FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *4 Guilty* #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did think that perhaps there may be some resentment breeding after hearing the hot mic cool, but then saw DA's Iphone with what looked to be a wallpaper shot of WA and her boys. It was a reminder about the toxic bonds she has with her daughter and Grandkids. The only chance of DA or CA flipping is if HA is going to be charged. They may try and save him? I think it will be a big shock to HA when DA is convicted.
At least from the hot mic call, I got the impression (JMO) that Donna seemed, to me, to not realize Wendi appeared, to me, to be distancing herself from her and/or the crime. She does seem to me to notice that Wendi doesn’t need her help with the boys as much, but she doesn’t seem to me to understand why Wendi won’t help them with the extradition issue, for example, and she doesn’t seem to me to understand the purpose of Wendi’s text stating her innocence and requesting that all communication about the case be through lawyers.

If that is the case, in my opinion she might continue to “try to protect her” as she says.

Last edited:
Is covid on the rise in Leon County Jail ?

First time seeing Donna in a mask, also in a remote Zoom call in the LC zoom booth.

Also, i didn't realise Dan Rashbaum was present because I only heard audio of Alex Morris speaking

Last edited:
At least from the hot mic call, I got the impression (JMO) that Donna seemed, to me, to not realize Wendi appeared, to me, to be distancing herself from her and/or the crime. She does seem to me to notice that Wendi doesn’t need her help with the boys as much, but she doesn’t seem to me to understand why Wendi won’t help them with the extradition issue, for example, and she doesn’t seem to me to understand the purpose of Wendi’s text stating her innocence and requesting that all communication about the case be through lawyers.

If that is the case, in my opinion she might continue to “try to protect her” as she says.
Does WA need Protecting/Protection? Anyone care to elaborate/speculate? Think about it...CA in jail LWOP, DA & HA were fleeing the country...who would be left to face this on their own?? Oh yeah WA. Doesn't sound or look like DA was willing to stay and fight or she is just very dramatic.
(There are no rightws/wrongs in speculating...btw)

Does WA need Protecting/Protection? Anyone care to elaborate/speculate? Think about it...CA in jail LWOP, DA & HA were fleeing the country...who would be left to face this on their own?? Oh yeah WA. Doesn't sound or look like DA was willing to stay and fight or she is just very dramatic.
(There are no rightws/wrongs in speculating...btw)
Well, WA, if she was involved, might need protection from prosecution, or from someone flipping on her, hypothetically. On the hot mic call, Donna reads a text where she says to Wendi that everyone tries to protect Wendi. It has always been my opinion that they all tried to keep her well insulated from the murder plot, and that they, in their own minds, may believe she either was not involved or that there is nothing that could connect her to the case, because they protected her and are still doing so, in my opinion. (Doesn’t mean any of that is true, just that I think they may possibly believe it).

I don’t believe Donna will turn on WA unless possibly she starts to believe that WA is no longer loyal or that WA is trying to harm her in some way.

I do believe she will throw Charlie under the bus, and that her defense will be that she was just doing what he told her because he told her the extortion story. I believe that she, based on what we have been hearing from Ben Graber, will possibly try to sell the idea that Charlie is/was a black sheep/loose cannon who got involved with some bad people and she didn’t know anything about it until he came to her and asked her to start writing checks.

Is covid on the rise in Leon County Jail ?

First time seeing Donna in a mask, also in a remote Zoom call in the LC zoom booth.

Also, i didn't realise Dan Rashbaum was present because I only heard audio of Alex Morris speaking
Yes. In FL, covid has been pretty steady. Folks have it or getting over it. I heard that it sounded like Alex Morris had Covid. Maybe he met with Donna in person so she has it or or maybe they are concerned she might

On the hot mic call, Donna reads a text where she says to Wendi that everyone tries to protect Wendi.

I have to listen to that call again. When Donna said “everyone is looking to protect you..... you have a lot to think about”, I interpreted that as Donna speaking about ‘Charlie’ – not Wendi. She was reading an email that she wrote to Wendi aloud to her friend and I think that statement was Donna telling Wendi (in the email) what she said to Charlie. I may be wrong, but that’s how I interpreted it. If she was in fact speaking about Wendi, that doesn't look good for Wendi.

