GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #7 *arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the jury is as put off by Decoste as most of us seem to be?

I don't see how they can't be. They are regular people. I also think some of them could be COMPLETELY lost. Not every single one of them is going to be super detail-oriented. If my mom was on this jury???? Omg, she'd be like, "So Donna is Katie's mom? Is that right?" (Not even kidding)

I don't see how they can't be. They are regular people. I also think some of them could be COMPLETELY lost. Not every single one of them is going to be super detail-oriented. If my mom was on this jury???? Omg, she'd be like, "So Donna is Katie's mom? Is that right?" (Not even kidding)
You are so right this case is complex as hell

I feel like those texts between KM and CA in September 2014 re excited to start (a job?) could be convincing to the jury that she did have a job. That they could believe she was freelance doing legit dental office stuff from home.

I agree!!

It's been a few years since I was on jury duty (it was federal court). Back then we served on several cases over a period of a month or something. (Of course, the was back in the dark ages lol). Anyway, I just remember some of my fellow jurors were not fully understanding details on one of the cases... It was frustrating. Since that time, jury trials cause me worry/doubt. :(

I'm just gonna' be quiet now.

The good thing is that their questions have been very good. That's a good sign. Hopefully the detail oriented jurors will help the others...

FSU Law Professor Murder Trial Day 6 Witnesses: Mary Hull Fmr Part 5 & Spc Agt Oscar Jimenez - Undercover FBI

Oct 4, 2019

I agree!!

It's been a few years since I was on jury duty (it was federal court). Back then we served on several cases over a period of a month or something. (Of course, the was back in the dark ages lol). Anyway, I just remember some of my fellow jurors were not fully understanding details on one of the cases... It was frustrating. Since that time, jury trials cause me worry/doubt. :(

I have never been called for jury duty, but I can't help recall the "unanimous" guilty verdict in the first Jessica Chambers murder trial, which ended in a mistrial when the jury was polled and it was revealed that they did not know what unanimous means, and their verdict was indeed not unanimous.

During this trial, I just have to keep in mind that the prosecution has learned what does and does not work, and what the jury is thinking and is acceptable throughout this trial.

It is a trial run for the next set of defendants to ensure the next prosecutions ends in convictions?

This is so true. If that neighbour hadn’t also spotted the Prius it would have been a lot harder to track the suspects.

That neighbor should be given a medal! And he even knew it was a Prius and recognized such. That was so key! SLAM

I find that very suspect. The whole tv thing is suspect. Even DA refers to the undercover agent as a tv that is going to cost them 5k. ( Probable cause affidavit for CA) Plus her brother purchasing her a tv for a divorce gift. I don't look at my tv the same way anymore after this trial.

I hope the jury didn't miss that connection of the reference to the TV twice. Once with Wendy, and once when the undercover agent prompted them to talk about it.

btw -- on the WA book: crappy book, piss-poor writing (so embarrassing from a University faculty member), and passive-aggressive rant directed right at her husband.
I'd bet DM took a quick, passing glance at it, sized it up accordingly, and basically said to WA - "are you kidding me?"
I'm sure WA was offended and felt marginalized by DM, but the book also made her feel empowered against DM.
If WA was really forthcoming with DM, she would have been showing him drafts of sections as she was writing it, instead of just springing it on him in published hardback form when it had already gone out to the public.

The only time I have seen such hatred and the vitriol towards a spouse publically shouting to the world was when someone had an affair. But he did not as far as We Know. Moo.

Without going into detail as to why, I'll just say that I am pretty confident about the accuracy of my characterizations of these two. Dan could be a real jerk--not intentionally cruel, but just thoughtless. Wendi could be a spoiled entitled princess. I just want to resist the narrative that Dan was a saint and Wendi an evil lying temptress. The truth is they both had their problems. Their marriage was fatally flawed and my strong sense is they were both at fault for the marriage's failure.

As for her job at FSU, Wendi was what's known in legal academia as a "trailing spouse." If that sounds like something no one wants to be, that's because it isn't. Basically, Dan got a job at FSU and to convince him to come, FSU offered her one too. But what they offered her not the same echelon of job that they offered him, a tenure-track (TT) position. Rather, it was an NTT (non tenure track) position as the director of an immigration clinic. This is great work, and many people would find it more rewarding than being a TT professor, because you are not just teaching and writing but actually affecting real cases.

That said, NTT jobs are generally considered lower status because (1) they get paid less, (2) they do not come with the promise of lifetime job security (tenure), and (3) they are generally easier to get so not considered as prestigious. So yes, the lower-status thing was a constant point of resentment for her, as was the "trailing spouse" thing.

So it's not that she had trouble getting a career going, it's that Wendi was doing work that she had to do because she had to follow him from a large legal market (Miami) to a tiny one (Tallahassee). That said, she seems passionate about immigration (putting aside for the moment the irony of her being a strong critic of family separation), so directing the immigration clinic does not seem far from her area of interest. And it seems to have rankled her that she was doing work that she had to take in order to facilitate Dan's job, even if it was work she enjoyed on some level.

Travis wasn't a saint ( Jodi Arias case), Shannan Watts had quirks that some did not like ( Christopher Watts case)... but none justify murder! Many folks go through the same things that they did oh, and it just takes the wrong person to be in the mix. Moo

I have absolutely no difficulty understanding this. This is a relatively mundane attitude whose only purpose is to control the other spouse to the ultimate end of demonstrating to the hated-one that they control the most basic of all rights - the right to direct the development of your own children. I'm sure people here have seen this played out an uncountable number of times. As to murder....well...thankfully that's less mundane. The keystone cops aspect of this case makes it so interesting, with everyone feeling they were just sooo smart. All of their combined IQs (including all Adelsons) was probably < DM.

Yes, for her to publish that book publicly for all of her family and friends and his family and friends to see, that was control for sure. He had to keep his mouth shut or else he would get entangled into what buttons she was pushing in my opinion. So therefore, he said that he had not read the book. But I'm sure he knew what was in it.

Especially since we've now witnessed the caliber of their employees....

Oh my gosh, if we were on another website we could go on and on about this! But I will just move on.

That's interesting -- per this witness the Dental Institute checks to KM stopped after SG was arrested.

I did not follow much of this afternoon, so thanks for noting this.

This is such a complex case again with all the times and dates and cell towers and financial information to try to put together. I would think it's going to take the jury a long time but you never know.

I have no idea what happened here but once you know that something negative has been printed about you by a family member, I can imagine not wanting to read the whole thing. Why put yourself through that? If a spouse wrote negative things about me in the guise of fiction I would file for divorce. JMO.

So so sad. I hope his friends are following this case and they are like Jeff, they are discussing what they are seeing as the truth. It took some of their friends to realize this sooner, but I would expect that this trial is very eye-opening too many of them.

All what have been said to date about the events leading to the Wendi Adelson and Dan Markel’s divorce, the bitterness of how the in-laws Adelsons communicated with the person they called “Jibber”, the efforts to separate “Jibber” from his kids and eventually getting the kids to Miami, … to the point when “Jibber” is “erased” … also said assassinated …, and the name Markel is erased … also said changed … from the civil records of his children, … these events are terrible stories, recounted and embellished mostly by Wendi Adelson.

Dan Markel is too dead to speak in his defense.

When the reckoning of facts comes for Wendi Adelson, if it came at all, she will have to go to Canossa. Friends and relatives of Dan Markel will be availed the opportunity to tell his truth about the events leading to his divorce.

Then, the attention grabbing TV stories such as “to buy you a TV as a birthday present rather than hiring a hitman”, and “the birthday TV was repaired by a TV repairman when “bad” things happened” will look ridiculous. If they were Sicilians, this is telling: a) you have a stone in your shoe (you need a TV); then b) someone is sent to remove the stone that is bothering you (the TV is repaired).

No words..agree

Aside from all of this - it seems Wendi wasn’t ever truly happy with the marriage from the get go. Remember her friend saying she wanted to call it off? And then even Wendi says in her podcast that she thought she “could cheat the system and marry someone she lacked passionate love for”. The marriage, IMHO, was doomed from the beginning. I think Dan was completely in love with her - passionately and otherwise. It also seems that Dan was an old fashioned guy (much like my father) who assumed that Wendy would be ok with the sacrifices one must make in order for a marriage to thrive. Maybe it wasn’t a case of not seeing her as an equal, but that he was old fashioned in the sense that he thought the woman/wife was to be the primary caretaker of the children and household and that the husband was to be the breadwinner. Marriage is a give and take, but Wendi seemed to not be satisfied with the situation and choice she made to agree to move and settle in Tallahassee with Dan. Did she try to make the best of that decision? Did she accept the reality of her life? Did Wendi ever try to find employment on her own with a law firm outside of FSU? My guess is no, or if she did - no one wanted to hire her for whatever reason. What a sad tragedy Dan’s murder was. I don’t care if he was egotistical, opinionated, rude, abrasive, blunt, and all the other negative things that have been said about him. He in no way deserved to be slaughtered because his wife was a spoiled brat who wanted her way and to move to Miami. She made the choice to move and have children in Tallahassee with Dan. Some choices you must learn to live with and learn to make the best of them. Because of her - Dan is dead, and 2 little boys are without their daddy. Dan’s family and countless people are suffering because Wendi wanted her way.

I have listened to that podcast, and other items that she posted, in the last week. Just to reinforce what her level of underlying passive aggressive and murderous intent was. M o o.

She oozes it out of her pores.

I don't mean this to be a religious comment, but I hope she, and others responsible are shunned.

Moo

Last edited:
Anybody catch the date on this?

"He invited me to go deep sea fishing. He was so nice."- a text Adelson sent Magbanua after she asked if Garcia called him. #MarkelMurderTrialWTXL @abc27
I wonder if the jury is as put off by Decoste as most of us seem to be?
There's something about his personality and presentation or delivery that makes you feel uncomfortable. He is very polite at the end of the court days and He may be a very nice person outside of the courtroom. I would recommend to him to change more to a pleasing personality during his cross examinations. Instead of using the word Government change it to the Prosecution, Prosecutor, or Ms. so and so. Refer to the actual person, who is laying out the charges. Attacking the Government seems to phony. IMO. After all we depend on the Government in times of emergencies and help. He should take a few tips from Jose Biaz.

Last edited:
I have never been called for jury duty, but I can't help recall the "unanimous" guilty verdict in the first Jessica Chambers murder trial, which ended in a mistrial when the jury was polled and it was revealed that they did not know what unanimous means, and their verdict was indeed not unanimous.

That is the worst - yet the best example. It seems many of "my peers" who have a higher degree of education are dismissed from jury duty. But, having said that... More education does not automatically make for a better juror. (Although it couldn't hurt!)

I said I was gonna sit quiet! I fail everytime I make that statement. :oops:

Hmmmm, whomever could you be talking about???

Ha! Heather Elvis case.

Tammy Moorer was all over social media. Another thread, another case, I'll let this one pass. She was unbelievable.

ETA, but like the Elvis case, if Wendi Adelson ever goes to trial, I wonder if her Antics ( her book and what she said for her class) on social media will come into the trial.

Last edited:
Ha! Heather Elvis case.

Tammy Moorer was all over social media. Another thread, another case, I'll let this one pass. She was unbelievable.

ETA, but like the Elvis case, if Wendi Adelson ever goes to trial, I wonder if her Antics ( her book and what she said for her class) on social media will come into the trial.

I know ;). I was being sarcastic ;).

This is so true. If that neighbour hadn’t also spotted the Prius it would have been a lot harder to track the suspects.
Either way they were done. The wife is the first suspect. Look what she spewed out to law enforcement while trying to look innocent and stupid. Then the idiot refuses to return calls to detectives two days later. Consciousness of Guilt! An innocent person would always be free to talk to Law Enforcement.

And so many children of the adults that have been involved.

Prayers going up for the innocent children, all of them.

I wish this was like the Sievers case, where the other grandparents obtained custody. Time will tell and it is so tragic for the Markell grandparents.

Such bul***it when Wendi was on the stand when she said that they were in discussions. Moo

I cannot imagine what his family is going through. I hope they are being surrounded at this time in Tallahassee by friends of Dan.

ETA- jury selection for one of the murderers in the Sievers case is going on right now. The trial will start soon.

Dr. Teresa Sievers Trial Discussion - Mark Sievers and Jimmy Rodgers, 3 June 2019

Last edited:
Also wanted to say this about WA - while there is no solid proof she was unfaithful to Dan ...she sure did get cozy with JL rather quickly after moving out of the marital home. And then there’s the words from JL about WA seeing other men while he thought the relationship was a close, monogamous one.

ETA - WA doesn’t sound like she was a perfect wife or partner.
To bad JL didn't mention the hit man comments to his superiors at FSU. But then again he hated DM too.

Last edited:
I agree!!

Yikes... I always worry about that...

FSU Law Professor Murder Trial Day 6 Witnesses: Mary Hull Fmr Part 5 & Spc Agt Oscar Jimenez - Undercover FBI

Oct 4, 2019

I'm still really mad about Decoste (defense attorney) insisting the undercover FBI agent go along with his "planting something and making it grow" scenario so that he could give a PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION OF HIM to anyone listening, using his "long beard" as an excuse to give that description. (Towards the end of this video) This is absolutely despicable and I think it was a threat.

That was absolutely brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members