FL FL - Clermont, WhtMale UP6030, 24-32, transgender, breast implants, Sep'88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Depends on the state. I know some trans people are having issues right now with getting their passports renewed because the state dept. is asking for documents that no longer exist in the states they were born in.

There's unfortunately a fairly decent chance that her bio family never looked for her. Especially back then it was not unusual for LGBT people to be entirely disowned by their families. To the point where gay men were dying from AIDS, and the nurses would contact their next of kin and get cursed at and hung up on. Or they'd get on the phone with the dying man for one more chance at verbally abusing him. Trans people had it even worse than that.
There's a reason why the LGBTQ community makes their own families. Honestly think that doing a push again within the various families and houses may find someone who knew Julie.

Depends on the state. I know some trans people are having issues right now with getting their passports renewed because the state dept. is asking for documents that no longer exist in the states they were born in.

There's unfortunately a fairly decent chance that her bio family never looked for her. Especially back then it was not unusual for LGBT people to be entirely disowned by their families. To the point where gay men were dying from AIDS, and the nurses would contact their next of kin and get cursed at and hung up on. Or they'd get on the phone with the dying man for one more chance at verbally abusing him. Trans people had it even worse than that.
There's a reason why the LGBTQ community makes their own families. Honestly think that doing a push again within the various families and houses may find someone who knew Julie.

Yeah, I remember incidents like that. I know a guy whose family kicked him out when he refused to go into therapy to "cure his homosexual tendencies" and then had a funeral. There was even an obituary printed because after that he was dead to them.

I hope this woman found some happiness as her true self before she died.

Wondering if any Doctors would recall doing the surgery on this woman?
There likely was fewer gender reassignment operations and medical personnel to perform them at that time, imo.

Wondering if any Doctors would recall doing the surgery on this woman?
There likely was fewer gender reassignment operations and medical personnel to perform them at that time, imo.

It would be interesting to know where the centres for that sort of surgery were in the US at that time. There can't have been many of them. That's assuming it wasn't carried out in Canada or in somewhere like Thailand. From what I've read, Thailand has long been a centre for reassignment surgery. I know that until recently it was very rare for it to be done on the NHS here in the UK, and since it therefore had to be done privately Thailand was cheap compared to private surgery in the UK.

I wonder how many cases were handled annually in the US during the 1970 or 1980s. A few hundred? A thousand?

http://mercuryhealthtravel.com/trinidad-colorado-an-unlikely-destination-for-medical-tourism/
"Trinidad Colorado – An Unlikely Destination for Medical Tourism"
"In the 1950s, a Des Moines Iowa-born, Army surgeon moved to Trinidad and established his medical practice there. He was one of the first doctors in the United States to perform sex changes and for years was one of only a handful to offer them. He became one of the country's most prolific providers of the operation, which, it was estimated, he performed more than 4,000 times beginning in 1969. During the 1970's, 80's and early 90's, Trinidad, Colo., where Dr. Biber practiced, was an unlikely mecca for men and women who sought to change their sex. Featured frequently on television and in newspapers, the doctor's work earned the town of about 10,000 people a reputation as "the sex-change capital of the world."

Many people and businesses of the town and surrounding community benefited from this destination brand. They embraced Dr. Biber and his work. They acknowledged the quality of his work and shared the pride in the service he performed to humanity. The former coal-mining town was struggling economically when the doctor moved there."

http://mercuryhealthtravel.com/trinidad-colorado-an-unlikely-destination-for-medical-tourism/
"Trinidad Colorado – An Unlikely Destination for Medical Tourism"
"In the 1950s, a Des Moines Iowa-born, Army surgeon moved to Trinidad and established his medical practice there. He was one of the first doctors in the United States to perform sex changes and for years was one of only a handful to offer them. He became one of the country's most prolific providers of the operation, which, it was estimated, he performed more than 4,000 times beginning in 1969. During the 1970's, 80's and early 90's, Trinidad, Colo., where Dr. Biber practiced, was an unlikely mecca for men and women who sought to change their sex. Featured frequently on television and in newspapers, the doctor's work earned the town of about 10,000 people a reputation as "the sex-change capital of the world."

