GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm usually hard on the cops, but the police did a magnificent job on this case, regardless of the verdict. They did not interview Charlie because they fully understood that doing so would make him completely change his behaviour and take extra precautions. Instead they let him believe he wasnt even a suspect. No calls, no interviews. Nothing. For almost 2 years. And he got comfortable. In fact, they interviewed nobody with the exception of Rivera and only because he was already in federal custody serving out a 12 year sentence and staring a life in jail or the death penalty. Rivera was not out in the free world to talk freely with any other co-conspirators.

If you look at the bump strategy...to plant a few breadcrumbs with the completely irrational and insane Donna Adelson, the cops knew from how she was plotting the divorce and controlling Rob Adelson's previous marriage/life that she would go nuts and set off a chain reaction where all the real players would start talking.

They could have gone to the mostly low IQ Garcia (who is the only one with enough sense to not want to talk on phones). They could have gone to Magbanua, who is a mother of 2 kids...one with special needs...a prime candidate to just flip and turn everyone in. They could have gone to Charlie....but he's always suspected that the FBI or IRS were following him and he would have lawyered up immediately. Go to anyone but Donna Adelson, and everyone is throwing out their phones, and the wiretap is dead. But they went to Donna. And that's Charlie's weakness....his mom/sister's mental health. And it worked as well as anyone could possibly imagine, for a family and plot as cunning as this one. If there is anyone who thinks they can outwit the dumbass cops, its Charlie Adelson. But not from a direct police interview...it had to be an extortion scheme, where he was just paranoid enough to not know who was behind it and his crazy mother was just crazy enough to be stuck crapping herself to sleep every night until Charlie could get to the bottom of it.
Also they did not interview CA because I’m sure CA would not talk to them.

Can’t remember what he said in this trial, but in the last trial, detective Isom testified that he approached DA and HA immediately after Dan Markel’s memorial service in Tallahassee (a memorial service CA did not deign to attend) and indicated he would like to speak to them. They put him off by saying ok we will call you or something — but they didn’t. And we all know that once WA got out of the TPD station the night of the murder, she never cooperated further— she basically hung up on Isom when he called her on the phone after the memorial as she zoomed away to her new life in south Florida.

I think the fact that the Adelson crew expressed zero, zilch, and nada interest in the murder investigation, which they were not implicated in for almost 2 years, was a big big tell. Even when WA claimed to be so so terrified she. Iuksnt eat, go outdoors, let her kids keep their last name etc.

Last edited:

Can’t remember what he said in this trial, but in the last trial, detective Isom testified that he approached DA and HA immediately after Dan Markel’s memorial service in Tallahassee (a memorial service CA did not deign his attend) and indicated he would like to speak to them. They put him off by saying ok we will call you or something — but they didn’t. And we all know that once WA got out of the TPD station the night of the murder, she never cooperated further— she basically hung up on Isom when he called her on the phone after the memorial as she zoomed away to her new life in south Florida.

I think the fact that the Adelson crew expressed zero, zilch, and nada interest in the murder investigation, which they were not implicated in for almost 2 years, was a big big tell. Even when WA claimed to be so so terrified she. Iuksnt eat, go outdoors, let her kids keep their last name etc.
This is a bit shocking, that you can just refuse to talk to the police and potentially get away with murder. They just said “yeah, sure, we will call you,” and then didn’t. And the police made no further efforts. I guess most criminals aren’t so smart? Does this happen often, where the family of the victim just doesn’t talk to the police, and the police just stop asking? Is it a small town thing? Were they just out matched by these clever Miami people? Seems sometimes like they didn’t realize who they were dealing with, that these weren’t just grieving parents.

Can’t remember what he said in this trial, but in the last trial, detective Isom testified that he approached DA and HA immediately after Dan Markel’s memorial service in Tallahassee (a memorial service CA did not deign his attend) and indicated he would like to speak to them. They put him off by saying ok we will call you or something — but they didn’t. And we all know that once WA got out of the TPD station the night of the murder, she never cooperated further— she basically hung up on Isom when he called her on the phone after the memorial as she zoomed away to her new life in south Florida.

Yes, thats my recollection as well about the memorial service and her parents not talking. Wendi seems to know the exact mile marker she was out of Tallahassee when the cops tried to call but cant explain what shes doing taking a huge detour past the murder scene on the day of the murder? Everything is a lie. And that makes it extremely difficult for the State. The only conspirator telling any truth is Rivera. Even on the wires, they are all lying to each other. Its madness.

Even June Umchinda was basically willing to perjure herself. Luckily they couldnt get to the other witnesses.

My dream was a verdict this morning, but I can wait. Imagine how bad the wait will be for CA- stuck in a cell, unable to talk to anyone or distract himself, you could almost feel sorry for him. (I don't, of course)
While we have this pause, could someone be kind enough to help me understand the complaints Dan made against Wendi about financial disclosures she had made, that he said were less than truthful, during their divorce proceedings? I have never been able to understand that, splinter in my memory.

