Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why's no-one talking about the pedo?

I just figure, he's a little bit to blame for Cherish's death too, y'know?

I find it very hard to believe that the 'attempted' kidnapping and stalkerish behaviour he was actually caught for in the past were his only crimes.

This guy was very well experienced in abduction.. and bold, with it. Looking at the scams he pulled to get kids to himself.. Maybe there's other victims in the area, or areas where he's lived and travelled. In fact, I'd bet on it.

And since he has no problem killing a child, maybe there's some missing kids in his wake that have never been found, or no-one was ever caught for the crime.

I just cannot and do not believe there aren't other rape or even homicide victims of his out there, somewhere.

For me, I KNOW he did it. I know what I want to happen to him. I know he shouldn't have been out of jail. I don't know what the mom did. I don't know why she did what she did. I don't know what really happened in those several hours.

There is really nothing to speculate about the sicko. He found a lady who wouldn't protect her child, and he took advantage of the situation. He is a serial sex offender. We don't have to speculate about any of that. There is no confusion surrounding his motives or choices. We KNOW he wanted to harm the girl, and he did. So many things we don't know about the mom's choices.

I'm in no way not talking about him, because I don't believe he's to blame.

"She didn't realize they left the store. She walked around the store looking for Cherish, asking the employees, 'have you seen a little girl?'" added Pearson.

According to Pearson Rayne went to the McDonalds and security and asked employees if they and seen Cherish.

"Finally she went to one of the employees and said I think my daughter has been taken, and that's when they called 9-1-1," Pearson said.

She went to the Mcdonalds that had been closed an HOUR and asked them if they had seen a little girl? Ummm. I so want to see that surveillance footage.

Good point, SouthAussie. She is a bit of a puzzle. By that, I mean: idiot.

imo, bad parenting has nothing to do with income, whether you take your kit off for a living, whether your kids get head lice (I'd be in prison, if that was the case, why don't schools make ALL the kids get treatment at the same time?.. oops, rant for another thread...) or whether your kids have messy rooms. Or hey, what colour your hair is.

Bad parenting for me comes down to one thing: is the parent putting the child's needs, health and welfare to the fore of their attention or not?

In this case: clearly, no.

One thing I do find very curious (read: suspicious) is the sheer amount of time spent tooling around these stores - hour upon hour, and with little kids in tow, late at night?

This is the one thing that isn't making any sense to me, and which makes me wonder whether Don the Pedo had promised to score some drugs or something - the gift card thing just doesn't gel. Not with all those dress-less hours wandering about with nothing to show for it but a missing child.

And all of the things you say aren't important (that other posters mentioned) are examples of some of the signs of parenting, child's needs, health, and welfare. The examples are ways to define it.

She went to the Mcdonalds that had been closed an HOUR and asked them if they had seen a little girl? Ummm. I so want to see that surveillance footage.

I'd like to see the surveillance from the DG, if there is any, too. I wonder just a little if he was as much a stranger to her as she claims. I'd like to see their initial interaction.

I also noticed the mother's hair color change from black in the Walmart footage to red the next morning. I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt. In her shoes, I would have been tearing my hair out, not dying (dyeing?) it. :-/

I did wonder if the suspect would dye his hair or change his appearance overnight, but I guess not. Guess he knew he & his van were allllll over store camera footage. He was going to prison, anyway, so WHYWHYWHY not just let her go? (Though, as a survivor of *****ty stuff myself, I'm aware that being let go & surviving also comes with its own caveats.)

Poor baby girl. May she fly with the angels. I hope her siblings will end up in protective custody, IMO.

20 minutes is a HUGE chunk of time... to be doing anything, but looking for your daughter? That is an inordinant amount of time. I don't go to WM ever, but I know they are large stores. But 20 freaking minutes? Think of all the things you can do in 20 minutes. Ridiculous. I am not victim bashing at all - if fact, I kinda defended the mom early on when she was being piled on, but TWENTY MINUTES????

Been wondering the same thing.

Two adults looking for someone to ‘help them out’ but only one of them got what they wanted?

