FL - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 40 counts to classified documents and obstruction of justice, June 2023, Trial May 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My hope is that judge Cannon knows she is being closely watched based on her botching those prior motions where the 11th circuit court of appeals had to harshly reprimand her and she will do what is expected of a judge in this circumstance, instead of trying to please Trump.
DJT's "leadership" style (and I use that term VERY loosely) is transactional. Tit-for-tat. He chose no one for his cabinet, inner circle, or bench appointments without expecting something to personally benefit him in return. I am convinced DJT has 'the goods' on many if not most of these people. Which explains the illogical loyalty (to a degree).
I 100% believe part of the contents of all those boxes is what he uses to control the sycophants.

Former President Donald Trump is set to face a jury trial on federal charges of mishandling classified information, after the Miami judge overseeing the case signed an order Tuesday scheduling the trial to begin Aug. 14.

U.S. District Judge Aileen M. Cannon, whom Trump appointed to her seat on the federal bench in the Southern District of Florida, signed an order calling for the mid-August start date “or as soon thereafter as the case may be called.”

It will be the first time a former U.S. president is tried on criminal charges.

Delays in a trial are not uncommon, and Cannon said Trump’s case, which is relatively complex and will require security clearances, could be pushed back.

All pre-trial motions must be filed by July 24, according to the order. The trial’s start date is subject to change, and Cannon scheduled a calendar call for the parties to check in on Aug. 8.

The trial is expected to take two weeks, she wrote. If the schedule holds, Trump’s trial would likely end well before the Republican presidential caucuses and primaries, in which polls show Trump is the leading candidate.

Cannon’s order also means the federal trial could occur before Trump’s separate New York state trial for felony business fraud, even though a New York state grand jury indicted Trump three months before the federal indictment was unsealed.

The state trial, in which Trump is accused of illegally using campaign money in 2016 to pay hush money to adult film actress Stormy Daniels, is expected to begin in March.

My hope is that judge Cannon knows she is being closely watched based on her botching those prior motions where the 11th circuit court of appeals had to harshly reprimand her and she will do what is expected of a judge in this circumstance, instead of trying to please Trump.
Just like his friends in Congress, the Senate, the Supreme Court and everywhere else? It’s never ending with these people! IMO

Former President Donald Trump is set to face a jury trial on federal charges of mishandling classified information, after the Miami judge overseeing the case signed an order Tuesday scheduling the trial to begin Aug. 14.

U.S. District Judge Aileen M. Cannon, whom Trump appointed to her seat on the federal bench in the Southern District of Florida, signed an order calling for the mid-August start date “or as soon thereafter as the case may be called.”

It will be the first time a former U.S. president is tried on criminal charges.

Delays in a trial are not uncommon, and Cannon said Trump’s case, which is relatively complex and will require security clearances, could be pushed back.

All pre-trial motions must be filed by July 24, according to the order. The trial’s start date is subject to change, and Cannon scheduled a calendar call for the parties to check in on Aug. 8.

The trial is expected to take two weeks, she wrote. If the schedule holds, Trump’s trial would likely end well before the Republican presidential caucuses and primaries, in which polls show Trump is the leading candidate.

Cannon’s order also means the federal trial could occur before Trump’s separate New York state trial for felony business fraud, even though a New York state grand jury indicted Trump three months before the federal indictment was unsealed.

The state trial, in which Trump is accused of illegally using campaign money in 2016 to pay hush money to adult film actress Stormy Daniels, is expected to begin in March.
I have no doubt that the trial will be delayed... MOO.

absolutely no doubt it will be delayed but there is a date on the calendar now so it will just keep moving, but it is there. Extensions can be 14 days, or 90 days or more, and they can keep filing stipulations or requests for additional extensions but I find some Satisfaction that there is a Trial Date. (Capitalized those words only because it seemed like something the defendant would do and I'm feeling giddy now =)

Is there a link to this Judge's Order? I would like to read it.

Here's a link to Judge Reinhart's protective order about discovery materials:

Excerpt:
Defendants and Defense Counsel shall not disclose the Discovery Materials or their contents directly or indirectly to any person or entity other than persons employed to assist in the defense, persons who are interviewed as potential witnesses, counsel for potential witnesses, and other persons to whom the Court may authorize disclosure (collectively, “Authorized Persons”). Before providing materials to an Authorized Person, Defense Counsel must provide the Authorized Person with a copy of this Order, and Defense Counsel shall obtain from each person to whom disclosure will be made a signed Protected Discovery Material Agreement (“Agreement”) available as Attachment A to the Order in which the recipient (1) acknowledges the restrictions set forth in this Order, and (2) agrees that he/she will not further disclose or disseminate the Discovery Materials. Defense Counsel shall keep a copy of each signed Agreement to identify the individuals who received the Discovery Materials and the date on which such information was first disclosed. No disclosure is permitted to any individual or entity that has not signed such Agreement, except by further order of the Court. Potential witnesses and counsel for potential witnesses may be shown copies of the Discovery Materials as necessary to prepare the defense, but they may not retain copies without prior permission of the Court.

The former president was interviewed by Fox News' Bret Baier, who pressed Trump on one of the most notable parts of the indictment that outlines the 37 federal charges against him.

Prosecutors wrote in the indictment that on July 21, 2021, Trump allegedly showed what he called "secret information" to other people at his club in Bedminster, New Jersey, and acknowledged it was still classified and "highly confidential."

According to the indictment, Trump allegedly said the information was "done by the military and given to me" and appeared to indicate it was related to plans for attacking a foreign country.

The alleged exchange was recorded, prosecutors wrote.

On Fox News on Monday, however, Trump pushed back when Baier cited that part of the indictment.

"It wasn't a document, OK? I had lots of paper -- I had copies of newspaper articles, I had copies of magazines," he said.

“There was no document. That was a massive amount of papers and everything else talking about Iran and other things. And it may have been held up or may not, but that was not a document," Trump said. "I didn't have a document per se. There was nothing to declassify. These were newspaper stories, magazine stories and articles.”

ABC News previously reported that the recording was made during part of a book interview Trump gave and was subsequently obtained by federal prosecutors.

ABC News also reported earlier this monththat Trump's attorneys had not located the material Trump was referencing in the recording from 2021.

The host noted, for example, that National Archives officials wanted Trump to return the documents he took, and when he refused, they went to the Justice Department to issue a subpoena.

The former president quickly interjected, “Which they’ve never done before.” That’s true, but it’s not an argument that helps him: Officials never had to subpoena a former president before because we've never before had a former president who took classified materials and refused to give them back.

When Baier followed up with the obvious question — why not just return the documents? — Trump initially answered:

“Because I had a boxes. I want to go through the boxes and get all my personal things out. I don’t want to hand that over to NARA yet, and I was very busy, as you’ve sort of seen. I’ve been very, very busy.”

The Fox anchor quickly reminded his guest that, according to prosecutors, he proceeded to have aides move boxes around as part of his cover-up attempt, and encouraged his lawyers to deceive federal law enforcement. Oddly enough, Trump didn’t exactly deny the allegations:

“Before I send boxes over, I have to take all of my things out. These boxes were interspersed with all sorts of things: Golf shirts, clothing, pants, shoes, there were many things.”

His latest defense, articulated to a national television audience yesterday, basically comes down to two points:
  1. He was busy.
  2. He was worried about losing some golf attire.
The first point is untrue. The former president had a year and a half to go through the boxes he took, which was more than enough time. The second point is hilarious, but not much of a legal defense: Trump could’ve complied with the law, but he apparently chose not to because he had clothing “interspersed” with the classified materials he allegedly stole.

A wealthy man such as Trump, eager to avoid a felony conviction, presumably could've bought new clothes if he’d accidentally given them to the Justice Department. But apparently the “golf shirts, clothing, pants, [and] shoes” that he kept with the classified documents were important to him.

Trump and his allies have come up with some foolish talking points in the wake of his indictment. Last night's arguments were even worse.

The former president was interviewed by Fox News' Bret Baier, who pressed Trump on one of the most notable parts of the indictment that outlines the 37 federal charges against him.

Prosecutors wrote in the indictment that on July 21, 2021, Trump allegedly showed what he called "secret information" to other people at his club in Bedminster, New Jersey, and acknowledged it was still classified and "highly confidential."

According to the indictment, Trump allegedly said the information was "done by the military and given to me" and appeared to indicate it was related to plans for attacking a foreign country.

The alleged exchange was recorded, prosecutors wrote.

On Fox News on Monday, however, Trump pushed back when Baier cited that part of the indictment.

"It wasn't a document, OK? I had lots of paper -- I had copies of newspaper articles, I had copies of magazines," he said.

“There was no document. That was a massive amount of papers and everything else talking about Iran and other things. And it may have been held up or may not, but that was not a document," Trump said. "I didn't have a document per se. There was nothing to declassify. These were newspaper stories, magazine stories and articles.”

ABC News previously reported that the recording was made during part of a book interview Trump gave and was subsequently obtained by federal prosecutors.

ABC News also reported earlier this monththat Trump's attorneys had not located the material Trump was referencing in the recording from 2021.
BBM. Who the heck keeps a MASSIVE amount of paper and magazine stories about themselves? He's an incredible narcissist who apparently has never learned how to use a computer.

JMO

Based on what I've read about his interview on Fox with Bret Baier today, he is perfectly capable of doing himself in. It sounds like Baier didn't let him get away with his lies and nonsense. MOO

From the interview:
But Baier then pointed out to the former president that many of those "best and most serious people" no longer support him:

This time, your Vice President Mike Pence is running against you. Your ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, she's running against you. Your former Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, said he's not supporting you.

You mentioned National Security Adviser John Bolton. He's not supporting you either. You mentioned Attorney General Bill Barr. Says you shouldn't be president again. Calls you 'the consummate narcissist' and 'troubled man.' You recently called Barr a 'gutless pig.'"

Your second defense secretary is not supporting you. Called you irresponsible. This week, you called your White House Chief of Staff John Kelly 'weak and ineffective' and 'born with a very small brain.' You called your acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney a 'born loser.' You called your first Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson, 'dumb as a rock,' and your first Defense Secretary, James Mattis, 'the world's most overrated general.' You called your White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany 'milquetoast.'

And multiple times, you've referred to your Transportation secretary, Elaine Chao, as 'Mitch McConnell's China-loving wife.'

"So, why did you hire all of them in the first place?" Baier asked.

The host noted, for example, that National Archives officials wanted Trump to return the documents he took, and when he refused, they went to the Justice Department to issue a subpoena.

The former president quickly interjected, “Which they’ve never done before.” That’s true, but it’s not an argument that helps him: Officials never had to subpoena a former president before because we've never before had a former president who took classified materials and refused to give them back.

When Baier followed up with the obvious question — why not just return the documents? — Trump initially answered:

“Because I had a boxes. I want to go through the boxes and get all my personal things out. I don’t want to hand that over to NARA yet, and I was very busy, as you’ve sort of seen. I’ve been very, very busy.”

The Fox anchor quickly reminded his guest that, according to prosecutors, he proceeded to have aides move boxes around as part of his cover-up attempt, and encouraged his lawyers to deceive federal law enforcement. Oddly enough, Trump didn’t exactly deny the allegations:

“Before I send boxes over, I have to take all of my things out. These boxes were interspersed with all sorts of things: Golf shirts, clothing, pants, shoes, there were many things.”

His latest defense, articulated to a national television audience yesterday, basically comes down to two points:
  1. He was busy.
  2. He was worried about losing some golf attire.
The first point is untrue. The former president had a year and a half to go through the boxes he took, which was more than enough time. The second point is hilarious, but not much of a legal defense: Trump could’ve complied with the law, but he apparently chose not to because he had clothing “interspersed” with the classified materials he allegedly stole.

A wealthy man such as Trump, eager to avoid a felony conviction, presumably could've bought new clothes if he’d accidentally given them to the Justice Department. But apparently the “golf shirts, clothing, pants, [and] shoes” that he kept with the classified documents were important to him.

Trump and his allies have come up with some foolish talking points in the wake of his indictment. Last night's arguments were even worse.

If I have clothes that I haven't worn for a year and a half, I think they aren't all that important to me and donate them to the Sally Ann.

BBM. Who the heck keeps a MASSIVE amount of paper and magazine stories about themselves? He's an incredible narcissist who apparently has never learned how to use a computer.

JMO
So much to cut out, frame and hang in the guest bathrooms, so little time! Just put the boxes in there instead! Brilliant time saving man! Said no one. IMO

RSBM

Funnily enough, Mark Meadows describes in his book (on page 6) that it was a ...."four-page report typed up by Mark Milley himself. It contained the general's own plan to attack Iran, deploying massive numbers of troops".

Amazon - sample of The Chief's Chief by Mark Meadows, Former Chief of Staff to President Donald J Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anyclimate3010