FL - Dr Teresa Sievers, 46, murdered in home, Bonita Springs, June 2015 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NG did bring up something interesting that I wasn't aware of..... it was how they can now detect DNA in a more sensitive way? NG used a term, not sure but may have referred to it as 'touch DNA'? Versus blood, saliva, hair, etc. Anyone else catch that? Seems she said that referring to the van but I would think they'd test for that all other places too.

Thanks Riversinthedesert. Didn't know if I missed something on NG or not. I've only viewed NG 2 times that the TS case was discussed---the 2nd time is when she brought up TS's possible transportation home from the airport, wondering if there were cameras at the parking pay booths, also discussed traffic cams on route to TS Jarvis home. Has NG had a 3rd show discussing TS or not? After NG's 1st show regarding this case, any discussion on air there after fell to a later time during her broadcast as more current/active cases take the frontline.

? IIRC means what....?

IIRC = "If I Recall Correctly"

Here is a thread with various WS acronyms...

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?84535-Websleuths-Lingo&highlight=Websleuths+lingo

HTH...:seeya:

NG did bring up something interesting that I wasn't aware of..... it was how they can now detect DNA in a more sensitive way? NG used a term, not sure but may have referred to it as 'touch DNA'? Versus blood, saliva, hair, etc. Anyone else catch that? Seems she said that referring to the van but I would think they'd test for that all other places too.

I watched the NG segment you're referring to where "touch" DNA was discussed.

Here is a good summary of how touch DNA is processed:

"the technique has dramatically increased the number of items of evidence that can be used for DNA detection. In the 1980s, in order to perform DNA analysis on a crime scene or victim, forensic investigators needed a blood or semen stain about the size of a quarter. The sample size fell in the 1990s to the size of a dime and then became: “If you can see it, you can analyze it.”

Touch DNA doesn’t require you to see anything, or any blood or semen at all. It only requires seven or eight cells from the outermost layer of our skin.

Here’s how it works: Investigators recover cells from the scene, then use a process called polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to make lots of copies of the genes. Next, scientists mix in fluorescent compounds that attach themselves to 13 specific locations on the DNA and give a highly specific genetic portrait of that person. The whole process takes a few days, and forensic labs are often backed up analyzing data from other cases."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/experts-touch-dna-jonbenet-ramsey/

Which may be why things are dragging along so slowly.....but...our major crimes unit did manage to solve a recent triple homicide very quickly. Our local news websites are nbc-2.com or abc-7.com. Donald Trump would have a field day with that one

Well, comb down..

-Nin

There were only a few shows before NG fell silent along with everyone else (not typical for NG, unless LE told them not to cover). Think there may have been 3 shows but not sure. Topics covered included the security cameras, airport & possible route home, forensic expert on blood spatter, etc.

5NG shows, that I know of:

July 09, 2015
• Dr. Sievers Murder Investigation Developments

July 08, 2015
• Sievers` Murder Not Random, Say Cops

July 07, 2015
• Florida Doctor Murder Developments

July 02, 2015
• Florida Doctor Murdered With Hammer

July 01, 2015
• Florida Physician Found Murdered

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/ng.html

FYI

Please scroll and roll if you see a post you don't like or hit your alert button. It's the triangle on the bottom left of the post. We mods will be glad to help you.

:tyou:

. . . . And we did see at one time on the LCSO's website that they stated the case had been turned over to another agency, which indicates at least to me, that it must be a Federal agency because what other agency is there that's not Federal? There's the FBI and the DEA and Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms - all Federal. Am I missing another agency that could be local at the county level?

The agency assisting LCSO in the investigation of Sievers murder is FDLE (Florida Department of Law Enforcement), according to local Fox 4 facebook page posting on August 13:
https://www.facebook.com/Fox4FortMyers

• Fox 4 We've done stories since July 8th. We're still monitoring, but there's not much to report lately, other than that FDLE is assisting the investigation.
      Reply · August 13 at 12:25pm

IHAVENOCLUE, thanks for the answer and acronyms link---much appreciated.

creepingskills, thank you for the 'touch DNA' info---very interesting. Amazing they can do so much more now with and for DNA evidence!

NIN, thanks for posting all those NG show links. I missed 3 of those shows! I'll check out the transcripts.

Like the rest of you, I hope everyday for an arrest. Oh well, patience.

The agency assisting LCSO in the investigation of Sievers murder is FDLE (Florida Department of Law Enforcement), according to local Fox 4 facebook page posting on August 13:
https://www.facebook.com/Fox4FortMyers

• Fox 4 We've done stories since July 8th. We're still monitoring, but there's not much to report lately, other than that FDLE is assisting the investigation.
      Reply · August 13 at 12:25pm

Fox 4 noted FDLE is assisting the investigation (8/13/15 Facebook post)
More information - I found the following on LCSO website -
Disposition - TURNED OVER TO OTHER AGENCY
http://www.sheriffleefl.org/main/in...IncidentSearchForm[address]=jarvis&yt0=Search

Occured Date Incident Type Address City Disposition Incident Number
2015-06-29 09:43:24 DEATH INVEST 27034 JARVIS RD BONITA SPRINGS TURNED OVER TO OTHER AGENCY 15-268297

FDLE would be the "OTHER AGENCY" if Fox 4 Facebook post is accurate.

Fox 4 noted FDLE is assisting the investigation (8/13/15 Facebook post)
More information - I found the following on LCSO website -
Disposition - TURNED OVER TO OTHER AGENCY
http://www.sheriffleefl.org/main/in...IncidentSearchForm[address]=jarvis&yt0=Search

2015-06-29 09:43:24 DEATH INVEST 27034 JARVIS RD BONITA SPRINGS TURNED OVER TO OTHER AGENCY 15-268297

FDLE would be the "OTHER AGENCY" if Fox 4 Facebook post is accurate.

It would not make sense to instantly (same minute) turn over a LCSO case to the FDLE. I really think they called in the Major Crimes unit. FDLE may assist in the forensic sector for example. There is a big backlog on DNA testing/profiling. I can see the State agency helping out here. Just my thoughts of course. Also, LCSO is still leading the investigation.

-Nin

It would not make sense to instantly (same minute) turn over a LCSO case to the FDLE. I really think they called in the Major Crimes unit. FDLE may assist in the forensic sector for example. There is a big backlog on DNA testing/profiling. I can see the State agency helping out here. Just my thoughts of course. Also, LCSO is still leading the investigation.

-Nin

LCSO isn't still leading the investigation. According to LCSO website, the Death Investigation is "TURNED OVER TO OTHER AGENCY".

http://www.sheriffleefl.org/main/in...ntSearchForm[address]=27034+jarvis&yt0=Search

Could it be that the FDLE is handling the forensics in this case? IIRC didn't the sheriff say that they drove some evidence to another location out of town so they could get the best results or something to that effect? Now that weeks have passed it's harder and harder to remember everything from the beginning.

Early on I did hear the sheriff say to reporters that they (LE) physically "drove evidence" so it would arrive faster at it's destination vs waiting for the usual pickup and delivery. At the time I assumed the destination for that evidence was a lab.

Early on I did hear the sheriff say to reporters that they (LE) physically "drove evidence" so it would arrive faster at it's destination vs waiting for the usual pickup and delivery. At the time I assumed the destination for that evidence was a lab.

News report one week after murder:
JULY 7, 2015 http://www.winknews.com/2015/07/07/lee-county-sheriff-scott-breaks-silence-on-sievers-murder-case/

[Sheriff] Scott did talk about the evidence.
“To give you an example of how tenacious we are with this, we physically drove the first batch of priority evidence to the lab. We didn’t wait for FedEx, we physically got in the car and drove it there,” said Scott.
That evidence includes the family’s van, as well as a side door. He also said they are using an laboratory outside Lee County to get quicker answers.

I wonder how long it takes for death benefits to be paid out by the life insurance company? It would be interesting to know if Dr. Siever's life insurance was paid to the policy benificiary or is being held up while the murder investigation is still underway.

JMO

fancyfree: Maybe, but considering the circumstances that this is a homicide, there may be some complications when it comes to receiving the cash for life insurance. I believe that is one of the first thing the police would investigate - murder for insurance money is a common crime - but due to the length of the investigation, I doubt that any suspects would arise from that theory.

News report one week after murder:
JULY 7, 2015 http://www.winknews.com/2015/07/07/lee-county-sheriff-scott-breaks-silence-on-sievers-murder-case/

[Sheriff] Scott did talk about the evidence.
“To give you an example of how tenacious we are with this, we physically drove the first batch of priority evidence to the lab. We didn’t wait for FedEx, we physically got in the car and drove it there,” said Scott.
That evidence includes the family’s van, as well as a side door. He also said they are using an laboratory outside Lee County to get quicker answers.

I wonder what was the time of death for the victim. At least there will be better forensic work from state CID, I presume if that is what FDLS are.

Hey guys, I wonder if it's any trouble if you can list me any type of statements/clues left at the scene. I want to check out the facts of the case, without looking through every post of this thread. Thanks for reading this, and considering this request. Otherwise, you have a nice day, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member