…he overheard her telling her daughter that she couldn't afford a dress the girl was asking for.
"He saw me putting things back because I couldn't afford them …

No kidding.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if going to stores and loudly saying she can't afford things was her way of preying upon the kindness and sympathy of strangers to get them to buy things for her. I would never have believed such behavior went on until we moved here. People will stand and block gas pumps just waiting for someone to give them money for gas, because they "forgot" their money at home, but refuse to move out of the way. They approach people putting groceries in their car and ask for money. It's their way of life.

Why's no-one talking about the pedo?

I just figure, he's a little bit to blame for Cherish's death too, y'know?

I find it very hard to believe that the 'attempted' kidnapping and stalkerish behaviour he was actually caught for in the past were his only crimes.

This guy was very well experienced in abduction.. and bold, with it. Looking at the scams he pulled to get kids to himself.. Maybe there's other victims in the area, or areas where he's lived and travelled. In fact, I'd bet on it.

And since he has no problem killing a child, maybe there's some missing kids in his wake that have never been found, or no-one was ever caught for the crime.

I just cannot and do not believe there aren't other rape or even homicide victims of his out there, somewhere.

He is to blame and never should have been out of a cage.Most people here and the reg people in the world already know why he did what he did Friday night, his actions read like a How to for Pedophiles.The mother's I can not understand.IMO The red flags would have been as huge to me as if he were a flag man and there was more then 1 and it was like she was completely colorblind. JIMO!

I am wondering also about his list of victims.

I'd like to see the surveillance from the DG, if there is any, too. I wonder just a little if he was as much a stranger to her as she claims. I'd like to see their initial interaction.

And another strange thing, I truly believe they just met him in the DG ( I think) but another shopper reported seeing little Charish walk out of Walmart with Smith like no big deal.

Why this child just walked out with him unless they had rode around together for a while before walmart and child thinks ah this is my Mom's friend, it's ok to leave with him?

Would like to see surveillance time they left DG and surveillance time they arrived inside Walmart. Bet LE already knows.

File under "this does not compute":

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...tigation-delay-notifying-public#ixzz2XGpWrUzB

saying her daughter had gone to a McDonald’s with a man named Don a half-hour earlier and not returned. About 12:30 a.m. Saturday police sent out alerts to news outlets that they were investigating a homicide on Lem Turner Drive.

She either knew Cherish went with the perp "to McDonald's" or she did not. Which is it? Can't be both ways.

This one ^^^ I went to this Wal-Mart today.

Good point, SouthAussie. She is a bit of a puzzle. By that, I mean: idiot.

imo, bad parenting has nothing to do with income, whether you take your kit off for a living, whether your kids get head lice (I'd be in prison, if that was the case, why don't schools make ALL the kids get treatment at the same time?.. oops, rant for another thread...) or whether your kids have messy rooms. Or hey, what colour your hair is.

Bad parenting for me comes down to one thing: is the parent putting the child's needs, health and welfare to the fore of their attention or not?

In this case: clearly, no.

One thing I do find very curious (read: suspicious) is the sheer amount of time spent tooling around these stores - hour upon hour, and with little kids in tow, late at night?

This is the one thing that isn't making any sense to me, and which makes me wonder whether Don the Pedo had promised to score some drugs or something - the gift card thing just doesn't gel. Not with all those dress-less hours wandering about with nothing to show for it but a missing child.

I'm with you and LolaAngelina.......when I first read of this sad case, that is one of the first things I thought of........going out at 7.30pm with a 3,5 & 8 year old on a Friday night and still being out at 11pm with them!!!!! My son is 8 and when we let him stay up late on weekends etc, he is lucky to make 9pm.......that is very late for a 3 and 5 year old. I do blame the predator, but I also think he used his charm on mum and it worked..

OT but I am surprised that the wife of an evaluator is posting publicly. I really don't think it is her place to comment on one of her husband's case files.

She directly quoted the correspondence that is public. Word for word, as if she used copy and paste. I also read her comment as, he said he was worried about the girl...once the judgement had been made. AFTER the judgement, he expressed his fears. A reactionary statement, if you will. Not that I'm defending her or him, if he did in fact share confidential information. It just didn't seem like it to me.

File under "this does not compute":

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...tigation-delay-notifying-public#ixzz2XGpWrUzB

saying her daughter had gone to a McDonald’s with a man named Don a half-hour earlier and not returned. About 12:30 a.m. Saturday police sent out alerts to news outlets that they were investigating a homicide on Lem Turner Drive.

