Found Alive FL - Kamiyah Mobley, newborn, Jacksonville, 10 July 1998 *guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know it's something to do with legal proceedings and a strategic move on the part of defense yada yada but it kills me that someone can stand in a court and say "Not Guilty" as a plea in something like this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5247569/Teen-snatched-birth-pleads-leniency-kidnapper.html

The Florida teen snatched at birth and raised under a false identity has issued an extraordinary plea for leniency as her kidnapper 'mom' prepares to stand trial next month - telling DailyMailTV: 'It's not like she tortured me.'

Last year, Kamiyah Mobley learned that she had been living a lie for 18 years, but she still refuses to label Gloria Williams a criminal for stealing her from her parents from the hospital when she was just eight hours old and posing as her biological mother.

'Don't get me wrong, I do feel like it was wrong. But we talked about it and I can understand at the time what was going on,' said Kamiyah, now aged 19. 'I sympathize with her, I'm not mad at her - of course I forgive her.

As thrilled as she was to meet her biological parents, there was never any likelihood that Alexis Manigo would slip effortlessly into Kamiyah Moberly's shoes and leave her kidnapper languishing unloved and alone in a jail cell.

'I know her and she's not a criminal,' she told DailyMailTV. 'It was emotional seeing her behind bars and not being able to touch her and hug her, knowing she's not coming home and I'm probably not going to see her for a very long time after that.

'To the world I was a victim but I'm too headstrong to personally call myself a victim. I do feel a crime was done but I don't feel comfortable calling myself a victim.'

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/jacksonville/girl-kidnapped-at-birth-pleas-for-leniency-for-woman-who-raised-her

Manigo told the Daily Mail she has spent the past year forging new ties with her biological parents in Jacksonville -- Shanara Mobley, 36, and Craig Aiken, 42 -- as well as getting to know the numerous siblings she never realized she had.

She said she has already formed an "incredible bond" with Aiken, staying at his Jacksonville home for weeks at a time and celebrating Christmas with him, his wife Shannon, 42, and her eight half-siblings.

But she said her defense of Williams has made it harder for Manigo to rebuild her relationship with Mobley, who last year wrote on Facebook: "The tears won't stop. I see my baby girl wanting this lady in her life and not me."

"It's been harder for my mother to cope. We are working on our relationship. I don't like to define which one is my mother, I like to be respectful of both parties."

Judge weighs if evidence in high-profile kidnapping case will be released

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/jacksonville/some-evidence-to-be-released-in-high-profile-kidnapping-case_

The attorneys have been able to agree on releasing some personal banking records, with the account numbers hidden, and to not use any medical records unless they are brought up during trial.

But the television stations' attorneys are arguing that information, including police reports and photos from the home where Williams raised Manigo should be released.

Aho could make a decision as soon as Monday's arguments conclude or later in the week.

Jacksonville hospital kidnapping case: Gloria Williams may not go to trial

A plea deal for the woman accused of kidnapping a Jacksonville baby and raising the little girl as her own daughter for 18 years could be coming as soon as Monday.

Jury selection for Gloria Williams' trial was supposed to start next week, but in court on Thursday, Action News Jax learned it has been canceled.

Evidence hints at how new identity was created for Kamiyah Mobley

Among the information released this week were files that show detectives tried to get a copy of Manigo’s birth certificate from Colleton County High School, but weren’t able to verify the authenticity of it.

Investigators said they found an altered birth certificate in Williams' home with cutouts in a separate envelope, which is likely how she created the certificate on file with the school.

They said they also learned the Social Security number the school had on file for her belonged to Morris Grogan, who was born June 11, 1939, and died in May 1983.

Kamiyah Mobley to appear on season premiere of 'Iyanla: Fix My Life'

Kamiyah Mobley, who was kidnapped as a baby in Jacksonville in 1998 and spent her life as Alexis Manigo in South Carolina, will have her story told on "Iyanla: Fix My Life."

The show said in a promotional video that Mobley will appear on the show's season premiere on March 3.

Gloria Williams pleads guilty in 1998 kidnapping of Kamiyah Mobley

The woman accused of kidnapping a newborn from a Jacksonville hospital 20 years ago and raising the girl as her own pleaded guilty Monday morning to charges of kidnapping and interference with custody.

In exchange for pleading guilty, Gloria Williams is asking for a sentence of between zero and 22 years on the kidnapping charge and zero to five years or less on the interference charge. She will be able to serve both sentences at the same time.

"When she was a junior in high school, she applied for a job, and a manager at a South Carolina Shoney's restaurant hired her, instructing her to bring her*Social Security*card the next day. It was then that Williams informed Manigo that she didn't have her Social Security number because she had taken her from a hospital when she was a baby, according to The Post and Courier.

Manigo didn't take the job, and the two didn't speak of the subject again, according to the newspaper.

When Manigo searched the subject on Google, she found old stories about a woman who had taken a newborn out of the mother's hospital room in Florida on the same day as her birthday, according to The Post and Courier. Few people knew that Williams suffered a miscarriage days before she introduced Manigo to her two sons, who were about a decade older than her, the newspaper reported."

She won't be sentenced until May. Wow, that's a ways off.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/gloria-williams-sentencing-hearing-to-begin-thursday

Gloria Williams will be back in court Thursday morning; as a judge hears testimony about how long the woman who kidnapped a Jacksonville newborn in 1998 should spend behind bars.

Judge Marianne Aho, who said the sentencing hearing could take two days, has said she will announce her sentencing decision in a few weeks.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/news/local/data/crime/gloria-williams-to-be-sentenced-for-kidnapping-baby-kamiyah/77-548256879

As part of her plea agreement, Williams faces the possibility of being sentenced zero to 22 years in prison compared to the possible life sentence if her case went to trial and she was found guilty under kidnapping and interference with custody charges.

0 - 22 years jail on the table. What does everyone think she should get / will get?

The way the court system seems to be working these days, I think she will get under 5 years to serve.

Attorney: Emotional testimony could get Gloria Williams a harsher sentence

Woman who pleaded guilty to kidnapping Kamiyah Mobley expected to testify Friday

https://www.news4jax.com/news/emoti...ria-williams-a-harsher-sentence-attorney-says

Powerful testimony Thursday from the kidnapped victim's biological parents could be the reason Williams, 52, could face up to 22 years in prison, according to a local attorney.

I'm in favor of at least 20 years. She destroyed lives by kidnapping the baby. moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back