GUILTY FL - Dontrell Melvin, 5 mos, Hallandale Beach, July 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No signs of trauma......Does that mean his parents are going to get off easy??? I feel so conflicted about this news.....

Smothering a child with a pillow leaves no signs of trauma, neither does starving a child to death or letting them die of dehydration.

So now the parents will likely claim the child died of natural causes and they were to scared or too poor to seek help or give him a proper burial? So because they failed to report his death, his body has decomposed to the point that his cause of death cannot be ascertained. They are essentially being rewarded for their crime!!That makes me so mad!! It should be a serious crime to conceal a death so that it makes it harder to prove the cause of death. It should be a serious crime to not report a child who is missing (although Dontrell was never missing, his parent knew where he was!!)

We are seeing to many cases of "missing children" or concealed deaths that parents are walking away from. Sky Metawala has been "mssing" over a year and yet his mother wasn't even charged with a single crime, not even negligence when it was shown that her children were neglected, underfed and probably abused by OCD tendencies to not feed them because it was too messy and not allowing them to sleep in a bed because the beds were "perfect" and not allowed to be messed up.

We are seeing way too many crimes of this nature.

There needs to be very strict state and federal laws that prosecute parents who fail to report a missing child.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/01/2...ecision-for-mother-of-missing-hallandale-boy/

Judge Delays Visitation Decision For Mother Of Missing Hallandale Boy
January 29, 2013 3:40 PM

Brittney Sierra and Calvin Melvin were in family court on Tuesday. The state asked the judge to cut off Sierra’s contact with her children who are currently in state care.

No decision was made and a follow up hearing has been scheduled for February 15th.

Smothering a child with a pillow leaves no signs of trauma, neither does starving a child to death or letting them die of dehydration.

So now the parents will likely claim the child died of natural causes and they were to scared or too poor to seek help or give him a proper burial? So because they failed to report his death, his body has decomposed to the point that his cause of death cannot be ascertained. They are essentially being rewarded for their crime!!That makes me so mad!! It should be a serious crime to conceal a death so that it makes it harder to prove the cause of death. It should be a serious crime to not report a child who is missing (although Dontrell was never missing, his parent knew where he was!!)

We are seeing to many cases of "missing children" or concealed deaths that parents are walking away from. Sky Metawala has been "mssing" over a year and yet his mother wasn't even charged with a single crime, not even negligence when it was shown that her children were neglected, underfed and probably abused by OCD tendencies to not feed them because it was too messy and not allowing them to sleep in a bed because the beds were "perfect" and not allowed to be messed up.

We are seeing way too many crimes of this nature.

There needs to be very strict state and federal laws that prosecute parents who fail to report a missing child.

Perhaps the skeletal remains will yield some evidence, broken hiatal bone, evidence of malnutrition, etc. I agree that this pair will come up with some kind of "we panicked" or didn't have money for a funeral load of hooey. These two don't seem to have a problem turning on each other. Unfortunately, I bet one of them will get a deal for their testimony against the other. However it turns out, I don't think they'll get what's coming to them, in this life anyway. Maybe her Mom who's had her own children removed will testify if they threaten to charge as an accessory. The whole thing is so horrible and beyond sad.

Could Caylee's Law apply here?

ETA - I just read it wasn't passed until 2012...could it be applied retroactively?

I hope the prosecutors consider ALL the possible charges against them such as welfare fraud if they were getting benefits for this child, lying to police, social services, etc (if those are chargeable offenses), improper handling of the dead body, or whatever they can charge them with.

I hope they use her facebook in her trial to show that she seemed quite unconcerned about her child's fate.

just wondering.. is this thread going to be moved to located or awaiting trial? TIA

Could Caylee's Law apply here?

ETA - I just read it wasn't passed until 2012...could it be applied retroactively?

Somewhere back in the thread I linked it but am too lazy to go back and find it :)

Calvin's mugshot showed that he was charged with "Caylee's Law", making knowingly false statements to a police office about a missing child. I think the law is HB 37.

Somewhere back in the thread I linked it but am too lazy to go back and find it :)

Calvin's mugshot showed that he was charged with "Caylee's Law", making knowingly false statements to a police office about a missing child. I think the law is HB 37.

Thanks for that info. This case really gets to me. I hesitate to say more than that because I really would go off on a tangent that might get me a time out.

just wondering.. is this thread going to be moved to located or awaiting trial? TIA

We haven't had an official id yet, afaik. That is why the thread hasn't yet been updated to located.

BS mom is using her fb to comment on BS's page
Her page has been changed now - perfect mom quote removed I think

KAyae.Em.56.jpeg

Didn’t Leave Nobody But the Baby

Thank you! I am glad it is able to be applied retroactively.

The false statements were made after the law was already in effect so it's not retroactive in that respect.

Looking at BS's facebook it seems as though she and the babydaddy had a very rocky relationship that was on again and off again. One post said that she was tired of him beating on her (not sure if she meant physical violence but it seems that way) while others say she is done with him and that he wanted to be single.

What a beautiful boy :(
While I believe there are women who are so under the spell of abuse that their baby could die at the hands of their father and them be too afraid to come forward, this does NOT look like the case here. Her FB pics and statements alone are not that of a ' battered woman' so I hope she doesn't try t hat but I'm sure she will. There will be no way to pin the crime on either I'm afraid and if both lawyers for the parents just point the finger at the other, there will be REASONABLE doubt. :(

In January, Sierra and Melvin were charged with child neglect after the two implicated each other – blaming one another. But now, Melvin is only facing charges for lying to police. His child neglect charge has been dropped. Investigators say Sierra is the one to blame. She is charged with child neglect with bodily harm.

After the couple’s arrest, a mutual friend of the couple told NBC 6 about a text message he received from her. Darnell Toney, Dontrell’s godfather, said that Sierra told him that he needed to come get the baby. He asked her what was wrong.

"She said, 'Well, he's always leaving me with this baby and I can't take this no more.’ She said ‘If you don't come get him, I'm going to get rid of him,'" Toney said.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...inst-Father-of-Dontrell-Melvin-192420921.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Torchy
Back