GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #1 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question... If a person goes through law school, passes the bar but can't land a job, would the military pay off their student debt if they enlisted & served?
From my recollection as an ex-wife of an AF JAG, I think a person has to be in the military first in order for the military to pay for law school (and that program is extremely competitive- only a tiny percentage qualify). They don't usually pay off law school debt after the fact.

I think they may pay doctor education debt due to a shortage of doctors in the military; however, the miltary has enough lawyers so they don't offer that same benefit to them, if I recall correctly.

Hope this helps.

I keep wondering why the police are looking for people who saw Dan around town before the murder. Some have suggested because they suspect this to be a road rage incident. But, that just doesn't feel right to me. It doesn't seem like they would find out where he lives, go there and lie in wait for him.
Maybe they want to know if someone had followed him to learn his habits, or if someone had seen the Prius anywhere near him an saw the driver. Perhaps he had a conversation with someone that led him to return home, and they think that person set him up. I just don't know.

Spot on, Jersey Girl when you state "that they're trying to piece together where Prius Perp & Dan crossed paths..."

This appeal to the public for sightings of Dan on Thursday the 17th or Friday the 18th suggests a couple of possibilities:
1. That the perp and Dan, theretofore unknown to each other, had some kind of unpleasant interaction on one of those dates or
2. That the perp was stalking Dan to seek info about his routine and residence for the premeditated hit

Enormously tragic.

I am back to road rage incident. I hope there are answers soon for this man's circle of family and friends.

ETA: except, Prius. A little odd that someone who chooses to drive a Prius might also carry a loaded weapon. Hate to "stereotype" like that though...

I would be on board with road rage incident were it not for his comment in the phone that there was someone at his house. If it was said after he was in the garage and he meant "someone has pulled into my driveway behind me," wouldn't he sound concerned if he had been involved in an incident and was followed home? If it was an incident that happened the day before and the perp managed to find him and stalk him, that goes beyond road rage - that is one cold blooded crazy armed person driving a Prius.

maybe he had been on the phone for a while, while driving even, and upset another driver unknowingly (since he was perhaps preoccupied with a phone call?) and said driver then followed him? Grasping at straws here, trying to think outside the box I'd normally go to in a case like this.

I think Dan was shot through the window, since the window was described as "bashed" and he was found still in the car. Pretty sure that the "bashed" description just comes from the panicked neighbor on the 911 call, who was probably not focusing on how the window got broken in those moments. I bet a bullet fired from very close range could easily completely shatter a window completely.

This article also states window bashed. I assumed it meant shot through window.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/florida-state-law-professor-was-killed-in-his-car/27197986

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spot on, Jersey Girl when you state "that they're trying to piece together where Prius Perp & Dan crossed paths..."

This appeal to the public for sightings of Dan on Thursday the 17th or Friday the 18th suggests a couple of possibilities:
1. That the perp and Dan, theretofore unknown to each other, had some kind of unpleasant interaction on one of those dates or
2. That the perp was stalking Dan to seek info about his routine and residence for the premeditated hit

Enormously tragic.

I'm leaning towards #2.

At the very least, evidence that the killer stalked his victim to gain info about his routine/residence would point away from the ex, and/or a contract killing, maybe. If LE comes up short and nothing points to the perp following/interacting with Dan...someone (close to the victim) must have provided these details. It appears as though the killer waited to strike until after the children were at day care too, which could be a coincidence. The children were with him on Thursday, so I wonder if that has anything to do with the public appeal for sightings on the 17th.

There are just so many possible angles here. I don't think it was a professional hit (I could be wrong, of course). I do believe it was done in a fit of rage, but not road rage.

1.) Angry student: I can imagine an angry student because someone with certain forms of M.I. don't think rationally. There was a student in a Nutrition class I took who was always arguing with the professor. The prof was as nice as could be, and I think the student tried to take advantage of the prof's good nature, but the prof was firm in his responses. Some of the other students would even upbraid the angry student. I was afraid that would make him angrier, and this was way before hearing about any of the mass school shootings. Nothing seemed to quell this student, and I got the sense he didn't do well at all in the class since he would argue with the prof on almost every single question when we went over an exam. Yes, it seems to me that there has been sufficient time for an angry student to simmer down following the end of the semester, but someone with a persecution complex/paranoia could have been plotting over the past few weeks, following Markel to learn his schedule.

2.) Markel's consulting work involving the Rabbis is a new angle, but remote possibility.

3.) What I am leaning toward is Markel's death being related to his divorce. Of course, those closest to Markel such as an ex-wife will be investigated thoroughly first. But, as someone already mentioned, it could be a relative of the wife who carried out the plot without her knowledge. I will have to look up the article, but IIRC one of the points of contention in the messy divorce were some family heirlooms. Was Markel still in possession of some valuable heirlooms that his in-laws felt rightfully belonged in their family? It does seem that the perp was familiar with Markel's schedule. Did he/she confront Dan somewhere earlier that day?

Posters have been saying that they don't believe two cars could fit in Markel's garage and so think that the Prius was parked on the street. I couldn't find a website that tells whether the garage at that address is a one-car or two-car, but homes.findthebest.com shows that the garage is 550 sq. ft. I searched the web for the standard size of a two-car garage, and it is 400 sq. ft. So, two cars could definitely fit in that garage. I've also noticed in the picture of the house that the drive broadens at the top of the drive in a turn-around. I'm wondering if the Prius was parked in that spot on the right side and maybe the driver hid behind the shrub on the right side of the house, or more likely in the recess to the left of the garage where there are more shrubs. Then the person could easy run out as soon as Dan pulled into the garage, and approach him on the driver's side. And then they could quickly reach their car and drive away. I think the person wanted to do the job and flee swiftly while avoiding attracting much attention, and thought one shot to the head at close range would certainly be sufficient.

http://homes.findthebest.com/l/78552264/2116-Trescott-Dr-Tallahassee-FL-32308

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7166797_average-size-two_car-garage.html

Here is the statement about a battle over family heirlooms:

After the bitter divorce, the couple continued to battle over money and family heirlooms.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/07/25/6583639/questions-remain-in-shooting-death.html#storylink=cpy

There have been hostile disputes over inheritance money and family heirlooms after a death in some families. I don't understand why there would be a dispute over family heirlooms in a divorce case since the heirlooms would come from one side of the family or the other, but I wonder if someone from the Adelson clan gave a family heirloom to the couple as a wedding gift, never imagining that the marriage would ever end in divorce. Since Adelson willingly left the marriage and their home, I wonder if Markel claimed those heirlooms along with the house. If the heirlooms were important to Adelson, she probably would have packed them up and taken them with her, but maybe the heirlooms have a special value to a particular relative who advised Adelson to fight for them, but Dan refused to give away something that he perceived to be rightfully his.

Nancy Grace was on TV tonight screaming and yelling that she didn't know that he had been sitting in his car when he was shot.

She's clueless. Doesn't everybody on Websleuths know that ?

Nancy Grace was on TV tonight screaming and yelling that she didn't know that he had been sitting in his car when he was shot.

She's clueless. Doesn't everybody on Websleuths know that ?

She was clueless on this case last night too, saying the victim obviously knew the attacker because he let the perp into his home through the front door. Then she a moment later corrected herself (probably after a producer corrected her through her earpiece) that it took place in the garage. I was yelling at her through the TV. She does not seem well-read on some of the cases she covers.

Police say they believe Markel stopped by at least four Tallahassee locations on July 17 and 18. On Monday, TPD asked the public if they saw Markel or his black 2008 Honda Accord, with license number 534YBM, in the following places: The area of Tharpe Street and Mission Road; the I-10/Thomasville Road corridor; the area surrounding the FSU College of Law on Jefferson Street at Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard; and Congregation Shomrei Torah on Kerry Forest Parkway.

"We're wondering if someone may have seen him either in his vehicle, outside of his vehicle, talking with people, interacting with community members. Anything that may give us another piece of evidence to move forward."

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...es-piece-together-markels-final-day/13297053/

You never know, when a case goes quiet, if they are working on leads behind the scenes or if they have no clue. I hope they have more than the car description by now.

Wondering if the Prius, is a red herring?
As a common car for the neighbourhood, maybe the killer had a partner drive the car around to be seen by potential witnesses and act as a decoy?
Maybe perp slipped away by bike, or even into a parked car, or backyard, while the Prius is getting chased?

I, too, wondered about the Prius just being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'd like to know how much time was between Dan saying, "Someone's in my driveway" until the shot. From that we'd get a good idea if the person was standing in the driveway as Dan pulled in OR Dan was sitting in his garage, looked in his rearview mirror, and saw someone approaching the car. I know the ABC news story says someone was waiting outside his home for him but that phrasing can mean a lot of different things. If someone was waiting I would think that excludes the road rage angle. How does the ticked off driver get to Dan's house before Dan does?

Although "Someone's in my driveway" infers a stranger--someone Dan didn't know. In contrast to, "What's she doing here?" or "What's he doing here?" Or even using someone's name. So a stranger could mean a road rage incident.

The single shot seems odd, especially since it was fired through glass. I would think someone who wanted to make sure Dan was dead would've taken more than one shot. I'm not sure the shooter would know this but glass in your car is different than glass in your house. Car glass is made with the expectation that something may hit it. So it's a bit tougher. But I'm still wondering why the shooter didn't wait for Dan to get out of the car. Nervous? Saw Dan using the phone and thought the worst? I'm not sure.

The whole thing does kind of have the feel of an amateur execution--like the shooter saw something in a movie and tried to duplicate it.

Did someone here say the Tallahassee ex-mayor lived across the street from Mr. Markel? Is that true? I have to admit there's a very small part of me wondering if the shooter went to the wrong house. I know that sounds like a Law & Order episode but if I were the police I would at least check the possibility. The ex-mayor of a city that is also the state capitol has to have more enemies than a law professor who wasn't known by the average person until he was murdered.

I should've mentioned this in the first post but I'm wondering also about the time between the 911 caller hearing the gun shot until he/she got to the window to see the Prius going down the street. Did the caller see the Prius right away? Was it out of sight then zoomed by? I'm wondering because if it was a very short time between the shot and seeing the Prius--like ten seconds, let's say--that would mean the Prius was basically parked at the entrance to Mr. Markel's driveway. What shooter does that? Or maybe there were two people involved--a shooter and driver--with the Prius down the street and the driver pulling up to pick up the shooter.

By the way, for some reason I'm inclined to believe the Prius was a rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli