FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The dinner where KM met (part of CA's family) CA, with Katie on Lincoln Road in Miami . . . he in scrubs he had been working . . . Wendi brought Jeff along . . . sat outside the restaurant at one of the few tables bordering the sidewalk. Sounds so Van Gogh.
It’s on a pretty busy intersection on a very busy street, with traffic. It’s not ON the pedestrian mall. The outdoor tables aren’t exactly a romantic setting. The defense in this case and Katie’s cases fixate on this dinner, maybe because LaCasse talks about it. Has it been established that Sig was definitely there? Again, very busy intersection. Was he, like, stopped at the light and watching them?

'what did you get for your dad for his birthday? ' Rashbaum asks with a flourish to add drama
I paid for the caterer ( paella chef who attended.. & we had a bunch of deserts & salads)

That wasn't the question GC had asked Wendi last week
Those giant paella things with a chef don’t cost THAT much, and they’re easy to find. I mean, it sounds like a nice party, but not a HUGE catered surprise.

It really is too bad there aren’t dentists on the jury. I’m not a dentist, but even I thought that was strange. It’s just not done. Why would a dentist not have an office. It’s like being a traveling cardiologist and going into doctors’ offices.

I have been treated by a traveling periodontist, if is more common than you think. It cuts overhead for a young doctor who can’t afford to open a practice yet. Also it keeps the patient in-house at the dental practice. If a patient is sent out to another practice for treatment there is a risk of losing the patient to another provider.

(I have personal admin experience in medical and dental aesthetics in both hospital and office surgery practices.)

I have been treated by a traveling periodontist, if is more common than you think. It cuts overhead for a young doctor who can’t afford to open a practice yet. Also it keeps the patient in-house at the dental practice. If a patient is sent out to another practice for treatment there is a risk of losing the patient to another provider.

(I have personal admin experience in medical and dental aesthetics in both hospital and office surgery practices.)
Interesting. Here I am just thinking Charlie might not be a good dentist.

Don’t the better periodontists have their own offices, though, because they get referrals? Why would someone travel so much? It sounds like the traveling benefits the dentist whose office it is, because it doesn’t cost them and they can keep patients in house. But it doesn’t sound like a preferred arrangement for the person doing all this traveling.

Perhaps it facilitated him getting paid in cash, and there’s low overhead for someone just starting out. Was he just starting out?

So..Katie does a murder because she wants a more serious relationship but will settle for blackmail instead?
Been following for years. But a jury is just hearing (for this first time): KM is cute, funny, busy, hardworking, really smart, Mother of two children...rrright??? But, the father of her two children, SG, is a jealous & violent gang member who hates CA. Since KM realizes she won't be CA's future wife, she decides to go back to SG and arranges the murder so they can extort money from A's. Then she leaves enough cookie crumbs around to get SG arrested and out of the picture forever...even if she can not be with CA. Wow, she really is "clever."
Of course WS'ers know a lot more went on, but it just might play for a jury who sees KM as a gold digger who was mistreated by violent gangster/baby daddy.
CA's answers to the cross examination will be really interesting, IMO.

Last edited:

Don’t the better periodontists have their own offices, though, because they get referrals? Why would someone travel so much? It sounds like the traveling benefits the dentist whose office it is, because it doesn’t cost them and they can keep patients in house. But it doesn’t sound like a preferred arrangement for the person doing all this traveling.

Perhaps it facilitated him getting paid in cash, and there’s low overhead for someone just starting out. Was he just starting out?
It is extremely expensive to maintain a solo provider office for a speciality practice. I know of an orthodontist who opened an office and still travels 2 days a week to other offices as they don’t have enough patients for a solo practice. Not sure if people understand that it takes a few years to build up a practice before you can even break even.

Oh, if he gets off, somehow (though implausible) . . . I hear the IRS coming for him.

Been following for years. But a jury is just hearing (for thw first time): KM is cute, funny, busy, hardworking, really smart, Mother of two children...rrright??? But, the father of her two children, SG, is a jealous & violent gang member who hates CA. Since KM realizes she won't be CA's future wife, she decides to go back to SG and arranges the murder so they can extort money from A's. Then she leaves enough cookie crumbs around to get SG arrested and out of the picture forever...even if she can not be with CA. Wow, she really is "clever."
Of course WS'ers know a lot more went on, but it just might play for a jury who sees KM as a gold digger who was mistreated by violent gangster/baby daddy.
CA comes off to me in the wiretaps as quite the misogynist. IMO, he no doubt thinks he’s smarter than Georgia and Sarah, and his lawyer may also be telling him that. It’s going to be interesting, I agree.

Been following for years. But a jury is just hearing (for this first time): KM is cute, funny, busy, hardworking, really smart, Mother of two children...rrright??? But, the father of her two children, SG, is a jealous & violent gang member who hates CA. Since KM realizes she won't be CA's future wife, she decides to go back to SG and arranges the murder so they can extort money from A's. Then she leaves enough cookie crumbs around to get SG arrested and out of the picture forever...even if she can not be with CA. Wow, she really is "clever."
I agree this is what they want the jury to believe. I don’t think what they’ve presented so far is enough to support this. Katie came off as a liar, but not someone who wanted to be with CA som much she would kill if she couldn’t. Maybe she just set it up for the money, but why would she think he would pay?

Why would someone do a murder for somebody and think that the person would just pay them for it? Because they were scared? Has this every happened? Would this be within the jury’s realm of experience such that they’d buy that it happens at all, let alone to a defendant who happens to be on trial for murder?

Judge's ruling - Judge sustains the objection to the composite exhibit June 2014 texts. ( Grounds 403 & hearsay & something else I didn't catch)
Rashbaum can extract some instead
Rashbaum persists that IHO the jury needs to see the full batch to understand CA's ' state of mind'
Rash places more arguments onto the record. ( He makes analogies with state previously admitting chains of call logs. Judge basically says it's not the same for a number of reasons too long to type.)

ETA
rash continues his cross
Was murder mentioned in any of those June texts? No says CA
Was any kind of violence mentioned in any of those June texts? No says CA

As Donna says in one of the wiretaps, “those IRS people, they bother you sometimes…”

(Like, what was THAT about, I always wonder! Why does she say this on tape, when she’s being cagey otherwise?)
Because not the brightest bulb on the string -- that's where CA gets it.

I have also heard from office managers that some businesses that have non-insurance cases, ie cosmetic dentistry, offer cash discounts. These cash procedures may or may not get reported as income. My first thought with all the cash in the safe was he was doing procedures off the books.

I have also heard from office managers that some businesses that have non-insurance cases, ie cosmetic dentistry, offer cash discounts. These cash procedures may or may not get reported as income. My first thought with all the cash in the safe was he was doing procedures off the books.
Bingo! Sure makes sense.

Of course. Makes total sense. They may have been reporting it as less income than it actually was, a lot of cash business do that, they show some income but not all. That may be why they want him to explain how he could have so much cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member