GUILTY FL - Boy in a Box abuse trial - Parents, Timothy & Tracy Ferriter Arrested, Jupiter, Feb 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BOMBSHELL sounds like a juror may have seen video that was not permitted into evidence, particularly the video of the juvenile handcuffed by police after running away that the judge said could not come in was included in the exhibits given to jury.

Defense admits they accidentally included the unedited version along with the trimmed version. Also, Question #1 from the jury is a request to see the recording of the sister’s testimony. She testifies in another courtroom and the video version should be easier for them to hear

Judge called the jury back to the courtroom and advised the jury to disregard the video (included on thumb drive) and the very file name of that particular was erroneous to an arrest - the child victim was never arrested, what you saw was a normal process in the matter of detention for a runaway. Council will re-review the videos to make sure nothing further is on the videos that was not submitted as evidence.

Edited: removed moo, think I got that correct

Last edited:
I have some professional familiarity with Asian survivors of genocide and with autistic adults (not so much children).

The way RF used the term “genocide” actually spoke a lot to me. We would have to hear an elaboration from him, but my take on that was he was trying to say that his “self” was being eradicated in that room.

He didn’t seem to be able to explore or express himself, it did not seem like the family tried reconnecting him with positive aspects of Vietnamese culture, and he seemed to be intellectually belittled and starved. The parents were getting rid of him. Like genocide.

It is also natural for many Asian cultures, especially with males, to express less emotion and to have reserved mannerisms. Adoption and growing up in a Western country would alter some of this, but not all. The wise cracking and misadventure may even be a sign of RF trying to fit in and be more American.

I’m just speculating. RF is still very young and even if he had been given more time to express his thoughts and feelings he may not have been mature enough to.

It is possible that he is on the spectrum, but very hard to tell with the cultural and emotional differences. I lean toward no, but at his age it would be most appropriate for RF himself to start deciding in collaboration with a therapist if an autism diagnosis fits him.

All my opinions.
Yes, the use of “genocide” was striking. I, too, think RF was using it to express “total wipe out”, an eradication of self. Indeed, that’s what it looked like the parents were overtly trying to accomplish.

His only frame of reference may be a discussion of holocast at school, and he needed to borrow that word because he has no other way to describe internal experiences. He has no way to describe internal experiences because his parents went out of their way to deprive him of that. When you have a camera trained on you like that, with captors watching your every moment and mocking every sign of a feeling, there’s no refuge left for self. IMO

I did click in to the genocidal moments in Vietnamese history, and you’re right. Maybe that would be healthy for him to explore. It’s where he was abandoned, too, though.

BREAKING: Boy in the Box jury accidentally sees evidence not admitted in trial - Judge says “to say I’m displeased is a massive understatement”

BREAKING: Tim Ferriter defense admits it left video of boy being detained by police after running away - on thumb drive given to jury - they were NOT supposed to see that

What do you want to bet the defense was playing dirty here and “accidentally on purpose” gave the jury the disallowed video? Magic how it just happened to turn out to be that particular video.

Defense admits they accidentally included the unedited version along with the trimmed version. Also, Question #1 from the jury is a request to see the recording of the sister’s testimony. She testifies in another courtroom and the video version should be easier for them to hear

I’m glad they’re focusing on this testimony. imo this young woman is quite magical, very perceptive, very bright, very articulate. It has been a great loss that she and her brother have been deprived of each other’s company

We’re standing by for jury question…did they change their mind? Everyone is here except Judge. We believe the parties know the question, a piece of paper was handed to each side to review. It hasn’t been read aloud yet. Court could be working on logistics for evidence review

I got pulled away so I think I'm behind on the stream (they are about to start replay of sister's testimony). (I don't want to look at the next page comments/updates until I catch up, lol)

I’m inclined to believe this was an inadvertent mistake by defense. They just don’t seem that capable or prepared to me. They seem like this is their first felony trial. I guess they could’ve hoped the jurors didn’t say anything about it before they reached a verdict. I’m not sure how it helps them. It doesn’t change the facts of the case at all! Even if he was arrested - it doesn’t justify the confinement and abuse!

I’m inclined to believe this was an inadvertent mistake by defense. They just don’t seem that capable or prepared to me. They seem like this is their first felony trial. I guess they could’ve hoped the jurors didn’t say anything about it before they reached a verdict. I’m not sure how it helps them. It doesn’t change the facts of the case at all! Even if he was arrested - it doesn’t justify the confinement and abuse!

Moo, it's not inadvertent though to label footage they obtained in discovery of him being detained as a runaway as him being arrested and therefore having a prior arrest record that he did not have. That one act was designed imo to plant a seed in the minds of the jurors that they "still" hadn't been told "the whole story" of "just how bad" this kid might have really been. That and maybe hope the state would ask for a mistrial bc of it, maybe? Don't know.

jmo

Last edited:
IMO it changes the case substantially. If someone sees the video and presumes it to be an arrest, they perhaps could see some support for the notion that the parents were at the ends of their rope and creating the box was justified discipline.

Moo, it's not inadvertent though to label footage they obtained in discovery of him being detained as a runaway as him being arrested and therefore having a prior arrest record that he did not have. That one act was designed imo to plant a seed in the minds of the jurors that they "still" hadn't been told "the whole story."

jmo
This is how I feel. The combination of it being given to the jury AND the labeling have me really scratching my head. Either they tried to slide it in on purpose, or the are really inept attorneys.

I'm speculating that his language errors are caused because he mostly has had to talk to himself, and not to other people. He may also have pulled some vocabulary from books, but not been allowed to consult a dictionary, or hear it spoken live.
[sbbm]

Such a good observation/speculation imo.

I agree. There's way more damaging stuff for him from the pretrial hearings that the judge would not allow in.

I can't believe they haven't already found him guilty.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back