FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #13 *1 guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Denied on every possible front. The thing that struck me the most in this hearing was how passive El Maestro was being. I expected him to be all up in his attorneys' grill, directing things, taking notes, etc. He just sat there dull and flat and at times flashing anger at the Judge and Georgia. But mostly passive.

Denied on every possible front. The thing that struck me the most in this hearing was how passive El Maestro was being. I expected him to be all up in his attorneys' grill, directing things, taking notes, etc. He just sat there dull and flat and at times flashing anger at the Judge and Georgia. But mostly passive.
Maybe he’s resigned a bit to his fate. He must be so pissed though.
Imagine how the conversations would have gone had he gone back to Miami.
Maybe he’s used to substances though that kind of hype him up and he’s not using right now?

New news to me is that CA and HA likely discussed the bump and payoff.
Also, that HA is transferring cash to CA on the order of 10s of thousands.
HA states to CA that he has north of $300k of cash at the ready.
I also learned that CA's dental practice nets him $3 million annually.

OK, with all of CA's resources, why is HA passing to him tens-of-thousands of dollars, and readying hundreds-of-thousands?
$26,000 is a pittance.
Is CA that cheap that he wants his Dad to pay up for his portion of the financial burden?

New news to me is that CA and HA likely discussed the bump and payoff.
Also, that HA is transferring cash to CA on the order of 10s of thousands.
HA states to CA that he has north of $300k of cash at the ready.
I also learned that CA's dental practice nets him $3 million annually.

OK, with all of CA's resources, why is HA passing to him tens-of-thousands of dollars, and readying hundreds-of-thousands?
$26,000 is a pittance.
Is CA that cheap that he wants his Dad to pay up for his portion of the financial burden?
Agreed. Huge news!!

Does anyone know the podcast referenced by his Defense in which State Attorney Cappelman allegedly said something to the effect of “you could always make it out if you labored through it” (referring to the audio recording & his attorney’s argument that “nothing has changed” despite ‘enhanced recording’) ?

Thanks in advance

Just now watching the hearing and why is Cappelman doing this tedious PowerPoint recitation of the evidence in the trial that JUST ended!? This judge already knows all this evidence. Heck even we are fully aware of all this key evidence. I’ve never heard a PP presentation at a bond hearing. Just make your argument! I know folks here like her but her monotone voice and this whole recitation is so tedious.

I guess she’s opting for this instead of calling witnesses. But I thought a bond hearing would be quick and painless. She has to introduce all this evidence? Isn’t it enough to say he’s a flight risk as another commenter pointed out?

Does anyone know the podcast referenced by his Defense in which State Attorney Cappelman allegedly said something to the effect of “you could always make it out if you labored through it” (referring to the audio recording & his attorney’s argument that “nothing has changed” despite ‘enhanced recording’) ?

Thanks in advance
Surviving the Survivor. Interesting podcast that does quite a bit of coverage on this case.

Y’all we have entered the varsity level of defense attorneys. There will be no tears in Charlie Adelson’s defense. He’s making good arguments re the evidence. This will be a good fight! I liked that he used Cappelman’s words from the podcast against her. She shouldn’t be doing that.

Just now watching the hearing and why is Cappelman doing this tedious PowerPoint recitation of the evidence in the trial that JUST ended!? This judge already knows all this evidence. Heck even we are fully aware of all this key evidence. I’ve never heard a PP presentation at a bond hearing. Just make your argument! I know folks here like her but her monotone voice and this whole recitation is so tedious.

I guess she’s opting for this instead of calling witnesses. But I thought a bond hearing would be quick and painless. She has to introduce all this evidence? Isn’t it enough to say he’s a flight risk as another commenter pointed out?
Respectfully, that's not the way a bond hearing works for defendants charged with a capital offense or an offense punishable by life imprisonment.

The prosecutor was not merely "reciting a PowerPoint" but had the burden at today's hearing to satisfy the Court's test that proof was evident and presumption great where the Court has no discretion to allow bail, and bail release is denied pursuant to statute and the Florida State Constitution.

The Court was in fact deciding whether or not CA was required by law to remain incarerated until he's either convicted or acquitted. To be clear, using evidence from KM's bond hearing and/or trial before the same trier of fact is no substitution for CA's own hearing!

1. Does a trial court have discretion to grant bail to a defendant who is charged with a capital offense or an offense punishable by life imprisonment and the proof of guilt is evident and the presumption great? 2. Does the accused or the state, in a capital case or a case involving life imprisonment where the accused is seeking to be admitted to bail, have the burden of proof on the issue of whether the proof of guilt is evident and the presumption great?
Id. at 100.

We answer the questions by holding, (1) that when a person accused of a capital offense or an offense punishable by life imprisonment seeks release on bail, it is within the discretion of the court to grant or deny bail when the proof of guilt is evident or the presumption great; and, (2) that before the court can deny bail the state must have carried the burden of establishing that the proof of guilt is evident or the presumption great.

ETA: Had the state prosecutor failed to satisfy the test before the Court that proof was evident and presumption great, the Judge would have been bound by law and the Florida State Constitution to grant CA bail. :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member