wouldn't be able to figure out how to ask for help. I have no idea what happened, but I pray there is a good outcome to this.

I'm not Patty but I live about a half hour away and have heard absolutely nothing about this poor child in the past few weeks. He needs our help just as much as Caylee and Haleigh do.

I see some have contacted national news sites, but maybe we also need to contact the local ones? What are the local news places? Are you in the same media market as Tampa?

Also, I wonder if it would make send to contact some organizations that serve farmworkers and others that work with the Haitian population to help his family get the news out about this. Offhand, I can think of at least 3 Haitian orgs. in Miami, but there's probably many more. Also, there is a Haitian radio station in Miami and some Haitian publications.

Let me think on it and see if I can find an old friend who is a doctor from Haiti.

When I was in Miami, I oversaw a program that serving Haitians, among others. I don't speak Creole at all and my one of my staff was Haitian (he spoke Creole, French, Spanish and English!).

What I learned is that Creole is only a spoken language, not written. Meaning, if someone only speaks Creole, they also don't know how to read:(

I didn't know people spoke Creole, either, until I moved down here. There is a significant population of Creole speakers here. Whoever said Adji's community is almost all legal immigrants is correct. Actually, iit is HUD housing so they can't live there unless they are legal immigrants or US citizens. Adji is significantly developmental disabled so if someone did take him, he wouldn't be able to figure out how to ask for help. I have no idea what happened, but I pray there is a good outcome to this.

That is all very interesting! I had no idea. I wonder if his parents can read & write. If not it's one more strike against their reaching out for help. I am so glad they have us all on their side :) You just never know who God will send to help you, do you?

PS: Look what I did! I multi-quoted! I have always wanted to learn that.

Ok guys, found a pic. of my old friend I mentioned above from Oct. 2008 and this is the translated photo caption next to her name:

General consul of Haiti

Now, how can I find her e-mail address to contact her? She should be a huge help, more than I originally thought!

Ok guys, found a pic. of my old friend I mentioned above from Oct. 2008 and this is the translated photo caption next to her name:

General consul of Haiti

Now, how can I find her e-mail address to contact her? She should be a huge help, more than I originally thought!

I especially need some French-speaking WSers!!

I don't want to list her name here, but please PM me if you can help!!

I found the Haitian Embassy in the US. http://www.haiti.org/
Imokolee, the city Adji is from has an organization that helps farmworkers, mostly Hispanic and Haitian. I can't remember the name but its very active and they actually just opened a new headquarters. I imagine they are helping. I am going to see if anyone can remember the name.

I found the Haitian Embassy in the US. http://www.haiti.org/
Imokolee, the city Adji is from has an organization that helps farmworkers, mostly Hispanic and Haitian. I can't remember the name but its very active and they actually just opened a new headquarters. I imagine they are helping. I am going to see if anyone can remember the name.

Yep, found the Haitian Embassy, but their site is mostly in French! Guess I can try to call to find my friend tomorrow, but in addition to going through all the beauracracy (sp.) and language barriers, I can't imagine how it would be to try to call her in Haiti! Plus, I haven't spoken with her in 5 years.

Would love if we could find her e-mail addy:)

ok I understand what you are saying now. Let me try to figure out something tonight. We should be able to read it somehow, maybe using a language translation website.

ok I understand what you are saying now. Let me try to figure out something tonight. We should be able to read it somehow, maybe using a language translation website.

Finally remembered her old AOL addy. Found it on google, but the last reference was in 2002. Prob. won't work, but I'm gonna try it any way. I hope we can find her current one.

Bump ... for poor little Adji , please God let him be found soon.

I'm still praying for a miracle for little Adji. His sweet face, and the knowledge that he is disabled hurts me so much that I almost can't stand to think about it.

Sent an e-mail to my friend's AOL e-mail and it didn't come back returned (yet). Maybe she still has it? I'll keep everyone updated.

Sent an e-mail to my friend's AOL e-mail and it didn't come back returned (yet). Maybe she still has it? I'll keep everyone updated.

I speak French. My French writing isn't so hot, but nothing that I cannot get past with a google translator.

Enough so that I could get her on the phone, possibly... Def could e-mail the embassy.

This is going to sound ignorant, but a lot of those people speak English, so we should do an email with both... A lot of times my French is good enough and their English is good enough that we can figure it out.

I'm sick though, so I'm going to sleep, but PM me in what you'd like me to do and I can work on it in the AM.

I can read Français. What did you want translated on the embassy website? Is it just to search for a contact for your friend?
Here is a page with contacts for diplomatic and consular missions, in case you did not see this: http://www.haiti.org/Government/diplomatic_missions_prt.dwt
I don't know which city your friend was in but if she is not listed, you might contact the consulate where she last was located and ask. The ones who work in the U.S. should speak English. and I imagine if calling government departments in Haiti it would not be extremely hard to find people who speak English.

I sure wish he would turn out to be with his dad or paternal relatives. I guess they investigated that but.... Could they have friends willing to keep quiet? Is that why you want to speak to someone from Haiti?
I too am haunted by thinking of the sweet face of little Adji and knowing his disability and language barrier prevents him from asking for help. I pray that he is OK and will be found, but if he is no longer with us I still pray his body will be found so his family will not be left forever to wonder.

It was said he was playing with other kids until they went home. Did they have someone question the kids who was both an expert at interviewing children for such an investigation, AND fluent in Creole (or whichever is the childrens native tongue)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper