GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One could make the argument that Wendi didn't know that the Publix on Thomasville near Mozaik had a liquor store but I don't buy it even though the total drive time was about 20-25 minutes on the route she took.
Lacasse told TPD that she was basically an alcoholic and often "drank her dinner". I find it hard to believe that she was regularly driving 15 miles out of her way to the furthest liquor store in town to re-up on booze. Just not believable.

Lacasse told TPD that she was basically an alcoholic and often "drank her dinner". I find it hard to believe that she was regularly driving 15 miles out of her way to the furthest liquor store in town to re-up on booze. Just not believable.
What was the name of the liquor store she went to that day? I think someone said it was very large. If true, that could be an explanation for why she went there, especially if she wanted a particular brand. (Not advocating, just playing devil's advocate.)

So I was watching CourtTV's Closing Arguments with Vinnie Politan segment on this case from last night. And a guest was saying that Wendi was playing damsel in distress and manipulated Donna by acting like she was in such an abusive marriage. That Wendi was not exactly a victim of Donna's manipulations in all of this but that she is also a manipulator and had a hand in precipitating the decision to murder Danny.

The evidence is that Wendi told Donna she wanted to put things behind her and move on in peace. She was looking at buying property in Tally, which upset Donna and Charlie so much that they conspired to talk her out of it. From the emails it also appears that Wendi understandably doesn't like to tell Donna all her business. The emails from Donna to Wendi appear to be desperately attempting to convice Wendi that she needs to FIGHT Dan more. All the strategizing about how to make Dan's life more miserable is coming from Donna. I think if there were damning emails from Wendi, Georgia would've confronted her with them in her direct exam. Once the bump happens, no one calls Wendi. All the communication is between Donna and Charlie & Charlie and Harvey.

The idea that Wendi is the covert puppet master doesn't fly. You'd really have to stretch to get there. JMO

So I was watching CourtTV's Closing Arguments with Vinnie Politan segment on this case from last night. And a guest was saying that Wendi was playing damsel in distress and manipulated Donna by acting like she was in such an abusive marriage. That Wendi was not exactly a victim of Donna's manipulations in all of this but that she is also a manipulator and had a hand in precipitating the decision to murder Danny.

The evidence is that Wendi told Donna she wanted to put things behind her and move on in peace. She was looking at buying property in Tally, which upset Donna and Charlie so much that they conspired to talk her out of it. From the emails it also appears that Wendi understandably doesn't like to tell Donna all her business. The emails from Donna to Wendi appear to be desperately attempting to convice Wendi that she needs to FIGHT Dan more. All the strategizing about how to make Dan's life more miserable is coming from Donna. I think if there were damning emails from Wendi, Georgia would've confronted her with them in her direct exam. Once the bump happens, no one calls Wendi. All the communication is between Donna and Charlie & Charlie and Harvey.

The idea that Wendi is the covert puppet master doesn't fly. You'd really have to stretch to get there. JMO
BBM -

Maybe, but just maybe Georgia doesn't want to play all of her cards in case Wendi is indicted. I don't there's any chance CA/DA would've taken out DM without telling Wendi and getting some necessary info from her.

She told the police she left the house earlier than records indicate she did.

She said she was “running late,” and she did not have time to shower.

Why tell the police you left with plenty of time for a 1pm lunch, but also tell them that you were running late which explains your unshowered appearance?

something is not adding up for me.

If you believe Wendi to be a narcissist, then it follows that pathological lying could be part of her makeup. Pathological liars always sprinkle in some truths to keep the game going.

Once the bump happens, no one calls Wendi. All the communication is between Donna and Charlie & Charlie and Harvey.

RSBM. I understand what you're saying and in the first Donna-Charlie wiretap call after the bump, Donna tells Charlie that it involves the two of them, and explicitly says it does not involve Wendi. The only thing I want to point out is that Donna's phone was not wiretapped. So it's possible she did call Wendi about it. But there's no evidence that she did.

I said it before: I believe WA's plan was to ride to Trescott (on some pretense like dropping off something for the boys), discover the police scene, and stage her shock performance then and there. Roadblock threw her off and she panicked turning around. Also accounts for her appearance. Only other possibility would be to just drive by, but that would have been too risky.

I said it before: I believe WA's plan was to ride to Trescott (on some pretense like dropping off something for the boys), discover the police scene, and stage her shock performance then and there. Roadblock threw her off and she panicked turning around. Also accounts for her appearance. Only other possibility would be to just drive by, but that would have been too risky.
She had restaurant plans with friends at 1pm. She would need to explain that. JMO.

Exactly. They were scheduled to be at daycare, but what if they weren't - say one of them is sick or maybe Dan wanted to keep them home cause it was his last day with them. Wendi has to come up with some way of communicating with him figuring out the kids plans that day and she landed on "I'd like to pick up the boys early".

I mentioned awhile back that I went through a divorce with toddlers. A very amicable one. And the daycare and every school since has required a copy of our separation agreement. This was a contentious divorce. One where Donna Adelson was going behind his back to the daycare and instructing the teachers to give his kids regular hotdogs and not worry about the kosher BS. Pretty safe to assume this daycare was well aware of and even had specific instructions around the pickup-drop-off schedule.
Interesting, haven't heard these things...tell us more or where I can read it

But how did the liquor store fit into the prior plan, if that was the plan? Or was ir a spur of the moment decision after the Trescott turnaround? To explain the route?

Last edited:
RSBM. I understand what you're saying and in the first Donna-Charlie wiretap call after the bump, Donna tells Charlie that it involves the two of them, and explicitly says it does not involve Wendi. The only thing I want to point out is that Donna's phone was not wiretapped. So it's possible she did call Wendi about it. But there's no evidence that she did.
This. Donna refuses to forward Charlie a picture of the "paperwork" (news article about Dan Markel's murder) and doesn't want to talk on the phone or in her apartment. And while she's talking in code just in case the cops are listening, she also happens to make a statement or two that seems to exculpate Wendi. That is not proof of Wendi's innocence.

Charlie: "Is this about Wendi?"
Donna: "No. No. No. No. No."

Charlie is confused. Why is Charlie assuming it could be about Wendi? He doesn't quite catch on. Not until he finds out its about a TV.

Charlie also tells Magbanua that his mom hasn't told his Dad yet because he would fly off the handle. This has been used as exculpatory evidence that Harvey didn't know about the murder. Could be. Could also be that Harvey didn't yet know about potential gang members approaching Donna on the street and demanding $5,000 in relation to the murder. In fact, that seems far more likely to me given that he was dropping off bags of mouldy cash at Charlie's house the night of the murder.

Harvey is puzzled in Matsuri as to why they never approached Wendi. And then he wonders why they went to Donna and not him.

Lunch would have been cancelled, of course. But it wasn’t. And then the police walked in.
Yes, I wasn’t clear. My point was (per the post I was responding to) if, when she happened upon the scene, her attire didn’t match her lunch plans, that could be seen as suspicious. But, as we know, she actually did wind up going to the restaurant looking a bit disheveled.

This. Donna refuses to forward Charlie a picture of the "paperwork" (news article about Dan Markel's murder) and doesn't want to talk on the phone or in her apartment. And while she's talking in code just in case the cops are listening, she also happens to make a statement or two that seems to exculpate Wendi. That is not proof of Wendi's innocence.

Charlie: "Is this about Wendi?"
Donna: "No. No. No. No. No."

Charlie is confused. Why is Charlie assuming it could be about Wendi? He doesn't quite catch on. Not until he finds out its about a TV.

Charlie also tells Magbanua that his mom hasn't told his Dad yet because he would fly off the handle. This has been used as exculpatory evidence that Harvey didn't know about the murder. Could be. Could also be that Harvey didn't know about potential gang members approaching Donna on the street and demanding $5,000. In fact, that seems more likely to me.

Harvey is puzzled in Matsuri as to why they never approached Wendi. And then he wonders why they went to Donna and not him.
Agree with all this.

Last edited:
Yes, I wasn’t clear. My point was (per the post I was responding to) if, when she happened upon the scene, her attire didn’t match her lunch plans, that could be seen as suspicious. But, as we know, she actually did wind up going to the restaurant looking a bit disheveled.
Right. makes sense.

Last edited:
What was the name of the liquor store she went to that day? I think someone said it was very large. If true, that could be an explanation for why she went there, especially if she wanted a particular brand. (Not advocating, just playing devil's advocate.)

ABC FIne Wine & Spirits. Old time Tallahasseans will remember this as Jax Liquors before that, starting in the early 80s, which also doubled as a cocktail lounge back then.

Liquor stores are intimidating to some, it makes sense to me why someone would travel further go to a fairly large, well-lit, familiar place vs. an unknown store that could be cramped, dark, or dingy. Having said that, the main grocery chain in FL (Publix) operates liquor stores that are clean and comfortable.

Dbm

But how did the liquor store fit into the prior plan, if that was the plan? Or was ir a spur of the moment decision after the Trescott turnaround? To explain the route?
Why plan to discover the scene? Why not wait for them to notify you? This plan seems risky, as it depends on a shocked performance. Not saying it wasn’t the plan, necessarily. But risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper