GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that's quite bizarre. I can't imagine they didn't send him away even at his age. I would think he would be more of a risk over 70 with Senility and possible Alzheimer's into the MI mix. I can't imagine that there wasn't any parole conditions against a situation like that. The daughter was not in her right mind to allow endangering her and her children like that. Stupid in my opinion.

Well, I suppose there was probably some sort of parole or something. I tried to go back and look it up not long ago -- it wasn't in the archives of the Lakeland Ledger (at least what's online, or maybe they kept it out of the papers??) but I did find a notation in my high school alumni newsletter that he'd died not long afterward. Perhaps his health was bad.

I remember never liking him, and especially not liking the way he treated his wife (our two families got together frequently, but that was a couple decades before the murder). He was quite respected in the community, however.

I wanted to say to all who shared your personal journeys with mental illness how valuable your input is. You're really quite brave, and you have my admiration. :tyou: It's given us much appreciated insight into what it's like on the "inside," which can help us perhaps understand the struggles that JS, her husband and her children all had to deal with. I hope every single one of you stick around!

And for anyone I've offended, please forgive my insensitivity.

PDF files for:

Abuse Report
Crash Report
Abuse Investigative Summary

I've been trying to figure this out. Hopefully they will link.

Thanks, Ravynne!

You Rock My World! ( Wait, I wasn't supposed to say that, I was thinking, I mean, oh no..!)

REGARDLESS, LOOKING FORWARD TO CHECKING THESE DOCS OUT...

Nancy Grace show on now in the West Coast covering this case if anyone is interested.

They just had the gun shop owner on the show who sold JS the gun. He said she wasn't shaking, was bubbly, personable and seemed completely normal. Not suspect at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel that Parker is in the worst position of all...an adult who's life was formed by the Army and as an adult child of an alcoholic. When I watched Parker on the stand all I could see was a very guarded man. In the Army, and probably all branches of services, I only know about the Army...when you have a family member who is impaired by drug or alcohol addiction, you learn very quickly how to cover up. "Acting normal" becomes the new norm and the pressure is intense. Living on an Army base with a sick family member...especially an officer's family, it is like living under a microscope 24/7. I still have painful, painful memories of those years...stitched in along with the wonderful memories of traveling through Europe, bouncing back and forth, never settling in for very long. I do think he will be blamed by the defense and that, to me, is unfair. I think he lived through hell for a long time, probably much longer than he should have. I also think he probably realizes at night that he should have left her a long time ago and taken the kids with him. I don't think however, that he should shoulder the blame for his children dying on Jan. 27, 2011. That solely belongs to Julie, in my opinion. I am only sure of one thing...this trial has brought back all the painful memories of growing up with an alcoholic with a mental disorder, and the chaos that one person can create. What I saw on the stand was the designated rock of the family...what may have seemed uncaring to some, seemed like a blessing to me. That's why he was so close to those kids. He was the stabilizer in the family. He must feel so lost inside now.

This case has made me cry. It is too sad that Calyx and Beau could not outlive her. They really did seem like wonderful kids.

So true-
You've Introduced the JOKER CARD. For some reason, (<undisclosed for brevity purpose>) I have a feeling Parker is going to swing this jury... Julie may be down, but this woman can still calculate. Time to see what kind of force we are dealing with...ty,

G

I suffer so I have been really avoiding this thread, but on that note I have not killed anyone (dont bash me for this but ) I have not had help other than my husband for 20 years the meds are impossible and hard to stay on steadly and do horrific things to my body , now I have a heart issue and cant , and I have had very dark thoughts and sometimes still do, I am lucky though I always snap back , but honestly I can see how it happens , I was constantly screaming begging for help and it does not come easily, someone should have taken her seriously ....my husband has taken me away from the kids and taken the kids away from me when he knows Im going dark, Ive been much better in the last 10 years but who knows when it can manifest I feel bad for all involved. period

((((Sloane7777)))). Thank you for sharing such personal information. you must have a wonderful, caring husband. Hopefully, we can take a lesson from you and not be cruel with our words. Personal experiences are helpful in teaching us what we know very little about. Bless you for your progress and strengths.

ITA. A diagnosis is just that, a diagnosis and it serves as a starting point for treatment. All treatments are not the same as they are individualized for each patient. Every single person on the planet has life experiences, genetics, hormones, internal and external factors that make us who we are.

At times, the tenor on here gets a little bit over the top. I think we all need to recognize this and stop with the pointed posts. We are all here on WS for a reason, whatever that may be. It is also a victim friendly site. Some posters have left this thread all together because of said tenor as it made them afraid of being attacked, argued with, or made to feel badly after what they shared that was personal to them was pounced on. I hope we can go forward with civility.

I really appreciate and value everyone's POV as psych has never been my strong suit in my career. I defer to those that know more always. I can see the struggles many of you have faced from your posts and I truly appreciate the sharing that has occurred.

If we could possibly remain respectful, that would be awesome. I would like to see this thread kept open and would invite others to share their thoughts without fear of being blasted for their opinions or experiences. TIA and sorry for the rant.

Thank you for this very good post, Zuri.
:tyou:

You know, I think it's natural that especially in such a horrific case as this, we all look at it through our own unique set of lenses--our own experiences. And so we might feel very strongly about one or more of the situational aspects because of our own experience or the experiences of loved ones and family.

But the truth is that we don't know squat about the lives of these particular people and can only speculate based on evidence posted online and a mere three days of trial! :floorlaugh:

It's time to lighten up. The wise comment about people with mental issues arguing about them was a valid point, but also a funny one (if you think about it).

And also...I finished grading today! A brief trip into the office tomorrow and I'm through for the semester! :loveyou:

:drumroll:

You know, I think it's natural that especially in such a horrific case as this, we all look at it through our own unique set of lenses--our own experiences. And so we might feel very strongly about one or more of the situational aspects because of our own experience or the experiences of loved ones and family.

But the truth is that we don't know squat about the lives of these particular people and can only speculate based on evidence posted online and a mere three days of trial! :floorlaugh:

It's time to lighten up. The wise comment about people with mental issues arguing about them was a valid point, but also a funny one (if you think about it).

And also...I finished grading today! A brief trip into the office tomorrow and I'm through for the semester! :loveyou:

BBM Yes.

:party: for your finished semester, janx. Enjoy your summer off (you do have the summer off?)

Thank you, YorN! I teach summer classes but will have some time before and after to spend some time with my family in Oregon and Alaska.

I was able to locate the altercation between JS and the judge on YouTube. Croaker Queen, "Judge vs. Julie."

According to a Tampa Bay Times tweet, this was finally resolved, but the resolution is not on video. The more I watched it, the more I was convinced that JS was freaked out at the subject of the stipulation.

1) In yesterday's testimony, the gun shop guy said she was shaking a little bit when she bought the gun

2) Also, the gun shop guy said he most likely recommended the hollow point bullets.

3) We also have Parker's version of what her kids were like. He reported that his daughter was verbally abusive to her mother -- taunting her because of her mental illness and preying on her insecurities.

I'm talking about the "perp walk" shaking--she appeared unable to walk due to the TD.

Julie is a former high ranking military intelligence officer--she doesn't need suggestions from anyone about ammo.

The children were children. There is no theory under which they are responsible for their deaths at the hands of their mother, no matter what they said or did. None.

P.S. Thank you for your post about sharing life experiences--I think that we are all coming from a very personal place regarding this case & it is a very emotional response. I have taken no offense & hope you & everyone else takes no offense to my passionate posts! :loveyou:

Congratulations!
You can bring the pie and cool whip tomorrow.

Yup! Stocked up on comfort food for tomorrow's trial viewing:

Pecan pie and cool wHHip
Chocolate chip ice cream
Roast chicken and French bread
Sliced melon and strawberries with cool wHHip
salsa and chips.

Life is short, eat desert first.

Hey all! New Here! Just wanted to add - my grandmother suffered from schizophrenia. As a little girl, I can remember her thinking the phone company tapped her phones, that people had hidden things in her house when they came to visit, etc. She didn't know she was MI. When she was much older, we had to tell her she was getting an Osteoporosis shot - while in reality, she was getting her medication. If one were to meet her, she was functioning - you'd probably not recognize that something was "off". But, it really was and was sad to watch and to feel helpless.
Also, wanted to add that Parker wrote that he didn't believe that she had the "energy to commit suicide" in one of his emails to the therapist. I also read in one of the emails that he saw the therapists note basically okaying JS to drink no more than two drinks with her Lithium.
One final thought - like other posters, I too believe that she should have been checked out medically before being interviewed. I think many of her comments show a lack of connection to reality.
Glad to be here!

:welcome4:
:greetings:

What I find strange is the constant referral to her "messing up" the basic spelling of words or grammar. I mean, considering the gravity of what her brother knew of her Mental Illness - isn't that a tiny thing? It's like they all were just over her illness and wanted her to just "straighten up" and get "fixed".

It seemed to me that his harping on her grammar errors was a passive aggressive dig about her substance abuse issues.

The whole family's communication style has bothered me from the beginning, sending emails about everything. I'm more of a pick up the phone and speak your mind kind of person, so I can't relate to all the emails.
Having said that, I am really making an effort to keep my personal thoughts out of this and am just chewing on the facts as they come.

Sorry to monopolize things this afternoon. One quick question, and then I'm off to finish the laundry and go out and do some gardening.

I've been checking to find out what would happen if JS were found guilty and what would happen if she were found not guilty.

If guilty, she'd get 25 years to life (can't see her living more than 25 years -- she's aged 2 decades in the past 3 years)

But what if not guilty due to insanity? Would she be committed to an institution -- and how long? Or would she just be let out on the streets? Where would she go?

I've been searching the web, but can't yet find what they do in Florida.

If she is found not guilty due to insanity, there will be a hearing to decide what her treatment will be.
I had found info about this and posted on the other thread..I'll copy/paste it here:

"From what I understand regarding Florida Law, if she is found 'Not Guilty by reason of Insanity' she would not necessarily be discharged and "go free". A hearing would be held to determine if she would be institutionalized, or receive out-patient care and be assigned a social worker, or if she would not receive any care at all.

This is based on Florida Statute 916.15 - Involuntary commitment of defendant adjudicated not guilty by reason of insanity.

The Full Statute can be found here:
http://www.flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2011/916.15

This statute states that: "A defendant who is acquitted of criminal charges because of a finding of not guilty by reason of insanity may be involuntarily committed pursuant to such finding if the defendant has a mental illness and, because of the illness, is manifestly dangerous to himself or herself or others."

and

"In all proceedings under this section, both the defendant and the state shall have the right to a hearing before the committing court."

As well as Rule: 3.217. Judgment of Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity

which states: "... if the court then determines that the defendant presently meets the criteria set forth by law, the court shall commit the defendant to the Department of Children and Family Services or shall order outpatient treatment at any other appropriate facility or service, or shall discharge the defendant. Any order committing the defendant or requiring outpatient treatment or other outpatient service ...""

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l