Last edited:
I have to listen to that call again. When Donna said “everyone is looking to protect you..... you have a lot to think about”, I interpreted that as Donna speaking about ‘Charlie’ – not Wendi. She was reading an email that she wrote to Wendi aloud to her friend and I think that statement was Donna telling Wendi (in the email) what she said to Charlie. I may be wrong, but that’s how I interpreted it. If she was in fact speaking about Wendi, that doesn't look good for Wendi.
To me it could be either way, but in my opinion she’s reading what she texted to Wendi. It’s tricky, because I believe at one point she IS telling Wendi what she said to Charlie about why Wendi isn’t calling him, if I recall correctly. But then, when she says the bit about trying to protect you, my opinion is that she is back to addressing Wendi directly in the text and no longer relaying what she told Charlie. To me, I don’t see what they would have to protect Charlie from, after he’s just been convicted, anyway.

The following day. April 12.

very short wiretaps - Harvey

Re Charlie prescribing Katie Xanax. ( In itself, already well -known)

Harvey told Erika to ' hold off' before doing anything and returned home from the clinic to tell Charlie that the clinic had a call about the prescription ' checking if it was a phoney prescription.' Notice that Harvey didn't just pick-up the phone and ask his son.

( In 2016 Donna was still office manager even though she was rarely there, according to dental staff testimony. presumably why she was doing ' piles of paperwork' at home on the April 11th wiretaps on the previous page.
IIRC the clinic was back under Harvey's name)

Charlie wants to meet up with KM because she ' needs to sign some paperwork'
I have no idea what that code is for. ( After the bump, clinic cheques for KM would stop abruptly)

Last edited:
To me it could be either way, but in my opinion she’s reading what she texted to Wendi. It’s tricky, because I believe at one point she IS telling Wendi what she said to Charlie about why Wendi isn’t calling him, if I recall correctly. But then, when she says the bit about trying to protect you, my opinion is that she is back to addressing Wendi directly in the text and no longer relaying what she told Charlie. To me, I don’t see what they would have to protect Charlie from, after he’s just been convicted, anyway.

I agree it’s tricky and can be interpreted either way. I haven’t heard anyone interpret it the way I have, but that’s how it sounded to me. As far as what they are protecting Charlie from, her statement can be interpreted as in ‘past tense’ as well as the 'present' (at time of statement). The reality is at the time of Donna’s statement Charlie was the only Adelson charged and Wendi (involved or not) did protect him and I think Donna was acknowledging that to Wendi . Ultimately, you may be correct, but I still think she was referring to Charlie. I think the way Donna enunciated the words that led up to the quoted statement is what is throwing us off.

I agree it’s tricky and can be interpreted either way. I haven’t heard anyone interpret it the way I have, but that’s how it sounded to me. As far as what they are protecting Charlie from, her statement can be interpreted as in ‘past tense’ as well as the 'present' (at time of statement). The reality is at the time of Donna’s statement Charlie was the only Adelson charged and Wendi (involved or not) did protect him and I think Donna was acknowledging that to Wendi . Ultimately, you may be correct, but I still think she was referring to Charlie. I think the way Donna enunciated the words that led up to the quoted statement is what is throwing us off.
Respectfully, I disagree. You are the first to suggest that it could be directed at CA, to my knowledge. I feel like it is quite clear that DA is referencing WA. It is quite problematic for WA that her mother made this comment, and I am sure that she is very concerned about how it reflects on her guilt in the murder plot.

This family has a linguistic pattern of overlapping conversations and shifting perspectives as narrators. I think this is an east coast storytelling phenomenon that I recognize from my own family. The emotional tone of what DA is saying is directed at WA and it carries through the shifts in her perspective thematically. It is a veiled threat, to me. "You have a lot to think about" implies that she needs to change her behavior (the low and no contact) toward her family since they have protected her from suspicion, and DA is referring to WA's lack of gratitude, as evidenced by her behavior. It would not make sense for DA to tell CA he has a lot to think about. As cruel as DA is, she would not rub it in CA's face that he has a lot to think about while trapped in jail, and DA is feeling no resentment toward CA at that time.

I also agree with amicuscurie that there is no longer any reason to "protect" CA after his conviction. Protect is a really loaded word choice, here, and I know a guilt trip when I see one.

If DA and CA conspired to murder Dan without WA's consent, I don't think this is the tone DA would take with WA. It is definitely not the tone she'd take with CA, since she is clearly grateful and harboring no ill will toward him as a co-conspirator.

I think you are trying pretty hard to throw this at the wall to see if it sticks. For me, it does not. I appreciate varied perspectives and even-handed discussion, though.

