FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think an adult drove them to a boat launch--at least that has not been reported in MSM.
I will say that many homes here are on rivers, the intracoastal, or lagoons that frequently lead out to Jupiter Inlet which mouths out to the Atlantic Ocean with the Gulf Stream less than a mile out. Very tricky, treacherous Inlet.

So they could've kept the boat in their backyard (docked in the water most of the year) which invariably may lead to the Inlet. I don't know their exact address so it's hard to say.

I think I recall a river being mentioned early on. I'll go back and do some re-reading. thanks!

I think I recall a river being mentioned early on. I'll go back and do some re-reading. thanks!

My guess if they lived on a river it would be the Loxahatchee....very nice area, very family-oriented & a lot to do revolving the river & ocean such as boating, kayaking, diving, parasailing, jet skiing, etc.

I pray for the families of these boys---what a nightmare to endure!

I live in a coastal community. It's not uncommon for boys raised up in small fishing towns to A) own boats on their own. B) launch and boat alone and C) to have the funds (via selling bait, or other odd jobs) to afford the gas.
I'd feel safer with a 14 year old "local" than my own DH, just because they are raised to know how to handle most situations.

Prayers for these young fishermen and their families. Hoping they just had a power failure and will be back on track soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. My mom lived in Western Australia during her teen years and I have friends who live in New Zealand and kids in both places are quite comfortable on water and go off unattended all the time.

If they've grown up on the water it shouldn't be an issue. The only thig is that 14 year old brains don't always appreciate danger the way older brains do and may take risks others would not. Like not coming in right away when bad weather approaches.

Btw boaters, wouldn't these kids have checked the forecast before going out? Or their parents?

Local news is saying the boat was found 67 miles off Ponce de Leon inlet. Just to give everyone some hope, I can offer this story from last May, where the Coast Guard station found a man floating on a bean bag 22 miles offshore - the CG searchers are very good and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the boys did have some flotation devices onboard:

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/wa...-searched-after-man-reported-missing/33074638

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/coast-guard-boat-found-ponce-inlet-may-be-missing-/nm62R/

Thank you so much for that hope. The news about the capsized boat is horrible. I do think cases like this can and should be used to solidify basic safety procedures like having life jackets close by, knowing how to react if bad weather comes up, having some sort of communication device, flares, gps, homing beacons, something that can be attached.

I have no no problem with young people doing activities like this. Many do with no problems. But issues can occur at any age and everyone should be able to have basic safety systems in place that make odds of surviving trouble better, but aren't so onerous that it ruins a good time.

Btw, someone mentioned an unnavigable inlet they may have used. If they grew boating in the area, wouldn't they know to avoid that spot? Also, was the boat found near there?

There is still a chance to find them alive. Praying, praying, praying.

Wendy---yes, the Jupiter Inlet is closer for these two teens than the other inlet that poster cuffem was mentioning. The inlet near Peanut Island (Port of Palm Beach) is much safer but would've tacked on significant time & fuel to their trip.

Palm Beah Inlet(Port of Palm Beach) is were I would go out but only go 1-2 miles out.Never been to Ponce Inlet sounds rough for small boats.

Is there any way to check satellite images and narrow down the location of where the boat capsized and when the boys were no longer visible in it?

The Coast Guard have maps/charts on currents like the Gulf Stream to give them an idea were to search.

Palm Beah Inlet(Port of Palm Beach) is were I would go out but only go 1-2 miles out.Never been to Ponce Inlet sounds rough for small boats.

Somewhat O/T but interesting for history buffs---Peanut Island houses the old Kennedy bomb shelter bunkers.
This is near the next inlet south (& easier to navigate) of where the two teens went out of Jupiter Inlet.
Jupiter Inlet still has a lighthouse.
It's been my experience that any inlet with a lighthouse = rough passage.

Moo

The Coast Guard have maps/charts on currents like the Gulf Stream to give them an idea were to search.

We just don't know when they ended up in the water. I wonder if they are assuming it was Friday due to the big storm?

I heard a report(CNN?) that officials did not want boaters out looking,but with a $100,000. reward I don't see how they can stop them.I think the family wants everyone out looking and the CG does not want other boaters at risk of an accident.

Somewhat O/T but interesting for history buffs---Peanut Island houses the old Kennedy bomb shelter bunkers.
This is near the next inlet south (& easier to navigate) of where the two teens went out of Jupiter Inlet.
Jupiter Inlet still has a lighthouse.
It's been my experience that any inlet with a lighthouse = rough passage.

Moo

Peanut Island used to be a great place to anchor after fishing until they removed all the trees.

I heard a report(CNN?) that officials did not want boaters out looking,but with a $100,000. reward I don't see how they can stop them.I think the family wants everyone out looking and the CG does not want other boaters at risk of an accident.

Yes, I heard that on CNN also. And I thought the exact same thing you did

Their boat was found capsized with no sign of the boys....:sigh:

We just don't know when they ended up in the water. I wonder if they are assuming it was Friday due to the big storm?

I looked at the radar sat. eve.when I heard about this and there was activity on the radar off the coast in the area.

The boys are 'lost at sea' 67 miles off the coast of FLA

Sounds so hopeless....but I guess its not if they have flotation devices

This is the newest flyer from the Find Austin & Perry FB page.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437954058.510735.jpg

So the life jackets are missing that is good,They may have put them on when the storm approached.The flyer says to look for debris,well I would want fisherman out there because they can spot a white styrofoam cup in choppy waters.Their eyes are trained to spotting things because fish like to congregate under/around debris.

Yeah. My mom lived in Western Australia during her teen years and I have friends who live in New Zealand and kids in both places are quite comfortable on water and go off unattended all the time.

If they've grown up on the water it shouldn't be an issue. The only thig is that 14 year old brains don't always appreciate danger the way older brains do and may take risks others would not. Like not coming in right away when bad weather approaches.

Btw boaters, wouldn't these kids have checked the forecast before going out? Or their parents?

Thank you so much for that hope. The news about the capsized boat is horrible. I do think cases like this can and should be used to solidify basic safety procedures like having life jackets close by, knowing how to react if bad weather comes up, having some sort of communication device, flares, gps, homing beacons, something that can be attached.

I have no no problem with young people doing activities like this. Many do with no problems. But issues can occur at any age and everyone should be able to have basic safety systems in place that make odds of surviving trouble better, but aren't so onerous that it ruins a good time.

Btw, someone mentioned an unnavigable inlet they may have used. If they grew boating in the area, wouldn't they know to avoid that spot? Also, was the boat found near there?

There is still a chance to find them alive. Praying, praying, praying.

My DH grew up in Florida and he is not holding out a lot of hope for them being found in any condition. I hate it.

I would look off the coast of Georgia and S.Carolina.After this long they could have drifted this far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yoshibee