How long is the judge going to make them stay there? Holiday weekend? This has hung jury written all over it. They want to go home. Theyre going to say they can’t reach a verdict. Unless the Court wants to put them up in a hotel for the weekend. Or is sequestration not necessary, can they come back Tuesday and just say they won’t talk to anyone in the meantime? She’s up on four counts and they can’t agree on ONE? That’s bad prosecution. That’s the problem with prosecutors. They’re state employees, they don’t get paid a lot, and when they get a defendant who has any money and can afford better lawyers who get paid a ton, they can’t compete. See, OJ. I’d say we need to pay prosecutors more, but it’s not really worth it because these cases don’t come up very often. The bulk of what they do is plea deals for poor people. And Cappleman is very good, don’t get me wrong. Just not used to having to compete with highly paid private attorneys. This, and the fact that the Adelsons could just not talk to police, shows that the system is badly rigged in favor of the wealthy.

Last edited:
This is a bit shocking, that you can just refuse to talk to the police and potentially get away with murder. They just said “yeah, sure, we will call you,” and then didn’t. And the police made no further efforts. I guess most criminals aren’t so smart? Does this happen often, where the family of the victim just doesn’t talk to the police, and the police just stop asking? Is it a small town thing? Were they just out matched by these clever Miami people? Seems sometimes like they didn’t realize who they were dealing with, that these weren’t just grieving parents.
Nobody has to agree to a police interview — even someone under arrest… I think Isom testified that right after WA hung up on him, her attorney called him and basically said I am representing her you need to deal with me. I’m sure the same deal with DA, HA, CA.

How long is the judge going to make them stay there? Holiday weekend? This has hung jury written all over it. They want to go home. Theyre going to say they can’t reach a verdict. Unless the Court wants to put them up in a hotel for the weekend. Or is sequestration not necessary, can they come back Tuesday and just say they won’t talk to anyone in the meantime? She’s up on four counts and they can’t agree on ONE? That’s bad prosecution. That’s the problem with prosecutors. They’re state employees, they don’t get paid a lot, and when they get a defendant who has any money and can afford better lawyers who get paid a ton, they can’t compete. See, OJ. I’d say we need to pay prosecutors more, but it’s not really worth it because these cases don’t come up very often. The bulk of what they do is plea deals for poor people. And Cappleman is very good, don’t get me wrong. Just not used to having to compete with highly paid private attorneys. This, and the fact that the Adelsons could just not talk to police, shows that the system is badly rigged in favor of the wealthy.
they did a good job - if the jury can't find guilty - it's on the jury - florida people...

I was hopnig for an immediate verdict too but these cases tend to take a long time. Sometimes 4-5 days of deliberation. There is a metric ton of evidence to sift through.

As for the Defense, this Miami dream team started out promising to show beyond ANY doubt that Garcia plotted directly with Charlie Adelson and that Katie had nothing to do with it. Decoste has been throwing tantrums the entire trial and seems to not really be on speaking terms with Kawass. They had to abandon their entire theory mid-way through the trial.

Take away all the drama and theatrics and just look at the facts of the case, Cappleman/Dugan were way more effective than the Defense. If the jury makes it a popularity contest, they might side with the Defense but thats not really their job. It was a bit disturbing to hear the jurors all laugh at Kawass in unison. Lets hope they decide this on the facts.

While we have this pause, could someone be kind enough to help me understand the complaints Dan made against Wendi about financial disclosures she had made, that he said were less than truthful, during their divorce proceedings? I have never been able to understand that, splinter in my memory.
Five months before he'd be killed — on Valentine’s Day 2014 — Markel went on the offensive.

That day he filed a 14-page motion to enforce financial provisions of the couple’s marital settlement agreement.

Markel claimed Adelson filed a false and misleading financial disclosure form that shorted her assets by more than $240,000. He also said she raided the couple’s safe deposit box, taking a 2-carat diamond ring belonging to Markel’s late great-aunt, a Holocaust survivor

I remember that ring issue so well when he was still alive. he offered to buy it from her, he just wanted it back with his family because it was one of the only things that survived the holocaust of his family. Wendi refused to give it back for any price.
By the way, another reason Wendi wanted Dan killed before he left town to visit his girlfriend is that the girlfriend had finally been introduced to the boy and Wendi was going mad in her head that someone who is obviously smarter, prettier, saner, more successful, a new yorker who knows art and culture and has style, is going to be the glamorous stepmom

You know.. I’m starting to worry about Florida juries. I keep thinking about the movie theatre killing over a guy texting and the old fart who brought a gun into the theatre got away with it!!

That sounds like maybe they’re just arguing over which specific charges to find, and not guilt or not guilt. Maybe I’m getting upset over nothing. Does anyone remember how long the jury was out the last time? Did they take long to find Sig guilty?
I thought it was over a day… but I don’t remember specifically.

I haven't really focused on it... but how could the jury find her guilty of 2d degree murder or manslaughter as opposed to to first degree murder? I just can't understand how the evidence could support the lesser included charges. JMO.

I haven't really focused on it... but how could the jury find her guilty of 2d degree murder or manslaughter as opposed to to first degree murder? I just can't understand how the evidence could support the lesser included charges. JMO.
I agree but maybe it’s the solicitation charge? I could see how they might think she’s not guilty of that one. I do… but I could see how others could struggle with that charge.
It has to be first degree, right? They drove hours to kill Dan, twice if not three times. It was as premeditated as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dylanfoxx