GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU law professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #2 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Accused-Markel-hitman-appears-before-judge-384262951.html

Sigfredo+Garcia3.jpg
June 24, 2016 Update: 10:30 a.m.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) -- A judge has delayed a decision on bond in the Sigfredo Garcia case.

The defense attorney, James Lewis, claims there is "no proof" only "speculation" and "theories."

Lewis says there are no witnesses and no physical evidence putting Garcia at the scene of Dan Markel's murder.

He demanded an opportunity to call Tallahassee Police Officers as witnesses in the bond hearing.

The judge agreed to delay a decision on bond until next week, possibly Tuesday at 9 a.m.

Defense attorney James Lewis also complained that Garcia is being held in isolation in a 6 by 6 cell at the Leon County Jail. He called that "inhumane" and says he plans to petition the court to change that.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/06/23/garcia-could-have-bond-set/86294438/

636023565030560654-IMG-1322.JPG
Sigfredo Garcia, who is accused of killing Florida State University law professor Dan Markel, arrives in Leon County court for a bond hearing Friday morning. (Photo: Karl Etters/Democrat)
Chief Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman is seeking the death penalty. She asked Garica be held without bond or at the minimum a $1 million bond.

"As far as I know there is no DNA at the crime scene. I don't have a witness that will say 'I saw Mr. Garcia kill Mr. Markel so (Lewis) is right to that extent," Cappleman said. "But there is a mountain of other evidence that I think will be sufficient to reach my burden beyond a reasonable doubt at trial."

Additional arrests are expected in the case.

From the Democrat FB page: "Major document drop in Dan Markel case. Prosecutors provided details and evidence as part of the discovery process. We are currently working through dozens of pages, videos, audio and photos. Stay tuned toTallahassee.com throughout the day for updates."

"
Prosecutors maintain they have a "mountain of evidence." We will have some of it online soon."

Will wait and see...

<mod add: https://www.facebook.com/tallahasseedemocrat/posts/10157045331865082 >

From the Democrat FB page: "Major document drop in Dan Markel case. Prosecutors provided details and evidence as part of the discovery process. We are currently working through dozens of pages, videos, audio and photos. Stay tuned toTallahassee.com throughout the day for updates."

"
Prosecutors maintain they have a "mountain of evidence." We will have some of it online soon."

Will wait and see...

<mod add: https://www.facebook.com/tallahasseedemocrat/posts/10157045331865082 >

Documents are up now...

Evidence points to earlier Markel murder attempt
Prosecutors say Sigfredo Garcia and Luis Rivera traveled to Tallahassee in June 2014 during a thwarted attempt to execute Dan Markel.

(...)

Prosecutors say the June trip was cut short when a Miami rental car company found out Garcia and Rivera were in Tallahassee. The car was rented for local use only. Cappleman said the company pinged the GPS on the car and Rivera and Garcia immediately turned around and headed back to Miami.
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/06/24/documents-shed-light-markel-case/86338168/

also from this article
In a Broward County Jail phone call with his girlfriend Katherine Magbanua, Garcia said he wanted to put the ordeal behind him and once he was released, &#8220;get the hell out of Dodge,&#8221; he said. &#8220;And just put all this sh** behind us.&#8221;

The jail phone call is amazing. Supports a lot of what people have been saying about Garcia. He also said what sounds like "I don't know what they said.....what they did up there... everythings gonna be (or get?) *advertiser censored**ing crazy". The call gets good around the 25 minute mark. He goes in to decent detail instructing her to load up all their crap so they can take off once he get out (assuming on bond).

The jail phone call is amazing. Supports a lot of what people have been saying about Garcia. He also said what sounds like "I don't know what they said.....what they did up there... everythings gonna be (or get?) *advertiser censored**ing crazy". The call gets good around the 25 minute mark. He goes in to decent detail instructing her to load up all their crap so they can take off once he get out (assuming on bond).

There's no doubt about their relationship and that they were living together ("our bedroom set"). It sounds like a combo of getting out of Dodge and, whether it's true or not, their lease expiring. He doesn't want the stuff in storage because it's just another bill, something could happen to it, or they could lose it because they miss a payment. He's firmly insistent about her keeping only the bedroom and living room sets, the table, and clothes. He told her to grab the perishables from the kitchen and get someone to "run through there and throw everything out," tell <someone> to "get all the stuff and dump it." Something in there that needs to disappear?

ETA: Direct SoundCloud link: https://soundcloud.com/tallahassee-democrat/jail-call-sigfredo-garcia

Is anyone able to click on the links to the exhibits? It doesn't work for me. I'm especially interested in Exhibit 2 on page 4.

The document links aren't clickable. I don't think they've made everything available yet. The article ends with "check back for updates." The only other thing I've found other than the video, audio, and photos embedded in the article is a larger version of the video, the Prius following DM's car: http://www.tallahassee.com/videos/news/2016/06/24/86337884/

The document links aren't clickable. I don't think they've made everything available yet. The article ends with "check back for updates." The only other thing I've found other than the video, audio, and photos embedded in the article is a larger version of the video, the Prius following DM's car: http://www.tallahassee.com/videos/news/2016/06/24/86337884/

I'll check tonight and over the weekend. If they don't show up/news outlets won't post like last time I'll be happy to make another request with the Leon County Clerk of Court. It was pretty straight forward last time :)

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/06/24/documents-shed-light-markel-case/86338168/

636023715215531372-ATM-Garcia.jpeg
Luis Rivera, driving, and Sigfredo Garcia are captured on ATM security footage in Miami the day Dan Markel was killed. (Photo: State Attorney's Office)

Prosecutors say Sigfredo Garcia and Luis Rivera were thwarted in an earlier attempt to execute Dan Markel in Tallahassee the month before he was finally slain.
Lewis said there was a &#8220;good, legitimate reason why (Garcia) would be in Tallahassee for those days and at the appropriate time that&#8217;s going to come out.&#8221;

Chief Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman is seeking the death penalty. She asked that Garcia be kept behind bars or face a minimum bond of $1 million.

She added that prosecutors must explain why Garcia should be held without bond, but that doesn&#8217;t allow Lewis to shake down the entire case.

&#8220;If I fail, then the result and the remedy is to give a bond, not to be able to call witnesses and be able to examine my whole case,&#8221; Cappleman said.

She conceded concrete, physical evidence could not place Garcia as the shooter, but that other evidence would prove otherwise.

Several new facts came out today that are important for putting together how the murder of Dan Markel went down.

(1) Garcia was wearing a white polo shirt inside the tinted Prius. He was the passenger when Rivera was withdrawing money from an ATM in Pembroke Pines, FL . In one of the videos taken from Star Metro immediately before the murder, you can see his white shirt. Once again, he is the passenger, not the driver. This leads me to think he may have shot Dan with Rivera's silver-finished revolver. We can't be sure 100% but the driver tends to focus on getting away from the scene as quickly as he can, while the passenger is planning how to execute the contracted target. Garcia, however, was the driver the day before at the Ashford Apartments, when a witness spotted the two. So they obviously alternated driving duties. But being a passenger immediately prior to the killing (and after the killing as well) leads me to believe he may have been the shooter rather than Rivera. His white polo shirt is so bright you can see right through the tinted Prius.

(2) Dan had his car window rolled all the way up when he was shot. His black Accord was about 90% inside the garage and was still running. We know from his phone conversation that someone he doesn't recognize was in the driveway. That someone had probably parked right behind him, just outside the garage. Dan may have been alarmed by this (or something else he may have noticed), that he did not roll down the window. Or he may have rolled down and then rolled up, sensing danger. We know there was some kind of muffled exchange. It could have just been, "Are you Dan Markel?" before he was shot twice.

