GUILTY FL - Kaitlyn Hunt for statutory rape of 14yo girl, Vero Beach, 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I totally get that she is legally an adult, and I agree there is a big difference between a senior and a freshman, especially an 18-14 difference. But I also think the fact that they were schoolmates is a bit mitigating. I knew plenty of girls, including myself, who dated seniors when we were freshmen. I can't think of any of those senior guys that I'd automatically paint as weird, predatory (well, beyond the usual "wants sex" attitude of many teens), or very immature. Some of the relationships were long term. Some were just hookups.

I do think a black and white approach can be very problematic when dealing with two high school students. A felony child abuse record is pretty darn harsh, as is sex offender registry (which I realize isn't the case here, but just speaking generally). I DO wish that prosecutors wouldn't seek to make a point when we are dealing with a teen who has barely crossed the age of majority, and dealing with sex acts that were not coerced.

And that's talking any gender. Boy/girl, boy/boy, girl/girl, and including the whole spectrum of non-binary gender identifications!

I'm curious what the 14 year old has said about the relationship.

The state of FL is in a pickle, imo. The parents have a duty to look after their child. Their initial requests were reasonable ones-honestly, I think you tend to see stat rape charges in situations like this where the person more legally responsible wont leave it alone and has been told to.

I dont argue that stat rape laws are out dated and dont start me on SO registries, but in this case the offender's family seems to be smearing the victims family and that is also a horrendous thing to do to this victim. IMO. It was a situation that might have been solved between the 18 year old and the parents of the 14 year old, but Kaitlyn made her choice.

I think she is receiving some very bad advice from her atty.

"Our client is a model citizen. She has been placed in an environment of school with her classmates where they go to school together, have lunch together, and play on the same team and are allowed to have communication and contact without barriers. Then when something develops between the two as a result of this environment created by the state, it leads to criminal prosecution."

This is a quote from Kaitlyn's atty. BBM. Really it is the states fault for putting them in school together? GMAB.

This is a quote from Kaitlyn's atty. BBM. Really it is the states fault for putting them in school together? GMAB.

When I went to school, we had one school for all ages. I guess that means it was just fine for teenagers to date 7 year olds. Who knew.

I would hate to see this case turn into a lesbian/gay rights case because I agree there shouldn't be a double-standard. I feel strongly that it needs to be left out of any punishment and it doesn't bode well for them that Kaitlyn's family will start playing that card. It's going to hurt them in the end and I agree with Gintanna that she is going to be made an example.

While I think the punishment is harsh, and from Kaitlyn's birthday in August of 2012 until she started the relationship, it's not like she suddenly matured and became aware of the laws and repercussions during that time-frame. I do feel it's unfair. However, that she send a text asking the younger girl if 'she liked girls' leads me to believe the younger girl could have been manipulated by someone 4 years older. Who knows what family life the younger one had that could have lead her to think Kaitlyn was some kind of savior - I mean, she ran away and why???? Because of the relationship or other problems? Kids just don't run away for now reason.

What was the answer from the younger one when Kaitlyn asked her that question and how did it proceed from there? Going to court could force discomfort for the younger girl, but there is so much detail left out of the complaint that it could stand to reason that Kaitlyn will look aggressive.

Why was Kaitlyn seemingly graduating one year later than others normally would? Was she held back once?

Per police affidavit, the two didn't start dating until November 2012. She was already 18 when the two started dating. So there is nothign unfair and nothing connected to August of 2012, because the two weren't dating prior to her turning 18.

Per police affidavit, the two didn't start dating until November 2012. She was already 18 when the two started dating. So there is nothign unfair and nothing connected to August of 2012, because the two weren't dating prior to her turning 18.

Do you happen to know when the 14yr old turned 14?

Well, I see what he is saying. You stick all these teenagers together. They have classes together, clubs together, lunch, extra-curriculars, dances, etc, its not a surprise that relationships develop, even freshman-senior relationships. And given the hormones in flux, sex isn't (or shouldn't be) a surprise either. Except not in the bathroom. Good grief, I mean, just...ewwww. :eek:

If its true that she kept coming around after being warned, then I guess I'd prefer to see a misdemeanor charge of harassment, stalking, whatever. But felony child abuse, with this kind of possible sentence is just unduly harsh for what would otherwise have been a consensual relationship.

Tere just has to be some kind of middle ground here, when its two young people in the same school, in a mutual, non-coerced relationship. Two people with adult bodies in close proximity 5 days out of 7 form a mutual attraction - and at least one set of parents doesn't want them involved, so they see each other in secret, sneaking out, etc. It's an old, old story, been going on forever, and will go on forever.

I can't help but wonder if what if the older student were a guy, honor society, football player, top of his class type. Many parents would be thrilled at the thought of their daughter dating a guy like that (not me, but I do know of those who would be). But not so thrilled if its a person of the same sex.

I just don't think this is a crime worth jail time. Or a permanent record.

Like I said, I was in school were we were not separated by ages. So based on what that attorney is saying, it would be fine if the teenagers started dating 7 year old? Because we were all together in one building? Really?
And I don't think any parents would be thrilled to find out their 14 year old daughter is having sex in the school bathroom with an adult male or female.

When I went to school, we had one school for all ages. I guess that means it was just fine for teenagers to date 7 year olds. Who knew.

No, the law here in this case deals with minors 12-16 years of age. Molestation of a 7 year old would be in a different category. JJ, there are good and decent people on both sides of this argument with these two girls.

There's no one insinuating that a 7 year old would be a appropriate partner for an 18 year old.

No, the law here in this case deals with minors 12-16 years of age. Molestation of a 7 year old would be in a different category. JJ, there are good and decent people on both sides of this argument with these two girls.

There's no one insinuating that a 7 year old would be a appropriate partner for an 18 year old.

The lawyer seem to be suggesting that because the two were in the same school, it was fine for them to date, regardless of their age difference. So, using that logic, why wouldn't it be fine for a teenager to date a 7 year old? Assuming the two were in the same school?

Kaitlyn had two chances to avoid this. She chose not to comply with the parent's request.

She is actually charged with lew and lascivious acts. She is refusing to take a deal on a child abuse charge instead. I think she is off in her behavior, but that is my personal opinion.

In any case, she as the adult, had the power to avoid it all. She knew what the law was and she persisted. Either way, she is going to be punished for refusing to abide by the law. She is rolling the dice in refusing the deal and I am betting she will be found guilty of lewd and lascivious acts because she is guilty of them under the law. Additionally, we do not know if this is her first substantially underage relationship...LE has that info I am sure. They are hitting her hard, so if it isnt a case of making an example of her then I think there is something more there. Again, jmo.

The lawyer seem to be suggesting that because the two were in the same school, it was fine for them to date, regardless of their age difference. So, using that logic, why wouldn't it be fine for a teenager to date a 7 year old? Assuming the two were in the same school?

No one thinks that, JJ.

There's enough really, to discuss here, without discussing things that the lawyer doesn't mean to imply.

Right, my only point was that she had just turned 18 in August and within that time frame, one doesn't magically go from a child to a full-fledged adult. I do think she's in the wrong for carrying it further once she had been warned.

A 14 year old freshman just beginning HS can easily have stars in their eyes when a senior pays attention to them in this way. I do think the younger one was manipulated to fit in in some way but the case is sad how it's being played out on both sides.

No one thinks that, JJ.

There's enough really, to discuss here, without discussing things that the lawyer doesn't mean to imply.

We dont know what the lawyer meant to imply. He made a broad sweeping statement that deflected the blame from his client by indicating the state put them together and was subsequently criminalizing their behavior. It is a ridiculous statement, and jjenny's post seems like a reasonable interpretation to me. :)

Kaitlyn had the power to stop this situation from getting this far and she still has the power to impact her own future before the decision is taken out of her hands once and for all.

Like I said, I was in school were we were not separated by ages. So based on what that attorney is saying, it would be fine if the teenagers started dating 7 year old? Because we were all together in one building? Really?
And I don't think any parents would be thrilled to find out their 14 year old daughter is having sex in the school bathroom with an adult male or female.

Kaitlyn had two chances to avoid this. She chose not to comply with the parent's request.

She is actually charged with lew and lascivious acts. She is refusing to take a deal on a child abuse charge instead. I think she is off in her behavior, but that is my personal opinion.

In any case, she as the adult, had the power to avoid it all. She knew what the law was and she persisted. Either way, she is going to be punished for refusing to abide by the law. She is rolling the dice in refusing the deal and I am betting she will be found guilty of lewd and lascivious acts because she is guilty of them under the law. Additionally, we do not know if this is her first substantially underage relationship...LE has that info I am sure. They are hitting her hard, so if it isnt a case of making an example of her then I think there is something more there. Again, jmo.

An 18 year-old adult who picked up a 14 year-old child, at night, against her parents' wishes, despite everything else, crossed the line. Add the sex at school situation and I can totally see the parents' point. What other options did they have? It's not like they didn't try to take care of the situation privately first.

I agree that the proposed sentence is too much. Why in the heck didn't she accept the plea?

Perhaps because she is a spoiled, enabled brat whose parents feel she can do no wrong.

This is pure conjecture on my part, but it would explain some things.

Do you realize the "plea" involved the possibility of her being categorized as a sex offender for life? She'd have to accept the plea deal, and then go before a judge who would decide if she would have sex offender for life status.

NO WAY she should accept that. NO WAY.

As I stated numerous times, with absolute proof provided (the plea deal, which makes ZERO mention of being on the sex offender registry), this is flat false. I provided a copy of the plea offer. I'm sorry if that is not as good as news articles. But sometimes news articles get things wrong.

This is not really pertinent, but it sounds like you didn't even google it. Prom contracts, Project Graduation contracts. I did google it before responding again, and yes, parents of adult students do sign them. Again, this isn't really all that relevant except to say that 18 year olds are very much the property of public high schools. Google it, honestly.

I sure as heck did. I actually downloaded three different ones.

Nowhere on any does it state that a student over the age of 18 must have parent signatures. In my experience, with my brother's in law, the information we were given was filtered through them and they were allowed to leave campus, drop out of school (in one case), go on field trips and go to the final graduation party, WITHOUT parental permission, once they turned 18.

And listen, I get your point. !8 year old seniors are still babies in most cases. I do agree with that. But there is a VAST difference intellectually, emotionally and sexually between most 18 and 14 year old kids. Vast. And most I know would not want anything to do with a kid that much younger than them - unless they have an issue themselves, such as they like to take advantage of someone who is less mature, or if they themselves are very immature. But both of those things may be recipes for predation.

I am very much concerned about imbalances of power when it comes to sexual relationships. If these kids were 20 and 24, that would be so much different because they would be near the same level developmentally. But 14 and 18 are to very different levels developmentally which is why, again, most healthy seniors do not socialize with freshman.

Here's the CNN article that says if she accepted this plea deal, she's have to plead guilty to child abuse. NO. I wouldn't allow my daughter to do that. That shuts doors, for her, for her whole life.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/24/justice/florida-teen-sex-case/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

That's true and I you're right. It is pretty harsh. But the problem is the alternative. I think she made a huge mistake in not accepting the deal.

I feel, very strongly, the same way.

Someone was "clever" in choosing to vilify the victims family with the same sex aspect and choosing to take to social media instead of fighting fair. This does not make it so-as others pointed out, it gives an opportunity to feed outrage without paying attention to the details of the case.

I think she is predatory and weird as well, to use gitana's words. She should have taken the plea deal, and I think the mandatory psych aspect might have given her a chance to explore the predatory aspect of her crime and help her get a handle on that.

Let me explain that I believe this because of the police report. It details how she came on to the younger child, persisted, knew she could "get in trouble" because of the age difference and assisted the 14 year old in running way.

