GUILTY FL - Cherish Perrywinkle, 8, Jacksonville, 21 June 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes down to open casket public memorial services/viewings (even in high profile deaths), I think it comes down to "different strokes for different folks" and cultural differences.

For example, when Cincinatti Bengals player (and New Orleans area native) Chris Henry died, there was a public viewing & funeral service held. Many of the media pics show his small daughter and teammates passing by his open coffin. It was a non-issue for his family and the local community, although some who come from cultures where the dead are never photographed were scandalized.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/22/chris-henry-funeral-pictu_n_401111.html

Taking pictures of the deceased at wakes and funeral photography is relatively common in the NO area among some in the black community. It also appears to be fairly common in some Hispanic (for example, Hector "Macho" Camacho's funeral), Filipino, and other cultures. Even at public viewings.

It was common among many during the Victorian period. More recently, often poorer families would take pictures of the deceased to show to family members who could not afford to travel to the funeral service (I've known many who are the descendants of what would have been called "poor whites" in the South who have old albums with such pictures that were taken for this reason). If you google "open casket funeral photos" or the similar, you'll see it's pretty common (but of course, beware that you're going to get hits that show the dead). It seems to be no less relatively common among children and adults who were victims of violence or tragedy (like Cherish) and whose deaths made the news. For example, there are media pics of Ramarley Graham in his casket and family members/mourners around it (his death was high-profile; he was unarmed yet shot by a NOPD officer): http://wchbnewsdetroit.com/2403232/...led-by-nypd-rallies-for-justice-in-the-bronx/. Hadiya Pendelton's death was also high profile. She had performed at the presidential innauguration before being killed by gun violence...the first lady attended her funeral service. Her service had an open casket and there are plenty of pictures of it in the media stories: http://3chicspolitico.com/2013/02/09/hadiya-pendleton-funeral-service/.

So while it may not be the typical white middle-class or upper-class thing to do, an open casket at a public service (even a high-profile public service) with out objection to photos or worrying about photos of the dead isn't uncommom amongst many minority groups as well as working class and poor whites.

It's just cultural differences. Since Florida is such a melting pot of different cultures, many of which include in their funeral customs pictures of the dead or don't get angry if the media takes such pics and the fact that Cherish's family isn't middle or upper class and may also have old photo albums that include pics of dead relatives, I don't see the problem.

Cherish's body was also recovered fairly quickly, so it's also not like there's an open cakset that just contains a skeleton. If her remains had been found months later and had badly decomposed, I doubt there would have been an open casket.

Now selling pictures of a murdered child for monetary gain would be awful, I agree.

And another spelling!

This is not meant to be mean, but is it possible mom is functionally illiterate?

bingo... this was my first thought when i saw that picture. and omg, that poor daddy. how much can a daddy take?!

And another spelling!

This is not meant to be mean, but is it possible mom is functionally illiterate?

We don't know who put that slideshow together, do we? (if the family don't have a stove and ac, do they have a computer?)

interesting. my daughter was undecided and the birth cert lady told her "honey idc if you name da baby George Washington so long as you give me your correct information!" haha... dad signed it the next day... since they were (are, tg) not married he had to sign it, but had they been married she could have just providsd his info.

BBM This was the same with me. He had to sign the bc because we weren't married (and still aren't today - though we are still together).

And another spelling!

NO, she is not. I hope now maybe those that keep giving her the benefit of the doubt will start to see a pattern here.

I was looking at the 911 log. Two different first names, two different spellings of the last name.

Then I looked at the filed police report given and SIGNED by the mother. The very first question on the very first page under Victim Information, Name: in all caps PERRYWINKLE, CHARISH LILLY

Do you mean to tell me she thought enough to provide her middle name, but doesn't know how to spell the kid's first name???? You know an Amber Alert is going out, you don't think to make sure her first name is actually her first name???

I am going to assume that when she called 911 and the mother said her missing daughter's name is "Charish," that the operator asked her to spell it. Maybe only then when they release those tapes and we hear her mother in her own words give a phony spelling for her abducted daughter will we start getting some answers.

Does anyone know what's happening on the live link right now?

I'm seeing a cemetery in the distance, but that's all, are they waiting for them to finish at the gravesite?

We don't know who put that slideshow together, do we? (if the family don't have a stove and ac, do they have a computer?)

She's been on facebook since her daughter was murdered.
So I would guess that yes, she has some sort of internet access.
Maybe someone donated a computer to them too.

i cant imagine even mistaking the spelling or description in that situation. my hubby cant spell worth a hoot but can spell all five of our kids names, first, middle and last! (i have three from a previous marriage, hes even got those down pat!)

Cherish's body was also recovered fairly quickly, so it's also not like there's an open cakset that just contains a skeleton. If her remains had been found months later and had badly decomposed, I doubt there would have been an open casket.

I just want to remind everyone that Cherish's cause of death hasn't been released to the public yet. LE obviously knows how she died, but they clearly have their reasons for not wanting the public to know.

Enter Rayne Perrywinkle and her agenda:
Even good-intentioned people are curious. They are going to be looking at her body to see if they can figure out what killed her. Some injuries are more obvious than others. Sure, they can cover her neck with clothing, but if the kid's laying there in a turtleneck or a scarf I think we can surmise what may have happened. So, Mother of the Year invites news cameras and thousands of people to come and have a gander, speculate, and SHARE!

Watching them at the graveside, with bagpipes being played, I can't help but think, too bad all those people, weren't there with her, when she needed them. :(

Okay I finally went back and looked at this- the dispatch log
it's still not really a good thing, in retrospect, but it states pg 1-
23:19:48
CMP ADVS Male took Daugh to dressing room twice

Took TO
where did this took her IN the dressing room come from???

THANK YOU! I'm not defending the mom but I really don't care for it when people take one thing and twist it into something else.

As I watched the live stream feed I saw somebody taking pictures as she her coffin is buried into the ground ...
There will be public photos it seems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreshowtime
Okay I finally went back and looked at this- the dispatch log
it's still not really a good thing, in retrospect, but it states pg 1-
23:19:48
CMP ADVS Male took Daugh to dressing room twice

Took TO
where did this took her IN the dressing room come from???
http://www.news4jax.com/news/funeral...z/-/index.html

Quote:
Then she told the dispatcher that the man took Cherish into the dressing room twice.http://www.news4jax.com/news/funera...mily/-/475880/20725544/-/5wsa56z/-/index.html

So you are going to take an article's wording over the dispatch log?

And I'm not saying that just taking her *TO* the dressing room is okay either. Just jumping from "to" to "into" insinuates something entirely different.

ETA: I just want to clarify that I think the mom is nuts for letting him take her *to* the dressing room... but posters are taking the article's word of "into" and running with it which eventually leads to rumors or ideas that are probably not true. Posters are assuming that there might be DNA in a walmart dressing room when perhaps he just walked her there and she went in alone. We won't know for sure what happened in WM and DG until we have all the details (surveillance video, etc).

THANK YOU! I'm not defending the mom but I really don't care for it when people take one thing and twist it into something else.

To be fair, it was initial news articles who reported the "into" when the police report said "to"

I think the main point was how horrifying it was she was sending Cherish anywhere with him, let alone to or into a changing room. :twocents:

ETA Link:

Rayne Perrywinkle told police Smith took Cherish into a dressing room twice, and expressed interest in buying the girl high heels.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/conten...erish-Perrywinkle/kBlpqFPYC02ggWPYl6hZMQ.cspx

To be fair, it was initial news articles who reported the "into" when the police report said "to"

I think the main point was how horrifying it was she was sending Cherish anywhere with him, let alone to or into a changing room. :twocents:

But you can't believe everything you see or read on the web. Just the other day people were posting how Jackie Chan died and were sad about it. Newspapers like to create drama and saying she went "into" with DS sounds much more interesting than "to".

http://www.news4jax.com/news/funeral...z/-/index.html

So you are going to take an article's wording over the dispatch log?

And I'm not saying that just taking her *TO* the dressing room is okay either. Just jumping from "to" to "into" insinuates something entirely different.

I agree that there is a big difference; however, no matter which side of the door he was standing on, the implication is clear: He was up to no good.
I am of the opinion that he was doing his research. I believe he took her to the dressing room to time how long it would take her mother to notice she was gone and also when he comes back to gauge her mother's reaction/trust before he suggests he's gonna take Cherish alone with him to get a snack.

I am behind reading so I apologize if someone already spoke on this. I live in Duval County. My youngest was born here in 2006. I was not married to her father and she has his last name. I didn't do anything after the fact, that is what I put on her birth certificate at the hospital. Things may have changed since then though. Just my personal experience in Duval.

Edited to correct from present tense to past tense

Just wondering if paternity had already been established or if dad was there to sign the BC? Maybe that is the difference..My last born was in 2000 and i was married so i only know what others (nieces, nephews, friends) have told me...Maybe they misunderstood or something...

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ng=&URL=0300-0399/0382/Sections/0382.013.html

here is the statutes relating to naming a baby. i cant go back on my phone but at first it appears that if mom isnt married she cant give baby dads last name, but then it says who ever has custody can pick the name... i do know in 1993 i was unmarried, and father was not listed on bc but my son had his last name. (for a few months, igot brave and told my parents how it was gonna be, finally!)

Yeah same here my Daughter was born in 1991 and she had his last name and i wasn't married but he wasn't on her BC.. I have heard recently this has changed from others...Maybe they misunderstood or I did...lol

I agree that there is a big difference; however, no matter which side of the door he was standing on, the implication is clear: He was doing research.
I am of the opinion that he took her to the dressing room to time how long it would take her mother to notice she was gone and also when he comes back to gauge her mother's reaction/trust before he suggests he's gonna take Cherish alone with him to get a snack.

Yes, either way it's not okay. But what I'm reading from posters who are believing this article that he took her "into" the dressing room and thinking things such as how things must not have ever been normal in Cherish's life for her to not be upset by some strange guy taking her to a changing room.... and why would she walk off with him if he just molested her in the changing room? etc.... These are the things being suggested or questioned by other posters just because of how some writer decided to word his article online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member