GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #1 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW9aVxGfIDU

Aug 2 ( Good video, no ad ) ABC

"Murder mystery: Shooting of law professor Dan Markel outside suburban home baffles police"

Good link, dotr. It was easier to watch thanks in part to hunky "Marky Eyelash" Eiglarsch (sp?) who of course, brought up some excellent points.

19 minutes is a very long time for a response. How did the dispatcher/caller get it wrong?

Dan Markel stood for equality, appropriate procedure re prosecution and punishment. Here's a book he co-authored which I find very interesting...so interesting that I just may go buy this myself. I happen to know for a fact that sometimes - maybe not all of the time but definitely sometimes - the weight of one's family can help determine punishment and/or non-punishment, such as if a child or close friend of le does something illegal but goes uncharged bc of that privilege, or the same lineage but does get charged only to have a lighter sentence as compared to others of non le lineage (or sketchy family) having a greater sentence. So I'm curious enough to pay for this book and read it myself bc I also wonder if Dan came across something that bothered him and maybe wanted to make a change in...maybe hold certain persons accountable...or change unwritten laws of privilege.

http://global.oup.com/academic/prod...E18277184FF722CCE01C71DB997A2?cc=us&lang=en&#

Good link, dotr. It was easier to watch thanks in part to hunky "Marky Eyelash" Eiglarsch (sp?) who of course, brought up some excellent points.

19 minutes is a very long time for a response. How did the dispatcher/caller get it wrong?

Especially when caller specifically mentioned "shot"...

I know this is going to sound crazy but I didn't like something about that 911 call......it bothered me. I couldn't put my finger on it specifically so it begs me to wonder this-----have they checked out the older gentleman that made the 911 call completely?

Maybe I've read too much fiction????

I think someone who has never shot anyone before would assume any shot to the head would do the trick. I once had safety glass from a car window blown in on me and it made numerous tiny cuts on me. Perhaps there was a large amount of blood from the gunshot and even some more from the glass, and to an amateur, it appeared that no one could survive such a wound.

Keeping road-rage as motive, on back-burner...

http://www.wfsb.com/story/26171886/pastor-shot-in-head-in-road-rage-incident-on-i-95

"HOBE SOUND, FL (WFLX) - A 22-year-old pastor from West Palm Beach was shot in the head Thursday night in a road rage incident on Interstate 95 between Hobe Sound and Stuart.

According to the Martin County Sheriff's Office, a 23-year-old female passenger was in the car, and she called 911 after the shooting.

She told the dispatcher, "We're driving, and [inaudible] he cut us off." She added, "Then, we kept driving, and he drove by us, then he cut us off again, and then he shot at us."

The delayed response time was explained to have been a misunderstanding about call priority. The 911 operator did not hear "gunshot" or some lame excuse along those lines. He lived 14 hours; that mistake may have cost his life.

Do y'all know how close Markel lived to the hospital? A little less than a mile to the ambulance entrance.

I just had to remove a number of posts.

We do not sleuth family members, ex's, relationships, friends who are not named by LE as suspects in this case.

Can I make this post any bigger? DO NOT MENTION THIS FAMILY. Do not speculate as to what they need to do, etc. They are off limits.

Can you imagine being the 911 caller waiting for 19 minutes while you watch your neighbor bleed out and not being sure if the shooter is going to come back and finish you all off? Horrible.

The delayed response time was explained to have been a misunderstanding about call priority. The 911 operator did not hear "gunshot" or some lame excuse along those lines. He lived 14 hours; that mistake may have cost his life.

Do y'all know how close Markel lived to the hospital? A little less than a mile to the ambulance entrance.

I can't even follow the operator's logic. If she thought the victim was down from something else (heart attack, stroke?) how would waiting 19 minutes for an ambulance help him? Either way, if a person is down, I would think ambulance should be send ASAP.

Shootings have to be cleared by LE first before they can let EMT's get to the victim. Because it was misunderstood by the operator I guess no cruiser was dispatched immediately. Just not sure why the ambulance was not sent if the operator just felt it was a person who was down and not a shooting. jmo

Keeping road-rage as motive, on back-burner...

http://www.wfsb.com/story/26171886/pastor-shot-in-head-in-road-rage-incident-on-i-95

"HOBE SOUND, FL (WFLX) - A 22-year-old pastor from West Palm Beach was shot in the head Thursday night in a road rage incident on Interstate 95 between Hobe Sound and Stuart.

According to the Martin County Sheriff's Office, a 23-year-old female passenger was in the car, and she called 911 after the shooting.

She told the dispatcher, "We're driving, and [inaudible] he cut us off." She added, "Then, we kept driving, and he drove by us, then he cut us off again, and then he shot at us."
In a road rage killing, like this one you posted, the driver normally shoots while the vehicles are still moving. It would be very odd for an enraged driver to follow someone home and then get out of his/her car to shoot someone. The enraged driver might follow another driver home and then fire a shot at the other driver from his/her car; but I can't see someone getting out of the car, approaching the other driver and then firing at close range. Firing at close range or stabbing someone - an attack that involves close contact with the victim - suggests that it is very personal and the killer is well known to the victim. MOO

The 19 minute wait for EMT is despicable! If I call 911 for help, personally they will have me to take too as I will be crazy upset having to wait that long! Oc course, around here, they stay on the phone with you until EMT arrives.

It looks like they are backtracking on reasons it took so long.

Please heed LambChop's warnings or TOs will be issued. Do not sleuth family or unnamed individuals.

Salem

I hope LE has seriously looked into the past of the neighbors......just sayin'.....

moo

Every time one of these kind of crimes pop up--the kind where it looks like the perpetrator was waiting for the victim--I'm always left wondering: How long was the shooter/attacker/rapist going to wait? An hour? Two hours? Six hours?

Why do I do that? Because waiting around isn't good for someone who's hoping to commit a crime without getting caught.

In Dan's case, my impression is the only thing that was a constant in his morning itinerary was dropping off his kids. Yes, he made other stops that morning but those were subjective. Meaning, maybe he stopped at those other places some mornings and not others OR he stopped at them but the time varied as to how long he spent at any one stop.

So, there's really no way the shooter could've known the exact time Dan would get back that morning. Yes, he could know Dan would return eventually that morning but not at 11am. Maybe 10:50am. Maybe 11:10am. And sure, ten minutes doesn't seem like much time to you or me. But to someone who is looking to pull a trigger, those seconds go by like hours I have to believe.

Even if the hitman was hired by someone who knew Dan's itinerary, the employer would never be able to give the hitman an exact time that Dan would get home. Only an approximation. In fact it's easier to predict when a person's going to leave their house in the morning to go to work than when they'll return home.

In this case, though, the hitman chose to commit his act when Dan returned home.

So, once again, how long was he going to wait? Remember, his getaway car--the Prius--is on that street somewhere. It's daylight. It's a populated street. And we're left with the impression the shooter walked right up the driveway and shot Dan. Didn't even try to creep from around the corner of Dan's house . . .

I think no matter how you cut it this shooter probably spent some considerable time on that street waiting for Dan before Dan came home because there's no way to the minute he could've predicted when Dave would come home. And since the shooter was already there when Dan got home I don't think the shooter was following him.

Not sure what this all means but it at least opens me to the possibility that the shooter might've tried to murder Dan before but Dan's schedule possibly got in the way, i.e. The shooter might've waited for Dan on another day but Dan's schedule just didn't take him home quickly enough for the shooter's time schedule.

I guess what I'm saying is there's no way this killer was gonna wait all day for Dan to come home. So he at least had a general idea of Dan's schedule. This would imply the shooter following Dan around (for quite a while) in the weeks before OR the shooter being hired by someone who already knew Dan's schedule approximately enough to give the shooter a general idea of when to show up at Dan's house.

Still, hanging outside a house with a motive to kill is a risky proposition. This killer must've wanted to do this VERY badly.

Excellent post fasteddy.

We don't know if the shooter was waiting at the house or following Dan, but he certainly knew his basic routine. This tends to reduce the chance that this was a "mistake" where the shooter got the wrong address. I would be interesting to find out if any neighbors or owners of houses that might be confused with Dan's routinely arrived home at that time.

There are indication that the shooter was not the "professional" we would expect a "hit man" to be but realistically, most people who "kill for money" are hardly the skilled professional we read about in Crime Fiction or the Mafia/Murder Inc type. Most are ordinary criminals out to make a buck. They are certainly capable of mistakes.

Generally, in very high profile crimes where a vehicle near the crime scene is identified and publicized, the owner will come forward if they are uninvolved. The fact that the owner hasn't come forward makes me think it is involved. If LE want's to spend the resources, every Prius in the Tallahassee area can be checked.

Every time one of these kind of crimes pop up--the kind where it looks like the perpetrator was waiting for the victim--I'm always left wondering: How long was the shooter/attacker/rapist going to wait? An hour? Two hours? Six hours?

Why do I do that? Because waiting around isn't good for someone who's hoping to commit a crime without getting caught.

In Dan's case, my impression is the only thing that was a constant in his morning itinerary was dropping off his kids. Yes, he made other stops that morning but those were subjective. Meaning, maybe he stopped at those other places some mornings and not others OR he stopped at them but the time varied as to how long he spent at any one stop.

So, there's really no way the shooter could've known the exact time Dan would get back that morning. Yes, he could know Dan would return eventually that morning but not at 11am. Maybe 10:50am. Maybe 11:10am. And sure, ten minutes doesn't seem like much time to you or me. But to someone who is looking to pull a trigger, those seconds go by like hours I have to believe.

Even if the hitman was hired by someone who knew Dan's itinerary, the employer would never be able to give the hitman an exact time that Dan would get home. Only an approximation. In fact it's easier to predict when a person's going to leave their house in the morning to go to work than when they'll return home.

In this case, though, the hitman chose to commit his act when Dan returned home.

So, once again, how long was he going to wait? Remember, his getaway car--the Prius--is on that street somewhere. It's daylight. It's a populated street. And we're left with the impression the shooter walked right up the driveway and shot Dan. Didn't even try to creep from around the corner of Dan's house . . .

I think no matter how you cut it this shooter probably spent some considerable time on that street waiting for Dan before Dan came home because there's no way to the minute he could've predicted when Dave would come home. And since the shooter was already there when Dan got home I don't think the shooter was following him.

Not sure what this all means but it at least opens me to the possibility that the shooter might've tried to murder Dan before but Dan's schedule possibly got in the way, i.e. The shooter might've waited for Dan on another day but Dan's schedule just didn't take him home quickly enough for the shooter's time schedule.

I guess what I'm saying is there's no way this killer was gonna wait all day for Dan to come home. So he at least had a general idea of Dan's schedule. This would imply the shooter following Dan around (for quite a while) in the weeks before OR the shooter being hired by someone who already knew Dan's schedule approximately enough to give the shooter a general idea of when to show up at Dan's house.

Still, hanging outside a house with a motive to kill is a risky proposition. This killer must've wanted to do this VERY badly.

BBM: That's why I was questioning the neighbors or even the 911 caller upthread. It really is a huge risk to be waiting around someone's house in broad daylight to shoot them. In a very nice, residential area. A neighbor walking around wouldn't seem out of place and a neighbor would be inclined to have a general idea of the comings and goings of our victim.

For a killer, it would seem more prudent to at least attempt the crime at night. And odd that only one gun shot was fired and the victim was still alive for hours. Very risky.
Very odd indeed.

And we're not really sure if the Prius was involved in the scheme of things for sure.
It could be the vehicle of an unwilling and shocked accomplice of the murderer???

BBM: That's why I was questioning the neighbors or even the 911 caller upthread. It really is a huge risk to be waiting around someone's house in broad daylight to shoot them. In a very nice, residential area. A neighbor walking around wouldn't seem out of place and a neighbor would be inclined to have a general idea of the comings and goings of our victim.

For a killer, it would seem more prudent to at least attempt the crime at night. And odd that only one gun shot was fired and the victim was still alive for hours. Very risky.
Very odd indeed.

And we're not really sure if the Prius was involved in the scheme of things for sure.
It could be the vehicle of an unwilling and shocked accomplice of the murderer???
Which is why I think "the murderer" was totally unhinged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member