If you add in that the parents claim she was twice warned to stay away from their daughter, well, I'm seeing someone who is taking advantage of a difference in maturity levels and/or someone who refuses to control her sexual impulses despite the consequences, which is what we see with sex predators.

All I can do is imagine what would happen if some 18 year old senior was coming around my 14 year old child and having sex with her. And I am imagining a guy because I think people on both sides are getting hung up on the Queer aspect of this case.

If some fully grown man, albeit still a student, was loitering around my little, freshman girl, telling her how much he loved her and making sexual moves toward her, I would be scared and appalled.

If that same man then ignored my admonitions to stay the heck away from my kid, and my kid continued sneaking around with him, I would rapidly become unglued, frankly. If that man then helped my baby run away to sleep over at his house, I would be frantic beyond belief.

If then, after I was led to believe it was over, a host of people came up and told me they caught this man having sex with my kid, that would be the last straw. I would do what I had to to protect her.

There is a possibility that I would not feel as horrified if the 18 year old was a girl because men tend to be much more predatory, in general (no stones), than women, but it wouldn't change things that much for me. The age difference is pivotal to me here.

I totally get that she is legally an adult, and I agree there is a big difference between a senior and a freshman, especially an 18-14 difference. But I also think the fact that they were schoolmates is a bit mitigating. I knew plenty of girls, including myself, who dated seniors when we were freshmen. I can't think of any of those senior guys that I'd automatically paint as weird, predatory (well, beyond the usual "wants sex" attitude of many teens), or very immature. Some of the relationships were long term. Some were just hookups.

I do think a black and white approach can be very problematic when dealing with two high school students. A felony child abuse record is pretty darn harsh, as is sex offender registry (which I realize isn't the case here, but just speaking generally). I DO wish that prosecutors wouldn't seek to make a point when we are dealing with a teen who has barely crossed the age of majority, and dealing with sex acts that were not coerced.

And that's talking any gender. Boy/girl, boy/boy, girl/girl, and including the whole spectrum of non-binary gender identifications!

I'm curious what the 14 year old has said about the relationship.

You make some good points. But, IMO whenever you have an age gap that big in that developmental spectrum, there is necessarily coercion going on. That's my opinion, not fact. But I base it on years of studying predators and adolescents.

Yeah, there are senior boys who date freshmen girls. I find them all to be creeps. I'm sorry. When there are beautiful juniors or seniors to choose from all over the place, who are not right out of junior high or middle school, why are they going for someone so different developmentally? Because it's easy to manipulate and coerce someone much younger into having sex. I;m sorry, but I have a real problem with that.

Well, I see what he is saying. You stick all these teenagers together. They have classes together, clubs together, lunch, extra-curriculars, dances, etc, its not a surprise that relationships develop, even freshman-senior relationships. And given the hormones in flux, sex isn't (or shouldn't be) a surprise either. Except not in the bathroom. Good grief, I mean, just...ewwww. :eek:

If its true that she kept coming around after being warned, then I guess I'd prefer to see a misdemeanor charge of harassment, stalking, whatever. But felony child abuse, with this kind of possible sentence is just unduly harsh for what would otherwise have been a consensual relationship.

Tere just has to be some kind of middle ground here, when its two young people in the same school, in a mutual, non-coerced relationship. Two people with adult bodies in close proximity 5 days out of 7 form a mutual attraction - and at least one set of parents doesn't want them involved, so they see each other in secret, sneaking out, etc. It's an old, old story, been going on forever, and will go on forever.

I can't help but wonder if what if the older student were a guy, honor society, football player, top of his class type. Many parents would be thrilled at the thought of their daughter dating a guy like that (not me, but I do know of those who would be). But not so thrilled if its a person of the same sex.

I just don't think this is a crime worth jail time. Or a permanent record.

I don;t think the crime merits any kind of prison or jail time either. And perhaps a permanent child abuse record is too harsh. But to say this is simply two, young people in a consensual relationship, well, what if this was a 13 year old boy and a 9 year old girl? At what age can a child consent? At what age is it possibly consent when dealing with differences in ages.

Our laws in this regard are generally designed to protect children from predation. 14 year old girls are easily manipulated into thinking it is consensual. They should not be having sex at all especially with someone four year older, at that age.

I will say this, though: One thing that may make this a bit different for the Queer community than the typical boy-girl statutory rape scenario, is the fact that there are much fewer gay kids than straight. It is not only much harder for gay kids to find anyone to date, it also an isolating thing and there is a huge amount of prejudice toward such kids and such relationships. So that may have motivated Kaitlynn to some degree. This may have been her first chance at a Queer relationship which may have made her fall hard and strong.

I;m trying to be fair here and consider all aspects. I really am. And I get that for a gay kid wandering around not ever connecting with a romantic partner and not even knowing the feeling they may one day be able to have, when such a kid finally meets another kid who appears to have those leanings as well, it may be natural to be attracted, no matter the difference in ages. And then I can see how that could be a very compelling relationship - two gay kids in love against the world and finding a harbor in their isolation.

But as an adult, predation is something that is very scary and if that was my child, all I would care about is that my baby is having sex and having sex with someone vastly older developmentally. Again, our laws in this regard are meant to protect fragile adolescents from such an imbalance of power.

Finally, to play the devil's advocate a bit, I will say that Debra La Fave, also a Florida woman, received basically the same plea deal as Kaitlynn was offered. A 24 year old woman was offered no prison time, three years house arrest and seven years probation. The only difference then, between a teacher molesting a student and Kaitlynn having sex with a fellow student, when it comes to what they were offered, was that La Favre would have to register as a sex offender for life.

I kind of have a problem with the similarity in deals offered given the vast difference in the level of harm committed.

But it gets worse: Debra La Favre has her charges entirely dropped and faced zero penalty whatsoever. So an 18 year old senior may face 15 years prison for having sex with a freshman while a fully adult teacher got off scott-free for raping a 14 year old student. So those who are concerned about discrimination may have a point:
Lafave pleaded guilty under the agreement and was sentenced to three years' of community control (house arrest) and seven years' probation. She effectively ended her teaching career with her guilty plea; her Florida teaching license was automatically revoked, and no other state will grant a teaching license to a convicted felon. Under the terms of her probation, she had to be home by 10 pm every day, could not leave Hillsborough County without a judge's permission, and could not be around children. She also had to register as a sex offender. There was widespread skepticism as to whether a man guilty of lewd or lascivious battery would have received similar treatment. On December 8, 2005, Marion County Circuit Judge Hale Stancil rejected the plea deal, claiming that any agreement that didn't require Lafave to serve some prison time "would undermine the credibility of this court, and the criminal justice system as a whole, and would erode public confidence in our schools." He set a trial date for April 10, 2006. The Marion County state's attorney subsequently dropped the charges. In a statement, the prosecutors cited an assessment by psychologist Martin Lazoritz that found the victim would be so severely traumatized by a potential trial that it would take as long as eight years for him to recover. Based on this, prosecutors said that putting Lafave on trial would not be worth the harm to the victim's well-being. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debra_Lafave
ETA: It looks like somehow, the terms of the plea deal did become la Favre's sentence. Not sure how that works when they dropped the charges,. But she didn't get off scott free, apparently.

A piece written by Kaitlyn's father...

http://www.xojane.com/issues/kaitlyn-hunt

This says the relationship began when both were minors, and that the younger one's parents never attempted to contact Kaitlyn's family, nor did they go through the school - but went straight to police once K turned 18.

That doesn't match at all with what is in the police affidavit. The sex didn't start until KH was 18, per the police affidavit. I am not sure why 14 year old parents had to contact KH's parents-KH was a legal adult. And KH didn't just turn 18 in February (which is when police were contacted). KH's birthday was in August. So right away it's obvious the story about 14 year old parents waiting until KH turned 18 to turn KH in simply is not true.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BranVan
Back