VERDICT WATCH FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Are you kidding me jury?????? Ugh ugh ugh. Why does state want the Allen charge read already? Let them go home and come back fresh tomorrow. There hasn’t been enough time to throw in the towel. They’re tired. It’s been a long day. It sounds like they didn’t know they could say we want to be done for the day.

JMO
IMO they would’ve never asked for that if they didn’t feel the jury may come back hung or NG.

Can the judge not set a limit of say 10pm?
It sounds like it’s his preference to let jurors set their own schedule. It’s punishing to his staff and I’m not sure how smart it is to let a tired jury that wants it over with make such an important decision this late in the day.

It sounds like it’s his preference to let jurors set their own schedule. It’s punishing to his staff and I’m not sure how smart it is to let a tired jury that wants it over with make such an important decision this late in the day.
I don't think it is smart at all. The impression the judge gave is that being unable to agree is not acceptable...no other encouragement etc. They now want to go home and are in there and if they come back with anything other than hung I don't trust the verdict. Since he did not give Allen is he going to do that at this hour if they come back again?

I don't think it is smart at all. The impression the judge gave is that being unable to agree is not acceptable...no other encouragement etc. They now want to go home and are in there and if they come back with anything other than hung I don't trust the verdict.
6 hours of deliberation is not that long. they should go home and hit it again tomorrow.

I don't think it is smart at all. The impression the judge gave is that being unable to agree is not acceptable...no other encouragement etc. They now want to go home and are in there and if they come back with anything other than hung I don't trust the verdict. Since he did not give Allen is he going to do that at this hour if they come back again?
Cathy Russom is predicting they will come back and say they’re hung. They don’t know the Allen charge is coming if they do that. They prob think he’s going to declare a mistrial if they come back a 2nd time saying they’re deadlocked. I think if they don’t reach a verdict today. They’re coming back tomorrow after Allen charge is read.

And IIUC once that direction (or charge / instruction) is given, the jury can only be sent back one (last) time with that charge. And if they return and indicate still hung, it is concluded. Mistrial declared I believe. IANAL. MOO

That was the rule in Massachusetts. It isn't necessarily true that it applies to Florida.

Cathy Russom is predicting they will come back and say they’re hung. They don’t know the Allen charge is coming if they do that. They prob think he’s going to declare a mistrial if they come back a 2nd time saying they’re deadlocked. I think if they don’t reach a verdict today. They’re coming back tomorrow after Allen charge is read.
This trial was fast moving. I don't get why coming back fresh tomorrow is not a good option. Court has a full staff just waiting now. I think they are well within the time the court said the trial would take.

posts and video clips now I’m seeing on X showing the brief moment after Judge told them to decide if they wanna go home, you can hear the voice of a juror say something that sounds like “there’s no other option” before the Judge tells them he needs them to discuss what he said first.

Sorry no link as it’s only been posted by true crime creators I follow so can’t post a link to them here as a source but I wanted to mention it here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back