GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #1 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So does the ex wife and killer live in the same town which is miles away from Dan?

And are police looking for more suspects?

Yes I noticed that. Also noticed her book on human trafficking that they are forcing all freshmen to read is a novel. I find that weird.

Many universities are participating in the One Book, One Campus initiative. I'm not sure where it started but it seems to be an outgrowth of One Book, One City promoted by many public libraries. The campus books are usually chosen to draw attention to social issues and/or support critical thinking. The library books, at least the one my library promotes, seem to be ... not as challenging. ;)

So does the ex wife and killer live in the same town which is miles away from Dan?

And are police looking for more suspects?

They live(d) in the same area, but Miami-Dade has a population of 2.6 million vs Tallahassee's 186,000. Tallahassee is ~480 miles from Miami.

I know you're right, but, as a divorced mother myself, I'm always surprised by people who try to keep the kids from the other parent for no GOOD reason :(.

That's because you're level-headed! lol I totally agree with you, though.

It is so sad when the children are placed in the middle as pawns, purely so one parent can hurt the other. I have sadly been on the receiving end of that many times after my divorce, and it is horrible.

That's because you're level-headed! lol I totally agree with you, though.

It is so sad when the children are placed in the middle as pawns, purely so one parent can hurt the other. I have sadly been on the receiving end of that many times after my divorce, and it is horrible.
Oh I have too! Just not with custody.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have been reading up on the "get extortion" case. It is very interesting but I don't see any motive to murders Dan in the whole situation.

In order for an Orthodox Jewish woman to get a religious divorce, her husband must go along with it by granting her a "get"; essentially permission to divorce. A man would not require the equivalent. This would have nothing to do do with the civil divorce that the couple would still need. From what I can see, the principle reason for withholding the get is leverage over the money and custody settlement of the civil divorce. If the wife does not get a get, her civil outdoor still be legal but any subsequent remarriage would not be recognized and any child born from such a union would be tainted for life and pretty much shined by the orthodox community. For that reason, some women are desperate to obtain a get and the case of Rabbi Mendel Epstein is not first time physical violence has been used to convince a man to grant a get.

Apparently there had been complaints Epstein and his crew had used violence or the threat of violence to obtain gets. The Justice dept set up a sting where an agent posed as an orthodox woman needing a get. Epstein was recorded promising her that he would get he husband in his van and put a cattle prod to certain parts of his body and he could be expected grant the get. Epstein and several men were arrested. They were represented by Robert Stahl who is a pretty big hire collar criminal defense lawyer from New Jersey. In the course of the preparation of the defense, Stahl hired Dan as a consultant. Dan only got involved after the arrest, he was not an attorney of record on the case and he was dead before the trial began. I have no idea what role Dan played but it is unlikely that his death would have had much impact on the outcome.

Supporters of the Rabbi who bare no malice towards Dan because he was on their team. There seems no motive on the part of then victimized men since Dan had nothing to do with the extortions. It is doubtful he. Had ever heard of Epstein before. His arrest. If you are going to hire a hit man to kill someone who did you wrong, I would expect the target to be a major player in the offense, not some peripheral player like a legal consultant. I really doubt the murder had anything to do with this case.

I wonder if the ex cried on someones shoulder and that person hired Garcia. With or without her knowledge.

Ok. No robbery. Ok. Garcia and Dan were not lovers. Ok. Garcia traveled far to kill Dan. Ok. Dan wasn't using or selling or buying drugs fom García. Ok. Road rage. Maybe but very low on the list. Ok. A hired hit definitely seems more plausible.

I can't wait for the Florida doc dump on this case. Jmo.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/05/26/man-arrrested-dan-markel-case/84955148/

Garcia is from Miami Beach, as is Dan's ex wife. LE expects more arrests, and in another article, which I cannot locate now, they mentioned five or six. I hope this happens soon...

IMHO
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_...urder-for-hire-5-6-more-arrests-expected.html
Dan Markel Killing Investigated As Murder for Hire, 5-6 More Arrests Expected

Law enforcement officials are investigating Florida State University law professor Dan Markel’s death as a murder for hire, according to two sources close to the investigation.

The sources add that more arrests are expected.

Another source said there could be as many as five or six additional arrests

Does it seem strange to anyone that law enforcement would tip its hand that 5-6 more arrests are forthcoming? It seems they would not want to telegraph that as the 5-6 people might flee, unless they are watching all of them and are observing how they behave in the wake of the arrest....

Snippets..

http://www.scoopnest.com/user/TDOnline/736535888755228672

Sigfredo Garcia practically laughed at Miami cops as they tried to pummel him into submission during his arrest on robbery charges in 2012.

“You guys aren’t hurting me,” he said, taunting an officer who was punching him in the back. “This is not my first rodeo.”

Miami-Dade and Miami Beach police descended on Garcia’s girlfriend’s apartment on Oct. 9, 2012, after an elderly man identified him in a photo lineup as one of two people who robbed him a few days earlier.

His girlfriend refused to open the door at first, according to a Miami Beach police report. When she finally did, Garcia immediately stepped outside and clenched his fist.

“I’m not going to jail for some s--- I didn’t do,” he said. “I’m not going to jail.”

Police ordered him to the ground. They told him to put his hands behind his back, but he refused.

He started kicking his feet in the air to try to get back off the ground or strike officers, the report says.

His arrest in 2012 came after he and another man, Frank Montijo, 47, approached a 67-year-old man who was fishing and put him in a choke hold, according to the police report.

They ripped open his pants pockets, stealing cash and other property, before throwing him to the ground. The victim suffered only minor injuries and refused medical treatment at the scene.
Garcia posted bail and was released from jail a day after his arrest. He was sentenced on Oct. 22, 2014 — about three months after Markel’s murder — to one day in jail, with credit for time served

Karl Etters and Safid Deen contributed to this report.
rbbm.

Does it seem strange to anyone that law enforcement would tip its hand that 5-6 more arrests are forthcoming? It seems they would not want to telegraph that as the 5-6 people might flee, unless they are watching all of them and are observing how they behave in the wake of the arrest....

I was thinking this as well, in addition to trying to imagine why that many people would be involved. I'm surprised that no more arrests have been made yet. Maybe LE thought Garcia would sing more than he is/has?

If Garcia would rob an older guy fishing, for change in his pocket, it is hard to imagine him as a hired "hit man" , or as one who would do anybody any favours, unless perhaps, it was for g.friends or family.
Dan was fairly new to the neighbourhood, did he hire movers, painters, renovators and cleaning people ect, and did he have disputes with any of them.?
How was DM's car running, was it left at a gas station for any reason?
imo, speculation.

Garcia seems like a loose cannon, and told LE it wasn't his first rodeo. Probably thought he could outsmart LE and get away with it. Still, would love to know how they finally caught him!

We need justice for Dan.

IMHO

There are two basic ways to solve a murder for hire: find the killer and then link him to someone with a motive or, check folks with a motive for any unusual contacts with a criminal type in the days before or after the murder.

These cases are hard to prosecute unless they have a rock solid case against one party and that party can be turned. In cases where there are many people involved, someone with a peripheral role might be easily turned.

Two key sources of information will be cell phone records and financial records particularly records of cash withdrawals. Anyone who had any kind of "motive" can assume that anyone they had cell phone contact with before or after an "unusual" financial transaction, will be looked at closely.

I was thinking this as well, in addition to trying to imagine why that many people would be involved. I'm surprised that no more arrests have been made yet. Maybe LE thought Garcia would sing more than he is/has?

I'd like to think [hope] that LE wouldn't take down someone & charge him with capital murder based on the assumption they could convince him to turn states evidence, thus risk blowing the entire case. ‎

The suspect is well known to LE, I'm sure they're very familiar with his psychological profile. He seems to be very 'connected' (aka system savvy.) Most charges haven't resulted in a conviction, and successful convictions were followed by sentences disproportionately lenient to the crime. I imagine he had a more than just a public defender for his 2012 [strong armed robbery & resisting a police officer with violence] conviction. He was sentenced to one day in jail and given credit for 'time served' which, according to reports, consisted of approximately one day in jail before bail was posted. The armed robbery was in 2012, he wasn't *sentenced* until 2014, approximately three months after DM's murder. The sentence was in stark contrast to that of his parter in crime, he was given 8 years in federal prison. *I'd like to know who Garcia had for legal counsel during that time.. ‎
‎
The direction this case is headed is obvious, as is the fact this isn't your everyday 'dumb crook' crime, but that doesn't mean the suspect himself isn't a dumb crook. LE isn't interested in the suspect, they want those responsible for executing an innocent man via a hired hit. IMHO, those individuals are probably, at a minimum, affiliated with highly educated *elites,* some in the field of criminal law. The problem with elites is they can be educated beyond their intelligence AND clear out of common sense. Their arrogant belief that they're smarter than everyone else usually leads to their eventual demise. FWIW, I don't think for one second that orthodox rabbis were involved in any way with the murder of Dan Markel.
‎‎
If I understand correctly, the Crime Stoppers reward and the anonymous reward combined consists of $125,000. Authorities will not say if the reward has been claimed, which means it probably has, which means they have more than just a *spaghetti tossing* strategy to choose from in their arsenal of weaponry.

Eyewitnesses to the arrest said local LE, the DEA and FBI tore Garcia's car apart, noting the presence of luggage in the back seat. I believe the arrest was made because he was about to flee, he knew they were closing in and they simply couldn't wait any longer. I think LE has what they *need,* but you can never have too much when going up against a well connected gang of elites. They still have a long way to go. ‎
‎

On the day of his arrest, when the question of legal representation came up Garcia said that he had a lawyer but he couldn't remember his name. He said he had the business card of that attorneys in his wallet. When asked why didn't know the attorney's name, he said the he didn't know until the day before that he needed an attorney. I wonder if someone involved in contracting his services gave him the card with instructions to call that attorney if he was arrested.

Since this wasn't his first "rodeo" and he seems to make good use of representation when he he got in trouble before, you would expect him to be careful about the lawyer he chose and would certainly know his name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member