GUILTY FL - Jordan Davis, 17, shot to death, Satellite Beach, 23 Nov 2012 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested in this trial, but not interested enough to read jail house letters. Do we have Cliff notes on them or a summary? :jail:

There is talk of thugs, "the blacks" in FL in general and how he views them negatively, he has strong feelings about the "culture", he has an intense dislike of gansta rap music and seems IMO to view all black males of a certain age as thugs based on their clothing and music choices. There is no usage of the "N" word word but it is clear he has some pretty strong ideas that are negative in general about AAs.

All of the own is simply my own take after reading the letters.

This case is going to a Court of Law for a jury of Dunn's peers to decide the truth of the matter in this sad event including but not limited to who was the aggressor. His Civil Rights include a presumption of innocence till proven guilty and that has not happened to date. My opinion is as good as anyone else and as informed with what we all know now. Dunn says he shot in self - defense and maybe he did.
We'll see when all the evidence comes out and the jury has a verdict.

He has the right to be presumed innocent but then so do the adults in the other car. If we assume he shot in self defense we're denying the innocence of the other parties who have not even been charged with anything.

The presumption of innocence means that he has the right to a fair trial, not that people reading the news can't form their own opinions about what happened.

JMO he says they threatened his life pointing a shotgun at him. He shot at them 8 or 9 times. They did not shoot back. Ergo they did not threaten him with a shotgun. There is no way that a bunch of aggressive thugs threatening people with a shotgun would just drive away and not shoot back if someone shoots at them and already killed one of their friends.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -

In the first day of jury selection Monday in the Michael Dunn trial, 36 potential jurors were excused and dozens more were sent home early but asked to return at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

(snip)

Just before 11 a.m. Monday, Judge Russell Healey began addressing potential jurors, telling them they would be sequestered during the trial, which could last up to two weeks. Healey also issued orders Monday to keep the jurors' identities confidential.

(snip)

http://www.news4jax.com/news/jury-s...rial/-/475880/24252716/-/56wuh6z/-/index.html

I am glad that the jury will be sequestered.

Also from the article:

Davis' death and the Dunn trial has international attention partly because of the similarities to the trial of George Zimmerman in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, but also because the prosecutor in the case is the same: State Attorney Angela Corey.

It will be very interesting to see Corey in action ...

I don't think they were kids. Davis was 17 which is an almost adult as were two of the others in the car while the driver of the car was 20 and on probation. Interacting with strangers is never good in this day and age even with 3 companions with a middle age man. We have no idea what people can and will do.

Dunn chose to begin the interaction with this group of unknown (to him) youth.
Yes, this case illustrates well why such interactions can by dangerous. It's too bad Dunn couldn't have sucked it up and been patient for the few minutes it would have taken before either he or the youths left after their convenience store transaction. It's not like Dunn was in a space where he was unable to leave, or was expecting to be there for a long period of time. It was a convenience store--get in, get your stuff, get out.

It's sad he couldn't be patient and tolerant for a few minutes.

Did Dunn express racist thoughts and opinion in the letters? What did the letters tell us about Dunn?

I am interested in this trial, but not interested enough to read jail house letters. Do we have Cliff notes on them or a summary? :jail:

That's your choice, but that makes you less informed.

Davis and the other late teenagers were closer to being an adult then a kid or child. Sure, many things start over stupid issues resulting in a tragedy. The core of the these stories is don't interchange with strangers and put ourselves in a dangerous position. I have no doubt that the 4 thought they could push around a middle aged man with impunity. It's an unpredictable, violent world out there. How do we know who is carrying a gun to back up their play?
Actually, generally the jails and prisons are fairly quiet. The COs don't like noise.

You made an assumption about the youths here, saying, "I have no doubt that the 4 thought they could push around a middle aged man with impunity."

This case is going to a Court of Law for a jury of Dunn's peers to decide the truth of the matter in this sad event including but not limited to who was the aggressor. His Civil Rights include a presumption of innocence till proven guilty and that has not happened to date. My opinion is as good as anyone else and as informed with what we all know now. Dunn says he shot in self - defense and maybe he did.
We'll see when all the evidence comes out and the jury has a verdict.

I suggest we all wait to see the evidence in a Court of Law. Right now all we got is our own opinions based on some knowledge of the tragedy published by media. Of course, it is a discussion board where people exchange opinions, particularly when we don't have the facts yet. I think we all know what is out there at this time including a presumption of innocence till proven guilty which has not happened cause we have not had the trial yet.

It's interesting that it seems rather important for Dunn to have a presumption of innocence, but the actual bona fide victims aren't given the same courtesy. Lovely.

As someone upthread noted (Donjeta?), this isn't a court of law. The posters here are not required to offer Dunn the presumption of innocence. We aren't the jury.

Everyone's opinions are welcome here. However, posters will give weight to opinions which are based on knowledge and facts.

I apologize for the terminology. At my age, I often call 20-somethings "kids" and mean no disrespect. I realize that they are young men. But at 17, I still consider Jordan a teenager.

He was a 17 year old teenager due to turn 18 on February 16th almost 3 months later. As the teenager years go from 13 to 19, he was an older teen. The 6th amendment talks about people who are charged with a crime and their rights which does not include those who are bystanders and uncharged by the full weight of the government.

The young ones aren't the ones who started an altercation here. Saying you figure they thought they could push around a middle aged man implies they were somehow the aggressors when that simply isn't the case.

It's frustrating when admittedly uninformed opinions are offered without the willingness to actually do the research and reading.

Yes, the jail letters contained statements that, IMO, could easily be construed as bigoted, ignorant, and/or racist.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

<modsnip> I think the real reason Sherp won't read the letters her/himself is because deep down they're afraid it'll confirm the notion that Dunn really is a racist, intolerant bigot.

Yes, there is a forthcoming trial, and yes I'm waiting to get all the facts, particularly, looking forward to the kids who were in the car with Jordan bing witnesses. But there are things we know to be true: Dunn's version of the story says that he got out of his car and told the kids to turn their music down. They did but Jordan told him to turn it back up. I would have done the same. They were in a public parking lot. Who does Dunn think he is telling someone to turn their music down? He was in a car at a convenience store. If the music bothered him, he could have simply drove away but decided to be confrontational instead.

I do, as PP have said, find it interesting that you want to give Dunn the botd but not the victims in this case. It seems there are those who want to turn this into the Zimmerman trial, right down to the adamance that 17 means you're not a kid anymore, as if that somehow makes it all ok.

IMO, Dunn had preconceived notions about black people and about the kids in that car that night. They were thugs with their loud gangsta music. How dare they. He antagonized them, probably expecting them to get belligerent, maybe even hoping they would be. He probably even had it in his head that they had a gun too, because of course they would. Apparently they never even got out of their car. Dunn says he felt threatened by something he saw that he thought was a shotgun. If it was, he would be dead. It would have already been out, in their hands and ready to go. Dunn says it was quicker to get his gun from his glover compartment and fire multiple times. Really? That's quicker than backing up and driving away? No, he did exactly what he wanted to do that night. Those 'thugs' gotta be taught a lesson, you see? If ask them to turn their annoying music down they better listen. I think it's possible that they didn't even say anything to Dunn after they turned the music back up, just the idea that they did was enough for him. Yep, this is going to be a good one. Can't wait.

<modsnip>

I don't care if Dunn is racist or actually about him enough to waste time reading his jail house letters.

My post was deleted! I knew I shouldn't have mentioned Volderman. Some things never change...

I'm kind of sick of writing these long, detailed posts only to have them deleted without even giving,me a chance to correct what I said like they would anywhere else. It kind of sucks, mods.

I just don't understand the point of even posting your opinion when you're admittedly not that informed on the case or the people involved. Why even say anything?

My post was deleted! I knew I shouldn't have mentioned Volderman. Some things never change...

I'm kind of sick of writing these long, detailed posts only to have them deleted without even giving,me a chance to correct what I said like they would anywhere else. It kind of sucks, mods.

I just don't understand the point of even posting your opinion when you're admittedly not that informed on the case or the people involved. Why even say anything?

I'm reviewing the decision right now. I'm snipping out the complaints about other posters' opinions. That's why we have an alert feature. It's the in the top right hand corner of every post - the little red triangle.

OK so here's a LOT of reading for those who find themselves caring to do so:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story...chael-dunn-jail-letters-jordan-davis/4836401/

The letters written by Michael Dunn, the man accused of the first degree murder of Jordan Davis, have become controversial. In them, Dunn shares his perspective regarding the state of race relations in Jacksonville.

The State Attorney's Office released the 156 pages of court documents from the State Attorney's Office, including evidence logs and letters Dunn wrote in jail.

On page 67 there's a letter for his GF that sounds a lot like he's coaching her with her lines.
---
Well, I suppose this settles the question whether he's a racist or not, in his own words:

That same month he wrote this letter to an undisclosed recipient:

I just got off the phone with you and we were talking about how racist the blacks are up here. The more time I am exposed to these people the more prejudiced against them I become. I suppose the white folks who live here are pretty much anti-black, at least the ones who have been exposed to them.
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/local/2014/01/18/4624713/

(snip)

The new group of 30 sworn in comes from a second group of 100 jurors that were called to the Courthouse today to be screened to potentially serve on the jury for the trial of Michael Dunn. That&#8217;s in addition to the 100 person jury pool that was screened Monday.

Judge Russell Healey told the pool he expects jury selection will go in to Wednesday. He says the trial could begin as early as Wednesday afternoon or Thursday.

(snip)

http://www.wokv.com/news/news/jury-selection-michael-dunns-trial-begins-day-two-/ndCPx/

Don't know if we are allowed to link Twitter. I'm following #DunnTrial and there is talk that we might get video feed of the jury selection this afternoon. Fingers crossed!

I believe we can post tweets from journalists regarding the trial.

I'm reviewing the decision right now. I'm snipping out the complaints about other posters' opinions. That's why we have an alert feature. It's the in the top right hand corner of every post - the little red triangle.

Thank you Kim. Sorry for the post. I'll try and keep it appropriate next time. Thanks for putting it back. Also, I can't edit my follow up post. Will you please delete it for me?

OK so here's a LOT of reading for those who find themselves caring to do so:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story...chael-dunn-jail-letters-jordan-davis/4836401/

The letters written by Michael Dunn, the man accused of the first degree murder of Jordan Davis, have become controversial. In them, Dunn shares his perspective regarding the state of race relations in Jacksonville.

The State Attorney's Office released the 156 pages of court documents from the State Attorney's Office, including evidence logs and letters Dunn wrote in jail.

On page 67 there's a letter for his GF that sounds a lot like he's coaching her with her lines.
---
Well, I suppose this settles the question whether he's a racist or not, in his own words:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/local/2014/01/18/4624713/

And quite likely that's the idea that went into his decision that night to confront and use deadly force on the car of loud blacks. Do we know yet if these letters will be allowed in trial? I hope so. It's pretty much evidence that he's racist and has an issue with black people in general.

And quite likely that's the idea that went into his decision that night to confront and use deadly force on the car of loud blacks. Do we know yet if these letters will be allowed in trial? I hope so. It's pretty much evidence that he's racist and has an issue with black people in general.

As mentioned in the discussion I linked earlier, it will come down to whether Dunn shot Jordan out of fear or anger. IMO, it will be shown beyond doubt that he shot Jordan in anger and he will be found guilty of murder. JMO. OMO. MOO.

Stephanie Brown reports that their partner ActionNewsJax will be live streaming the trial: https://twitter.com/ActionNewsJax

Also reporting that the trial could begin as early as tomorrow afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor