FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *4 Guilty* #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigfredo would have been more useful as a witness against Charlie, but imo more walled off from Donna and even more so from Wendy. His appellate lawyer practically begged him to snitch, in a way that I have rarely ever seen, but the genius insisted on living his life out in prison. You can bring a horse to water but you can't make him think.
Who do you think influenced him? Katie said she did what she did for him, but I think that he did what he did for her.

Seems her lawyers were the biggest influence on her because they gave her hope of freedom , and were really working to protect the Adelsons. (And Im sure funded her defense (The comment that she “heard” her brother was offered money was a bit suspect..and she acted as if she heard it through he grapevine and knew nothing.
She could have had a better defense and gotten less time.
ex: “I was married to a loser. In and out of toruble. Cocaine and alcohol. Couldn’t hold a job. I had a special needs child I needed health insurance for. I worked nights trying to make money to support our family while he was boozing and drugging, And cheating. I was desperate. I lost my mind, My mother got cancer. I had covid twice. Now that I look back on it, I was living an altered reality”…”I am sorry for what I did”.”I saw what the Adlelsons had and I wanted a better life for myself and my kids”. “I don’t know what overcame me”. “The forces of evil overtook me”
She may have gotten lots of sympathy for any juror that had a wayward prodigal child. And perhaps a Christian parent.
it could have worked if she just came clean and was truthful for once.

Last edited:
ML also has a review of the background to SG's appeal, but here's something else he's got.

Evidence update - photo a text from Donna's phone
Who's the woman replying to Donna?

'Do not disturb' ( She was arrested Monday, Nov. 13, 2023 )

Dan Rashbaum's interview on STS : I checked her phone, there was nothing on it.
LE will be able to get any deleted texts from Donna that night to this woman regarding it being hard to get an impartial jury anywhere in Florida. Whoops!
COTTONWEAVER You found it! I had wondered about #5 Text photo I saw listed on court docs and figured it had to be something really incriminating. And voila. Legal talk confuses me..but I can understand when someone is trying to perpetrate half truths and passing them off as acceptable and normal behavior, Yuck! The public comments meant to be zealous advocacy for ones client can quickly cross the line of unethical behavior.
(paraphrasing/wtte) "Nothing wrong with going to the airport?" "Nothing wrong/suspicious about booking a one-way ticket to a nonextradition country?" Ya' sure, but combine that with texts of "can't get a fair jury in Florida." Hmm, fleeing to escape prosecution (at worst) and consciousness of guilt (at best). Claiming she was being tortured in jail, when in fact there were recordings to the contrary verifying suicide ideation: "We can do it together. Leave a note." During the call, Donna Adelson made comments about possibly taking her own life and spoke about a text message from her daughter, Wendi Adelson. The call took place on November 7, shortly after Charles Adelson was convicted of murdering his brother-in-law, Dan Markel.
PS Providing a link for the "We can do it together." But ya'll are pretty good at remembering. Just thinking out loud, now. For a couple who have spent 50 years together, shared emails, shared accounts, shared ownership of everything, contemplating suiciding together and attempting to leave the country together...one being incarcerated without the other must be an unfathomable event.

Last edited:
Hello all!
I will be going on vacation starting Sunday Feb. 11th - and will try & keep up with all the cases I am following! :)
I might post some ahead of time - since I have plans in Sweden - my sister's 75th birthday celebration!
So bare with me! :D So posting this a bit early.

Monday, February 12th:
*Case Management Hearing (@ 2:30pm ET) - FL - Daniel Eric Markel (41) (shot to death July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Donna Sue Adelson (73/now 74) arrested by FBI @ Miami Intl. Airport (11/13/23) on out-of-County warrant from Leon County arrest Warrant #FW231o2353 & indicted (11/15/23), charged (11/21/23) & arraigned (12/11/23) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & solicitation to commit 1st degree murder. No bond. Held at Miami-Dade County Jail (Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center. Leon County has 15 days to extradite from Miami-Dade County). Transferred from Miami-Dade to Leon County on 11/20/23. Held without bond (murder), $25K (conspiracy) & $25K (solicitation) on 11/21/23. Plead not guilty.
Judge Stephen Everett. Prosecutor Georgia Cappelman. Defense attorney Robert Alexander Morris & Daniel Rashbaum.
Case & Court info from 11/13/23 thru 1/8/24 reference post #178 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-murdered-by-hitmen-4-guilty-22.701144/page-9

1/11/24 Update: Donna Adelson’s docket: Instead of 1/30/24 at 2:30pm with Judge Everett as previously updated from 1/9/24, the new Notice of Case Management Conference is for Monday 1/22/24 at 10:30am with Judge Everett.
1/18/24 Update: Amended: Answer to Demand for Discovery [Exhibits: Continuum Leasing Docs (6 pages)] filed by Jack Campbell, State attorney.
1/22/24 Update: Rashbaum was the only defense attorney that appeared for Donna Adelson & Dugan appeared for the State. No trial date was set today, instead another case management hearing was set for 2/12/24 @ 2:30pm. Adelson appeared today by zoom & was questioned directly by the Judge Stephen Everett regarding whether she understands the potential conflict with Rashbaum's prior representation of Charlie & also the potential conflict given the possibility that Rashbaum could be called as a witness in this matter & that an attorney cannot be both a witness & counsel in the same case. She waived all conflicts & stated that she conferred with independent counsel.
1/31/24 Update: Amended: Answer to Demand for Discovery [Exhibits: Warrant, D. Adelson passport, property & evidence receipt, receipt for property (2), text photo, notes, manifest & FBI reports (6)] filed by Jack Campbell.

Hello all!
I will be going on vacation starting Sunday Feb. 11th - and will try & keep up with all the cases I am following! :)
I might post some ahead of time - since I have plans in Sweden - my sister's 75th birthday celebration!
So bare with me! :D So posting this a bit early.

Monday, February 12th:
*Case Management Hearing (@ 2:30pm ET) - FL - Daniel Eric Markel (41) (shot to death July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Donna Sue Adelson (73/now 74) arrested by FBI @ Miami Intl. Airport (11/13/23) on out-of-County warrant from Leon County arrest Warrant #FW231o2353 & indicted (11/15/23), charged (11/21/23) & arraigned (12/11/23) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & solicitation to commit 1st degree murder. No bond. Held at Miami-Dade County Jail (Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center. Leon County has 15 days to extradite from Miami-Dade County). Transferred from Miami-Dade to Leon County on 11/20/23. Held without bond (murder), $25K (conspiracy) & $25K (solicitation) on 11/21/23. Plead not guilty.
Judge Stephen Everett. Prosecutor Georgia Cappelman. Defense attorney Robert Alexander Morris & Daniel Rashbaum.
Case & Court info from 11/13/23 thru 1/8/24 reference post #178 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-murdered-by-hitmen-4-guilty-22.701144/page-9

1/11/24 Update: Donna Adelson’s docket: Instead of 1/30/24 at 2:30pm with Judge Everett as previously updated from 1/9/24, the new Notice of Case Management Conference is for Monday 1/22/24 at 10:30am with Judge Everett.
1/18/24 Update: Amended: Answer to Demand for Discovery [Exhibits: Continuum Leasing Docs (6 pages)] filed by Jack Campbell, State attorney.
1/22/24 Update: Rashbaum was the only defense attorney that appeared for Donna Adelson & Dugan appeared for the State. No trial date was set today, instead another case management hearing was set for 2/12/24 @ 2:30pm. Adelson appeared today by zoom & was questioned directly by the Judge Stephen Everett regarding whether she understands the potential conflict with Rashbaum's prior representation of Charlie & also the potential conflict given the possibility that Rashbaum could be called as a witness in this matter & that an attorney cannot be both a witness & counsel in the same case. She waived all conflicts & stated that she conferred with independent counsel.
1/31/24 Update: Amended: Answer to Demand for Discovery [Exhibits: Warrant, D. Adelson passport, property & evidence receipt, receipt for property (2), text photo, notes, manifest & FBI reports (6)] filed by Jack Campbell.
Have a great vacation and thank you for all you do for all of us and all the victims Niner!

Who do you think influenced him? Katie said she did what she did for him, but I think that he did what he did for her.

Katie. He sure had lots of unfortunate addictions. The excerpts from his letter to Katie sheds light on this especially after reading his entire appeal. I can't decide which of them is the most stubborn, immature, and delusional. Two peas in a pod.

Katie. He sure had lots of unfortunate addictions. The excerpts from his letter to Katie sheds light on this especially after reading his entire appeal. I can't decide which of them is the most stubborn, immature, and delusional. Two peas in a pod.

From what you posted: While Garcia makes no statements of guilt, remorse or implications about himself, Magbanua or the suspected financiers of Markel’s murder, the Adelsons, he pledged to continue his battle to freedom.

thats the issue. He was the shooter. Nothing about that.
you are right. This entire case is all about losers. Some obvious, others with doctorate level educations and millions.

No remorse or mention of what he did.. says it all. He held the gun, he pulled the trigger.
Sorry, i thought my last one was gone..

COTTONWEAVER You found it! I had wondered about #5 Text photo I saw listed on court docs and figured it had to be something really incriminating. And voila. Legal talk confuses me..but I can understand when someone is trying to perpetrate half truths and passing them off as acceptable and normal behavior, Yuck! The public comments meant to be zealous advocacy for ones client can quickly cross the line of unethical behavior.
(paraphrasing/wtte) "Nothing wrong with going to the airport?" "Nothing wrong/suspicious about booking a one-way ticket to a nonextradition country?" Ya' sure, but combine that with texts of "can't get a fair jury in Florida." Hmm, fleeing to escape prosecution (at worst) and consciousness of guilt (at best). Claiming she was being tortured in jail, when in fact there were recordings to the contrary verifying suicide ideation: "We can do it together. Leave a note." During the call, Donna Adelson made comments about possibly taking her own life and spoke about a text message from her daughter, Wendi Adelson. The call took place on November 7, shortly after Charles Adelson was convicted of murdering his brother-in-law, Dan Markel.
PS Providing a link for the "We can do it together." But ya'll are pretty good at remembering. Just thinking out loud, now. For a couple who have spent 50 years together, shared emails, shared accounts, shared ownership of everything, contemplating suiciding together and attempting to leave the country together...one being incarcerated without the other must be an unfathomable event.
Narcissists rarely want to end their lives,

Sigfredo would have been more useful as a witness against Charlie, but imo more walled off from Donna and even more so from Wendy. His appellate lawyer practically begged him to snitch, in a way that I have rarely ever seen, but the genius insisted on living his life out in prison. You can bring a horse to water but you can't make him think.
Why get an attorney, if you aren’t going to listen to them.
The A’s ;ove DR because they can manipulate him imo.

Why get an attorney, if you aren’t going to listen to them.
The A’s ;ove DR because they can manipulate him imo.
Remember, Rash was Donna’s attorney first. He only represented Charlie when Markus could not, for some reason, and per Rash, the affected parties had to waive the conflict in order for him to do so. Almost immediately after Charlie was convicted, Rash resumed his prior representation of Donna, with waivers again being signed, per Rash.

In my opinion those who are asking how Donna can be represented by Rash when he represented Charlie, given all of the conflicts, have it all backwards. The biggest conflict problem, in my opinion, is for CHARLIE, and how he could have been represented by an an attorney whose loyalties had been to his alleged co-conspirator until just before his trial, and then again shortly afterwards.

In my opinion, this is a possible basis for an ineffective assistance claim.
In my opinion, Charlie’s story works better for Donna than it does for Charlie. (Theoretically, the jury does not have to believe it is true, only that DONNA believed it. Not saying they will, but it‘s a much easier lift than for them to have to buy the whole story as with Charlie). This story, in my opinion, appears to have been crafted to explain away the evidence against both Charlie AND DONNA, particularly the bump calls and the TV code. Therefore, I question whose decision it may have been to use that story, particularly if that story was first mentioned to Rash at the time of, and in the context of, his original representation of Donna.

Of course,Donna may, should she be convicted, argue ineffective assistance based on the conflict, as would be her right. But, again, the true conflict in my opinion is for Charlie, as Rash was Donna’s lawyer from the beginning, and continues to be now.

From everything I have seen I believe there may have been no separation in Donna’s own psyche between what was in her interest and what was in her children’s interest, and that may hold for her choice of attorney and his choice of defense(s) to use in this matter.

Last edited:
Remember, Rash was Donna’s attorney first. He only represented Charlie when Markus could not, for some reason, and per Rash, the affected parties had to waive the conflict in order for him to do so. Almost immediately after Charlie was convicted, Rash resumed his prior representation of Donna, with waivers again being signed, per Rash.

In my opinion those who are asking how Donna can be represented by Rash when he represented Charlie, given all of the conflicts, have it all backwards. The biggest conflict problem, in my opinion, is for CHARLIE, and how he could have been represented by an an attorney whose loyalties had been to his alleged co-conspirator until just before his trial, and then again shortly afterwards.

In my opinion, Charlie’s story works better for Donna than it does for Charlie. (Theoretically, the jury does not have to believe it is true, only that DONNA believed it. Not saying they will, but it‘s a much easier lift than for them to have to buy the whole story as with Charlie). This story, in my opinion, appears to have been crafted to explain away the evidence against both Charlie AND DONNA, particularly the bump calls and the TV code. Therefore, I question whose decision it may have been to use that story, particularly if that story was first mentioned to Rash at the time of, and in the context of, his original representation of Donna.