Many people and businesses of the town and surrounding community benefited from this destination brand. They embraced Dr. Biber and his work. They acknowledged the quality of his work and shared the pride in the service he performed to humanity. The former coal-mining town was struggling economically when the doctor moved there."
Wow dotr,great find!

I agree - a very good find. Wikipedia suggests the population of Trinidad during the 1970s and 1980s was under 10,000 people. I'm guessing that extensive surgery would have taken a considerable period of time, months to a year (?), so patients would have become very familiar faces in the town. Maybe showing Julie's reconstruction around town would be useful.

Trinidad, Colorado - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Just a thought - the Wikipedia article says that Dr Biber retired from his practice in 2003 and that in 2006 his successor moved it to California. I wonder what happened to all of the old medical records. Were they also transferred or destroyed? There's a very good chance that the answer is or was in them.

Just a thought - the Wikipedia article says that Dr Biber retired from his practice in 2003 and that in 2006 his successor moved it to California. I wonder what happened to all of the old medical records. Were they also transferred or destroyed? There's a very good chance that the answer is or was in them.
Maybe this high profile Dr. might have some answers!
Marci Bowers - Wikipedia
rbbm.
"Marci Lee Bowers (born January 18, 1958) is an American gynecologist and surgeon who specializes in gender confirmation surgeries. Bowers' practice is the San Mateo Surgery Center in Burlingame, California.[1] From 2003 to 2010, she practiced in the town of Trinidad, Colorado, where she had studied under Stanley Biber before his retirement.[2][3][4][5]

Bowers is viewed as an innovator in gender confirmation surgery, and—as the first out trans woman to perform such surgeries—a pioneer.[2][6][7][8] Bowers has been referred to as the "rock star" of transgender surgery.[9]

She has spoken about her practice and other transgender topics in a number of documentaries, as well as on The Oprah Winfrey Show and The Tyra Banks Show."

"Julie Doe" - Transgender woman likely murdered in 1988, believed to be cisgender for 27 years
rbbm.
"Her 250cc silicone breast implants, according to an expert in 1988, had been discontinued five years before her death. This means she likely had her upper body reassignment no later than 1984, since surgeons in the United States rarely implant medical devices more than a year after they are manufactured"

"The most likely places she may have had her reassignment done were Miami or Atlanta based on distance, but it was also possible she lived in or near New Orleans, New York City, or California during her transition. The process at that time generally required extensive counseling and a year of living full-time with the gender expression typical of the gender the patient intended to be reassigned to prior to any surgery, and in most cases of male-to-female transition at least orchiectomy was performed back then before starting hormonal treatments."
"Someone remembers her -- maybe someone who transitioned in the late 1970s or early 1980s remembers seeing her at appointments in the waiting room? Maybe she was a member of a support group for people who were transitioning then? Once they have a likely match, her Y chromosome will help with identification because her paternal lineage can be traced, similarly to how mitochondrial DNA testing can identify maternal lineage.

If anyone has information about this woman's identity, or about the circumstances surrounding her death, please contact the Lake County Sheriff's Office at 352-343-2101."

"Her 250cc silicone breast implants, according to an expert in 1988, had been discontinued five years before her death. This means she likely had her upper body reassignment no later than 1984, since surgeons in the United States rarely implant medical devices more than a year after they are manufactured"

If we assume that Julie was at the older end of the age range, she'd have been born around 1956. If we further assume that such drastic surgery would not have been carried out on anyone under the age of 18, the earliest it is likely to have taken place is 1974. So we are looking at a window of 10 years between 1974 and 1984.

Just a thought - if pre-Julie was born around 1956 it's possible he could have been drafted and sent out to SE Asia at the tail end of the Vietnam War. If so, is it possible he could have gone back there to have the surgery?

Otherwise, if Trinidad CO was regarded as the world capital for this surgery, that suggests that the other centres for it were much smaller. It would be useful to have some idea how many cases were passing through each US centre during the period in question.

This hospital was one of the first to offer the surgery, but withdrew in 1979.
Hopkins Hospital: a history of sex reassignment
"In 1965, the Hopkins Hospital became the first academic institution in the United States to perform sex reassignment surgeries. Now also known by names like genital reconstruction surgery and sex realignment surgery, the procedures were perceived as radical and attracted attention from The New York Times and tabloids alike. But they were conducted for experimental, not political, reasons. Regardless, as the first place in the country where doctors and researchers could go to learn about sex reassignment surgery, Hopkins became the model for other institutions. But in 1979, Hopkins stopped performing the surgeries and never resumed."

"Julie Doe" - Transgender woman likely murdered in 1988, believed to be cisgender for 27 years
rbbm.

"The most likely places she may have had her reassignment done were Miami or Atlanta based on distance, but it was also possible she lived in or near New Orleans, New York City, or California during her transition. The process at that time generally required extensive counseling and a year of living full-time with the gender expression typical of the gender the patient intended to be reassigned to prior to any surgery, and in most cases of male-to-female transition at least orchiectomy was performed back then before starting hormonal treatments."
"Someone remembers her -- maybe someone who transitioned in the late 1970s or early 1980s remembers seeing her at appointments in the waiting room? Maybe she was a member of a support group for people who were transitioning then? Once they have a likely match, her Y chromosome will help with identification because her paternal lineage can be traced, similarly to how mitochondrial DNA testing can identify maternal lineage.

If anyone has information about this woman's identity, or about the circumstances surrounding her death, please contact the Lake County Sheriff's Office at 352-343-2101."
I had a thought I had when I read this.

rbbm.

.. what if she was Cuban and came in 1980 in the Mariel Boatlift..Many Cubans who were in prisons were let out then. Many of them were gay and many changed here. How could they match her DNA to anybody here in America? Made me think and I doubt my DNA can be matched to anybody here. Just a thought.

This is actually a good link about Florida and lgbt through the years.
https://www.nps.gov/subjects/lgbtqheritage/upload/lgbtqtheme-miami.pdf

Cubans
A Gender Variance Who's Who: Sophia Lamar (196?–) performer, model, actress.

Once a prisoner in Cuba, a transgender Cuban woman vows to never return

Last edited:
This caught my eye, not sure if she disappeared as in missing, or chose to be incognito?
Ran out of The Star's free articles to learn more, but see a resemblance to the uid person.
Rhonda's Escape: The Woman Who Was Trans Before Her Time
The Woman Who Was Trans Before Her Time

"Dianna Boileau, in an image from her book Behold, I Am a Woman, published in 1972. Born in Winnipeg, she later moved to Toronto, where she led a quiet life until a car accident on the 401 thrust her into the spotlight. She was tormented by the press and lost her job."

This caught my eye, not sure if she disappeared as in missing, or chose to be incognito?
Ran out of The Star's free articles to learn more, but see a resemblance to the uid person.
Rhonda's Escape: The Woman Who Was Trans Before Her Time
The Woman Who Was Trans Before Her Time

"Dianna Boileau, in an image from her book Behold, I Am a Woman, published in 1972. Born in Winnipeg, she later moved to Toronto, where she led a quiet life until a car accident on the 401 thrust her into the spotlight. She was tormented by the press and lost her job."

oh dotr this is really interesting that it mentions car accident as Julie Doe had multiple healed fractures!.. good find!!!... now only if we knew if she is missing.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone has read it but I have not found it.. I only find that she had upper body surgery.. so then what did she have on the bottom? I cant seem to find any info on that anywhere. Also did they ever do isotopes on Julie Doe?

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back