Respectfully, I disagree. You are the first to suggest that it could be directed at CA, to my knowledge. I feel like it is quite clear that DA is referencing WA. It is quite problematic for WA that her mother made this comment, and I am sure that she is very concerned about how it reflects on her guilt in the murder plot.

This family has a linguistic pattern of overlapping conversations and shifting perspectives as narrators. I think this is an east coast storytelling phenomenon that I recognize from my own family. The emotional tone of what DA is saying is directed at WA and it carries through the shifts in her perspective thematically. It is a veiled threat, to me. "You have a lot to think about" implies that she needs to change her behavior (the low and no contact) toward her family since they have protected her from suspicion, and DA is referring to WA's lack of gratitude, as evidenced by her behavior. It would not make sense for DA to tell CA he has a lot to think about. As cruel as DA is, she would not rub it in CA's face that he has a lot to think about while trapped in jail, and DA is feeling no resentment toward CA at that time.

I also agree with amicuscurie that there is no longer any reason to "protect" CA after his conviction. Protect is a really loaded word choice, here, and I know a guilt trip when I see one.

If DA and CA conspired to murder Dan without WA's consent, I don't think this is the tone DA would take with WA. It is definitely not the tone she'd take with CA, since she is clearly grateful and harboring no ill will toward him as a co-conspirator.

I think you are trying pretty hard to throw this at the wall to see if it sticks. For me, it does not. I appreciate varied perspectives and even-handed discussion, though.
@Tanager An amazing, brilliant, totally transparent processing of thoughts. Not only do I wholeheartedly agree with your perspective on "You have a lot to think about." It has always struck me as, using my best Southern drawl "Just remember who brung you to the dance!" Sure you don't need us as nannies anymore...but we know a lot more than just your babysitting schedule. No doubt in my mind DA knows how to "body check" (hockey term) WA's ego. DA tries her guilt trips/feel sorry for me rants and ending her life. WA "body checks" her back with .. (words to the effect=wtte) then I'll have you locked up in a mental hospital. (Wow, just wow...an interesting shift in dynamics...about 20 years too late!)
DA's pattern of controlling her family and anything within her realm is eroding like a sand castle built too close to this rising tide of exposure. She wails (wtte), "I just can't push it anymore." "My family is cursed"..."fallling apart and I don't know how to fix it!"
Just a humble sleuth's opinion but, "DA, you are not supposed "to fix" your adult children. At your age and their ages...you should only be fixing dinner on holidays."

Bolded part- brilliant way to describe the way these people talk! I didn’t realize it was an East Coast phenomenon- do other people not talk this way?

Agree on the “guilt trip” nature of Donna’s communications as well.

It is my opinion that they were indeed trying to protect Wendi and continue to believe they are doing so now.

Last edited:

I am probably the first, as I said, I haven't seen anyone else mention it. You gave me the inspiration to listen to it again :). After hearing it again, I still think she is talking about Charlie. RE your point at the start of your second paragraph, keep in mind she is reciting what she wrote to Wendi, it's not a free flowing conversation (at least the part in question). Donna tells her friend “I wrote this last night” – then proceeds to read the email or text she wrote to Wendi aloud – below is the verbatim exchange. When you read it without Donna's voice inflections, it seems like she is referring to Charlie.

“We know you never ask anything about your brother, this is 8:00 last night, but we just got off the phone with him and the first thing he asked was how’s Wendi holding up? I didn’t have the heart to tell him that you never called us or asked about him. I just said we weren’t up to phone calls right now, everyone looks to protect you, I bet you’ve got a lot to think about" -- PAUSE-- "but then she didn’t answer”.

As I said it can be interpreted either way, but I think she is talking about Charlie. My psychoanalysis of Donna is she a very mentally sick person (I know that’s a shocker :)). Even if Wendi was not involved, in Donna’s sick and warped mind she still would feel like Wendi is ungrateful for what they did for her and she would still expect Wendi to ‘care’ about Charlie’s situation and 'stick together' and be in direct alignment with the family. It is obviously bothering Donna that Wendi completely turned her back on the family and is distancing herself from them. Even if I’m wrong and Donna directed the comment towards Wendi, I still can see Donna saying what she said whether Wendi was involved or not. Obviously if Wendi was involved, the comment “everyone looks to protect you, I bet you have a lot to think about” has a very obvious meaning. If Wendi was not involved, in Donna’s warped mind, everything she did to take care of ‘the family problem’ with Charlie and possibly Harvey was done to ‘protect’ Wendi and, in my opinion, we can’t draw and conclusions from the email Donna recited. Just like we cant draw and conclusions from Wendi saying in her email: “I did nothing wrong and am not responsible for Charlie’s situation”.

Last edited:
I am probably the first, as I said, I haven't seen anyone else mention it. You gave me the inspiration to listen to it again :). After hearing it again, I still think she is talking about Charlie. RE your point at the start of your second paragraph, keep in mind she is reciting what she wrote to Wendi, it's not a free flowing conversation (at least the part in question). Donna tells her friend “I wrote this last night” – then proceeds to read the email or text she wrote to Wendi aloud – below is the verbatim exchange. When you read it without Donna's voice inflections, it seems like she is referring to Charlie.

“We know you never ask anything about your brother, this is 8:00 last night, but we just got off the phone with him and the first thing he asked was how’s Wendi holding up? I didn’t have the heart to tell him that you never called us or asked about him. I just said we weren’t up to phone calls right now, everyone looks to protect you, I bet you’ve got a lot to think about" -- PAUSE-- "but then she didn’t answer”.

As I said it can be interpreted either way, but I think she is talking about Charlie. My psychoanalysis of Donna is she a very mentally sick person (I know that’s a shocker :)). Even if Wendi was not involved, in Donna’s sick and warped mind she still would feel like Wendi is ungrateful for what they did for her and she would still expect Wendi to ‘care’ about Charlie’s situation and 'stick together' and be in direct alignment with the family. It is obviously bothering Donna that Wendi completely turned her back on the family and is distancing herself from them. Even if I’m wrong and Donna directed the comment towards Wendi, I still can see Donna saying what she said whether Wendi was involved or not. Obviously if Wendi was involved, the comment “everyone looks to protect you, I bet you have a lot to think about” has a very obvious meaning. If Wendi was not involved, in Donna’s warped mind, everything she did to take care of ‘the family problem’ with Charlie and possibly Harvey was done to ‘protect’ Wendi and, in my opinion, we can’t draw and conclusions from the email Donna recited. Just like we cant draw and conclusions from Wendi saying in her email: “I did nothing wrong and am not responsible for Charlie’s situation”.

It’s all in the punctuation. You have a comma after the word “now.” I think it’s a period, and “Everyone looks to protect you” starts a new sentence.

I see it as follows:

By way of background, Donna has been complaining to Harvey on the hot mic about how Wendi has not called Charlie. Then Donna begins to read a text she wrote to Wendi at 8:00 the night before (she notes the time as an aside in the text, I’ve put it in parentheses to make it clearer).

In the text, she first tells Wendi about how Charlie has been asking about her and she tells her they didn’t have the heart to tell him she never called or asked about him:

We know you never asked anything about your brother, (this is 8:00 last night), but we just got off the phone with him and the first thing he asked was how’s Wendi holding up? I didn’t have the heart to tell him that you never called us or asked about him.

Next, she tells Wendi what she told Charlie instead:

I just said we weren’t up to phone calls right now.

This is clearly something she told Charlie, because she says “I just said… “

But THEN, it is my opinion that she resumes addressing her thoughts to Wendi directly as she was before:

Everyone looks to protect you, I bet you’ve got a lot to think about"

Also, she then tells Harvey Wendi didn’t answer. To me, this is even more support for the idea that the very last thing she said must have been addressed to Wendi.

Just speculation, but unless we see the punctuation, we can’t say for sure. Of course, with texts, it could just be a series of bubbles, with no periods or commas. I assume that if Donna is ever on the stand, she will be asked what she meant by “everyone looks to protect you,” and who she was referring to.

It’s all in the punctuation. You have a comma after the word “now.” I think it’s a period, and “Everyone looks to protect you” starts a new sentence.

I see it as follows:

By way of background, Donna has been complaining to Harvey on the hot mic about how Wendi has not called Charlie. Then Donna begins to read a text she wrote to Wendi at 8:00 the night before (she notes the time as an aside in the text, I’ve put it in parentheses to make it clearer).

In the text, she first tells Wendi about how Charlie has been asking about her and she tells her they didn’t have the heart to tell him she never called or asked about him:

We know you never asked anything about your brother, (this is 8:00 last night), but we just got off the phone with him and the first thing he asked was how’s Wendi holding up? I didn’t have the heart to tell him that you never called us or asked about him.

But THEN, it is my opinion that she resumes addressing her thoughts to Wendi directly as she was before:

Also, she then tells Harvey Wendi didn’t answer. To me, this is even more support for the idea that the very last thing she said must have been addressed to Wendi.

Just speculation, but unless we see the punctuation, we can’t say for sure. Of course, with texts, it could just be a series of bubbles, with no periods or commas. I assume that if Donna is ever on the stand, she will be asked what she meant by “everyone looks to protect you,” and who she was referring to.

Your interpretation may be correct, but even if you change the punctuation from a comma to a period, a case can still be made either way. She could have still started a new sentence and still have been referring to her response to Charlie. I would love to see the actual text. I still say that in Donna’s warped mind, even if she directed that comment towards Wendi, she would have said the same thing whether Wendi was directly involved or not. In Donna’s deranged mind, they did this for Wendi and to protect Wendi and she has no remorse and probably even believes what ‘they’ did was justified.

I see it as follows:

It just seems obvious that Wendi was always the one to protect.

Very short wiretaps - the same day as the calls previously posted on this page. April 12 2016.
TBH- not much to speak of in any of them.

Domestic Co-ordinator
-Ironic to hear Donna say that when she moved out of Coral, ' I made up a Charlie box , a Wendi box and a Robert box and one day... you've got a box with your name on it with things which I thought might be important to you...' Charlie's never gonna collect his memory box.
- Donna has also spent time over at Dave's house.
- When it comes to risky decisions CA says he'd never instruct his family, in case it backfired on them and he'd feel responsible. ( Not hard to make the leap to team agreement on drastic plans like murder, although OFC the need to split the $1M bribe between all four is stronger with a jury )

Next short call
Financial Co-ordinator

- CA and Harvey discuss stocks, their account balances, their rental accounts, savings. ( Donna in background on speaker phone)
- Harvey making deposits into CA's account, has oversight of balances. Also discuss raising rents on some of the units. Harvey discusses his tax liabilities @IQuestion and the social security income DA & HA draw down.

- Just like when Wendi was going through the divorce litigation, Harvey is fully involved when it comes to checking balances and assets ( 2013 Donna texts.) He's all over the detail, even small $ amounts.
Listen to it while considering whether it's realistic that Harvey did not know his clinic was paying out cheques to Katie. ( Not realistic imo. Ditto, note that in the Erika Xanax calls, Harvey was also notified of that call, by Erika. There's been a narrative, this last couple of years that Harvey is only Donna's side-kick not a principal, that he's just focused on his dental appointments and left out of detailed discussions. )

- PS. Sully collects some rental $ ( mechanic friend, fixed all CA's cars incl Lexus for KM and who was still in contact with CA in jail, recorded LC jail calls Nov 2023)

There are more 2016 wiretaps at Pretty Lies account but haven't posted those- not really related to prosecution of DA or any other Adelson in the future but if you've never previously listened to the 2016 taps, might be worth checking out. KM & CA chit-chat etc

Last edited:
Very short wiretaps - the same day as the calls previously posted on this page. April 12 2016.
TBH- not much to speak of in any of them.

Domestic Co-ordinator
-Ironic to hear Donna say that when she moved out of Coral, ' I made up a Charlie box , a Wendi box and a Robert box and one day... you've got a box with your name on it with things which I thought might be important to you...' Charlie's never gonna collect his memory box.

MOO

This alone speaks volumes to me. Don't you think RA, CA & WA would have already taken anything from the house they wanted by then?

I get that her only sense of relevance or feeling needed comes from coordinating/ controlling her familys' lives, but that seems like something you would do for young children, not adult children.

DA must be beyond miserable now but I only feel sorry for those boys and how awkward this must all be for them especially as young teens. Life is awkward and conflicted enough at their age.

MOO

MOO

This alone speaks volumes to me. Don't you think RA, CA & WA would have already taken anything from the house they wanted by then?

I get that her only sense of relevance or feeling needed comes from coordinating/ controlling her familys' lives, but that seems like something you would do for young children, not adult children.

DA must be beyond miserable now but I only feel sorry for those boys and how awkward this must all be for them especially as young teens. Life is awkward and conflicted enough at their age.

MOO
It’s particularly curious, the bit about her making the boxes for the sale of the house in 2016, given that in July of 2014, LaCasse says he was on the phone with Wendi when she was in South Florida, and she told him she was cleaning out her old room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor