GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 *arrests* #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the Adelson’s be paying for Magbanua’s defense? If so, why are Decoste and Kawass after them?
It's a great question, I was wondering this too when Kawass and DeCoste openly fingered CA as the orchestrator, in court during this trial. One speculation is that CA put aside a non-revocable pile of $$$ for KM legal fees in 2016 when she was arrested, with any leftovers being hers once she was acquitted. It would have been in his best interests, of course, to ensure that she had a all-star legal team vs. a public defender. I don't know, however, how any of this would work in practice financially, e.g. blind trusts.

The evidence against CA is overwhelming IMO. If he is unable or unwilling to flip and cooperate, the best he can do is LWOP. What could he be thinking? Are his attorneys trying to convince the prosecutor and CA to work out a deal? Who knows....JMO.

The evidence against CA is overwhelming IMO. If he is unable or unwilling to flip and cooperate, the best he can do is LWOP. What could he be thinking? Are his attorneys trying to convince the prosecutor and CA to work out a deal? Who knows....JMO.

IMO - CA will fight and go to trial. In his mind he always wins. NPD. People aren't people to him, they're just objects in his world. No way is he accepting life in prison. Gigantic ego. Money fixes everything in his mind.

IMO - CA will fight and go to trial. In his mind he always wins. NPD. People aren't people to him, they're just objects in his world. No way is he accepting life in prison. Gigantic ego. Money fixes everything in his mind.

The entire point of a deal would be to NOT give him life in prison, but 25 or 30 years and the hope of a future of some sort, if he tells the truth. No one would take a deal in exchange for life in prison.

The entire point of a deal would be to NOT give him life in prison, but 25 or 30 years and the hope of a future of some sort, if he tells the truth. No one would take aPeople d deal in exchange for life in prison.
The State could go for the death penalty. People do accept a deal for LWOP if the State seeks death.

Could the Adelson’s be paying for Magbanua’s defense? If so, why are Decoste and Kawass after them?

Deep Dive True Crime
Mentour Lawyer

I heard a couple of people question whether the Adelson family (excluding Robert, of course) are paying for Katherine Magbanua’s defense. Their thought is that the defense attorneys could not possibly be paid by the Adelsons when they, in Court, admit to Charlie’s involvement.

I offer you some alternate ways to consider what has happened so far and what it means. Let me know your thoughts.

MOO

Best outcomes for CA in regards to KM case.
  1. Best outcome- KM go to trial, acquitted
  2. Next best- KM go to trial, testify (lie), hung jury
  3. Middle-KM go to trial, testify (lie), guilty
  4. Next worst-KM go to trial, no testify, guilty
  5. Worst-KM cooperate before going to trial.
So in the 2 trials, CA got a 2 and a 3. Leaving two lying fests on the record. Seems CA got a pretty good deal out of his $$. KM lost her best deal, no doubt.

Speculation regarding the phone records and LR's testimony that SG called KM about 1.5 hrs after they left Tally and KM indicated that she already knew that the hit had been done: If WA was a part of the conspiracy, it's possible that she communicated that the hit had been carried out by not making a phone call i.e., there could have been a plan that she would drive by Trescott and that if she did not call DA or CA by a certain time that meant that she saw police activity near Dan's house (although how they would know that the hit was successful and not botched is something I don't know). JMO and total speculation.
I’d thought the same about if someone was verifying the hit was ‘successful’, just seeing police presence on Trescott wouldn’t have necessarily meant that. In the WA police interview right at the start (actually after WA plays him a voicemail she has just listened to from a friend who tells her she heard about a shooting on Trescott), Isom tells her there was a shooting at your ex-husbands home, he was taken to the hospital and he is not going to survive (this was said at about 2:45 pm so 3-4 hours after the shooting). So she knew from then it was unsurvivable, but he was not dead yet. I wonder if it been more ambiguously stated to her what his survival prognosis was, if her reaction would be different .. maybe not.

Really this hit was risky in broad daylight, just like the neighbor saw the Prius driving away and got the first important clue for law enforcement, it was just luck no one saw the plate number or it wasn’t captured on a camera which would have led to the Miami connection much faster. It was luck the assailants had the almost 2 years of freedom from arrest on this that they did (although of course LR was already off the streets on his federal case before being questioned in this case).

It's a great question, I was wondering this too when Kawass and DeCoste openly fingered CA as the orchestrator, in court during this trial. One speculation is that CA put aside a non-revocable pile of $$$ for KM legal fees in 2016 when she was arrested, with any leftovers being hers once she was acquitted. It would have been in his best interests, of course, to ensure that she had a all-star legal team vs. a public defender. I don't know, however, how any of this would work in practice financially, e.g. blind trusts.
Like someone reported earlier Katie was declared indigent in 2020. Government is paying for her attorneys. Why else would they have thrown the Adsolsons under the bus during trial??

I am thinking he also might be the type who suicides or tries to because he is not going to try and endure a prolonged period in custody. MOO

Thanks for sharing this information. What do you make of the fact that he refused to read her book, which was a bone of contention for her?

Of course, if he had he might have known more about his imminent divorce.
How do we know that Dan didn’t read Wendi’s book. Because she said so? I certainly wouldn’t take that to the bank.

Like someone reported earlier Katie was declared indigent in 2020. Government is paying for her attorneys. Why else would they have thrown the Adsolsons under the bus during trial??
I see no reports that KM was declared indigent. A hearing/meeting was held in 2017 regarding who was paying for her legal costs (i.e., were they connected to the Adelsons?). Judge: No connection to Adelsons in suspect's legal fees I see no report or court filings after this in which she was declared indigent.

Attachments

• INDIGENT.png
    INDIGENT.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 29
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics