GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
$8M in bank/investment accounts among DA, HA, CA, and WA, CA and WA had "only" $550K each of that but it doesn't include cash kept in safes, or non-liquid assets like real-estate.

After the CA verdict, I figured the Markels would be getting solicited by civil attorneys, looking to get a piece of whatever is left of the Adelson empire. I don't even think they would have to sit in such a trial if they didn't want to. Going after the Adelson assets would be a defeat to WA (if she remains free) who could have lived comfortably off them. The Markels could use the settlement to take care of the grandsons under their own terms, too, and not DA's trusts that she supposedly set up.

The Markels already have civil attorneys from Gibson Dunn, one of the best law firms in the country.

I may have missed where this could have been discussed. I was seeing folks talking about DA's first appearance. They're saying that the judge asked something like were you just in Paris. The confusion seem to be who she was directing that comment to, and then, apparently she says no, your client. Meaning DA. And then there was discussion about whether, DA & HA were in Europe. Also,, if I understood the comments, maybe the judge herself had just been on a Paris flight and seen DA.

I think it was here when CA's verdict came in, someone posted that they were in Italy. Was that part of their ruse to pretend that they were just taking all kinds of vacation around the time of the trial to make it not look suspicious? So people are asking, why did they come back? Was it to get some kind of cash? Was it to say goodbye to the boys. Why would they come back when it was much easier for them to go to a non-extradition country from Europe than coming back here.

Not the least of which is she revealed her plans on the taps that were being recorded. Does anyone have more information on this?

Do we know for sure exactly where the tape was? Isom and Brannon said 2-4 houses collectively, theres a photo they are saying is Dans house..so that would be AT the house.
That video is pretty compelling as to what the crime scene looked like and where the tape was. It was on a pole next to Dan’s mailbox

Yeah, it makes no sense to me. ( I assumed LE/FBI had surveillance on DA & HA in the preceding days, hence they knew they'd booked a flight to Vietnam and got the 'emergency' arrest warrant the evening before)
I wonder if the Judge was just confused about a similar-looking person. I think @Weki posted that the judge is quite a character.

(RSBM)

Well, Jeff Lacasse did say in his interviews that Wendi was basically not good at adulting and very dependent acting. That she could put on a facade of having it together but once he got to know her she was a huge mess. He linked it to her relationship with her family.
I think it is the reverse, in my opinion. The helpless baby is the facade.

I may have missed where this could have been discussed. I was seeing folks talking about DA's first appearance. They're saying that the judge asked something like were you just in Paris. The confusion seem to be who she was directing that comment to, and then, apparently she says no, your client. Meaning DA. And then there was discussion about whether, DA & HA were in Europe. Also,, if I understood the comments, maybe the judge herself had just been on a Paris flight and seen DA.

I think it was here when CA's verdict came in, someone posted that they were in Italy. Was that part of their ruse to pretend that they were just taking all kinds of vacation around the time of the trial to make it not look suspicious? So people are asking, why did they come back? Was it to get some kind of cash? Was it to say goodbye to the boys. Why would they come back when it was much easier for them to go to a non-extradition country from Europe than coming back here.

Not the least of which is she revealed her plans on the taps that were being recorded. Does anyone have more information on this?
I think she was talking to the attorney. I would bet that they were monitoring them for flight and if they had tried to leave for Italy or anywhere else that would’ve been flagged.

ETA : I feel like a judge wouldn’t ask a criminal defendant if she had just gotten off a plane from Europe. Some judges do like banter, but I think that would go too far. In my opinion she shouldn’t have even asked the attorney. It’s a criminal proceeding, it should be serious.

Last edited:
Yeah, it makes no sense to me. ( I assumed LE/FBI had surveillance on DA & HA in the preceding days, hence they knew they'd booked a flight to Vietnam and got the 'emergency' arrest warrant the evening before)
I wonder if the Judge was just confused about a similar-looking person. I think @Weki posted that the judge is quite a character.
Judge has a popular video from court cam. That’s where I recognized her from. People are not used to watching these first appearance hearings so I understand why some may have been confused by the casual nature of it but that’s how they usually go. The judge was saying that she thought defense counsel was on her flight back from Paris the night before. So judge just flew back from Paris and thought she saw the atty on her flight. Atty said it wasn’t her.

Edited to add: @Missyrocks5 wow I just went back to listen to it again after seeing your comment below and you’re right ——- The judge is referring to Donna!! Haha! For some reason I love the idea that Donna’s life has been turned upside down and to this judge it’s just another day! I’ve seen plenty of these Broward county first appearances by remote video and trust me when I tell you THEY ARE WILD! The judges tend to be playful.

Last edited:
I think she was talking to the attorney. I would bet that they were monitoring them for flight and if they had tried to leave for Italy or anywhere else that would’ve been flagged.

ETA : I feel like a judge wouldn’t ask a criminal defendant if she had just gotten off a plane from Europe. Some judges do like banter, but I think that would go too far. In my opinion she shouldn’t have even asked the attorney. It’s a criminal proceeding, it should be serious.
I found a video with better sound, and, absolutely, folks are right. It absolutely sounds as though the Judge is speaking to DA. The judge says, "did you just come in from Paris?" The lawyer laughs and says "no, it wasn't me". The judge corrects her, and says," no, I meant your client. I could swear she looks just like a lady who was on my plane yesterday for real." Hope you guys listen to it with better audio. That would be just crazy if it were true.

I understand she has a job to do and it is her attempt to inject some levity for everyone, but I do find it more than bizarre to be trying to take a light tone for someone in criminal court, particularly one who is being charged with first-degree murder. At the end, she tells Donna good luck, to which DA makes an expression like, are you kidding me? I don't think that she was mad at the judge for saying that I think it was just like, are you kidding? I'm accused of first-degree murder. Good luck. But if that really was DA on the plane, she was probably taken aback that the judge noted it. JMO

Last edited:
I found a video with better sound, and, absolutely, folks are right. It absolutely sounds as though the Judge is absolutely speaking to DA. The judge says, "did you just come in from Paris?" The lawyer laughs and says "no, it wasn't me". The judge corrects her, and says," no, I was talking to your client. I could swear she looks just like a lady who was on my plane yesterday for real." Hope you guys listen to it with better audio. That would be just crazy if it were true.

I understand she has a job to do and it is her attempt to inject some levity for everyone, but I do find it more than bizarre to be trying to take a light tone for someone in criminal court, particularly one who is being charged with first-degree murder. At the end, she tells Donna good luck, to which DA makes an expression like, are you kidding me? I don't think that she was mad at the judge for saying that I think it was just like, are you kidding? I'm accused of first-degree murder. Good luck. But if that really was DA on the plane, she was probably taken aback that the judge noted it. JMO
Yep. And I thought it was strange that the judge said “wow, these are some serious charges,” (stte) and “I’m sorry youre going through this.”

ETA Judges are elected in Miami. They’re not appointed by any legal body, and the voting public generally doesnt know a whole lot about them. Elections generally often come down to fund raising.

Last edited:
Yep. And I thought it was strange that the judge said “wow, these are some serious charges,” (stte) and “I’m sorry youre going through this.”
Lol. Yes. But you heard it again, right? The judge totally was asking DA was she on a plane from Paris yesterday. That would be absolutely amazing if it was. We will eventually find out, but it does line up with someone saying that they were in Europe at the time of Charlie's conviction.

I assume that her Cellphone would work in Europe as well so she was still be talking to Charlie until she flew the coop.

Last edited:
Judge has a popular video from court cam. That’s where I recognized her from. People are not used to watching these first appearance hearings so I understand why some may have been confused by the casual nature of it but that’s how they usually go. The judge was saying that she thought defense counsel was on her flight back from Paris the night before. So judge just flew back from Paris and thought she saw the atty on her flight. Atty said it wasn’t her.

Edited to add: @Missyrocks5 wow I just went back to listen to it again after seeing your comment below and you’re right ——- The judge is referring to Donna!! Haha! For some reason I love the idea that Donna’s life has been turned upside down and to this judge it’s just another day! I’ve seen plenty of these Broward county first appearances by remote video and trust me when I tell you THEY ARE WILD! The judges tend to be playful.
Lol. I can't believe it either. That would be crazy if it was her on the plane. I bet it was.

Can anyone help identify two individuals in the "Hollywood Squares" of DA's initial hearing in Miami?

In this arrangement, who are (B) and (C) ?

A | B
C | D

A: Judge Glazer and DA
B: ???
C: ???
D; DA's attorrney Marissel Descalzo

(C) was adamant that there would be no DA bail option in Leon County.

Thanks.

View attachment 462079
I believe C is an assistant state attorney for Miami-Dade County.

I'm watching LR's testimony in KM's retrial (I watched his in the 1st trial yesterday); as much as I can appreciate him for breaking the case and helping get the convictions so far, I still have a funny feeling about him and who actually was the shooter.

In this 2nd testimony, while GC asks him about the shooting itself, she asks what DM was doing when SG approached and shot him, and LR says he put his hands up - if he parked behind DM's car, and stayed in the car, how could he see anything DM did inside his car, with his window rolled up?

I haven't followed SG's appeals but if anyone knows, is he denying any involvement at all, or just that he wasn't the shooter?

CAN anyone familiar with Florida courts explain why the judge used the names of the jurors in the polling of the jury? I found that strange and especially in a case where you have the Latin Kings gang members involved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member