GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #2 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we expect a plea deal for one of these two, to roll over on the BIL/MIL?

"I've gone to family dinners and they never talk about what happened to Wendi's ex-husband. I did ask once and Charlie said he was murdered. That was it."

Ummm, does she think they would actually discuss their involvement in a contract killing over Sunday dinner?? Wow. He sure knows how to pick em.

"I've gone to family dinners and they never talk about what happened to Wendi's ex-husband. I did ask once and Charlie said he was murdered. That was it."

Ummm, does she think they would actually discuss their involvement in a contract killing over Sunday dinner?? Wow. He sure knows how to pick em.

Lol! He definitely seems to have a type!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/06/17/two-indicted-markel-slaying/86061826/
Snippets.
8:13 p.m. EDT June 17, 2016

For nearly two days, jurors heard recorded phone calls and reviewed video and other evidence in the case against Sigfredo Garcia, 34, and Luis Rivera, 33. They also heard from Tallahassee Police investigators and civilians.

Meggs said he couldn't comment on whether his office was seeking indictments for anyone in the Adelson family.

“They were not indicted. Today," Meggs said. ”“The case is still being investigated and it will continue to be investigated."
The grand jury, which is generally impaneled for six months, will return in mid-July to hear more information in the case.

Investigators say more arrests are pending.

Tallahassee criminal defense attorney Tim Jansen said it was not unusual for grand jurors to be retained, but in the Markel case, it points to a continuing investigation and more indictments.

“It clearly tells me they're focusing on indicting other people and relatively quickly,” Jansen said.

Garcia’s Ft. Lauderdale attorney Jim Lewis will argue for his client to be released on bond in a hearing on Friday. He said he is not surprised grand jurors indicted his client.

“You know what they say, a good prosecutor could indict a ham sandwich if they can,” Lewis said. “In Tallahassee, it seems like a ham sandwich could be indicted for not being Kosher.”

Can we expect a plea deal for one of these two, to roll over on the BIL/MIL?

IMO, yes, and I think that's what LE is banking on, which is why they're not pursuing further indictments. Yet.

Please remember that WS is a victim friendly forum when you are posting. A few of the people who are either directly or indirectly involved in this case (& not yet suspects or POIs) have decided to put themselves out there and speak publicly. Their statements in MSM are fair game to be discussed, but personal attacks on them or sarcastic remarks about them are unnecessary.

I understand how frustrating it is not to be able to talk/type freely yet...believe me. I'm sitting on my hands, impatiently waiting. Here's to hoping more arrests happen soon​.

Thanks!

Dang. Sort of off topic. I guess since I'm originally from Fort Lauderdale I have 30 friends in common with June U on FB. Some interesting things on there. Lots of pics with Charlie. Not sure if posting about it would support doxxing, though?

For anyone interested in restrictions on the press, the Florida Bar has published Reporters Handbook - Grand Juries. From the handbook:

The United States Supreme Court has enumerated the policies underlying grand jury secrecy:

1. The fear that witnesses will not come forward voluntarily if their identity is not protected;
  2. The fear that witnesses will be less likely to give full and frank testimony if their identity is known so that they become subject to retribution or inducements;
  3. The risk that the indicted will flee if indictments are made public prior to arrest;
  4. The danger that a potential defendant might influence the votes of grand jurors; and
  5. The protection of the reputation of an individual who is accused but not indicted by the grand jury.

Keep in mind one of the men indicted for murder, Luis Rivera aka King Tato, is a member of the Latin Kings and was the leader of the North Miami tribe. A recent conviction landed him in federal prison until 2026. The previously linked DOJ press release re: arrests of 29 violent offenders including Rivera, states the Kings operate in at least 39 states. The first indictment alleges those arrested:

... conspired to violate the federal RICO statute through a pattern of racketeering activity that consisted of multiple acts and threats involving murder, robbery, kidnaping, narcotics trafficking, witness tampering and retaliation, and fraud.​

This Sun Sentinel's article about his conviction notes "the gang's forceful presence in prison". A 2014 Orlando Sentinel article discusses the Latin Kings in Florida, including in the prison system.

His being in prison does not render him powerless. Turning on his co-accused isn't the only option available to him.

Dang. Sort of off topic. I guess since I'm originally from Fort Lauderdale I have 30 friends in common with June U on FB. Some interesting things on there. Lots of pics with Charlie. Not sure if posting about it would support doxxing, though?

I just took a look at her FB. It made me feel sad for her if she was truly unaware of any of this :(.

Quote Originally Posted by Razz
I can no longer get access to that paper. So...they only indicted Garcia and Rivera?! Excuse me while I throw up.

You can usually bypass a paywall by opening a private window on your browser.

Or just empty your cookies.

For anyone interested in restrictions on the press, the Florida Bar has published Reporters Handbook - Grand Juries. From the handbook:

The United States Supreme Court has enumerated the policies underlying grand jury secrecy:

1. The fear that witnesses will not come forward voluntarily if their identity is not protected;
  2. The fear that witnesses will be less likely to give full and frank testimony if their identity is known so that they become subject to retribution or inducements;
  3. The risk that the indicted will flee if indictments are made public prior to arrest;
  4. The danger that a potential defendant might influence the votes of grand jurors; and
  5. The protection of the reputation of an individual who is accused but not indicted by the grand jury.

Keep in mind one of the men indicted for murder, Luis Rivera aka King Tato, is a member of the Latin Kings and was the leader of the North Miami tribe. A recent conviction landed him in federal prison until 2026. The previously linked DOJ press release re: arrests of 29 violent offenders including Rivera, states the Kings operate in at least 39 states. The first indictment alleges those arrested:

... conspired to violate the federal RICO statute through a pattern of racketeering activity that consisted of multiple acts and threats involving murder, robbery, kidnaping, narcotics trafficking, witness tampering and retaliation, and fraud.​

This Sun Sentinel's article about his conviction notes "the gang's forceful presence in prison". A 2014 Orlando Sentinel article discusses the Latin Kings in Florida, including in the prison system.

His being in prison does not render him powerless. Turning on his co-accused isn't the only option available to him.

I'd be scared to death if I was the person(s) who hired him and so far was taking none of the rap for it....

I'm sorry, are you saying that Donna Adelson was in Tallahassee at the time of the killing? Can you provide any evidence to that effect or anything that suggests she was in Tallahallsee as Dan was getting killed?

What do you mean by "immediately afterwards" ? I wouldn't consider a 450+ miles drive as "immediately". And if she was in the Tallahassee area within less than 6hrs of the notification of the murder, I would wonder how that was possible.

Actually LE knows where WA was living when she returned to Tallahassee with the kids. She didn't leave her position until much later. Dan may not have known but LE did and probably her friends as well. Dan and Wendi were estranged, as you know. Estranged people are not exactly are enthusiastic about sharing contact information and minimize their contact as much as possible.

If you read the divorce and settlement proceedings (just their titles), you can see that they had significantly alienated each other. Dan accused her of stealing from him. Wendi accused him of telling her law school colleagues that she stole and that she's mentally unstable. In fact, he supposedly made Wendi's life difficult at the law school and that was one of the reasons she wanted to leave the area, since Dan was a tenured professor of law and had way more clout than Wendi, who's not on tenure track. You can tell they didn't want to be caught dead with each other since they worked at the same law school.

She probably did have her friends and acquaintances watch her kids, including Donna. But LE would know if Donna was in Tallahassee. We would probably know as well if she was there before being told about the murder. That's because the PC cited the last motion during their proceedings as one of the motives and it would be very compelling to locate grandma near the scene of the crime. No news outlet or any half-legitimate news source has. More than likely she wasn't in Tallahassee at the time. But she was probably on her way to Tallahassee, when she was told of the murder (or that the hit was pulled off successfully). To not travel then would be strange, given her past interactions with Wendi and the kids. Plus it was Friday. That's how these things probably unfolded, not in the manner some of the people here are suggesting.

We don't even know where WA was living when she returned to Tallehassee with the kids. Maybe she didn't need someone to help her with the kids during the week. Maybe they were at daycare all day while she was working. Same with Dan. I believe that was part of Dan's beef, though. That WA used others to watch the kids when he was available (but it wasn't his week.)

I just took a look at her FB. It made me feel sad for her if she was truly unaware of any of this :(.

I feel the same way. Without knowing much about her, she seems naive. I wouldn't be surprised

Re: June Umchinda timing is impeccable. One could be confused into thinking this was grand jury testimony.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

My first thought upon reading that, was that I could see how it might come up in conversation after x amount of time...unless it's become a family rule not to discuss said topic. And, clearly it's not discussed, or she'd be aware of why hes been under stress. (It ain't work, honey! Pull yo' head out the sand!)

Not Allowed (SM/profile pages)

Social media pages that fall in the following categories are OFF LIMITS.

• Family members of either a victim or a suspect
  • Friends of either a victim or a suspect
  • Most any other individual

Don't link to these pages, nor make reference to information you find on them.

I'm sorry, are you saying that Donna Adelson was in Tallahassee at the time of the killing? Can you provide any evidence to that effect or anything that suggests she was in Tallahallsee as Dan was getting killed?

That was not my interpretation at all...

When you feel sad, think of latex husband. That cures me every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momo1