Of course,Donna may, should she be convicted, argue ineffective assistance based on the conflict, as would be her right. But, again, the true conflict in my opinion is for Charlie, as Rash was Donna’s lawyer from the beginning, and continues to be now.

From everything I have seen I believe there may have been no separation in Donna’s own psyche between what was in her interest and what was in her children’s interest, and that may hold for her choice of attorney and his choice of defense(s) to use in this matter.
Yes. There is a good discussion on this on STS when I think it was Steven Webster and other attorneys discussing these issues. Maybe it was a week or two ago. They have sounded the alarms of what I believe to be very purposeful actions by Donna and Charlie. Waiving conflicts now doesn’t mean they won’t be claiming ineffective assistance of counsel in appeals later. I absolutely believe it is part of a ruse to set this all up for an appeal.

Attorney Baptiste, Webster’s partner, I believe was the one who explained on STS a few weeks ago that Donna’s defense is easier than Charlie’s because she will only need to say she acted based on what her son told her. I don’t think it will work, but depending on the jury, who knows. I think she is going to waive speedy trial & wait to go on trial when she’s even older to really try to pull the senior citizen card. I think she will all of a sudden be havjng all sorts of physical complaints to help gin up that story.

Let’s hope it all doesn’t work.

Interesting concept. Try to imagine 4 gang members being represented by one attorney, for the same crime, in 4 separate trials. You NEVER see that happen, huh? IMO DA/CA/HA think they "have the gold" so "they make the rules." If the "A" family chooses to use one attorney, they have the money to pay and consider him an insider (acceptor) of their family dynamic of course they want to keep him! He goes along with everything the Domestic Coordinator wants, everything the Mouth of the South Florida (Charlie) says, and knows HA has the deep pockets to keep paying his fees. Just because Rash has the inside skinny on the family, the evidence against the A's doesn't necessarily make him the best or most obvious person to defend them in perpetuity.
(Just imagining office gossip, bonuses for everybody!) The prosecutors office brilliantly realized it is near impossible to convict two people of the same crime (ie judging the lesser of two evils) and better to separate the trials.
PS...Will miss you @Niner and hope someone tapes the game for you! Hmmm Sweden in February...I think I'll stay in sunny Ca for another 4 months. Would love to see the Northern lights...

At trial the officer testified it was a 20 minute trip the way she took it vs. a 10 minute trip if she had gone the other way, if I recall correctly. That’s not nothing.
She was running late for lunch , no shower( laundry ), shopped for gas, booze & glue for a toy fix.... & took the long way thru Trescott shortcut...I'm not convinced this is reasonable behavior.

DR said he started representing DA in 2016. Interesting timing?

DR said he started representing DA in 2016. Interesting timing?

I got distracted from this case in thread #1 (it was a slow one) by several other cases so am catching up now.

So if the PCA dropped June 2, why did it take the As until August 3 before getting their lawyers to issue a statement?

Were they in denial, shock, busy shuffling assets, checking for non-extradidition countries, or thinking it would blow over? (I can't help but visualize some of the faces DA made during her arraignment hearing thinking about this).

Also, was this the first time DR was ever hired by them, or did he rep them in previous civil matters? TIA.

Wendi's senior ad ' you are the sunshine of our lives, all our love Mom, Dad and Charlie' ( not Rob)

Context Rob was pressured to marry his first wife in 2004, aged 31, Wendi was class of 96 at Taravella HS so Rob would've been around 23 yo when the ad was composed and was at Medical School)

Also, @minusfour details on Harvey's professional history and LMAO Charlie being one of the most renowned perios in North America

Last edited:
“I plan on fighting this with every breath I have,” Garcia wrote in his note, according to the newspaper. “I’m going to start with my direct appeal and continue exhausting every appeal in the book until they get so tired of seeing me they’ll give up and free me.”
Really? Now he gets a backbone and has goals.
Wendi's senior ad ' you are the sunshine of our lives, all our love Mom, Dad and Charlie' ( not Rob)

Context Rob was pressured to marry his first wife in 2004, aged 31, Wendi was class of 96 at Taravella HS so Rob would've been around 23 yo when the ad was composed and was at Medical School)

Also, @minusfour details on Harvey's professional history and LMAO Charlie being one of the most renowned perios in North America
Now, CA is the most renowned ex-perio in North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member