(3) Dan was wearing a red t-shirt when he walked into Premier Fitness. At 5-10 he could not have weighed more than 165 lbs. In other words, it would have been pretty easy to overpower Dan if Garcia and Rivera had found their way in the house on July 17, 2014, when they approached the house from the Ashford Club Apartments. Dan did not change his gym clothes and was probably heading home to take a shower. After finishing his workout, he sits in his black Accord for a while before driving out of the parking lot (you can see that the widely-circulated photo of the green Prius only a week into the shooting was from this fitness center). Dan probably was on the phone at this time with the same guy until he returned home. Talking and driving, he probably didn't have a prayer of noticing the green Prius following him from the West side of Tallahassee, when he dropped off his boys at daycare.

(4) Rivera rented the green Prius at 6:15pm on 7/15/2014, Tuesday evening. He did not start driving to Tallahassee until Wednesday afternoon (7/16) and checked in at a motel on W. Tennessee Street at 1 am on 7/17. According to the rental contract, this was originally supposed to be a 2-day rental (from 7/15 to 7/17). It ended up being a 6-day rental (7/15 to 7/21). Rivera kept the car for 3 more days after driving home from Tallahassee. According to the newly-released documents, the rental car place used to be called Hybrid Auto Rental Center, specializing in hybrid cars like Prius. It is no longer there and the Web site is gone.

Can anyone explain why Daniel had to be shot twice, in the face for goodness sake?!
He/ she / they, were up close too, was that an act of cowardly killer spite, or were 2 shots to the face, the order given. Was this a botched execution, for the man who, ironically did not agree with the death sentence for others?
Did Dan's children look like him, will they grow up to look like him?
What an abomination, he did not die right away , sitting in the very car his kids had just been sitting in.
Is a car any bigger than a 6 x 6 cell?

Speculation, imo.

http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/WAT...in-Markel-murder-investigation-384296141.html
Markel+Car.jpg
There are photos of Markel's car with its window shattered and a drawing from the medical examiner which shows Markel was shot twice in the face.

Why would Garcia wear a long sleeved white shirt to assassinate Markel? He was lucky that Dan's window was rolled up or he would have had blood all over the shirt. Again, I am astounded by their...... stupidity and their incredible dumb luck.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Why would Garcia wear a long sleeved white shirt to assassinate Markel? He was lucky that Dan's window was rolled up or he would have had blood all over the shirt. Again, I am astounded by their...... stupidity and their incredible dumb luck.

Looking at that pic now, thinking i can vaguely see a dark t shirt underneath the white shirt.
Wonder if he brought that shirt to quickly throw on, so that if stopped by LE, he would not appear to be splattered with blood?
imo, speculation.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...or-Tallahassee-18-July-2014-2-*Arrest*/page41

636023715215531372-ATM-Garcia.jpeg

Looking at that pic now, thinking i can vaguely see a dark t shirt underneath the white shirt.
Wonder if he brought that shirt to quickly throw on, so that if stopped by LE, he would not appear to be splattered with blood?
imo, speculation.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...or-Tallahassee-18-July-2014-2-*Arrest*/page41

View attachment 97239
As I am unable to click on evidentiary pictures, I am going by Helmut3585's post that says,
"In one of the videos taken from Star Metro. immediately before the murder, you see the white shirt".

As I am unable to click on evidentiary pictures, I am going by Helmut3585's post that says,
"In one of the videos taken from Star Metro. immediately before the murder, you see the white shirt".

Well, here's another idea. As I can't see the "before pictures",
I noticed from your picture of Markel's car after the shooting, the driver's window was totally blown out. Surely there would have been some blowback onto the shooter's body?!

Note that in the ATM photo, Rivera is wearing a black shirt.
Could he have been the shooter?
Are there before pictures of Rivera?

As these two made in back to Miami in really good time ( taking the longest route possible) would they have had time to change out or wash up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member