GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
o/t I have never seen this happen before.

Retweeted by Trial Chatter
Andrew Amelinckx ‏@BE_TheAmelinckx 1m
Judge sends jury in #DavidChalue murder case back to deliberate after a juror says she did not agree with guilty verdicts.

Sorry for the continued OT but this is really interesting (and surprising):

Andrew Amelinckx ‏@BE_TheAmelinckx · 28m
#DavidChalue found guilty on all charges - 3 counts of murder kidnapping & witness intimidation

Kevin Moran ‏@iamberkshire · 11m
After "guilty" #DavidChalue verdict, jurors polled. 1 says she didn't support verdict. Judge orders jury deliberate: http://www.berkshireeagle.com/News/ci_25609584/ …

12:33 PM

Twitter
carsonchambers

@CarsonChambers

State: #JulieSchenecker killed her children bc she felt angry, despondant

same goes for you zoey!! :Crown: update queens :D

amazing :)

Going to the jury.

I'm praying their water supply is different than that servicing Pinella county....

holy buzzzzzz you keep this thread updated in almost real time AND keep up with other things???:scared:

i humbly offer you my crown:tyou::Crown:

Popsicle always does a beautiful job keeping us all updated!

:loveyou::loveyou:

Jeff Patterson ‏@WFLAJeff · 25s
State has finished closing arguments in #ScheneckerTrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive · 59s
Judge calls for a 15 min break. #ScheneckerTrial

Tampa Bay Times Live ‏@TBTimesLive · 1m
Today, prosecutor says, Julie has the blood of Calyx & Beau on her hands. He concludes his closing argument. #ScheneckerTrial

ABCActionNewsCourt ‏@actionnewscourt · 51s
State: I implore you... to return verdicts of guilty as charged as to each count of the indictment. State rests. #ScheneckerTrial

He nailed his closing. He said much of what I'd been thinking all along.

I couldn't even speak/type. I was transfixed. He truly hit all of the highlights that is for sure. He truly proved motive, planning, and also that she was functioning at the time.

wow.. that picture of her in the gun store.. you would not even know it is the same person.

they zoomed in on her after the state rested and she sat there upright and stoic with a sneer on her face.

It's not stated in the statute that she's sane if she knew that it violates the law and knew that society considers it wrong - that must be how the courts have applied the statute over time though and is probably part of the jury instructions. That is a very helpful clarification. Without it, there's more of an argument that she thought what she was doing was "right."

"In 2000, the Florida legislature changed the landscape in cases where
insanity is raised as a defense. The Florida legislature passed Senate Bill
268, creating section 775.027, Florida Statutes. The law is patterned after a
similar federal law on insanity. A copy of the session law is attached at
Appendix A.

The Senate staff analysis for Senate Bill 268 outlines the Florida
Legislature’s rationale for changing the law. The analysis contains the
following quote:

The acquittal of John Hinkley on all charges stemming from his
attempt on President Reagan’s life, coupled with the ensuing
public focus on the insanity defense, prompted Congress to
undertake a comprehensive overhaul of the insanity defense as
it operated in the federal courts. Shannon v. United States, 512
U.S. 573, 114 S. Ct. 2419 (1994). As a result of this case,
Congress passed the Insanity Defense Reform Act of 1984,
(IDRA), 18 U.S.C. ss. 17, 4241-4247. The IDRA makes
insanity an affirmative defense in federal courts, to be proved
by the defendant, by clear and convincing evidence.

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/clerk/comments/2005/05-1622 Second Amended Report 3-9-06.pdf

"In November 2000, President Bill Clinton authorized the development of up to 100 pilot "mental health courts," modeled in part on an innovative Florida court that hears cases involving mentally ill defendants accused of non-violent offenses. Here's background on the legislation and its limitations, and a preview of what Congress may have in store for the current session.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/crime/trial/mhcourts.html

Sorry for the continued OT but this is really interesting (and surprising):

Andrew Amelinckx ‏@BE_TheAmelinckx · 28m
#DavidChalue found guilty on all charges - 3 counts of murder kidnapping & witness intimidation

Kevin Moran ‏@iamberkshire · 11m
After "guilty" #DavidChalue verdict, jurors polled. 1 says she didn't support verdict. Judge orders jury deliberate: http://www.berkshireeagle.com/News/ci_25609584/ …

well why didn't she freaking speak up before they all piled in and went thru the rigmaroll?

fgs!

I have never seen the likes of it!

Absolutely. Between Popsicle, Zoey, and Abigail we know everything that is being said.

IMO

absolutely!! thanks abigail.......i love the "real" updates as much as the tweets!!

:Crown:

:):seeya:

JS sure does appear more alert today and walks with much more vim, vigor and vitality IMO. Perhaps she thinks she is going home.....

He nailed his closing. He said much of what I'd been thinking all along.

He sure pulled it all together.

I loved his demeanor throughout. Nothing arrogant about him. He came across as just an honest man wanting true justice for two children that never deserved any of this.

Prayers for Beau, Caylx, and their father, Parker.:heart:

IMO

Wow, ...so he has me pretty well convinced that she did know right from wrong. I would hate to be the juror that caused a hung jury, but I'm still struggling with the issue of sanity. She was clearly not sane. Or at the least extremely ill. I can't seem to find the line that I need to cross over to a guilty verdict.

I'm getting closer to the line...

"A defendant who believed that what [he] [she] was doing was
morally right is not insane if the defendant knew that what [he] [she]
was doing violated societal standards or was against the law. (See
Wallace v. State, 766 So.2d 364 (Fla. 3rd DCA 2000).
This part of the instruction stems from Wallace, supra. In Wallace,
the defendant claimed he was insane both from a M’Naghten theory of
insanity and insanity by suffering from hallucinations. "

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/clerk/comments/2005/05-1622 Second Amended Report 3-9-06.pdf

12:34 PM

Twitter
carsonchambers

@CarsonChambers

State: she couldn't and wouldn't face the possibility of a life alone ~ so she took her children with her #JulieSchenecker

I think what might be closer to the truth is that she did not want to have her MIL raise HER children. She wanted to die but did not want someone else raising them, seeing them graduate, get married, have grandchildren, etc. PS has already proven he could have finished raising them on his own. jmo

I was just wondering, regardless of the verdict of the jury, the Judge can still impose a sentence that would require long term intensive treatment correct? Or did I get confused yet again? Lol.

I think what might be closer to the truth is that she did not want to have her MIL raise HER children. She wanted to die but did not want someone else raising them, seeing them graduate, get married, have grandchildren, etc. PS has already proven he could have finished raising them on his own. jmo

agreed. She had a motive list as long as my arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay