FL FL - Clifford & Christine Walker, both 23, & 2 kids, Osprey, 20 Dec 1959

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I guess they should check it out but I'd be surprised if the two cases were related. Clutter was a robbery gone wrong but I don't really see that in the Walker case which seems more sexually motivated. Of course, no one says that killers have to follow a punch card.

Also one of the Clutter killers had a link to Mr. Clutter in some way, or an associate of his did. They were not a random selection.

Thanks for the link...will try to follow that Sun. Also, at the bottom of the page was another link on case:

A look at the suspects in the Walker family murders

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20121202/ARTICLE/121209966?tc=obinsite

Interesting that both men had disfigurements and were envious of what others had.

Perry said this to Capote about the Walker killings: “Know what I wouldn't be surprised?” Smith asked. “If this wasn't done by a lunatic. Some nut that read about what happened out in Kansas.”................more at link.....

It seems to me exhuming the bodies of Perry and Hickock is a waste. According to the documents that Sean provided on page 12 of the 450 pg. group, Perry and Hickock's fingerprints were compared with those at the Walker crime scene, and didn't match any of them.

The original investigation ran amoke. They let people go on the basis of giving them a lie detector test, but with no mention of also having compaired suspects or POIs fingerprints with fingerprints found at the scene. What gives with that?

One of the people I find very interesting is Cliff's sister's husband, Ozie Youmans.

"...he had made sexual advances on Christine. In 1931, he served two years in
prison for assault with attempt to rape, sheriff's reports say. "http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051219/NEWS/512190338&Page=5

That man tried to sexually assault a woman and Cliff's sister still married him? Had Cliff ever had issues with him before, did he know about the advances?

Thinking that the fight Cliff was in on Thursday holds a valuable key to the perpetrator in this case...I would have thought Cliff may have discussed this with his friend Don McLeod?

Not exactly sure how the current investigator has placed the Walker's as possibly wanting to buy Smith/Hickock's car (other than they were at Altman Chevrolet on Saturday looking at the same model), does anyone know anything about the car salesman being checked out as a suspect back in the day? It may be a stretch too, but read where he was spotted attending the funerals, but was not known to the family prior to the Saturday trip to the dealership, which is strange. If that person left town shortly after the crime, I'd be very suspicious. Anybody know?

New article today.

What if 'In Cold Blood' got it wrong about Walker murders?

The taut prose of the book “In Cold Blood” propelled Truman Capote into the literary stratosphere in 1965.

Trumpeted by the author as a “nonfiction novel,” anticipated in 1962 by Newsweek as “the overwhelmingly factual book (Capote) has been working on for more than two years,” this intimate account of a 1959 quadruple homicide in rural Kansas became an instant classic, the standard for true-crime writing, and the basis for a box-office hit.
But as the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office prepares a request from Kansas authorities for the exhumation of “In Cold Blood” villains Richard Hickock and Perry Smith, Capote's masterpiece will no doubt be revisited by admirers and critics alike.

More at link.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20121209/ARTICLE/121209625/2416/NEWS&tc=email_newsletter

Here's another small paragraph from the same article that kind of sums up the way I feel about Smith/Hickock being the perps in this case.

"Several academicians who have studied the “In Cold Blood” phenomenon express serious reservations over a Smith/Hickock connection to the Walker tragedy — not because they doubt the pair's capacity for violence, but because of how the Walker massacre was conducted."

For those interested:

In the Sarasota HT today found a link to a lot of articles on the case, including old newspapers, graphics/interactives of the crime scene and investigation, about Capote, etc. The interactive on Smith's and Hickock's travels after the Clutter murders was very interesting...I had no idea they had traveled that much around Florida especially. They were definitely in the area when the Walkers were killed.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20051219/NEWS/512190421?p=1&tc=pg

Also checked out the twitter conversation with Shannon McFarland:

https://twitter.com/shanmcf

She provided most of the links shown above, and also one that has a lot of the LE documents:

https://www.documentcloud.org/public/#search/projectid:7179-walker-murders

Anybody know if there is a list of who has already been DNA tested? Ozie Youmans died in 1983, curious if DNA was ever obtained?

Anybody know if there is a list of who has already been DNA tested? Ozie Youmans died in 1983, curious if DNA was ever obtained?

I think there was a list printed in the Herald-Tribune article from December 2005, which I re-posted the link to above in post #134, of whom they were going to get DNA from. IIRC, they did a follow-up article in April 2006 that said who was cleared. The article that I posted the link to below is from April 2006, but mentions that they cleared only Elbert Walker and Don McLeod.

I think most all of the DNA samples were taken around that time in 2006. So Ozie Youmans wasn't alive then to give DNA. I agree he is a very strong suspect. They should exhume him and get his DNA now.

http://www.dnalabsinternational.com/...l16_ref16.html

I guess they should check it out but I'd be surprised if the two cases were related. Clutter was a robbery gone wrong but I don't really see that in the Walker case which seems more sexually motivated. Of course, no one says that killers have to follow a punch card.
Im with Standreid on this,I seriously doubt the Clutter killers were the perps involved in the Walker case.
While it is a truly Weird coincidence they were in the area,Smith and Hickock traveled ALOT and covered quite bit of ground in between the Nov 14 Murder of The Clutters and their Jan arrest in Vegas.
Basicly they were all over the place.
Besides I agree the Walker attack,the Rape of Mr.s Walker and the theft of her personal items like her High School Majorette uniform indicate someone with a sick fixation on her.
Perry Smith nearly came to blows with Hickock to keep Nancy Clutter from being raped in Holcomb.
The Walker case has been being worked in the last couple of years and there were other DNA tests pending in connection with it...it sounds like theyve just about ran out of steam and leads to be dogging this red herring again

Reviewing all of the documentation available online makes me seriously question if one person acting alone could have killed the Walker's. What bothers me is that Cliff walked into the house, with his children, without any hesitation (of course I'm speculating based on the info I've read) and was evidently shot instantly (no sign of a fight between him and the killer(s) or that he was shielding the kids). I think if he had he any fear of "who" was inside (assuming there was a vehicle outside, which seems highly likely given the remote location of the house) he would have left the kids in the Jeep or at least outside. So my theory is that one of the killers greeted them outside...and because it was a known person there was no hesitation...the 3 Walker's went inside...and were shot by the other killer inside. My theory is subject to change...have been trying to run through all possible scenarios...thoughts and opinions welcomed.

Reviewing all of the documentation available online makes me seriously question if one person acting alone could have killed the Walker's. What bothers me is that Cliff walked into the house, with his children, without any hesitation (of course I'm speculating based on the info I've read) and was evidently shot instantly (no sign of a fight between him and the killer(s) or that he was shielding the kids). I think if he had he any fear of "who" was inside (assuming there was a vehicle outside, which seems highly likely given the remote location of the house) he would have left the kids in the Jeep or at least outside. So my theory is that one of the killers greeted them outside...and because it was a known person there was no hesitation...the 3 Walker's went inside...and were shot by the other killer inside. My theory is subject to change...have been trying to run through all possible scenarios...thoughts and opinions welcomed.

Forgot to add, I am not suggesting that Smith & Hickock are the guys in this scenario...but if you read close enough there were "two" of the Walker's acquaintances in the vicinity...have only seen that one had their DNA tested and cleared...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RMN0406
Back