DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

0101ABA

Former Member
Reaction score
Florida State University professor Dan Markel was found in his Tallahassee, Florida, home on Friday. Police say there were no signs of robbery or burglary and have yet to disclose any motive.
According to Tallahassee police, officers found Markel after a neighbor called 911 at about 11 a.m. with reports of a "loud bang."

Markel, 41, was rushed to a local hospital, where he died the following day. "While we cannot release specific information or details regarding this case, the Violent Crimes Unit is releasing that Mr. Markel's cause of death was a fatal gunshot wound to the head," Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo said in a statement.
By Monday, police had categorized the case as a homicide, and according to Tallahassee Police Department spokesman David Northway, Markel was the intended target.
Clues sought in slaying of FSU law professor Dan Markel - CNN
Probable Cause documents
Leon County Court Motions (dissolution of marriage)

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9

Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16Thread #17

Last edited by a moderator:
Since she is having a hearing today - I shall post this to keep my notes straight.

Tuesday, November 14th:
*First Appearance Hearing (@ am ET) - FL - Daniel Eric Markel (41) (shot to death July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - Donna Sue Adelson (73) arrested by FBI @ So. Miami airport (11/13/23) on out-of-County warrant from Leon County arrest Warrant #FW231o2353 & facing murder, conspiracy & solicitation charges. No bond. Held at Miami-Dade County Jail (Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center).
Donna Adelson & Harvey Adelson were in the process of boarding an 8pm one way flight to Vietnam Monday night, according to State Attorney Jack Campbell, before she was arrested. Harvey was not arrested. “When we found out they bought tickets to Vietnam with a stop in Dubai, we talked with our law enforcement partners & found out how difficult it would be to bring her back,” said Campbell. “So this definitely sped up our timeline.” Her case will be taken to the grand jury, according to the state attorney. Campbell added that Donna was trying to flee & that her trip to the airport will be part of the state's evidence against her.' The United States does not have an extradition treaty with Vietnam.
11/14/23 Update: First appearance hearing on 11/14/23.

A great day for justice. After the decisive conviction of the Maestro, the indictment of Donna was expected. Their attorneys must rue the day the decision was made for Charlie to testify. That testimony will be useful to the prosecution now and defending Donna is going to be exponentially more difficult.

If Charlie believes he has any significant shot at an appeal he will likely not cooperate -- at least for now. The case against Donna is so strong that the state doesn't have a lot of motivation to cut much slack to Charlie unless he would implicate his sister and/or father and I just don't see Charlie willing to rat them out now.

Campbell spells it out. Wonder what happened to HA? Just a few more steps and those two would have been home free. I am so impressed with the legal work done on this case...methodical and at times painfully slow but now really coming together. Bet WA took them to airport....who else could they trust?

What was she charged with? Doesn’t the grand jury need to meet before she can be charged with murder? Was it a lesser charge? I heard somewhere that the grand jury already met, not sure if that’s true.

Law Belle Vie has posted the ~3 minute DA hearing in Miami court this morning, on YouTube.

DA in handcuffs and in some sort of protective jacket (suicide prevention?)

DA's attorney sounds as confused as ever, she didn't seem to understand in-state extradition. The Judge makes a misplaced attempt at a joke. Anyway, extradition is waived, Leon County has 15 days to come get DA.
Screenshot from 2023-11-14 08-40-30.png

What was she charged with? Doesn’t the grand jury need to meet before she can be charged with murder? Was it a lesser charge? I heard somewhere that the grand jury already met, not sure if that’s true.

GJ meets tomorrow. I heard on STS that in situations like this you can charge a bunch of lesser offenses and detain on that basis while waiting for a murder-one indictment to issue. The hearing this AM seemed scattered (judge read the charges but the document seemed disorganized), but I heard attempted solicitation, conspiracy to commit a capital offense, and (possibly attempted) homicide. The latter is very likely attempted homicide bc you need a GJ for full on murder one AFAIK.

Interesting that the judge was so light in her tone. Making a random joke about seeing a lady who looked like the PD on her flight while DA is sitting there in suicide prevention clothing. Also interesting that she said, "I'm sorry you're going through this." That may be the first sign that people will tend to pity DA because she is old and frail.

The judge had a problem when reading out the charges but I think she said attempted solicitation, conspiracy to commit a capital felony, and 2 counts of attempted solicitation of conspiracy to commit homicide.

GJ meets tomorrow. I heard on STS that in situations like this you can charge a bunch of lesser offenses and detain on that basis while waiting for a murder-one indictment to issue. The hearing this AM seemed scattered (judge read the charges but the document seemed disorganized), but I heard attempted solicitation, conspiracy to commit a capital offense, and (possibly attempted) homicide. The latter is very likely attempted homicide bc you need a GJ for full on murder one AFAIK.

Interesting that the judge was so light in her tone. Making a random joke about seeing a lady who looked like the PD on her flight while DA is sitting there in suicide prevention clothing. Also interesting that she said, "I'm sorry you're going through this." That may be the first sign that people will tend to pity DA because she is old and frail.
sorry but DA is not "frail" and while she is over 70 people talk as if she is in her 90's. Donna went to the gym often and was very active....this lady is not frail and in fact probably more healthy than the average people taken into custody. Going to be difficult to keep up the blonde hair and botox injections so probably will look different i a month or two.

Law Belle Vie has posted the ~3 minute DA hearing in Miami court this morning, on YouTube.

DA in handcuffs and in some sort of protective jacket (suicide prevention?)

DA's attorney sounds as confused as ever, she didn't seem to understand in-state extradition. The Judge makes a misplaced attempt at a joke. Anyway, extradition is waived, Leon County has 15 days to come get DA.
View attachment 460827
Donna rolled her eyes hard at the end when the judge said “Good Luck” lol

For others that didn't know like me, DA's attire goes by a few names: anti-suicide smock, Ferguson, turtle suit, pickle suit, Bam Bam suit, or suicide gown.

Description here on Wikipedia.

For the judge, it's likely just another day at the office. She probably handles these appearances all day long so injecting a little levity and being polite to those appearing in front of her just makes it easier for her to do her job.

I thought I recognized this judge. She had some viral fame a while back when she recognized one of her old classmates who was in front of her on a bond hearing.

sorry but DA is not "frail" and while she is over 70 people talk as if she is in her 90's. Donna went to the gym often and was very active....this lady is not frail and in fact probably more healthy than the average people taken into custody. Going to be difficult to keep up the blonde hair and botox injections so probably will look different i a month or two.
And the mini face lift threading! I swear it looks like her jaw has been threaded. She has that old lady “stretched” jaw look to me.

The judge had a problem when reading out the charges but I think she said attempted solicitation, conspiracy to commit a capital felony, and 2 counts of attempted solicitation of conspiracy to commit homicide.

Toward the end of this video, while the judge and attorney are laughing, you can see DA roll her eyes as to express how they are handling her arraignment.

According to her intake info at the Miami Dade Jail last night, she is 5' 6" and weighs 112 pounds. That is underweight according to standard metrics (18.1 BMI, with 18.5 as the lower bound for a healthy BMI). And per the eye test she doesn't appear too hale and hearty to me; more like pale and emaciated.

I can't speak to her gym schedule as well as you apparently can but whatever she was doing in there, it sure as hell wasn't bulking up to prepare for the rigors of prison. My guess is she has disordered eating and exerexia. None of this strikes me as a sign of robust health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warden2024