GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #1 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of sad, Dan is already in Wikki..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Markel

He was in wiki I noticed within hours of this tragedy so I think he may have actually been in wiki for his own merits, not just for his murder. I think he had a write up before this happened, that is how well known he in in legal community.

The Wiki on Dan originated May 27, 2007. Here's the history:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dan_Markel&action=history

Wonder if Mr Markel spoke before arriving at the hospital..
bbm

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...way-shot-head-garage-report-article-1.1883413

“The driver side window is bashed open and the driver is bleeding and unable to tell the caller what is going on,” dispatch notes of the 911 call, made around 11 a.m. on July 18, read.

The car was unlocked and the keys were inside, a police report details. Markel never spoke after being admitted to the hospital, the report says."

Would the assailant likely to have been splattered with blood or glass, or might he/she be wearing protective gear of some sort?
This is cold, a really cold murder imo, to be able to just look a gentle man in the face and shoot him in the head, takes a very hard heart imo.

I don't think this was a contract killing. A contractor would have been a better shot and would have (a good one anyway) waited when the shooting would not be in clear view. Hard to imagine a contract killer would shoot the victim while he was on the phone. It doesn't seem to be well planned out.

The person in the driveway may have been a student. Maybe one he'd had in a lecture class so wasn't recognizable by name or sight but recognizable as a student. It doesn't appear he was frightened. But then, who pulls into their driveway expecting to be shot. The person on the other end should be able to shed considerable light.

Abc news reports on its website that he was on his cell phone when he came into the driveway and remarked to the person he was talking to that someone is in the driveway. Seems more and more like a hit? Because I assume if he knew the person he would say "oh so and so is waiting in my driveway."

GMA video says he was shot through the window of his car while he was talking on his phone:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fsu-professor-talking-cell-phone-shooting-happened/story?id=24737462

From Dotr's link:
A Florida State University criminal law professor was pulling into his driveway and talking on his cell phone when he was fatally shot, ABC News has learned exclusively…. The killer was waiting for Markel outside his home in Tallahassee’s Betton Hills section, a source told ABC News, and followed Markel into the garage, shooting him in the side of the head through the window of his car. The bullet entered just beneath Markel’s jawline.

http://abovethelaw.com/2014/07/upda...ion-into-the-killing-of-professor-dan-markel/

So he was talking on the phone when shot, he may have described the killer and the car before dying.

http://www.wtxl.com/news/tallahasse...cle_707629c2-1424-11e4-8990-0017a43b2370.html
bbm
"According to the report, a neighbor heard a loud bang and called 911. The witness also told police that he had seen a sliver or white car leaving the area the report sated that he "further described the car as being small, clean, and possibly a newer model. The complainant continued that believed the car was a Prius, or a Prius "type" of vehicle."

Tallahassee police released a picture of a car matching what the witness described calling it a vehicle of interest.

The report also states that the victim's garage was the primary crime scene."

Lengthy article, lots of pics.
bbm.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

"The Harvard educated professor mysteriously shot dead inside his own home was found in the garage with his car keys still in the car after being ambushed there, according to a Tallahassee Police Department report released on Friday.

The heavily redacted report only adds to the mystery surrounding the death of Florida State University Professor Dan Markel, 41, who was found inside his locked home on Friday 18 July having been shot point-blank in the head.

And police sources who have spoken to MailOnline today have indicated that they believe Markel did not necessarily know his killer, rather he was 'specifically targeted' for this murder - raising the possibility that the Cambridge educated law expert was the subject of a contract killing".

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...dan_markel_suggests_he_knew_his_attacker.html

"His car doors were unlocked and his keys were still in the ignition. There were no signs of forced entry, which could mean Markel knew his killer.

Police Chief Michael DeLeo confirmed that this was a premeditated murder.

“We believe he was the targeted victim, which means that we don’t believe that it was random,” Tallahassee police spokesperson David Northway told the Star.

“There should be no concerns for the community, but anytime something like this happens we would think that everybody would be concerned that this is going on.”

"Published Monday, July 28, 2014 12:52PM EDT

Police in Florida are seeking the public's help as they continue to investigate the shooting death of Canadian law professor Daniel Markel.

Markel, 41, was shot in the head in his Florida home on the morning of July 18. Police have released few details about his killing but say it is clear he was directly targeted.

On Monday, the Tallahassee Police Department released a statement asking for anyone who may have seen Markel on the day of his death, or the day before. They say he may have been in the area of the Florida State University law school, where he taught; near a local interstate highway, "possibly near commercial/retail establishments"; or near a local synagogue called the Congregation Shomrei Torah Home.
Markel would have been driving a 2008 black Honda Accord with a Florida licence plate, they say".

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/police...nto-dan-markel-murder-1.1935534#ixzz38molm9Tu

bbm.

Yes -- I don't know to what extent he saw the person who was in his driveway or just the car before he was shot, but I think it makes it very unlikely it's someone he knew well enough to recognize the car of at least (unless, I suppose, it turns out the car was borrowed or a rental). In general, I think it would be weird to say "someone" was in your driveway if it was someone you were close to, e.g., <modsnip>; given who I understand that he was on the phone with (not in MSM, so consider this impression a rumor only), I think it would be weird if he hadn't identified the person if it was a colleague/close friend/family member (at least by saying "oh, a colleague is here..." or similar).

BBM I think this may answer your question, Yellow:

more at....

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/07/florida_state_law_professor_wa.html

If the other person on the line was not the neighbor and didn't call 911, he probably ended the call after noticing someone in the driveway. If a person I didn't know was standing in my driveway, I'd probably confront them before opening the garage. If the window was up when he was shot, did he not even confront this person? Pulling into the garage gives this stranger access to the locked house, but maybe he thought the remote garage door would close faster than it could. If he didn't think the guy was a threat, it makes more sense. I just can't imagine taking the risk that the garage door would shut without this threatening person sliding under.

I do wonder if the neighbor saw more than LE is sharing with the public. If this person was just waiting in the driveway, I bet the Prius was parked on the road. It seems like a sloppy contract killing but maybe its not. The hit man could have been dressed as a UPS guy standing in the driveway with a package, which wouldn't be immediately threatening, or out of place.

ETA: If the neighbor discovered him in the garage, the garage door was open. So, the hit man probably appeared to be nonthreatening. Mail carrier, landscaper...someone who wouldn't seem out of place in the driveway.

Hmmm...makes more sense now. I was sort of discounting hitman as perp based on the neighbor saying he heard a loud bang or noise. I thought what kind of hitman drives a Prius, which is known to be a quiet car, yet doesn't use a silencer on their gun when shooting somebody dead. Now I realize a silencer really could have been used & maybe the loud bang that the neighbor heard was the gunshot through the car window to kill Dan. Maybe the Prius was the chosen vehicle bc they're abundant in Tallahassee, so maybe it was used so as to blend into the community.

I wonder who the person is that was on the phone. The reason I wonder this is because what kind of hitman would be in their intended victim's driveway - in broad daylight no less - and not care that their victim could have given a description of them before being shot? Unless that person could maybe have been on the phone as an alibi? This perp obviously didn't care if Dan described him/her or not. Or maybe that's too far reaching...

I don't think this was a contract killing. A contractor would have been a better shot and would have (a good one anyway) waited when the shooting would not be in clear view. Hard to imagine a contract killer would shoot the victim while he was on the phone. It doesn't seem to be well planned out.

The person in the driveway may have been a student. Maybe one he'd had in a lecture class so wasn't recognizable by name or sight but recognizable as a student. It doesn't appear he was frightened. But then, who pulls into their driveway expecting to be shot. The person on the other end should be able to shed considerable light.

Could it have been a student that didn't pass a final? I forget who it was but somebody on here that knew Dan, or knew of him at least, said that his final exam grades would have been in end of May til June... So if it were a student that shot him, why wait until the middle of July to do it?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...dan_markel_suggests_he_knew_his_attacker.html

"His car doors were unlocked and his keys were still in the ignition. There were no signs of forced entry, which could mean Markel knew his killer.

Police Chief Michael DeLeo confirmed that this was a premeditated murder.

&#8220;We believe he was the targeted victim, which means that we don&#8217;t believe that it was random,&#8221; Tallahassee police spokesperson David Northway told the Star.

&#8220;There should be no concerns for the community, but anytime something like this happens we would think that everybody would be concerned that this is going on.&#8221;

The choice of using "confirmed" with regards to premeditation is interesting considering there isn't a names suspect or description yet.

TPD investigating Dan Markel's murder:

http://www.talgov.com/tpd/news/4295.aspx

UPDATE: July 28, 2014

Investigators involved with the Dan Markel homicide investigation are asking for anyone who may have seen Mr. Markel in the following areas on Thursday, July 17th or Friday, July 18th, 2014 to please contact the Tallahassee Police Department at the numbers below:

The corridor of Interstate 10 (I-10) and Thomasville Road possibly near commercial/retail establishments
In the area of Tharpe Street and Mission Road
The surrounding area of the FSU Law School
In the area of the Congregation Shomrei Torah Home located at 4858 Kerry Forest Parkway
Mr. Markel would have been driving a 2008 black Honda accord with a Florida license plate of 534YBM.

If a community member has any information about this case or locations, please call the dedicated "Tip Line" at (850) 891-4462. You may also choose to report any information to CrimeStoppers at (850) 574-TIPS. All information is confidential and the reward for any information leading to an arrest in this case is $3000.00

Jersey Girl's post #106
Rbsbm.

"I wonder who the person is that was on the phone. The reason I wonder this is because what kind of hitman would be in their intended victim's driveway - in broad daylight no less - and not care that their victim could have given a description of them before being shot? Unless that person could maybe have been on the phone as an alibi? This perp obviously didn't care if Dan described him/her or not. Or maybe that's too far reaching..."

What if the person on the phone was the killer?! :eek:

Jersey Girl's post #106
Rbsbm.

"I wonder who the person is that was on the phone. The reason I wonder this is because what kind of hitman would be in their intended victim's driveway - in broad daylight no less - and not care that their victim could have given a description of them before being shot? Unless that person could maybe have been on the phone as an alibi? This perp obviously didn't care if Dan described him/her or not. Or maybe that's too far reaching..."

What if the person on the phone was the killer?! :eek:

Wow, didn't even think of that! But wouldn't the police be able to trace that call if the perp & caller were the same person?

Nvm, got my answer regarding the noise - neighbor heard a single gunshot. Now I wonder if the perp maybe wasn't waiting in the driveway when Dan got home but rather was maybe hidden a bit until Dan started pulling into his garage - then the perp surfaced into the driveway. Are there bushes by the driveway? Is there anywhere to hide at the front of the house where the perp could quick jet to the driveway the right into the garage without really being noticed?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fsu-professor-talking-cell-phone-shooting-happened/story?id=24737462

The killer was waiting for Markel outside his home in Tallahassee&#8217;s Betton Hills section, a source told ABC News, and followed Markel into the garage, shooting him in the side of the head through the window of his car.

Markel was alive when cops arrived, with the keys in the ignition of his car, before being pronounced dead at the hospital hours later, police said. Markel was apparently on the phone at the time of the shooting, remarking to the person on the phone that someone was in the driveway, ABC News has learned.

A police report has revealed more information about the shooting, specifying that a neighbor, apparently different from the person on the phone, heard a single gunshot. That neighbor called 911 and reported seeing a silver Toyota Prius drive away from the scene. Police later released a grainy surveillance image of that car.

Wow, didn't even think of that! But wouldn't the police be able to trace that call if the perp & caller were the same person?

If perp and caller were the same, and it was premeditated, stranger or otherwise, they would have used non-traceable, or stolen phones, imo
Now I wonder if DM had been driving and talking on the phone, because that could lead to problems , imo.

Are there bushes by the driveway? Is there anywhere to hide at the front of the house where the perp could quick jet to the driveway the right into the garage without really being noticed?

I don't know how old that pic of his house is in The Daily Mail, but it looks like someone could have hidden around the side of the house and then emerged after he pulled into the driveway. But the Prius must have been parked out front. The police response time was pretty quick, and the car was seen leaving the scene/area. He might have said that it looked like someone was there (seeing the car, but no person).

"Investigators involved with the Dan Markel homicide investigation are asking for anyone who may have seen Mr. Markel in the following areas on Thursday, July 17th or Friday, July 18th, 2014 to please contact the Tallahassee Police Department at the numbers below:

The corridor of Interstate 10 (I-10) and Thomasville Road possibly near commercial/retail establishments
In the area of the Congregation Shomrei Torah Home located at 4858 Kerry Forest Parkway
Mr. Markel would have been driving a 2008 black Honda accord with a Florida license plate of 534YBM.

If a community member has any information about this case or locations, please call the dedicated "Tip Line" at (850) 891-4462. You may also choose to report any information to CrimeStoppers at (850) 574-TIPS. All information is confidential and the reward for any information leading to an arrest in this case is $3000.00

Cameras are visible at least one of these locations. So, if they're looking for witnesses then maybe they have the Prius car on camera at the above locations?

ETA: I wonder if Dan was already parked with garage door open when he first saw someone walking up the driveway, maybe in the rear view mirror.

"Investigators involved with the Dan Markel homicide investigation are asking for anyone who may have seen Mr. Markel in the following areas on Thursday, July 17th or Friday, July 18th, 2014 to please contact the Tallahassee Police Department at the numbers below:

Cameras are visible at least one of these locations. So, if they're looking for witnesses then maybe they have the Prius car on camera at the above locations?

In the ABC video, TPD says that they know Dan would have been at those locations the day before or the day of his murder but they're looking for witnesses that may have seen him. I think the same as you may be implying - that they're trying to piece together where Prius Perp & Dan crossed paths...

It feels like a "hit" but then again I would think a "hit-man" might want to make sure he was dead. Maybe the killer could tell he was so badly wounded that he wouldn't make it, and didn't want to stick around for another shot. Hope they get the killer soon.

It feels like a "hit" but then again I would think a "hit-man" might want to make sure he was dead. Maybe the killer could tell he was so badly wounded that he wouldn't make it, and didn't want to stick around for another shot. Hope they get the killer soon.

Maybe it was someone who barely got up the resolve to shoot him and the noise and blood was such a shock they just ran as fast as they could... to their Prius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli