GUILTY FL - Boy in a Box abuse trial - Parents, Timothy & Tracy Ferriter Arrested, Jupiter, Feb 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Recess until 8:30 am ET. Tomorrow will begin deliberations.
Keeping my fingers crossed!
I believe that the son was a handful. But I also believe that the parents (and the father in particular) were intolerent of mental health challenges.

This boy was likely a problem but the solution wasn't to lock him in a tiny, windowless room. They were obligated to reach out for support services. They should have yelled to the skies that they weren't getting adequate support. What good parent wouldn't do that?

Thanks for this. I wasn't aware of her allegations against the state and state investigators. I'm guessing that's because there was no proof? Moo, I don't believe this would be grounds for a court to grant her motion to withdraw though (jmo). It also doesn't seem like a problem between them. This is why I was thinking about the plea offer. It's all speculation on my part though. We don't know, and probably never will.

jmo

I believe that the son was a handful. But I also believe that the parents (and the father in particular) were intolerent of mental health challenges.

This boy was likely a problem but the solution wasn't to lock him in a tiny, windowless room. They were obligated to reach out for support services. They should have yelled to the skies that they weren't getting adequate support. What good parent wouldn't do that?

Likely more of a problem as a result of the isolation and abuse. But's that's jmo.

I noticed in RF's testimony that he uses some complex vocabulary, but doesn't have meanings or usage quite correct. Just a little off, not exactly malapropisms.

I'm wondering if his language reflects dearth of human contact? He certainly seems very bright. I'm speculating that his language errors are caused because he mostly has had to talk to himself, and not to other people. He may also have pulled some vocabulary from books, but not been allowed to consult a dictionary, or hear it spoken live.

RF seems very articulate to me, but his way of speaking is quite curious.

There doesn't seem to be much evidence that he was a handful: it's all self-reporting from the parents. And it's quite obvious that the parents created mental health issues in the child. IMO

I noticed in RF's testimony that he uses some complex vocabulary, but doesn't have meanings or usage quite correct. Just a little off, not exactly malapropisms.

I'm wondering if his language reflects dearth of human contact? He certainly seems very bright. I'm speculating that his language errors are caused because he mostly has had to talk to himself, and not to other people. He may also have pulled some vocabulary from books, but not been allowed to consult a dictionary, or hear it spoken live.

RF seems very articulate to me, but his way of speaking is quite curious.
I agree. RF does have an extensive vocabulary but his word usage is off. Since his testimony was off-camera, I paid attention and noticed that there were no inflection. My niece is on the spectrum, highly intelligent, and sounds much like RF.

I agree. RF does have an extensive vocabulary but his word usage is off. Since his testimony was off-camera, I paid attention and noticed that there were no inflection. My niece is on the spectrum, highly intelligent, and sounds much like RF.
Yes, I was thinking he was on the spectrum, too. But I'm not a psychologist, and we'd need one of those to be sure. It's very strange that that diagnosis didn't come up.

But the usage is interesting....I think it's from lack of interaction with humans. And he probably got very little time on the computer. He might only have had textbooks?

But the usage also makes me think he's been very understimulated. He can clearly master words; he'd need to be around others who fling big words around, so he can develop fluency.

Too bad he didn't have the option to learn Latin (or ancient Greek). He might be really good at it.

As others already stated, I believe the parents escalated his behavior due to their (parents) own behavior. They took all their frustrations out on this child.

Additionally, he in my opinion was their punching bag, and got off on it. :(

Moo

Yes, I was thinking he was on the spectrum, too. But I'm not a psychologist, and we'd need one of those to be sure. It's very strange that that diagnosis didn't come up.

But the usage is interesting....I think it's from lack of interaction with humans. And he probably got very little time on the computer. He might only have had textbooks?

But the usage also makes me think he's been very understimulated. He can clearly master words; he'd need to be around others who fling big words around, so he can develop fluency.

Too bad he didn't have the option to learn Latin (or ancient Greek). He might be really good at it.
I have some professional familiarity with Asian survivors of genocide and with autistic adults (not so much children).

The way RF used the term “genocide” actually spoke a lot to me. We would have to hear an elaboration from him, but my take on that was he was trying to say that his “self” was being eradicated in that room.

He didn’t seem to be able to explore or express himself, it did not seem like the family tried reconnecting him with positive aspects of Vietnamese culture, and he seemed to be intellectually belittled and starved. The parents were getting rid of him. Like genocide.

It is also natural for many Asian cultures, especially with males, to express less emotion and to have reserved mannerisms. Adoption and growing up in a Western country would alter some of this, but not all. The wise cracking and misadventure may even be a sign of RF trying to fit in and be more American.

I’m just speculating. RF is still very young and even if he had been given more time to express his thoughts and feelings he may not have been mature enough to.

It is possible that he is on the spectrum, but very hard to tell with the cultural and emotional differences. I lean toward no, but at his age it would be most appropriate for RF himself to start deciding in collaboration with a therapist if an autism diagnosis fits him.

All my opinions.

Jury has deliberated for an hour so far. #TimFerriter is here w/ his attorneys, his wife & a friend who testified at trial. They are all chatting comfortably as we wait for the jury question. Tim faces 3 counts (False Imprisonment, Aggravated Child Abuse, & Child Neglect).

JURY HAS A QUESTION. I’m headed inside courthouse to see what it is Watch

He's right back to not looking too worried.
moo

I thought someone made a very interesting comment on the stream: If he had locked up and abused his disabled brother there wouldn't even be a question. I thought that was a good point. The whole "I'm the the parent" throws a monkey wrench into things which is why the audio/video evidence here is even more critical. It shows how abusive TF was and it shows just how truthful the child was when he first reported these things to LE that Monday at school.

jmo

Last edited:
You have got to be kidding. Hard to believe this was an accident.

ETA: Wow, this gets worse. Prosecutor BC explains RF was never arrested he was detained in connection with running away but the defense still labeled the file as an arrest anyway and put it into the jury room. They not only put facts not in evidence into the jury which imo is problematic in itself, but they intentionally labeled it a non-arrest as an arrest. Hard to believe this wasn't an intent by the D to mislead the jury.

jmo

Last edited:
We’re standing by for jury question…did they change their mind? Everyone is here except Judge. We believe the parties know the question, a piece of paper was handed to each side to review. It hasn’t been read aloud yet. Court could be working on logistics for evidence review

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back