FL - Chad Oulson, 43, killed in Wesley Chapel theater shooting, 13 Jan 2014 *Former LE arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why did it take eight years for Curtis Reeves case to go to trial?
February 8 Update: The Curtis Reeves trial had another day of jury selection. On Tuesday, around 50 jurors were seen and 24 of them were released. An additional 15 jurors came in later and 3 of those were released.
The process will continue and they are forecasted to have a jury sat by the end of tomorrow.
--
February 7 Update: This first day was a long one for potential jurors. More than half of the initial pool of 50 prospective jurors told the court they knew something about the case.
The wide media coverage this trial received has been a concern as far as what it would mean for seating a jury.
The judge and lawyers questioned those who said they’d heard of the case.
Five prospective jurors were dismissed because they said they already made their minds up about the case. Jury selection is expected to continue Tuesday.

No jurors selected on third day of Curtis Reeves trial | wtsp.com

Day 3 of Curtis Reeves trial moves at slow pace as attorneys narrow down jury pool

February 9, 2022

DADE CITY, Fla. — The third day of jury selection for the trial of Curtis Reeves moved at a slow pace, with no jurors seated on the 10-member panel.

Judge Susan Barthle and attorneys spent half the day finishing individual questioning about the publicity surrounding the case, while the other half was spent posing questions to the 52 jurors that remain.
[...]
During individual questioning, one potential juror started crying after the state asked them questions about their opinion of self-defense.

Throughout the course of jury selection, most jurors had limited or no knowledge of the case, but those with established opinions believe Reeves is guilty. However, on Wednesday, there was one juror firmly set in the opinion that Reeves acted in self-defense. That juror was dismissed, along with jurors who had formed any strong opinions.
[...]

I really like this judge especially after today. Around 3pm today she put her foot down and told the defense "we are finishing today!" "we must" "we have to!" .... Dang after 8 years the defense is still trying to delay ..if even for another day <IMO.

I agree with the Judge ....the defense took more time when they were questioning the potential jurors individually...way more time than the state did...so I agree with the Judge that they are about even on the time spent questioning the jury pool.

Let's get this going. It is about time for the wheels of justice to turn in this case. < IMO, JMO, MOO >

Jury seated in Curtis Reeves movie theater murder trial in Pasco County
Jury seated in Curtis Reeves’ murder trial in Pasco movie theater killing
After days of grueling questioning, the six-person jury in the murder trial of the retired Tampa police captain has been seated. Opening statements are set to begin Monday.
February 10, 2022
DADE CITY — It wasn’t pretty, and it certainly wasn’t easy, but after four long days inside Pasco County’s Dade City courthouse, six jurors and four alternates were finally seated Thursday evening.
[...]
It took three days for 115 potential jurors to be whittled down to a pool of 52 who arrived for court early Thursday, after nearly every juror was questioned individually on what they had learned about the case in the 8 years it has played out in the media.
[...]
Now that a jury has been seated, Reeves’ criminal trial will begin at 9 a.m. Monday with opening statements and the first witnesses.

https://twitter.com/cathyrusson
Executive Producer at Law&Crime Trial Network, a Dan Abrams production.

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson·9h
Judge says she thinks it's fair defense can mention that Oulson was not texting his daughter. Judge acknowledges that many jurors said that's what they heard about the case. Also, witnesses for the state will testify that Oulson told #CurtisReeves he was texting about daughter

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson·9h
Defense wants to mention in their opening statements what Chad Oulson was doing on his phone during previews. He was not texting the babysitter to check on his daughter, he was browsing the internet, football sites, etc...
#MovieTheaterShooting
#CurtisReeves
@LawCrimeNetwork

Oh, okie dokey.

No guns allowed in the theater, but fine for Reeves to shoot and kill Oulson because Oulson lied to Reeves -- he was NOT texting the babysitter to check on his little daughter. He lied! [According to Curtis Reeves.] He was having fun surfing the web with his phone! This was an egregious, outrageous violation of theater policy, as far as Curtis Reeves was concerned. So, Chad Oulson was fair game. Curtis Reeves was finally going to get to shoot someone. That's exactly why he always carried his pocket pistol with him! He'd tried to incite potential victims before, but nobody rose to the bait. That day, he got lucky! He provoked Chad Oulson purposely so that he could use his weapon to kill him.

Can't show the "Weapons Prohibited" signs prominently plastered on the walls of the theater -- because they are irrelevant? I disagree. Chad Oulson would not be dead if Reeves had observed the "No Weapons" policy. Chad Oulson's wife would still have a husband. Chad Oulson's little girl would still have her Daddy!

Nobody throws popcorn in Curtis Reeves' face and lives.

If this man is not found guilty, and sent away for the rest of his life . . .

snip:
He'd tried to incite potential victims before, but nobody rose to the bait.
^^Unfortunately, those previous victims apparently won't be testifying, according to this news report:
https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/...s-with-moviegoers-but-they-wont-be-testifying

Curtis Reeves had previous run-ins with moviegoers, but they won't be testifying
Trial set to start Monday morning
Feb 11, 2022
DADE CITY, Fla. — Years before Curtis Reeves shot and killed Chad Oulson inside a movie theater, Edward Thompson said he also had a confrontation with the retired police captain.
In 2014, Thompson told ABC Action News he and a woman were at a Zephyrhills movie theater talking quietly in the back row during the previews and Reeves was nearby.
“He was sitting in the seat and he turns like this and looks back towards us and he says why don’t you shut up,” Thompson told us.
Thompson said he politely asked Reeves to find another seat, but Reeves responded by saying, "This is my seat and I said shut-up.”
[...]
Also in 2014, ABC Action News interviewed Micheal And Jamira Dixon about an incident they said happened just two weeks before Reeves killed Oulson. The Dixon’s said at the same theater in Wesley Chapel, Reeves was also barking at them about texting during the previews.
[...]
After Reeves was arrested, both Thompson and the Dixon’s said they instantly recognized him as the same man they had dealt with recently. All of them have spoken with authorities in the past, but it doesn’t appear any of them will be asked to testify in the trial.

The Defense's opening statement is the most bizarre I have ever seen. I do not think it will help their case at all.

This case represents everything that is wrong with our justice
system, a system that allows the defense to exploit its weaknesses
and delay the trial for 8 freaking years-- it is obscene!!!

Yes it is. I thought California was bad, routinely allowing delays of 5-7 years in high profile cases, but I guess even states such as Florida experience this nonsense. The 'justice' system in many states is a sick and expensive joke, a mockery of true justice. The families, and the taxpayers at large, are the victims here. The poor wife of this man who was callously gunned down continues to suffer, while attorneys and judges play their little courtroom games without a care in the world.

Yes it is. I thought California was bad, routinely allowing delays of 5-7 years in high profile cases, but I guess even states such as Florida experience this nonsense. The 'justice' system in many states is a sick and expensive joke, a mockery of true justice. The families, and the taxpayers at large, are the victims here. The poor wife of this man who was callously gunned down continues to suffer, while attorneys and judges play their little courtroom games without a care in the world.
I agree completely. The defendant thought he was entitled to shoot someone because after all, he is former law enforcement.

I can think of many cases that meet your criteria of ridiculous delays but that is for a different thread.

I think he will be found guilty.

The defendant is a long time crony of Tampa's mayor, who was on TPD during the years that he was. She rose to chief of police, then entered politics to run for mayor after she accidently lost her trigger finger in a sailing accident. She is very popular, and has a lot of juice. This guy Reeves knows a lot of dirt on a lot of high powered people. Tampa government has always been corrupt, Trafficante style.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand
Back