FL FL - Justin Walker & Brian McCluney, overdue fishermen on boat, Port Canaveral, 16 Aug 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Brittney Donovan on Twitter (Video)
Some of the first volunteers are starting to show up at the Mayport boat ramp. Patrick Sawyer is bringing out his surveyor boat. A few other boaters are pulling in with their vessels @ActionNewsJax @WOKVNews
6:11 AM - 20 Aug 2019

Kailey Tracy on Twitter
The sun is slowly starting to rise here at the boat ramp in Port Canaveral. We’ve seen three to four boaters this morning. Most are fishermen who say they plan to keep an eye out for anything related to Brian McCluney and Justin Walker. #BringThemHome @FCN2go
ECZ-kx_X4AAKYJs.jpg

6:16 AM - 20 Aug 2019

Brittney Donovan on Twitter (Video)
A handful of local fishermen and captains are already here at the Mayport boat ramp this morning waiting to learn how they can help in the search today @ActionNewsJax @WOKVNews
6:39 AM - 20 Aug 2019

MyJFRD on Twitter (Video)
Another amazing turnout to help! #prayersneeded #bringhomeourbrothers @CityofJax @ffxfirerescue
7:08 AM - 20 Aug 2019

Brittney Donovan on Twitter
Volunteers waiting for their assignments at Mayport Boat ramp @ActionNewsJax @WOKVNews
ECaMSzxWwAEnrG5.jpg

7:16 AM - 20 Aug 2019

MyJFRD on Twitter (Video)
Put a call out for help....and they answer! Let’s find these two guys now! #humanity #faith #bringthemhome #teamwork @CityofJax @ffxfirerescue
8:36 AM - 20 Aug 2019

USCGSoutheast on Twitter
#UPDATE 13: @USCG crews continue to search for the overdue @PortCanaveral boaters. An HC-130 search plane and 2 CBP C-130 planes are conducting a first light search and 2 87-ft patrol boats and a fast response cutter searched through the night and remain on scene. #HappeningNow
ECamr1nXUAI7cbL.png

9:12 AM - 20 Aug 2019

Last edited:
It has been four days.

If the boat is still intact but simply out of commission due to mechanical troubles, then I can see them safely floating until they are located, provided they have enough water.

If they have run out of water then their situation will become dire quickly. I think they can last without food for up to two or three weeks...

One thing that is puzzling me is that if they believe that Brian's tackle bag was thrown overboard as a breadcrumb, wouldn't Brian have tried to include a note of some sort in it? Something to say what's happened? The bag obviously floats so is there a possibility that a note could remain legible if folded and inserted into an object?
Just thinking out loud.....

The search started so quickly and there are so many people looking for them.....I have a positive feeling regarding the outcome of this case.

I hope they are found safe today!
JMO

There's a photo of Brian's tackle bag at this link (can't post it because it's from a Facebook post within the article).

AUG 19, 2019
Recovered tackle box gives loved ones hope of finding missing firefighters
[...]

"It means they're out there and they're alive and they're trying to tell us 'We're here and to come get us,'" JB, sister of Justin Walker, said on "Shepard Smith Reporting."

[...]

On Monday, McCluney's wife, Stephanie Young McCluney, wrote on Facebook that she confirmed her husband's tackle bag turned up 50 miles off the coast of St. Augustine.

"Right now we're all just feeling that they're still in their boat and their floating and obviously with the sign of the tackle box, they're there and they're putting out breadcrumbs for us," an emotional Bergstresser told Fox News' Shepard Smith. "That tackle bag... that really helped us."

[...]

AUG 19, 2019
By air and sea, a desperate search to find a local firefighter, friend missing off Florida coast
[...]

Futch said Walker is originally from Florida and has been a Fairfax County firefighter for seven years. He is married and lives in the Dumfries area. Futch said he is a motorcyclist and volunteers with the Strength and Honor Motorcycle Club. Walker’s dream was to be a firefighter.

“He has an amazing personality,” Futch said. “Always energetic and happy. Always wants to help people.”

Fairfax County fire officials said Walker is a master technician stationed in Franconia. They said some Fairfax County firefighters traveled to Florida to assist in the search for the missing men.

“We remain optimistic they will be found,” the department said in a statement Monday.

Powers said McCluney is married, has two children and is a decorated Navy veteran. Powers said both men were well trained to survive on the water.

Futch said the outpouring of support has been heartwarming.

“The ocean and the air are saturated with average people who want to help,” Futch said.

I had been following this on a Central Florida news site that stated the boat they were on was in need of repair or had repairs done and they were testing it to sell.Also I was aware of the storms off the coast of North Fl. since Thursday evening, how would they not know about the weather?
Bad combination of boat with mechanical issues and bad weather.They need to look further north following the Gulf Stream.
National Hurricane Center monitoring Atlantic disturbance near North Florida
USCGSoutheast on Twitter
Missing Boaters - Pensacola Fishing Forum
Coast Guard searches for missing boaters off Florida coast
I know I read about the mechanical issues on Click 6 but can not find it now, will keep looking.I think they might have removed this info from the articles.
The forecast weather was supposed to stay north of where they were fishing but if they were disabled and drifted north they would have been right in it. To look at historical weather click this link Air Safety Investigation Resource 2016® Then click on the top link for natl and local radar. Next page click on the green radar icon. When page with map comes up type in the date on the left side and click "update map" times are in Universal (Greenich time) You can click on the map to make a geographic area bigger. Any time you change the time y ou have to click "update map". The website was put together by Piper aircraft. Their crash investigators use it.

There's a photo of Brian's tackle bag at this link (can't post it because it's from a Facebook post within the article).

AUG 19, 2019
Recovered tackle box gives loved ones hope of finding missing firefighters
[...]

"It means they're out there and they're alive and they're trying to tell us 'We're here and to come get us,'" JB, sister of Justin Walker, said on "Shepard Smith Reporting."

[...]

On Monday, McCluney's wife, Stephanie Young McCluney, wrote on Facebook that she confirmed her husband's tackle bag turned up 50 miles off the coast of St. Augustine.

"Right now we're all just feeling that they're still in their boat and their floating and obviously with the sign of the tackle box, they're there and they're putting out breadcrumbs for us," an emotional Bergstresser told Fox News' Shepard Smith. "That tackle bag... that really helped us."

[...]

68972135_10157457695799603_236885012790640640_n.jpg

Just saw the article in Yahoo.
How gut-wrenching.
:(
Bag found by searchers looking for Florida firefighters who vanished on fishing trip
"...But 6 o'clock, I didn't hear and I still could see that he didn't read my messages – they hadn't even been delivered yet … at 8 p.m. we called the Coast Guard."

Does anyone know why the messages weren't even delivered ? I can see him being unable to answer if they're clinging to the upturned boat... But does this mean the phone is inoperable--as in lost in the water ?

My husband has a boat and occasionally goes out fishing in the Atlantic. I believe cell phones, depending on the cell tower, reach only to about 3-5, maybe up to 12 miles offshore, depending on your carrier.

I assume this boat does not, unfortunately, have VHF and a good antenna. Also, I am assuming no flares were on board. :(

It looks like a center console boat, not something you want to be in day and night as there is no real shelter.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why the messages weren't even delivered ? I can see him being unable to answer if they're clinging to the upturned boat... But does this mean the phone is inoperable--as in lost in the water ?

I wondered that as well. This might be a dumb question but could it be that cell service is somewhat iffy out there in the ocean?

ETA... Just read Jersey Girl's post and happy my question wasn't dumb after all... lol

Just saw the article in Yahoo.
How gut-wrenching.
:(
Bag found by searchers looking for Florida firefighters who vanished on fishing trip
"...But 6 o'clock, I didn't hear and I still could see that he didn't read my messages – they hadn't even been delivered yet … at 8 p.m. we called the Coast Guard."

Possible answers here. I searched apple support.

Actually, iMessage not sayingDelivered” simply means the messages has not yet been successfully delivered to the recipient's device due to some reasons. Reasons could be: their phone not having available Wi-Fi or cellular data networks, they have their iPhone off or on Do Not Disturb mode, etc.

ETA. Not BBM

Last edited:
From previously posted article Heavy.com

BBM

Justin Walker & Brian McCluney: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

"Stephanie McCluney shared with CBS News that the boat had experienced previous mechanical problems. “We know these things happen. It’s not the first time the Coast Guard’s been called or Sea Tow has been called,” she said in a phone interview. They’ve been out there before to tow us back in,” she said in a phone interview.

“Mechanical issue on the boat. I’m guessing, mechanical, electrical. They’re just sitting there floating with no systems working right now, waiting to be picked up. Drifting,” she told CBS4"
To quote myself, because this just popped into my mind, if they were able to call for help at previous times from the boat, what may be different this time that they haven't called or been able to call?

Goosebumps...

Missing boater's wife helps search by air as rescue efforts continue off Florida coast
“This is still absolutely a rescue mission. We're talking about a decorated combat vet here. We're talking about a firefighter paramedic. These guys have the skills. He was raised on the water his entire life. These guys have the skills to survive for a long time,” Jacksonville fire Chief Keith Powers said during a Monday afternoon news conference.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LVTRUCRIME
Back