GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #1 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. I'm guessing the garage door must have been up for the neighbor to have perceived the shot as loud. So I wonder if the law prof was coming or going.

If he was on his way out, someone would have had to had known his approximate schedule.

If he was coming home, someone could have followed him - either someone targeting him specifically or a road rage thing. Road rage seems like a long shot, but an ex-neighbor of mine, age 71 (a doctor), just shot a 69-year-old ex-CEO who had followed him home in a road rage incident (on a road where the speed limit is 35). It seems crazy, but it does happen.

I read on one of the news links posted here, not sure which one, someone said he had been to the gym. It may have been in the comment section on the dailymail news link. Reading so much on this.

Maybe it was mail online I read it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could the killer have been in the car w him? Possibly They drove back with him from wherever and then once they got in garage they shot him, then ran to their waiting car? It may be hard to determine because there are lots of legit reasons someone's DNA or fingerprints would be in the car if that was the case, making it difficult to tease out when DNA or fingerprints were left. I wonder if garage door was open, that is why neighbor heard the shot?

Hopefully forensic and electronics email evidence will give LE a clearer pic of what went down.

LE came up with the picture of the Prius quickly. From having seen it at Starbucks and Whole Foods also, it doesn't fit my image of a contract killer. It seems a contract killer would not be frequenting shops in the neighborhood before the hit. This makes me think female - who was a good shot!

What man is going to drive a Prius? Just not a manly car unless they are a sales person or it is a company issued car or rental.

The driveway looks long. Thinking it would not be a shoot him, turn, run a few feet, jump in the car, and take off execution. The perp had a nice jaunt back to the car. At that time of day, neighbors could easily have been outside and seen them. Unfortunately, the camera did not capture a person.

Oh, just from looking at the court documents, if I am reading them correctly, the divorce was granted 7-31-2013, not even a year before his murder. And, it appears the property settlement had not been settled. With both of them lawyers, and each having a lawyer represent them, they would go for every stall, delay, or motion in the book!

My opinions only!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/07/25/4255588/the-shooting-death-of-a-well-known.html

"TALLAHASSEE -- Thirty-six hours before he was gunned down in his Tallahassee home, law professor Dan Markel was pondering the death penalty.

On that night, July 16, his thoughts drifted to the number of Death Row inmates whose sentences had been vacated in California. He posted an essay on the subject to his widely read legal blog before going to bed.

Around 11 a.m. July 18, Markel, 41, was shot in the head. He died the following day.

Investigators say Markel was targeted by his shooter. He was killed in his garage, according to a police report released Friday. Markel’s black Honda Accord was being processed by the forensics unit, the keys still inside."
bbm
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/07/25/4255588/the-shooting-death-of-a-well-known.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/07/25/4255588/the-shooting-death-of-a-well-known.html

"TALLAHASSEE -- Thirty-six hours before he was gunned down in his Tallahassee home, law professor Dan Markel was pondering the death penalty.

On that night, July 16, his thoughts drifted to the number of Death Row inmates whose sentences had been vacated in California. He posted an essay on the subject to his widely read legal blog before going to bed.

Around 11 a.m. July 18, Markel, 41, was shot in the head. He died the following day.

Investigators say Markel was targeted by his shooter. He was killed in his garage, according to a police report released Friday. Markel’s black Honda Accord was being processed by the forensics unit, the keys still inside."
bbm
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/07/25/4255588/the-shooting-death-of-a-well-known.html#storylink=cpy
Adelson hired professional movers while her husband was away for a short business trip, and that she left town with her belongings and the children.

“This abrupt and cruel departure shocked Mr. Markel, who, in a six-year marriage unmarked by any abuse, addiction or infidelity, was devoted to his wife and children,” his attorneys wrote. “For six weeks, Ms. Adelson gave no correct information regarding where she lived with the children.”

Several months later, Adelson asked a judge for permission to relocate with the kids to South Florida, where her family lived and she had been offered a job at a private law firm. Her request was denied.

WOW

There are a few things of interest here. In the court document regarding the history of their dissolution of marriage located on the 1st or 2nd page of this thread, it indicates that on 9-17-12 a certification of course completion of a 4 hour Florida parenting class program by Wendi Jill Adelson.

The Prius is not an inexpensive car. Those who drive them love the gas milage and the use of regular gasoline but mainly because of the lack of
carbon emissions in traffic and stop and starts. Usually those who are concerned about energy usage and climate change will drive them. They are a great car.

It's also interesting that the professor's car keys were in the ignition of his car. It sounds as though he had just returned from being out. Someone or something caught his attention, he got out of his car w/out removng his keys. The fact he was shot at a point blank range indicates he knew this person.

And manly men do drive a Prius.

These are strictly my observations and are probably way off the mark.

Adelson hired professional movers while her husband was away for a short business trip, and that she left town with her belongings and the children.

“This abrupt and cruel departure shocked Mr. Markel, who, in a six-year marriage unmarked by any abuse, addiction or infidelity, was devoted to his wife and children,” his attorneys wrote. “For six weeks, Ms. Adelson gave no correct information regarding where she lived with the children.”

Several months later, Adelson asked a judge for permission to relocate with the kids to South Florida, where her family lived and she had been offered a job at a private law firm. Her request was denied.

WOW

From the article, this bit was also interesting, imo.
bbm.

“He was very eager to engage other academics in dialogue,” said Berman, the Ohio State professor. “He believed the more you got resistance to your idea, the more refined and sophisticated the idea would become.”

But Markel also had critics, including some conservative bloggers and law-school skeptics who complained PrawfsBlawg failed to challenge the legal establishment.

In 2012, Markel was the subject of an anonymous comment on the blog Inside the Law School Scam.

“Bullies like this need to be made radioactive,” the writer said, alleging Markel had deleted anonymous comments on PrawfsBlawg. “Their arrogance and imperiousness speaks for itself. All means necessary must be employed.”

A Florida State spokeswoman declined to say whether Markel had reported the incident to the university or had raised concerns about his safety."

From the article, this bit was also interesting, imo.
bbm.

“He was very eager to engage other academics in dialogue,” said Berman, the Ohio State professor. “He believed the more you got resistance to your idea, the more refined and sophisticated the idea would become.”

But Markel also had critics, including some conservative bloggers and law-school skeptics who complained PrawfsBlawg failed to challenge the legal establishment.

In 2012, Markel was the subject of an anonymous comment on the blog Inside the Law School Scam.

“Bullies like this need to be made radioactive,” the writer said, alleging Markel had deleted anonymous comments on PrawfsBlawg. “Their arrogance and imperiousness speaks for itself. All means necessary must be employed.”

A Florida State spokeswoman declined to say whether Markel had reported the incident to the university or had raised concerns about his safety."

I don't think those comments on the blogs mean much. I read those blogs and sure people sometimes complain (as they do on any blog, even here) when moderators delete comments. I never heard of any blog moderator being killed over it! People might write something cocky but it would like silly IMO to report to your employer about some comment on a private blog. The Prawflaw blog is completely separate from FSU so I don't see why a moderator there would complain to their university if someone wrote a nasty comment. Would a mod here report a nasty comment to their employer? The university could not do anything as far as activity on a private blog.

Also people write from all over the country on those blogs. What person would fly to Florida to kill the blog moderator because they delete their comments or were annoyed by the moderator? It just does not happen.

I imagine no one in the inner circle has a Prius. I guess they can comb rentals but it seems like they are at a loss right now. They should increase the reward. Try to get more leads. One would think if the Prius were NOT involved that someone in neighborhood would come forth by now and say, hey it was my babysitter or my visiting sister who that could have been. The fact that it seems like no one came forward yet that we know of with an innocent explanation lends credence to theory it was killer. Wonder if they can get a license plate number? Is there a toll road near there like FL turnpike where maybe the license could have been captured?

Is there a door that opens from the garage into the house? Could the killer already have been inside the house when DM drove into his garage? Who else has a key to Markel's house?

Just in case, hope M's ex has extra security until the killer is found.

http://www.wptv.com/news/state/dani...se-more-details-in-fsu-law-professors-slaying

"Police have been in contact with Markel's former wife, Wendi Adelson, also an FSU law professor, said her attorney, Jimmy Judkins.

She is "scared to death" that the killer may be targeting her entire family, said A. G., a close family friend, who has known the couple for several years."

ibm.

LE came up with the picture of the Prius quickly. From having seen it at Starbucks and Whole Foods also, it doesn't fit my image of a contract killer. It seems a contract killer would not be frequenting shops in the neighborhood before the hit. This makes me think female - who was a good shot!

What man is going to drive a Prius? Just not a manly car unless they are a sales person or it is a company issued car or rental.

The driveway looks long. Thinking it would not be a shoot him, turn, run a few feet, jump in the car, and take off execution. The perp had a nice jaunt back to the car. At that time of day, neighbors could easily have been outside and seen them. Unfortunately, the camera did not capture a person.

Oh, just from looking at the court documents, if I am reading them correctly, the divorce was granted 7-31-2013, not even a year before his murder. And, it appears the property settlement had not been settled. With both of them lawyers, and each having a lawyer represent them, they would go for every stall, delay, or motion in the book!

My opinions only!
Plenty of men drive Priuses. Just like plenty of women drive badass tricked-out Jeeps. [emoji41][emoji111]

bbm/sbm

What man? My neighbor, the retired marine. Two tours in Iraq prior to retirement. Just saying, as you can't tell a book by its cover, so you can't tell a person by their car.

I wonder if his religion was somehow related to this. I'm thinking of one of the only other broad-daylight killings I know of where the people involved were wonderful, well-liked, respected people (the father was an attorney): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lewis_Rice

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...dan_markel_suggests_he_knew_his_attacker.html

"His car doors were unlocked and his keys were still in the ignition. There were no signs of forced entry, which could mean Markel knew his killer.

Police Chief Michael DeLeo confirmed that this was a premeditated murder.

“We believe he was the targeted victim, which means that we don’t believe that it was random,” Tallahassee police spokesperson David Northway told the Star.

“There should be no concerns for the community, but anytime something like this happens we would think that everybody would be concerned that this is going on.”

Abc news reports on its website that he was on his cell phone when he came into the driveway and remarked to the person he was talking to that someone is in the driveway. Seems more and more like a hit? Because I assume if he knew the person he would say "oh so and so is waiting in my driveway."

Last night, a friend of a friend was at her local grocery store and a woman in front of her at the checkout started yelling at her for some perceived slight. It was so bad that my friend's friend looked around for her outside before getting into her car. She got home, pulled into the driveway, got out, and the woman was behind her on the street!

If this wasn't a hit, I do think that a road rage or other similar type of incident is possible.

"Published Monday, July 28, 2014 12:52PM EDT

Police in Florida are seeking the public's help as they continue to investigate the shooting death of Canadian law professor Daniel Markel.

Markel, 41, was shot in the head in his Florida home on the morning of July 18. Police have released few details about his killing but say it is clear he was directly targeted.

On Monday, the Tallahassee Police Department released a statement asking for anyone who may have seen Markel on the day of his death, or the day before. They say he may have been in the area of the Florida State University law school, where he taught; near a local interstate highway, "possibly near commercial/retail establishments"; or near a local synagogue called the Congregation Shomrei Torah Home.
Markel would have been driving a 2008 black Honda Accord with a Florida licence plate, they say".

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/police...nto-dan-markel-murder-1.1935534#ixzz38molm9Tu

bbm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member