She either knew Cherish went with the perp "to McDonald's" or she did not. Which is it? Can't be both ways.

This one ^^^ I went to this Wal-Mart today.

Wow. By 12:30 am they had already found her body? What was she gone, an hour at that point???

This breaks my heart. The family victimized by this murderer in 2009 is blaming themselves for him having been released to murder another girl.

In March 2012, Smith, a sex offender whose crimes against children date back to the 1970s, agreed to a plea deal with State Attorney Angela Corey’s office for asking sexually explicit questions of Thornton’s daughter and manipulating her family.
That plea, which Thornton said the prosecutor told her he based in part on her refusal to let her fearful daughter testify, allowed Smith to get out of jail on May 31.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...ilty-about-plea-got-him-2-years#ixzz2XHfDJUoE
She accused Martin of not keeping his promise to ensure Smith would get at least five years in prison, which would have kept him there until 2016. She also blamed Martin for not telling her about the outcome of the case or Smith’s release in May.

And this from http://www.news4jax.com/news/local-...mith/-/475880/20715900/-/j1fj3xz/-/index.html:
Thornton told Channel 4 that Smith called for her at her mother-in-law's home claiming to be looking into allegations that her daughter, Christina, had been molested by her grandfather. After Smith with done speaking with Thornton, he asked to speak with her 10-year-old daughter.

"He asked her if she had hair down there and what size bra she wore and she was crying. She didn't say anything back to him, she gave the phone to her grandmother. Donald Smith told her that they had to meet at McDonalds's, to take her to go get checked," said Thornton.

According to the police report, Smith told police that he remembered making the phone call and told police at the time, he had been on a 3-day crack cocaine binge. Smith couldn't explain to police why Thornton's number was listed under "favorites" in his cell phone.

Thornton said Smith was offered a plea deal in effort to keep her little girl from having to re-live the trauma by testifying in court.

Such a shame that this poor victim of this predator feels such guilt. I can't fault the mother for wanting to protect her daughter from having to relive such a horrible experience; I could see from a live interview a few days ago that the poor girl is still very traumatized by both what happened to her and what happened to Cherish.

It has been reported...mom remembers lil Cherish's last word 'cheeseburger'. She knew.

The most amazing thing to me...is that all this went down the night before summer visitation with Dad. 'Why' is a big word. But, I wonder it.

Too close for comfort,timeline IMO would suggest possibly something coming out when she was away. It took my sons sis being at my house for Christmas Vacation on the 5 day of a 7 day visit to tell me about the new BF of mom tying her to the arms of a kitchen chair because she would not eat what he made for dinner for over 4 hours.We just got a bowl of potato chips and our juice boxes and we started watching a movie and out were laughing few minutes later see just blurted it out. She has known me since she was about 18 months old and thinks of me as GMA. My son and I called the police that night,now I never get her anymore and only catch a glimpse and a wave when mom picks up my GS,son has a court order an has been fighting for full custody the past almost 3 1/2 hrs now.

Apologies if already posted the timeline :

ttp://www.firstcoastnews.com/topstories/article/317850/483/JSO-releases-timeline-of-Cherish-Perrywinkle-murder

I have a question too. Does Dollar General carry dresses for girls? Consistently? It's been a while since I've been in one and I don't remember seeing a lot (if any) clothing items other that socks/underwear, flip-flops, that kind of stuff.

Yes, they do. Not a huge selection but they do carry seasonal clothing in most sizes and genders. I was in my local one tonight to get cat litter because hubby informed me we were out as I do not clean the cat box. I usually shop at Wal-Mart but the nearest one is 15 miles and the DG is 3 miles and much less expensive than the grocery store in the nearest one stoplight town. I was looking around as they had re-arranged everything including the check out area since the last time I had been in there.

I don't think that anyone would disagree with you Ausgirl. He is a sick, murdering creep that shouldn't have been walking the streets any more. There are too many of them.

The mother is a bit more of an anomaly. Someone we can't quite figure out.

If you look at the side bar, homicide detectives respond to abductions and the address they responded to is the same address as the WalMart.

It's confusing, I know.

I see. So they didn't find her at that time, the reporting was misleading. Thank you for that link!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allewine