GUILTY Fl - Diane Ward, 55, Murdered In Her Orlando Home, 21 Sept 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Opening statements just started. It's on TV on Fox 35 and I believe streaming live at wftv.com.

Wow, this is the first time I've perused this case and I'm flabberghasted at the gall of this man. Sorta puts his family on the same bus as the Anthony's huh?

Sure does. Jail house video says it all.

I have a feeling he is going to testify. jmo

While I completely hope he does, I get the impression that given the bizarre beginnings of this saga, he has competent counsel that will dissuade him.

I can't even figure out how the 911 call with him stating he shot someone, becomes allegations of suicide, and then somehow only gets to court with 2nd degree charges. o_O

I still have a heap of reading up to do on this.

OT: My S.O. has been watching the headlines passively about this and it reminds him most of the Phil Spector trial. However, I'm pretty sure Ward's counsel will try to try to diminish and suppress most hearsay or aspects of this guys oddness.

$1m life insurance on her, $20m life insurance on him. I guess she should have shot him.

I missed who this witness is. Anyone know?
Never mind, 911 operator.

I'm skimming numerous news articles but what's astonishing to me, and might explain the second degree deal in all this, the victim's family seem very supportive of Bob Ward, which I find a bit perplexing. It's almost as if these charges are some obligatory as a burden of the State, but I find it very odd that the victim in all this doesn't seem to have any vocal supporters regarding what might have have transpired.

Again only IMO, and I'm still only just getting up to speed on this. But just seems strange that the victim seemingly has no advocates.

I'm skimming numerous news articles but what's astonishing to me, and might explain the second degree deal in all this, the victim's family seem very supportive of Bob Ward, which I find a bit perplexing. It's almost as if these charges are some obligatory as a burden of the State, but I find it very odd that the victim in all this doesn't seem to have any vocal supporters regarding what might have have transpired.

Again only IMO, and I'm still only just getting up to speed on this. But just seems strange that the victim seemingly has no advocates.

Have you watched the jailhouse videos yet when he was first arrested, you really get a sense of the family dynamic. I completely agree with you, no one seems to be standing up for the victim in this case. I did notice during the trial this morning that one of the daughters was crying (or at least I assume it's one of the daughters).

Thanks for 'waking this thread up', corq. It worked. It caught my attention.

An interesting case for sure.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but I see that the jailhouse video will not be allowed as evidence. (I guess that makes sense.)

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/2011/september/304708/Jail-video-thrown-out-in-trial-of-Isleworth-millionaire-accused-of-murder

I also noticed that on the 2nd phone call, when they knew they were being monitored AND they new it would be blasted everywhere by the media, both Bob and his SIL referred to Diane several times. Bob kept saying that he's worried for the kids, on Diane's behalf, while the SIL kept saying, "I'm doing what I think Diane would want me to do. I'm protecting the kids."

Neither ever said they missed her, or how tragic her death was.

They certainly did do a good job keeping this off the radar...today was the first day I heard about this case and I plan to read up on it tonight and watch this trail.

A capsule of yesterday's courtroom testimony here: http://www.wftv.com/news/29202752/detail.html

Some interesting methodology statistics from Suicide.org:

The most common suicide method for men is firearms = 56.8%
The most common suicide method for women is poison (overdosing, etc) = 37.8%

I think the Defense may be attempting to "traverse" the stats here, that DW had ideations, mention of depression, then [as yet inexplicably] decided on a gun for her method because somehow it occurred to her to find the gun. IDK.

Other thought that occurs to me, NOT at all mentioned in *any* of the scenarios so please hold my mention here outside the context of the trial...total conjecture on my part:

Money trouble seems to have a statistical correlation with *murder suicides* and does transcend class barriers - could BW have killed DW with the initial intent of murder-suicide, but then paused at the enormity of having killed DW, and then chickened out? The bond with the children seems sincere, if not perplexing, thinking about writing any note to explain things became too much, and gave him time to have second thoughts about killing himself.

Also: This isn't like some Joe Nobody does this, then has to find a lawyer to help him out. If you're in real estate, you know some lawyers, who of course, know some other lawyers. If you have money, you're going to get pretty decent lawyers; and if your personal counsel is well established, they'll find/refer better lawyers than some poor broke guy who has to look somebody up in the phone book, IMO.

BW ideally had lawyers on retention, and pretty quickly someone would be coaching him on amending his initial statements to obfuscate anything BW had told authorities. Again, conjecture on my part, so take with grain of salt.

Obfuscation, alas, does seem to equate with "Reasonable Doubt" in Florida... so yeh, perfect legal play even with the 911 call admitted to evidence.

Again, I've not heard these ideas floated anywhere else, but they occurred to me.

The impending bankruptcy testimony probably has a lot of bearing on the couple's emotional/mental state. I'm hoping the state has further information to offer on this.

Seems like mixing the gun grip and the trigger wipe specimens together and then getting the DNA test is wrong. They should have each been done on their own, not mixed together.
The crime scene tech gave the lab different specimens and the lab mixed them together.

I just found out about this case and have been following it and looking at talk shows etc.. It is shocking to me how cold this man acts toward his dead wife. I was really shocked when I watched he and his daughter dancing and joking on the jail visit. Does anyone care about this poor murdered woman? I fully expect this man to slide right throught this trial and go right back to his life with just this minor inconvenience of having to go through this trial. This is a Florida jury here. A rich man going to prison for murdering his wife?? I'll believe it when I see it.

I too would be surprised at a conviction, but then juries appear to be a law unto themselves in some cases and this jury may surprise me,

who knows, many juries appear to be unable to apply the law and the instructions the judge gives them to the case before them, when speaking post the verdict many jurors appear to have been considering things that were not part of the jury remit

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/nancy-gr...al-women-do-not-shoot-themselves-in-the-face/

Nancy Grace giver her opinion, I tend to find nancy very OTT and to be over the top at times,

and the stats on the methods of suicides are a red herring, just because most women don't shoot themsleves in the face doesn't mean that every women wouldn't, there may have been female suicides who have shot themselves in the face,

If she was trying to commit suicide, I doubt she was trying to shoot herself in the face. That happened in the struggle for the gun, imo.
Strange family, but you shouldn't convict on strangeness, just evidence, imo.
This jury has it's work cut out for them imo, after the last major trial down there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back