Found Deceased FL - Lane Graves, 2, Walt Disney World, 14 June 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no doubt in my mind that there will be much sympathy for parents who can afford a $500+night/hotel and every excuse will be made for why they were in the water (at dark) when signs say to stay out of it. It will be very different from the gorilla zoo incident, where everyone was out for blood.

I only see a small sign saying "no swimming". Is there more specific signage somewhere else in the resort? Because I wouldn't classify being in 1 foot of water as swimming.
I've seen signs here in certain areas where all water contact is a bad idea, and they say "no swimming or wading", or they give specific warnings about why you can't enter the water. (e.g. crocodiles, venomous jellyfish, etc)
I think tourists who may have no idea about alligator behaviour do need more specific warnings.

There is more than one sign on the beach. There is also one or more (can't remember the number) leading up to. There is not a sign regarding wading anywhere that I can remember. It is a normal occurrence to see children sitting in the water and building sand castles during the day. I've not witnessed anyone in the water at night , but i wouldn't be surprised if it happens often. This rule is broken all the time during daylight, for sure.

There's no doubt in my mind that there will be much sympathy for parents who can afford a $500+night/hotel and every excuse will be made for why they were in the water (at dark) when signs say to stay out of it. It will be very different from the gorilla zoo incident, where everyone was out for blood.

I'm not seeing a connection between the two incidents at all

JMO

Both deal wth wild animals and possibly negilent parents.

Before the PC, people weren't even speculating the child was in the water. The parents got the benefit of the doubt--that the gorilla snatched the child on land. We know that wasn't true now--the child was in the water--but notice how people made up the craziest possible story to absolve the parents of any responsibility whatsoever?

There are signs and people are still making excuses for them. It's like the McCanns and letting their kids stay unsupervised in a hotel room. Guarnatee if this was a family at some cheap motel somewhere, the response would be much different.

LE said the boy was a foot or so in to the water (from the water's edge), not in water that was a foot deep. IMO, having sand there just makes it more likely that someone will walk along the water's edge.

Before the PC, people weren't even speculating the child was in the water. The parents got the benefit of the doubt--that the gorilla snatched the child on land. We know that wasn't true now--the child was in the water--but notice how people made up the craziest possible story to absolve the parents of any responsibility whatsoever?

There are signs and people are still making excuses for them.

I honestly think that people see a child or person getting taken by a gator in Florida as really plausible and something that has happened times before. (Though not as Disney, I mean in general.) Whereas, the gorilla situation is exceedingly rare. At least, more rare. Not defending any side of the opinion. I'm just theorizing where people might be coming from in their thinking.

And I saw some nasty comments on facebook stories before the PC. A lot of people assumed the parents made it up or had no idea what happened to the child. It's crazy how fast it forms.

The movie night on the beach probably gave the parents some semblance of safety. They may have thought it totally safe near/just in the water because of the setup.

I don't know. I'm a crazy helicopter worry mama, but I would have assumed the area was safe if the resort actively uses it at night.

Well I never got out my pitchfork for the parents in the gorilla case even if technically it was "their fault" (and even then I think it was a 'it's one of those things that happens if we're going to insist as a society on having zoos at all' kind of cases).
And I feel nothing but sympathy for these parents either.

I think they're not even connected though. You know there are potentially dangerous animals behind zoo enclosures. On an open beach with a tiny 'no swimming' sign you don't expect your child to be taken by an alligator from one foot in, especially if you're not from the area.

There are signs and people are still making excuses for them. It's like the McCanns and letting their kids stay unsupervised in a hotel room. Guarnatee if this was a family at some cheap motel somewhere, the response would be much different.

Sorry I didn't think the two parents and were not negligent JMO

CNN just reported they don't think the 2yr old will be found alive. They will continue to search but very doubtful. I'm crying. My heart and prayers go out to the family, just so sad I can't even imagine😭😭😭😭

Well I never got out my pitchfork for the parents in the gorilla case even if technically it was "their fault" (and even then I think it was a 'it's one of those things that happens if we're going to insist as a society on having zoos at all' kind of cases).
And I feel nothing but sympathy for these parents either.

I think they're not even connected though. You know there are potentially dangerous animals behind zoo enclosures. On an open beach with a tiny 'no swimming' sign you don't expect your child to be taken by an alligator from one foot in, especially if you're not from the area.

Aside from the sign(s,) it is made clear not to swim in the water. People are given fair warning not to do this. The signs are not the only warning. There is instruction. However, I have never actually seen someone being told to get out of the water. So, they don't patrol to prevent or stop I don't think. it's kind of an honor system. It is just JMO, that guests are given enough warning and instruction...that it clears Disney of major liability if something bad happens in the water.

I mean, part of me thinks it was not good on the parent's part. But part of me totally understands why people end up still getting in the water. And a gator dragging the kid away seems like something someone from the Midwest wouldn't even consider.

I would have assumed it was safe too. If the poster earlier was correct in stating a local jogger has warned the resort's front desk for years about the alligator threat, and Disney hasn't posted decent signs and warnings, then this was a tragedy waiting to happen.

Sometimes it's not about blame. It's about making things safer for others. I haven't been to Disney World (I'm a Disneyland girl myself). All I've seen is the photo posted up thread. It appears there is one tiny sign that say's no swimming on about a football field length of beach. All I'm saying is that more signage wouldn't hurt. Especially if it can save another little ones life.
No doubt, Disney will take steps to try to make sure that it never, ever happens again. I guess the beaches will now be patrolled, the little self-driven boats and canoeing at Fort wilderness will be a thing of the past, barriers will be erected under bridges and walkways...and everybody will be a little bit more fearful and a little less relaxed on their magical vacation. We now seem unable to tolerate the fact that nobody can foresee every possibility for tragedy and prevent it. While, at the same time, accepting very preventable deaths every single day.

Aside from the sign(s,) it is made clear not to swim in the water. People are given fair warning not to do this. The signs are not the only warning. There is instruction. However, I have never actually seen someone being told to get out of the water. So, they don't patrol to prevent or stop I don't think. it's kind of an honor system. It is just JMO, that guests are given enough warning and instruction...that it clears Disney of major liability if something bad happens in the water.

Maybe it will, but I know here (NSW, Australia) of a case where the warning sign was not deemed warning enough and a plaintiff in a civil suit was awarded damages against an adventure park for his injury, and the judgment was that actual physical steps to ensure patron safety were required, not just signage. The fact that they do not police people who are doing exactly what this family did will work against them in any case that gets brought against them imo.

ETA of course I know nothing about the American legal system so idk

Maybe it will, but I know here (NSW, Australia) of a case where the warning sign was not deemed warning enough and a plaintiff in a civil suit was awarded damages against an adventure park for his injury, and that actual physical steps to ensure patron safety were required, not just signage. The fact that they do not police people who are doing exactly what this family did will work against them in any case that gets brought against them imo.

You could very well be right. As I said, it's made very clear not to get in the water. The signs are the last warning, really. There are very proper warnings about staying out of the water. I mean, I definitely knew it was not OK to get in the water. It was thoroughly communicated to me. Disney has very good lawyers, and I suspect we will never hear about a settlement. (If they are even sued.) I did not spend tons of time on the beach, so there could have been patrols at some point. If there wasn't, I do agree with your point.

The parents are not going up against Disney in any sort of lawsuit/courtroom battle. Disney is one of the most powerful corporations in the world. $54 billion in revenue/year. They have the best lawyers working for them. In a week, this story will be forgotten. And in the meantime, Disney will make sure they don't look bad. They are the second biggest media conglomerate in the world...it's 3 AM right now...but tomorrow, the narrative will be much less towards any blame against Disney.

You could very well be right. As I said, it's made very clear not to get in the water. The signs are the last warning, really. There are very proper warnings about staying out of the water. I mean, I definitely knew it was not OK to get in the water. It was thoroughly communicated to me. Disney has very good lawyers, and I suspect we will never hear about a settlement. (If they are even sued.) I did not spend tons of time on the beach, so there could have been patrols at some point. If there wasn't, I do agree with your point.

This case - if there is a case, the parents might not sue, I like to think I wouldn't in this situation - probably would just be settled out of court. I can't see Disney actually seeing it all the way to court when they could just settle.

Never in my wildest nightmares worrying about things that could happen to my children would I think this could happen. I know nothing about alligators, and I wouldn't expect them unless I was specifically informed about them. There's a big difference between warnings of "no swimming" compared to the threat that alligators are around and that they feed at night.

Praying for a miracle for this little boy and his family.

Maybe it will, but I know here (NSW, Australia) of a case where the warning sign was not deemed warning enough and a plaintiff in a civil suit was awarded damages against an adventure park for his injury, and the judgment was that actual physical steps to ensure patron safety were required, not just signage. The fact that they do not police people who are doing exactly what this family did will work against them in any case that gets brought against them imo.

ETA of course I know nothing about the American legal system so idk

The U.S. is probably the most litigious country in the world and there are warning signs on just about every product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dianthe