GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My spouse who has not followed this case and is a clinical professional said Wendi was composed yet labored in her breathing and body language was that of being evasive. JHOP
My spouse who has not followed this case and is a clinical professional said Wendi was composed yet labored in her breathing and body language was that of being evasive. JHOP
BBM: YES, very evasive. It's like she has no clue who did this to Dan and she's being bothered having to testify. IMO her family kept everything from her so she could be free of it! They were glad she followed through and moved down there with the kids.

I haven’t seen courts where jurors are allowed to ask questions before. I like that a lot. Having served on both a civil and a criminal case, I would have liked to be able to ask questions.

In this trial, it would be difficult for anyone to convince me to believe these 2 (and LR) did this murder when none of them knew DM. The only connection to DM seems to be through CA/KM. If KM doesn’t flip, she’s a cooked goose. Breast implants, an old used Lexus, and some cash is useless to her now. Is it her value system that prevents her from flipping? Conspiring to murder is ok, but flipping on CA isn’t? Or is she terrified of SG and LR’s Latin King brotherhood? Would they harm her, her family, or her kids? I know nothing about that segment of society. Seems to me, it’s the Adelsons who need to be watching their backs. Involvement with gangs is a risky business. They only thought Dan Markel was trouble...he was a cream puff in comparison with their current foes.
I was under the assumption KM was going to get a bundle of money from the As for not flipping otherwise she could have gotten immunity and been out of there a long time ago!

BBM: YES, very evasive. It's like she has no clue who did this to Dan and she's being bothered having to testify. IMO her family kept everything from her so she could be free of it! They were glad she followed through and moved down there with the kids.

I keep thinking of the words *plausible deniability* in so much of this case concerning Wendy.

Thanks to the poster above pointing out that her previous boyfriend would be considered hearsay.

Wendi was soooo involved, and she couldn't resist stopping by the crime scene, talking to charlie that morning, calling dan to verify he is in town and will be driving back to his house, and then bought the celebration bullet vodka...she must have thought all along that she is some smart hot character in a movie that will always get away with murder...

If possible... Read a paragraph or two of "Compensation" by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

The State only gets one bite at the apple when they do finally charge "all" who took part in this murder. No ones flying under the radar in this case. The State may have enough to make an arrest right now. I believe they are looking for a little more than beyond a reasonable doubt with circumstantial evidence for the providers of the money. The thing in this case is the State went above the norm to catch and involve the perpetrators. Wealth and privilege does play into it too. Somebody high up on the legal ladder was murdered in this one. Otherwise this may have been an unsolved case. IMO.

question: why didn't the prosecution challenge her on most of the lies she said?

I also think Rivera has ADHD. The way he skips all around and gets on tangents. One other thing he said made me think that too but now I can't remember what it was.
Yeah that could be. To me he did come across as largely believable and credible, it did not seem like he was evasive to the cops. Sure he a cold blooded criminal as he says on the tape 'I'm a jack boy, I rob drug dealers' and he was already in federal prison during his plea deal but a lot of what he said seems corroborated by other evidence.

Even without him there is a lot of evidence against Garcia (Katie somewhat less so). But when he testifies I expect the defense counsel to be objecting like crazy!

Yeah that could be. To me he did come across as largely believable and credible

I agree. And dare I say likeable at times. I don't know what his temper is like, though.....he could get too defensive during the cross and lose his credibility. I guess we will see. I wonder if "Shrimp" will be called, and what she knew.

I think the prosecutor was in a bit of a tough spot with Wendi. Maybe a bit due to the constraints of the subpoena/immunity deal she was there under. But mainly IMO if the state goes after Wendi too hard now, the jury might look more favorably on SG and KM, who are the ones on trial!

The prosecutor had to bring out the motive, insofar as Adelson family rage at DM, but not go so far that the jury would feel it is ridiculous that no Adelsons are on trial here but SG and KM are. Which is something really confusing and bizarre about this trial IMO.

Noticing what the defense attorneys stressed with Wendi--KM attorney: did you know my client has kids? Your brother has had many girlfriends right (hint that he used and disposed of KM?) Your mom/dad/brother are free, not in jail, never been charged right? You are not afraid you will be arrested right?
KM attorney brought a salient point home to the jury which is: those people are free as rich privileged birds while here my client sits on trial, how is this fair?

I agree. And dare I say likeable at times. I don't know what his temper is like, though.....he could get too defensive during the cross and lose his credibility. I guess we will see. I wonder if "Shrimp" will be called, and what she knew.
I agree with you I kind of chuckled at the guy at times ('I may be illiterate but I f-----g know how to count money!', his antics looking for the Prius to return it to the rental agency after Garcia drunkenly forgot where he parked it), despite of course him being horrible.
His demeanor on stand will be interesting maybe years in prison has changed him. He'll be testifying against his lifelong buddy Garcia although seems no love lost for Katie in the video he said he blamed her for getting them in this mess.

Last edited:
I don't know, good question. Maybe because she wasn't the one on trial?
I think the prosecutor did a good job with her i.e., the long pauses when she seemed to be untruthful. I do think it might have gotten too messy to attack her since she's not on trial, and it seemed the jury picked up on what was happening without the DA having to impeach her too much. The DA will probably rely on on other evidence -- divorce documents etc -- to show the jury Wendi's bias and credibility issues and will argue that in closing. JMO.

I think the prosecutor did a good job with her i.e., the long pauses when she seemed to be untruthful. I do think it might have gotten too messy to attack her since she's not on trial, and it seemed the jury picked up on what was happening without the DA having to impeach her too much. The DA will probably rely on on other evidence -- divorce documents etc -- to show the jury Wendi's bias and credibility issues and will argue that in closing. JMO.

Totally agree. The long pauses were masterful. But of course Wendi knew why they were happening so she tried her best to stay completely stoic like a Stepford Wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces