GUILTY FL - Cherish Perrywinkle, 8, Jacksonville, 21 June 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
this isn't true, the rules are statewide. you can name your child anna bananahammock if you want. my grand has his fathers last name, they arent married. id link but am on phone.

Not sure about that...My Niece just went through this here in Duval County in November..She wasn't allowed to give the baby the Father's last name due to not being married...I will check for the specifics when I get time.

I am just LIVID that they had an open casket and put this baby on display..I'm sorry a lot of those people weren't there out of respect they were there to be nosy..There were kids there that IMO SHOULD NOT have been there..

By the way they're allowing cameras in the church tomorrow for the service and it will be broadcasted live...Probably with the casket still open..UGH!!! WTH are these people thinking putting a 8 y/o childs dead body on display OMG it just makes me physically ill...

:banghead::stormingmad:

Just to clarify notice the bold where i said "probably" and I wasn't meaning the cameras would show the childs body...However watching the live service now..IT IS NOT OPEN...THANKFULLY!!!

When I first heard Cherish's father's last name, I wondered if he was from around where I am because he has a last name that is very common around these parts. I just got back from lunch with hubby, BIL and BIL's friend. The friend started talking a bit about what happened and who her father was and who his parents are (cuz everyone here knows everyone or is related by a degree or two). My BIL's friend knows who Billy is and Billy's parents still live around here. BIL lives in the same small town as Billy's family.

I made sure to tell the friend about the details of how Cherish came to end up with the sex offender and everyone was aghast that RP let DS bring Cherish to the dressing room or even be around her. I gave him the lowdown on the facts of the life that Cherish had and how RP didn't even want her daddy at the funeral but had no problem with inviting strangers to view Cherish's open casket.

How sad that Cherish lived a life where she was denied access to her grandparents and family here. She would have been loved and welcomed and eaten snowballs, crawfish and all of those other yummy Louisiana staples. She would have been loved and cherished. So sad that she ended up with a mother like RP.

Again i have to stop myself to keep from continuing and saying something that would cause the mods any trouble.

I hope LE is interviewing neighbors...both of the current residence and former residence(s) and showing them photos of the perp to determine if DS was ever seen around Cherish's home/former homes at any time prior to the video-documented WM visit and beyond.

I am choosing not to look.

One thing that has struck me - if that court evaluator spent hours and hours in the effort of choosing between a mentally ill women who made bad choices and was a potential danger to her child, and the child's father.. well, if either was a fit parent, in his opinion, surely one of them would have been a slam dunk for a recommendation of custody?

What I'm wondering is - was that person not free to recommend that Cherish remain in the custody of neither?

It just seems like a decision that pained them a great deal. I bet they're feeling pretty rotten, presently.

One thing that has struck me - if that court evaluator spent hours and hours in the effort of choosing between a mentally ill women who made bad choices and was a potential danger to her child, and the child's father.. well, if either was a fit parent, in his opinion, surely one of them would have been a slam dunk for a recommendation of custody?

What I'm wondering is - was that person not free to recommend that Cherish remain in the custody of neither?

It just seems like a decision that pained them a great deal. I bet they're feeling pretty rotten, presently.
If there is one fit parent, it would be remarkable for CPS or the courts, to not keep the child in the family. I know here, it's a priority to keep the child within the family somehow. Whether that be father, mother, grandparent, aunt, etc. Especially in cases where one biological parent is capable, it's unheard of to remove from someone relational. The evaluator said that the father is capable, but up until that point had not been very active in her life...at that point. It would also be a cross country move for Cherish, to a father she didn't know well, and a step mother she didn't know at all. That's probably why it wasn't slam dunk. I still don't think the court heard his warnings enough, but I can see how it wasn't chosen with any certainty...either way. WHY they ultimately chose someone who he didn't think was more fit, I have no idea. I hope that judge is alive and feeling incredible guilt.

Jorelys Rivera did. And though her face was horribly disfigured, they insisted on open casket. There was a sheer veil draped over the casket to mute the fact that her facial repair the funeral home did would never make her face look normal again. Pictures of her in the open casket were published in Puerto Rican newspapers, IIRC, where the father still lived at the time of her murder.

Open casket viewing, even on children, is common in some cultures, a horror to other cultures. Even in America, people view it differently.

I come from a long line of people who prefer cremation and NO casket viewing, just a memorial service. But I understand people have varying views on this stuff.

My hubby's extended family all immigrated from the Philippines, and it's very common, no matter the age of the deceased, to take a picture of the deceased in their casket. I don't know why. I guess they feel it's important to immortalize this final moment. Anyway, I didn't know this when I was engaged to my hubby and went home with him for Christmas that first time.

So we're flipping through photo albums, there's hubby as a child at Disney, hubby riding a bike for the first time, oops, there's grandpa in his casket. :thud:

My family does open casket wakes. It is common here. But I have been to several funerals in my life and I would say a pretty equal variety of open, closed, and cremation/memorial services. If my child was murdered- no way would I have a public wake and funeral.
Mickey Shunick's family didn't have the option of an open casket (and i dont know if they would have had one if it were an option) last summer when Mickey was found after 3 months of being missing. They did have a private funeral for her though. Then a public Celebration of her life that they invited the community to attend,
Jessica Ridgeway's family went the same route. Private funeral, public celebration of her life.
I just feel some people went for the right reasons. (people like us who let these cases and victims into our hearts and hurt for them while trying to learn everything we can to hopefully do something to help either the current case or the next..) and I feel like some went to gawk. To see a murdered child. Of course, I have no proof of this and it's just coming from my personal experience. I had people come to my son's funeral that I hadn't seen or heard from in years. I felt like they were there to say they went, to be nosy, to gossip. And I was right. :mad:

Probably...and yet the evaluator is probably one of the few people involved in all this that can say they did their best (under the parameters within which they were charged to work) to do what was best for Cherish.

Her father... her brother... her 3 sisters.... :stormingmad: :banghead:
Nah... they don't matter to the person in charge of this. :stormingmad: :furious:

caxf.jpg

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Thousa...rvice/-/475880/20750608/-/sx4qlv/-/index.html

Just jumping from this post about this subject...I'm not sure if the youngest siblings were born here in Duval County but in Duval County if the mother and the father isn't married at the time of the childs birth the child/children take the mothers last name...They will NOT let you name the child the Fathers last name..Even if he is present at the time of birth..

You can go down to vital statistics at a later date and have it changed and him added to the birth certificate if he is also present..

I am behind reading so I apologize if someone already spoke on this. I live in Duval County. My youngest was born here in 2006. I was not married to her father and she has his last name. I didn't do anything after the fact, that is what I put on her birth certificate at the hospital. Things may have changed since then though. Just my personal experience in Duval.

Edited to correct from present tense to past tense

Not sure about that...My Niece just went through this here in Duval County in November..She wasn't allowed to give the baby the Father's last name due to not being married...I will check for the specifics when I get time.

interesting. my daughter was undecided and the birth cert lady told her "honey idc if you name da baby George Washington so long as you give me your correct information!" haha... dad signed it the next day... since they were (are, tg) not married he had to sign it, but had they been married she could have just providsd his info.

But Perrywinkle had some troubling issues, the report noted, including eviction, a lack of money and some admitted mental health issues that led her to make poor choices.

"I fear for the child's future living with Ms. Perrywinkle," wrote evaluator Robert Wood. "I do not make my recommendation lightly. I have given many, many hours of thought to the case."

This stood out to me as well. O hate that the evaluator was so, so right and those poor choices cost Cherish's life.

When I first heard Cherish's father's last name, I wondered if he was from around where I am because he has a last name that is very common around these parts. I just got back from lunch with hubby, BIL and BIL's friend. The friend started talking a bit about what happened and who her father was and who his parents are (cuz everyone here knows everyone or is related by a degree or two). My BIL's friend knows who Billy is and Billy's parents still live around here. BIL lives in the same small town as Billy's family.

I made sure to tell the friend about the details of how Cherish came to end up with the sex offender and everyone was aghast that RP let DS bring Cherish to the dressing room or even be around her. I gave him the lowdown on the facts of the life that Cherish had and how RP didn't even want her daddy at the funeral but had no problem with inviting strangers to view Cherish's open casket.

How sad that Cherish lived a life where she was denied access to her grandparents and family here. She would have been loved and welcomed and eaten snowballs, crawfish and all of those other yummy Louisiana staples. She would have been loved and cherished. So sad that she ended up with a mother like RP.

Again i have to stop myself to keep from continuing and saying something that would cause the mods any trouble.

Your fellow Cajun swamp momma. <3!

Probably feeling very angry with the ruling. It did seem like a very hard decision for them to make and I bet hearing about RP's choices on Friday night and the outcome is causing some major grief and anger. Who would want to be so right about a recommendation at this cost?

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ng=&URL=0300-0399/0382/Sections/0382.013.html

here is the statutes relating to naming a baby. i cant go back on my phone but at first it appears that if mom isnt married she cant give baby dads last name, but then it says who ever has custody can pick the name... i do know in 1993 i was unmarried, and father was not listed on bc but my son had his last name. (for a few months, igot brave and told my parents how it was gonna be, finally!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper